Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 99 guests

Post #501601  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just watching an interesting news report about an englishman described as Prince Andrew and a Jeffrey Epstein, who appears to have been a good friend. Interesting video of the said Prince Andrew peering out of doorway. The implication of the report seemed to be that a rather young woman/girl was leaving the residence with the said Epstein.

Very fortunate that the said Epstein is now dead and will never be able to tell us what happened. Might also have been able to tell people something about an apparent friend of Andrews called Virginia Roberts.

He was meeting with Epstein 2 years after his first conviction.

Whilst it will never likely be proven now his behaviour is obvious and damning. If it looks like a duck and quacks like one it’s a duck.

Lizards everywhere

Not a good look. just another person who just happened to be in the wrong place or.....

I had seen nothing of this in the Australian media until today. Not that I have much love or interest for the royal family. They come and visit us and think they are doing us a favour but it costs taxpayers millions of dollars in everything from security to hosting functions.

Post #501602  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:25 am 

Importantly we have spurs, Man U and Chelsea all dropping points so far. I can still see us losing to Liverpool so expect us on 6 points after 3 games. Man U and spurs could go to 7 points. Psychologically I think it is important even at this early stage to stay in touch with top 4 rivals.

Post #501603  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 am 

Rich wrote:
Importantly we have spurs, Man U and Chelsea all dropping points so far. I can still see us losing to Liverpool so expect us on 6 points after 3 games. Man U and spurs could go to 7 points. Psychologically I think it is important even at this early stage to stay in touch with top 4 rivals.

Or we win at Pool and one of worst defences in Arsenal history goes on for an undefeated season. dream the dream...

Post #501604  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:24 am 

Easy to forget that as good as AMN and Monreal have started the season that we’re still missing our first choice full backs. Emery places a lot of his game plan on his full backs.
I’d certainly like to be facing Liverpool without their first choice full backs!

Post #501605  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Or we win at Pool and one of worst defences in Arsenal history goes on for an undefeated season. dream the dream...

Well, the defence is better than Liverpool’s or City’s so far this season....

If we could somehow get a smash and grab victory at Anfield that would really wake a few people up to what we could achieve. I just hope we perform somewhere close to what we can, then if Liverpool are better fair enough. Last season there was awful, getting the early goal and within 5 minutes just mentally crumbling to be behind, and the complete parting of the defence for one of Firminho’s goals and two brain fades to give away two penalties!

Post #501606  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:33 am 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:
We still have it here. The Cerebos plant is fairly near where we live. There are often flamingos on the evaporating pools.

Love these old brands and their tag lines and images. Cerebos used used to make bisto too.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-south ... 85848.html

Attachment:
Golden Syrup.jpg

"Out of the strong came forth sweetness"

Buggered if I could ever figure out what that quote had to do with Golden Syrup or a fly-blown lion!

It's a biblical riddle. Its exact meaning caused quite a bit of angst for the protagonist too.
Judges 14:14 or thereabout.

This one is lovely

Bisto is so called because it "Browns, Seasons and Thickens in One".

Post #501607  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am 

Ash wrote:
DHD wrote:

Attachment:
Golden Syrup.jpg

Buggered if I could ever figure out what that quote had to do with Golden Syrup or a fly-blown lion!

Samson’s riddle from the book of Judges

He killed a lion - some bees made a hive in the carcass.

My dad worked for Tate and Lyle for 40 years. That is a really class label. One of the best.
"Stronger than a lion, and sweeter than honey" indeed.

Post #501608  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

Attachment:
Golden Syrup.jpg

It's a biblical riddle. Its exact meaning caused quite a bit of angst for the protagonist too.

This one is lovely

I'd never heard of Bisto, actually, Decaf - other than as one of Cannon Balls' many adversaries on the forum.

Post #501609  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:27 am 

The Daily Mail is saying Mustafi could be going to Roma on loan, with an option to buy next summer for £23m. The Sun is running the same story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... -deal.html

With Koscielny already gone, if it happens (which I realise isn’t guaranteed) we do look light in central defence this season. Luiz, Sokratis and Holding when he gets fit will all have to be rested at points, surely. Monreal has played there but in my view has been a left back throughout his career for a good reason. Namely, he’s miles better at left back. Chambers was terrible in central defence for Fulham last season, although was semi-decent at Newcastle in the first game. Mavropanos was so poor in his infrequent games last season. Medley looked much better, but is so young can much be expected of him this season?

Post #501610  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
The Daily Mail is saying Mustafi could be going to Roma on loan, with an option to buy next summer for £23m. The Sun is running the same story.

With Koscielny already gone, if it happens (which I realise isn’t guaranteed) we do look light in central defence this season. Luiz, Sokratis and Holding when he gets fit will all have to be rested at points, surely. Monreal has played there but in my view has been a left back throughout his career for a good reason. Namely, he’s miles better at left back. Chambers was terrible in central defence for Fulham last season, although was semi-decent at Newcastle in the first game. Mavropanos was so poor in his infrequent games last season. Medley looked much better, but is so young can much be expected of him this season?

Presumably Saliba will be in the mix next season, albeit somewhat young and raw.

Post #501611  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:16 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Presumably Saliba will be in the mix next season, albeit somewhat young and raw.

He will be. But we need to get in the top four or win the Europa League this season.

Post #501612  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Very fortunate that the said Epstein is now dead and will never be able to tell us what happened.

Apparently Epstein cremated himself while the medical examiner was on a lunch break.

Post #501613  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
He will be. But we need to get in the top four or win the Europa League this season.

Very true. Kind of frustrating. As it stands right now he arrives as Ceballos departs.

Post #501614  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:11 pm 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Very fortunate that the said Epstein is now dead and will never be able to tell us what happened.

Apparently Epstein cremated himself while the medical examiner was on a lunch break.

I originally thought it was not a big deal when he apparently suicided. But then the more I read the more I moved to question the whole thing.

Post #501615  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Decaf wrote:

This one is lovely

I'd never heard of Bisto, actually, Decaf - other than as one of Cannon Balls' many adversaries on the forum.

Yes ... But I recall that bizarrely no one but Cannon could 'see' Bisto's post. Either a figment of Cannon' imagination ... or possibly someone he had argued with on another forum, the pub, in the pension queue, while wondering around looking for Highbury, etc ...

Post #501616  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Indeed. Psychologically I think it is important even at this early stage to stay in touch with reality.

Post #501617  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:05 pm 

Decaf wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Yes ... But I recall that bizarrely no one but Cannon could 'see' Bisto's post. Either a figment of Cannon' imagination ... or possibly someone he had argued with on another forum, the pub, in the pension queue, while wondering around looking for Highbury, etc ...

Funnily enough, that's exactly how I remember it. Cannon railing against Bisto was pretty funny. The likelihood that Bisto never existed - well, you just can't put a price on that.

Post #501618  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:30 pm 

I wondered what happened to poor ol' Cannon.

Post #501619  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:11 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
I wondered what happened to poor ol' Cannon.

He was certainly a vivid character, and very funny and even sharp at times ... albeit with a screw or too loose if not completely missing.

Arguments with Cannon had a very well defined trajectory, often ending with him cutting and pasting large chunks of usually completely irrelevant text from some dodgy site or other.
:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #501620  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 pm 

Nketiah came off the bench for Leeds tonight, he came on at 77 minutes with the score at 0-0, 4 minutes later Eddie has bagged the winner for a 1-0 win. The boy just scored goals

Post #501621  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Indeed. Psychologically I think it is important even at this early stage to stay in touch with reality.

Then a football forum is not the place for you. Reality is a different place on the internet.

Post #501622  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Then a football forum is not the place for you. Reality is a different place on the internet.

While I think that in principle it is important to be realistic, in practice I find it impossible to practice what I preach. So here we are again ... The early signs are good. Maybe our defence, centred around the rock-like Luiz (who turns out not to be the utter disaster waiting to happen we feared) will turn out to be decent. Stranger things have happened.

Post #501623  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

While I think that in principle it is important to be realistic, in practice I find it impossible to practice what I preach. So here we are again ... The early signs are good. Maybe our defence, centred around the rock-like Luiz (who turns out not to be the utter disaster waiting to happen we feared) will turn out to be decent. Stranger things have happened.

There is more than a little bravado in my posts. I figure I should have at least the first 2 weeks of living in la la land and no doubt will be calling for Emery's head by October.

Post #501624  Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Nketiah came off the bench for Leeds tonight, he came on at 77 minutes with the score at 0-0, 4 minutes later Eddie has bagged the winner for a 1-0 win. The boy just scored goals

Sadly it was against Brentford who are one of those teams I have a fondness for , unlike Leeds. When I lived in the UK for a year in the early 80's I was lucky enough to go and see them play on one occasion.

On the other hand when I looked at the table for this league I noticed Stoke were near the bottom. That brought a smile to my face.

Post #501625  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:46 am 

Rich wrote:

He comes back next season, and one of Lacazette or Aubameyang will be gone. Or Aubameyang can operate in the wings. Overall, looking very good for the forward line. All 3 of them are effective goal scorers, and have the energy to get past their men.

Post #501626  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:46 am 

Rich wrote:

He comes back next season, and one of Lacazette or Aubameyang will be gone. Or Aubameyang can operate in the wings. Overall, looking very good for the forward line. All 3 of them are effective goal scorers, and have the energy to get past their men.

Post #501627  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Sadly it was against Brentford who are one of those teams I have a fondness for , unlike Leeds. When I lived in the UK for a year in the early 80's I was lucky enough to go and see them play on one occasion.

On the other hand when I looked at the table for this league I noticed Stoke were near the bottom. That brought a smile to my face.

Stoke and Middlesborough are 2 teams I hope to see go further down. Boro because Pulis is manager, dislike his style.

Post #501628  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:50 am 

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/08/2 ... liverpool/

Positive news? Depending on which Özil turns up.
I suspect he will be better charged to perform at his optimum because of the improved personnel around him.

Post #501629  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Stoke and Middlesborough are 2 teams I hope to see go further down. Boro because Pulis is manager, dislike his style.

I know some on the forum believe that it is not healthy to hold grudges but it still works for me. I understand your mindset.

Post #501630  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 am 

gooner7 wrote:

I hear ya, I'm not a big Pulis fan either. I despise fat Sam way more than Pulis so I want any Allardyce led team to do badly.
He has personal animus towards Wenger. It was deeply personal to him and its probably because Wenger was a foreign manager who did very well and fat Sam blames him in no small part to the trend at that time to hire foreign managers for top spots (and even lower spots) instead of British managers.

Pulis used brutish methods against us and I agree deserves our negative attitude towards him. Mourinho I hated but since that Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger love in, in Wenger's last season, I am not as anti Mourinho as I was because he showed some sense of humanity...lol...and life/karma, call it what you will, has done a job on him already.

Post #501631  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:03 am 

Frimpong buried himself. Frimpong and before him Pennant, had inflated egos and lacked the maturity early on and created their own issues.

https://www.goal.com/g00/en/news/he-tol ... i10c.dv=16

The former Gunners team-mates were far from friends at the Emirates and their relationship only deteriorated from there
Former Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong has accused Samir Nasri of being a bully and declared he'll never respect the Frenchman as a player.

While , Frimpong worked his way through the Gunners youth ranks before making his Premier League debut for the club in 2011.

It was there that he'd rub shoulders with Nasri and the two players very quickly came to dislike one another.

Post #501632  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Not any more he isn’t - Jonathan Woodgate is Boro manager now

Post #501633  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/08/21/mesut-ozil-arsenal-training-ahead-of-liverpool/

Positive news? Depending on which Özil turns up.
I suspect he will be better charged to perform at his optimum because of the improved personnel around him.

I think the key to getting the best out of Özil is having central midfielders who can break the lines and get the ball to him quickly, Özil finds those pockets of spaces between the lines. His best season was with Cazorla deeper finding him and meaning Özil didn’t have to drop deep to get the ball and still have 8 players in front of him and the goal. Could Ceballos be that player? Could Luiz even do this?

Post #501634  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:54 am 

Özil seemed to have worked best in Spain when he didn't have to do much defensive duties. I think he would have flourished with Vieira or any ball winner. Vieira initiated countless goals winning the ball in midfield and getting it to Bergkamp or someone else who had an eye for a pass. After a while, the players could tell when Vieira was about to win the ball and were ready for a break. Seeing him do it in numerous practices and games they had a sense for it.

Özil needs someone like that.

Post #501635  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:47 am 

Rich wrote:
I think the key to getting the best out of Özil is having central midfielders who can break the lines and get the ball to him quickly, Özil finds those pockets of spaces between the lines. His best season was with Cazorla deeper finding him and meaning Özil didn’t have to drop deep to get the ball and still have 8 players in front of him and the goal. Could Ceballos be that player? Could Luiz even do this?

Central defence is arguably the weakest part of what I consider a generally strong squad. Luiz is quite possibly our best central defender at the moment. I’m thus not sure we should be making central defence even weaker by moving our best central defender into midfield, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

Post #501636  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:03 pm 

I'd also see how Caballos and Özil work together.

Post #501637  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Caballos

No. :icon_rabbit:

Post #501638  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Caballos

Fair point, LTG, but AG has managed to misspell Cazorla's surname for the greater part of a decade, so I think we probably need to just let this go...

Post #501639  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Caballos

I think Caballos are a traditional Chilean trouser, as in 'nice pair of Caballos, senor'. I'm sure Daz could confirm.

Post #501640  Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Central defence is arguably the weakest part of what I consider a generally strong squad. Luiz is quite possibly our best central defender at the moment. I’m thus not sure we should be making central defence even weaker by moving our best central defender into midfield, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

I have no idea why people keep suggesting this

We have 3 anchoring midfielders in the squad already and playing anymore than 2 of them at any one time unbalances the side. unless there’s an injury crisis of epic proportions it’s not happening.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12538, 12539, 12540, 12541, 12542, 12543, 12544 ... 14269  Next