Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 100 guests

Post #501841  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:10 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Compare the criticism Mustafi gets to others who make as many mistakes as him, and at at this point a much higher rate. When people start being fair towards Mustafi, I’ll stop mentioning him. It’s easy.

Or the alternative, you like him because he’s German and his mistakes were actually that bad, that frequent, for that long, for 30 million odd quid.

Potato potato.

I couldn’t give a stuff that he’s German. I simply think it’s pathetic to make out he’s as bad as some people try to. Mustafi played well in the first half of last season and going back to the question of the players that improved under Emery, at that point he was one of them. He was dreadfully over priced when we bought him. But the transfer fee isn’t his fault. Wenger must have agreed to pay what Valencia wanted.

Post #501842  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:18 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Keep moaning about yesterday lads :laughing7:

It seems your mission in life to deflect any criticism of Unai but is not that one game he is being judged ... ....... the Europa final , shocking displays against Brighton , Palace , Wolves , Leicester last year

That diamond midfield formation played right into Liverpool's hands , not wanting to hoof a ball out of defence got us into all sorts strife .These are obvious Emery instructions

" spanishness " probably influenced Edu and Emery to grab Luiz but with two Chelsea rejects available I'd rather we'd bought Cahill .

I don't want him sacked [ YET ] but going out on a limb I don't think he is the right man for the job .

I think the players have exactly the same problem as you. They do not believe that tippy tappy and keeping possession at the back will succeed in these games. I thought that Liverpool would let us play a bit more than Burnley did when shutting down the backs - but they didn't and I suspect neither will Spurs or any other team for the rest of the season. We always look like we are panicking when they shut us down. There was Ceba pass yesterday that had sheer panic written all over it and went directly to one of their players about 20 metres out. We will go okay and win a lot of games but we simply don't look good enough at the moment with this tactic.

Let us put it this way top 2 is out of the question and we are only 2 games in. No I didn't expect to finish top 2 but it would be great if we had at least an honourable defeat at Liverpool - see Norwich and Southampton this season. We didn't and played the same failed tactics as the pool games last year - just with some different players

Post #501843  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So spurs have lost to Newcastle who we beat.

The only way forward for them now is to sack their manager for not getting more out of the players, sack Kane, sack Ericsson, sack levy, get rid of that new ground because there’s no alternative approach that works right.

Yesterday's performance was shite, Top Gun. Absolute shite. We are not Burnley, Watford or Brighton. We are Arsenal. We parked the bus to an embarrassing extent. Nobody was suggesting that we should go all out gung-ho attack. But a team can try to compete with a defensive emphasis. Liverpool have arguably the best fullback pairing in world football. Our tactic was to give them all the time and space they wanted while putting no pressure whatsoever on their midfield. Playing oit from the back to an absurd extent against one of the two best teams in world football at pressing high. If we take that approach in our away games against the rest of the top 6 we will be lucky to get anything. Hopefully, we will see a very different performance next weekend.

Let’s completely forget about Man. City and Liverpool.
The league that we are in consists of Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man.Utd.
We can do it but if the ignorant among our fans keep criticising our boys it will be much more difficult.

We did our best againest Liverpool but our defenders that played simply were not good enough and cost us the game. Individual errors that were not the managers fault.

Post #501844  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:29 am 

dec wrote:
Nobody was suggesting that we should go all out gung-ho attack.

I'd mused pre game the best form of defence would be go full gung ho attack . Play Aubameyang Lac and Pépé together .

We don't have anyone with real defensive nous in the first place so the way we were set up seems suicidal

Post #501845  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:35 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It seems your mission in life to deflect any criticism of Unai but is not that one game he is being judged ... ....... the Europa final , shocking displays against Brighton , Palace , Wolves , Leicester last year

That diamond midfield formation played right into Liverpool's hands , not wanting to hoof a ball out of defence got us into all sorts strife .These are obvious Emery instructions

This type of crap makes me laugh.

There’s isnt a formation that we can create that wouldn’t get us into strife with that defence !

A wantaway left back about to depart
Kamakiaze brazilian defender
An inexperienced midfielder being forced to play out of position
And a Greek guy running around trying to cover the inadequacies of the other 3

Come on mate. :laughing7:

The scouse full backs were always going to have a field day.

Post #501846  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:39 am 

Klopp in programme: “I think this current Arsenal team might just be the best yet [that I’ve faced], in terms of quality, and for that reason I think today pitches two of Europe’s best against each other. I think there is zero doubt Arsenal will be even stronger this season."

"They have recruited amazing talent this season... It's a complete nonsense if you don't view this Arsenal, with this manager, as being one of the best teams in the country."

Arsenal fans : *%^@ off back Basque Country Emery

Post #501847  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:43 am 

Another quote from Former Liverpool left back Alan Kennedy

"#Arsenal have great players, they are just bedding in at the minute. The more they work together, the better they will be. I think they are going to do better than people expected this season."

Arsenal fans after first defeat in 3: sack the entire management team !

Post #501848  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 am 

People who want Emery fired after 3 games are the type of people that have 3 samurai swords on their mantelpiece

Post #501849  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:49 am 

Gary Neville on Arsenal's performance today: "It’s the manner of the performance sometimes with Arsenal in the past we’ve been critical of. I’ve not seen that today, they are still going, they’ve not left anything in the changing room, it’s all out there on the pitch."

Meanwhile arsenal fans committing mass suicide and demanding the managers head

Post #501850  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 am 

Emery should come good in 2020 :42laughter:

Post #501851  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 am 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:
Nobody was suggesting that we should go all out gung-ho attack.

I'd mused pre game the best form of defence would be go full gung ho attack . Play Aubameyang Lac and Pépé together .

We don't have anyone with real defensive nous in the first place so the way we were set up seems suicidal

I don't know. Best chance against liverpool is to try to keep it tight and fluke it. In an open game they are going to outscore you.

Even if you are right, I thing the reasoning would probably be that such an approach might lead to a spectacular rout, of the 8-2 variety. Lose 3-1 at Anfield its "Ok, happens. Move on". A cricket score and the knives are out.

Post #501852  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:26 am 

Spurs have had a woeful start. They beat villa but we’re behind and playing badly for long periods and needed a lucky deflection to fall right in to Kane’s path. They got battered at City, replay that game 100 times and city win 99 of them, it was so one-sided, and then get beaten 1-0 at home to what many people think are the worst team in the league.

They still haven’t sorted the Eriksen situation, and also have their two first choice CB bettering the last 1/ months of their deal.
Their full backs, once their biggest strength, now look weak, Ali constantly injured and ndombele trying to hold a central midfield together all by himself.

Next weekend they will of course get their standard penalty that they always get but we must must beat them!

Post #501853  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 am 

4 teams for 2 champions league places. If City get a ban then maybe even 5th qualifies.
Every time City or Liverpool play one of Chelsea, Man U or spurs I’ll be cheering them to win. Those two will by a long way ahead in 1st and 2nd again. I’ll cheer every dropped point from the other 3 because we’ll drop plenty this year. We obviously need to pick up our away form but must be perfect at home, especially when those others have already dropped points to Leicester, palace and Newcastle at home

Post #501854  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
No I didn't expect to finish top 2 but it would be great if we had at least an honourable defeat at Liverpool - see Norwich and Southampton this season.

To be fair, Southampton played them at home after Liverpool had played a mid-week game with a full strength team against Chelsea.

Norwich was swatted away like an annoying fly - 1-0 down 7 minutes in and 4-0 at half time. I saw that game and at no point during it did Norwich look even remotely like they'd be able to snatch a point.

I think a lot of our success this season depends on Emery being able to find that first choice eleven, whatever it is. Klopp did a fair bit of rotating in his first few years at Liverpool, but now he barely changes anything unless he's forced to, and you can see that when they play.

Post #501855  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:44 am 

Rich wrote:
Next weekend they will of course get their standard penalty that they always get but we must must beat them!

It was really bad timing to go up to Anfield this early in the season with so much new blood in the team; we have a new defensive leader in central defense (no matter what people think of Luiz, that’s clearly what he’s been signed as), a new creative centrepiece in midfield, and a new wide forward who is probably going to be one of our main attacking threats this season.

Conversely, it looks like an opportune time to face Tottenham. The Eriksen situation is really hanging over them. They looked lost without him against Villa, and only managed to turn it around when he was subbed on. Without him yesterday they looked lost again. Then again, it’s a derby and they’re usually pretty unpredictable.

Good thing about this weekend’s results by our rivals is that at worst after next weekend we’re one point behind Tottenham, Chelsea and United. I think beating Tottenham would be massive for the confidence of the team, but points wise we can survive a loss easily.

Post #501856  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So spurs have lost to Newcastle who we beat.

The only way forward for them now is to sack their manager for not getting more out of the players, sack Kane, sack Ericsson, sack levy, get rid of that new ground because there’s no alternative approach that works right.

Yesterday's performance was shite, Top Gun. Absolute shite. We are not Burnley, Watford or Brighton. We are Arsenal. We parked the bus to an embarrassing extent. Nobody was suggesting that we should go all out gung-ho attack. But a team can try to compete with a defensive emphasis. Liverpool have arguably the best fullback pairing in world football. Our tactic was to give them all the time and space they wanted while putting no pressure whatsoever on their midfield. Playing oit from the back to an absurd extent against one of the two best teams in world football at pressing high. If we take that approach in our away games against the rest of the top 6 we will be lucky to get anything. Hopefully, we will see a very different performance next weekend.

Hi Dec,

Exactly as I saw it.

My reservations about Emery go back beyond the abysmal run-in last season. Too many strange team selections and tactics. Plus I haven't got a clue what he says in his interviews. :laughing7:

Post #501857  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:10 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Compare the criticism Mustafi gets to others who make as many mistakes as him, and at at this point a much higher rate. When people start being fair towards Mustafi, I’ll stop mentioning him. It’s easy.

Or the alternative, you like him because he’s German and his mistakes were actually that bad, that frequent, for that long, for 30 million odd quid.

Potato potato.

No, I'm not having that, Ash, nationality has no bearing on this. Mertesacker is german and Bernard readily admitted he was shite. :laughing7:

Post #501858  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

We can do it but if the ignorant among our fans keep criticising our boys it will be much more difficult.

We did our best againest Liverpool but our defenders that played simply were not good enough and cost us the game. Individual errors that were not the managers fault.

Both Dec and Kiwi are right, TG, it was an awfully negative approach encompassing an ill-conceived diamond formation against a team who are rampant down both flanks, with two of the best fullbacks and wide forwards in the business.

Anyway, I off to the pub later with my new pool cue, picking up my Jim Davidson tickets on the way. :laughing7:

Post #501859  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 am 

socrates wrote:
Plus I haven't got a clue what he says in his interviews. :laughing7:

To be fair, socrates, you can't completely exclude the possibility that he's making a brilliant analytical point.

Post #501860  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:32 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Plus I haven't got a clue what he says in his interviews. :laughing7:

To be fair, socrates, you can't completely exclude the possibility that he's making a brilliant analytical point.

:laughing7:

That is very true, Haz. Maybe they should put up subtitles.

Post #501861  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 am 

socrates wrote:
...Maybe they should put up subtitles.
No need - everybody knows we are sub-title.

Post #501862  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:31 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Both Dec and Kiwi are right, TG, it was an awfully negative approach encompassing an ill-conceived diamond formation against a team who are rampant down both flanks, with two of the best fullbacks and wide forwards in the business.

Anyway, I off to the pub later with my new pool cue, picking up my Jim Davidson tickets on the way. :laughing7:

As gunnerblog wrote this morning. We were done by errors rather than strategy

If we played Bayern in the same formation people wouldn’t be moaning about the formation. They are just better than us.

Did spurs play the wrong formation againest Newcastle ? Sometimes you simply don’t win and you have to hold your hands up. If he can beat spurs he’s 3 in 4 and many will have egg on their faces.

3rd, ..... we just need 3rd. Everyone knows we can’t win a title yet

Post #501863  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am 

I understand a Ben Stokes may have been driving this car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMJzkI ... x=125&t=0s

Post #501864  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:13 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
socrates wrote:
...Maybe they should put up subtitles.
No need - everybody knows we are sub-title.

Post #501865  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gary Neville on Arsenal's performance today: "It’s the manner of the performance sometimes with Arsenal in the past we’ve been critical of. I’ve not seen that today, they are still going, they’ve not left anything in the changing room, it’s all out there on the pitch."

Meanwhile arsenal fans committing mass suicide and demanding the managers head

Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true. Very few are calling off his head yet. But if Emery doesn't figure out a way to get some defensive organization in this team with the players that he has then he is simply not a good manager. Norwich didn't gift 3 goals. Southhampton didn't ship 3 goals. And before you crap on about individual errors those teams also didn't hire David Luiz who is a known disaster zone. Not did they try and play out from the back against the worst possible team to try it against.

Emery stuck to a way of playing that was guaranteed to be a stupid idea against Liverpool and the mug did it anyway. That is as moronic as Wenger at his worst

Post #501866  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

If we played Bayern in the same formation people wouldn’t be moaning about the formation. They are just better than us.

Did spurs play the wrong formation againest Newcastle ? Sometimes you simply don’t win and you have to hold your hands up. If he can beat spurs he’s 3 in 4 and many will have egg on their faces.

Is that what you thought when Bayern beat us 10-2 on aggregate with Wenger in charge? "Oh well they're just 8 goals better than us anyway". Give me a break.

Post #501867  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

"#Arsenal have great players, they are just bedding in at the minute. The more they work together, the better they will be. I think they are going to do better than people expected this season."

Of course, the first valuable opinion I always turn to is Alan Kennedy rather that watching what I saw in the match.

Post #501868  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:53 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is that what you thought when Bayern beat us 10-2 on aggregate with Wenger in charge? "Oh well they're just 8 goals better than us anyway". Give me a break.

Were third in the league.

The 2 teams above us are miles better than us. So why are our fans moaning ? No matter the set up Liverpool beat us with that makeshift defence.

It looks like spurs are flogging Ericsson for next to nothing which is a massive blow for them. 3rd or 4th is absolutely on !

So why not just enjoy the ride and accept the fact it’s likely we will get stuffed by city and scousers until we strengthen further but 3rd or 4th would be absolutely massive for the club.

Post #501869  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:55 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Of course, the first valuable opinion I always turn to is Alan Kennedy rather that watching what I saw in the match.

Well everyone from Neville to the blinking guardian said exactly the same thing. Impressive performance by Liverpool but a far more assured showing from Arsenal than in a long while.

Our fans are the only ones behaving like baby’s and criticising

Post #501870  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Well everyone from Neville to the blinking guardian said exactly the same thing. Impressive performance by Liverpool but a far more assured showing from Arsenal than in a long while.

Is that so?

https://talksport.com/football/592686/u ... p-tactics/

Post #501871  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:01 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is that so?

https://talksport.com/football/592686/u ... p-tactics/

Hahahahahaba

Talksport you must be *%^@*** kidding right ?

I won’t even bother reading it. Which pissed up ex player did they get to write the clickbait. Brazil?

Post #501872  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Were third in the league.

The 2 teams above us are miles better than us. So why are our fans moaning ? No matter the set up Liverpool beat us with that makeshift defence.

It looks like spurs are flogging Ericsson for next to nothing which is a massive blow for them. 3rd or 4th is absolutely on !

So why not just enjoy the ride and accept the fact it’s likely we will get stuffed by city and scousers until we strengthen further but 3rd or 4th would be absolutely massive for the club.

Who said they thought we would beat Liverpool? Or Man City? Most that I've seen are merely complaint about obvious and repeated mistakes like playing it out from the back or total lack of defensive discipline. After putting up with diabolical levels of delusion under Wenger, why should Emery or any player for this team be given a free pass when the same patterns are emerging. Like I've said a few times already, he has until Christmas to show that he knows what he is doing and to improve what is happening on the pitch. Anything else is smoke, mirrors and a load of old cobblers.

Post #501873  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Hahahahahaba

I won’t even bother reading it. Which pissed up ex player did they get to write the clickbait. Brazil?

So it's the "I won't try to dispute the facts but attack the source routine". Is Brexit part of your next campaign?

Post #501874  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hahahahahaba

So it's the "I won't try to dispute the facts but attack the source routine". Is Brexit part of your next campaign?

Actually I’d wage a little bet many of the people criticising Emery are brexity themselves. It seems very “i want my cake n all”

Post #501875  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:21 pm 

We really should do no worse than a draw on Sunday but a win would be a huge boost for morale.

Post #501876  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 pm 

Post #501877  Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
No, I'm not having that, Ash, nationality has no bearing on this. Mertesacker is german and Bernard readily admitted he was shite. :laughing7:

I bet we’d be a damn site better off defensively if Mertesacker was still playing.

Post #501878  Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:11 am 

Emery will make this team come good soon. I trust he will. Just fix that playing out from the back strategy.

Post #501879  Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:48 am 

grantyboy wrote:

Peer out of your window ........ right at this moment ; little Scotty Boy is passing overhead winging his way back home ...the ten days passed in a nano second . :1cry:

Post #501880  Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

I bet we’d be a damn site better off defensively if Mertesacker was still playing.

You're not wrong Bernard.

I said the same a few weeks ago.

With VAR now in operation playing Sokratis and Luis as CBs looks like the equivalent of playing dumb and dumber :laughing7:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12544, 12545, 12546, 12547, 12548, 12549, 12550 ... 14269  Next