Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 93 guests

Post #501641  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:54 pm 

I'm worried about a thrashing having to face Liverpool so early. LFC looks like they haven't skipped a beat since last season. I'd like a few more games under our belt where we get a settled XI first and some semblance of an effective system going. But it is what it is.

And then Tottenham as well soon after, Man Utd in a little over a month.

Hoping to see us step up to the challenge. Fingers crossed.

Post #501642  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
I think the key to getting the best out of Özil is having central midfielders who can break the lines and get the ball to him quickly, Özil finds those pockets of spaces between the lines. His best season was with Cazorla deeper finding him and meaning Özil didn’t have to drop deep to get the ball and still have 8 players in front of him and the goal. Could Ceballos be that player? Could Luiz even do this?

Central defence is arguably the weakest part of what I consider a generally strong squad. Luiz is quite possibly our best central defender at the moment. I’m thus not sure we should be making central defence even weaker by moving our best central defender into midfield, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

No, I mean a central defender who can step out of the line and play a fast, aggressive pass in to Özil’s feet. No need to move Luiz in the def-mid for him to be able to do this

Post #501643  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Central defence is arguably the weakest part of what I consider a generally strong squad. Luiz is quite possibly our best central defender at the moment. I’m thus not sure we should be making central defence even weaker by moving our best central defender into midfield, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

I have no idea why people keep suggesting this

We have 3 anchoring midfielders in the squad already and playing anymore than 2 of them at any one time unbalances the side. unless there’s an injury crisis of epic proportions it’s not happening.

Probably because he is the best long passer at the club and a better tackler than all of our midfielders. He is needed far more at centre back though. We are in reasonable shape in central midfield.

Post #501644  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I have no idea why people keep suggesting this

We have 3 anchoring midfielders in the squad already and playing anymore than 2 of them at any one time unbalances the side. unless there’s an injury crisis of epic proportions it’s not happening.

Probably because he is the best long passer at the club and a better tackler than all of our midfielders. He is needed far more at centre back though. We are in reasonable shape in central midfield.

He’s a better tackler than Torreira ? Or a better long passer than Xhaka ?

Big claim.

Post #501645  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:30 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
No. :icon_rabbit:

I think Caballos are a traditional Chilean trouser, as in 'nice pair of Caballos, senor'. I'm sure Daz could confirm.

One should take care. Saying 'nice pair of ****, senor' (insert Spanish word you don't know meaning of) could get you into el conflicto, if not la desgracia.

Caballos actually means horses, according to google, so you won't cause offense in this case (albeit they might consider you off your rocker).

Post #501646  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

So it is happening then.

Post #501647  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

He’s a better tackler than Torreira ? Or a better long passer than Xhaka ?

Big claim.

Not really. He's a very talented footballer. His weakness has always been his concentration. He became a bit of a joke figure as we all love to watch Chelsea players make mistakes and there was the catastrophic game against Germany in the world cup semi. Excellent striker of a football though.

Post #501648  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:52 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Stoke and Middlesborough are 2 teams I hope to see go further down. Boro because Pulis is manager, dislike his style.

Not any more he isn’t - Jonathan Woodgate is Boro manager now

Thanks for the update. Where did he go to?

Post #501649  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

No, I mean a central defender who can step out of the line and play a fast, aggressive pass in to Özil’s feet. No need to move Luiz in the def-mid for him to be able to do this

As long as the ball breaking out of defence does not land with Xhaka. He is too slow and tends to dilly dally just for the sake of it. And sometimes, comes up with a poorly weighted pass causing the entire defence to back-pedal. Except him, because he is too slow in the head to react immediately.

Post #501650  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:55 am 

Hodd,

How is the mood around the grounds now that we have these new faces in?

Post #501651  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I know some on the forum believe that it is not healthy to hold grudges but it still works for me.

I don't hold grudges.

My father used to hold grudges though. I'll never forgive him for that.

Post #501652  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:28 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I know some on the forum believe that it is not healthy to hold grudges but it still works for me.

I don't hold grudges.

My father used to hold grudges though. I'll never forgive him for that.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #501653  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:42 am 

Quite a few media reports telling us Emery has told Elneny and Mustafi they need to leave.

Post #501654  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:07 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Quite a few media reports telling us Emery has told Elneny and Mustafi they need to leave.

Great news if true.

Post #501655  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:24 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Great news if true.

If he achieved this it would be a real achievement. The momentum for change at the club will make a real difference. Whether Emery is still with us to enjoy the changes is unknown. I can say that even if we didn't get top 4 this year I would be disappointed but I would still give him another year.

Post #501656  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:36 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Great news if true.

If he achieved this it would be a real achievement. The momentum for change at the club will make a real difference. Whether Emery is still with us to enjoy the changes is unknown. I can say that even if we didn't get top 4 this year I would be disappointed but I would still give him another year.

Agreed.

Post #501657  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 am 

Interesting view from Keown. Trying to emulate Barca is no crime IF you have the money to get the type of player that can pull that off. I think there are other issues regarding Wenger and his lack of success.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/wenger-tri ... 6txnd3rli3

‘Wenger tried too hard to make Arsenal like Barcelona’ – Emery trying to get balance back, says Keown

Post #501658  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:05 am 

Glad to see Emery finally getting rid of two players who simply shouldn't be playing for us.

Post #501659  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:12 am 

gooner7 wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
Not any more he isn’t - Jonathan Woodgate is Boro manager now

Don't think he has another gig - I've heard his voice as a pundit on the radio recently :7angers:

Post #501660  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hodd,

Haven't been to Colney recently, but the mood is very upbeat at Hale End - not least because of the academy boys doing well in the 1st team.
Lot's of discussions about how the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang seem to have taken the likes of AMN, Joe and Reiss under their wing.

Post #501661  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:09 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Great news if true.

In central defence it would only leave us with Luiz, Sokratis, Holding (when he’s fit again), Chambers (who was rubbish in central defence for Fulham last season), Mavropanos (who was rubbish in central defence for Arsenal when he played last season), and Medley who’s a young kid. Is that strong enough in quality and numbers for a team chasing a top four place in the Premier League and three cup competitions?

Unless I’ve miscalculated the number of games finalists in the three cups have to play (13 in the Europa League, 7 in the League Cup and 6 in the FA Cup), the fewest number of games we will play is 46 (38 in the Premier League, 6 in the Europa League, 1 in the League Cup and 1 in the FA Cup). The most we will have to play (without FA Cup replays) is 64 (38 plus 13 in the Europa League and 7 In the League Cup with the two leg semi-final and 6 in the FA Cup with a one game semi).

Realistically it’s probably going to somewhere between 46 and 64. But it won’t shock me if we reach the final of the Europa League again and the quarter final of both the League and FA Cups. That’s 59 matches (38 + 13 + 4 + 4). I’m not denying that Mustafi can make horrible errors but he can play well. He was easily as good as Holding in the first half of last season. I remain to convinced that it’s good idea to get rid of him now.

Post #501662  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:19 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Great news if true.

In central defence it would only leave us with Luiz, Sokratis, Holding (when he’s fit again), Chambers (who was rubbish in central defence for Fulham last season), Mavropanos (who was rubbish in central defence for Arsenal when he played last season), and Medley who’s a young kid. Is that strong enough in quality and numbers for a team chasing a top four place in the Premier League and three cup completions?

Unless I’ve miscalculated the number of games finalists in the three cups have to play (13 in the Europa League, 7 in the League Cup and 6 in the FA Cup), the fewest number of games we will play is 46 (38 in the Premier League, 6 in the Europa League, 1 in the League Cup and 1 in the FA Cup). The most we will have to play (without FA Cup replays) is 64 (38 plus 13 in the Europa League and 7 In the League Cup with the two leg semi-final and 6 in the FA Cup with a one game semi).

Realistically it’s probably going to somewhere between 46 and 64. But it won’t shock me if we reach the final of the Europa League again and the quarter final of both the League and FA Cups. That’s 59 matches (38 + 13 + 4 + 4). I’m not denying that Mustafi can make horrible errors but he can play well. He was easily as good as Holding in the first half of last season. I remain to convinced that it’s good idea to get rid of him now.

All fair points Bern but when your own crowd boo you when you take the field, it's got to be time to go.

Post #501663  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 am 

....rumours that Özil is sick again.

Post #501664  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hodd,

Haven't been to Colney recently, but the mood is very upbeat at Hale End - not least because of the academy boys doing well in the 1st team.
Lot's of discussions about how the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang seem to have taken the likes of AMN, Joe and Reiss under their wing.

Love hearing the last part about Lacazette and Aubameyang. I think the fans are a bit more optimistic than we were at the end of last season.

Although I would caution fans at being over optimistic. We have a long way to go...but we seem to be on the right road there.

Post #501665  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 am 

DHD wrote:
All fair points Bern but when your own crowd boo you when you take the field, it's got to be time to go.

I didn’t go to the pre-season friendly it happened in. But if it happened, I accept that.

Post #501666  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Great news if true.

In central defence it would only leave us with Luiz, Sokratis, Holding (when he’s fit again), Chambers (who was rubbish in central defence for Fulham last season), Mavropanos (who was rubbish in central defence for Arsenal when he played last season), and Medley who’s a young kid. Is that strong enough in quality and numbers for a team chasing a top four place in the Premier League and three cup competitions?

All true, ceteris paribus. But I was assuming they'll remain until the next window and that there will be a sucession plan. I doubt Emery is as slapdash as Wenger in these matters.

Post #501667  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Don't think he has another gig - I've heard his voice as a pundit on the radio recently :7angers:

Well, everyone deserves something in life. Hope he succeeds in his new endavour. Just don't be a football coach again. His tactics are thuggish.

Post #501668  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:37 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hodd,

I could cry tears of joy. That’s such a good dynamic to have at the heart of the club. For all that there is still so much to do, and the ultimate goals of overhauling City and Liverpool or winning a champions league still might be insurmountable, this has the feeling of exactly what we wanted.

Post #501669  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:41 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Well, everyone deserves something in life. Hope he succeeds in his new endavour. Just don't be a football coach again. His tactics are thuggish.

Does that mean he deserves a ‘commited’ tackle to ‘let him know you’re there’.

And then to be whined at self-righteously.

Post #501670  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:39 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Pulis, I am apathetic about somewhat, shading to negative and couldn't care less if he fails. Fat Sam? I want him to suffer, just like how his players didn't seem to care much when our players suffered broken bones. When I love, I love completely, when I hate.....hehehehe :7laughter:

Post #501671  Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:49 pm 

Ash wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

I could cry tears of joy. That’s such a good dynamic to have at the heart of the club. For all that there is still so much to do, and the ultimate goals of overhauling City and Liverpool or winning a champions league still might be insurmountable, this has the feeling of exactly what we wanted.

Liked Emery’s comments on mustafi. Total honesty

Wenger would have indulged him far longer. Moving in the right direction

Post #501672  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 am 

I hope this is not going to be one one of those games where I change the channel in disgust after 20 minutes and we are 3-0 down and I become genuinely curious what tile the hostess will choose for the bathroom on Home & Garden TV.

Post #501673  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 am 

There is a definite air of excitement after the amazing summer transfer window. However, realistically today has come a bit too soon. A fit and fully integrated Pépé, Tierney, Ceballos and Luiz and we can hopefully give any team a decent game but I would expect us to lose today. I will be happy as long as we show signs that we are not intimidated, cause them problems and are not embarrassed.

Post #501674  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:52 am 

Today will be an interesting test for Ceballos. It's a game that a player with his level of technical skill should be shining in.

Now, I am cutting him a bit of slack because its early in the season and he's not full fit and up to speed with the PL but it would be lovely to see him play without fear.

I am in two minds about whether Xhaka should return today. Willock, Ceballos and Guendouzi is an exciting trio, a lovely combination of technical ability and athleticism, but certainly not the most disciplined or experienced midfield I've ever seen.

Post #501675  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:57 am 

I wonder of Emery will start Pépé today. Clearly, his pace and trickery could give Liverpools marauding fullbacks something to think about so it might be quite an astute tactical ploy. On the other hand, if he's not quite match fit and isn't able to track back to help out AMN it could be an issue. Big decision.

Post #501676  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:06 am 

socrates wrote:
Today will be an interesting test for Ceballos. It's a game that a player with his level of technical skill should be shining in.

Now, I am cutting him a bit of slack because its early in the season and he's not full fit and up to speed with the PL but it would be lovely to see him play without fear.

I am in two minds about whether Xhaka should return today. Willock, Ceballos and Guendouzi is an exciting trio, a lovely combination of technical ability and athleticism, but certainly not the most disciplined or experienced midfield I've ever seen.

Hi Soc

I would bring Torreira in rather than Xhaka. Liverpool will start at a ferocious pace and the game could be quite frenetic for a while. I'd favour Torreira over Willock in those circumstances especially with the other two midfielders also being very young.

Post #501677  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:06 am 

socrates wrote:
There is a definite air of excitement after the amazing summer transfer window. However, realistically today has come a bit too soon. A fit and fully integrated Pépé, Tierney, Ceballos and Luiz and we can hopefully give any team a decent game but I would expect us to lose today. I will be happy as long as we show signs that we are not intimidated, cause them problems and are not embarrassed.

Morning Socrates. I know what you say is the logical way of looking at today’s game. But I can’t help feeling cautiously optimistic. We are going to have to play well defensively as well as offensively. From what I’ve seen of him on YouTube I found it impossible to judge how good a defender Tierney is, simply because every single clip had him attacking. In domestic matches I don’t suppose Celtic have an awful lot of defending to do, so I can understand that. But Monreal has been a fine defender for a long time now, and I was pleased to see him return to something like his old form against Burnley.

Post #501678  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Morning Socrates. I know what you say is the logical way of looking at today’s game. But I can’t help feeling cautiously optimistic. We are going to have to play well defensively as well as offensively. From what I’ve seen of him on YouTube I found it impossible to judge how good a defender Tierney is, simply because every single clip had him attacking. In domestic matches I don’t suppose Celtic have an awful lot of defending to do, so I can understand that. But Monreal has been a fine defender for a long time now, and I was pleased to see him return to something like his old form against Burnley.

Celtic in their first 2 games of the SPL season won 7-0 and 5-2. Then they came up against the giants of Cluj and conceded 5 goals over 2 legs. Defence rarely seems to be tested and so we won't know about Tierney and his defensive abilities. Until he has played a number of games in the EPL team and other managers get to look for his weakness we don't know if he is good enough. I share your concern of his abilities. Monreal will not be able to play a full season without a rest and so he had better be everything that has been promised.

As for Liverpool game - a good performance is what i hope for.

Post #501679  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 am 

DHD wrote:

I heard from a friend in the media that he has 24 hour police protection. It's a really serious situation allegedly. Not sure how that tallies with him training though. I don't know how they got caught up in this gang thing but it's really heavy stuff apparently.

Post #501680  Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:34 am 

Darren wrote:
DHD wrote:

I heard from a friend in the media that he has 24 hour police protection. It's a really serious situation allegedly. Not sure how that tallies with him training though. I don't know how they got caught up in this gang thing but it's really heavy stuff apparently.

Well that’s sub optimal.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12539, 12540, 12541, 12542, 12543, 12544, 12545 ... 14269  Next