Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], warrior and 23 guests

Post #501361  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 am 

I'm not going to make more out of the Chelsea loss than what it is. The first game for a new coach at a very tough place to play.

Its a huge step up for Lampard. I hope Chelsea suffer more losses like this but you can't judge his tenure by an away match at Old Trafford in his first game.

Post #501362  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 am 

socrates wrote:
I thought Nelson was quite bright yesterday. You can see he has excellent technical ability, its just whether he can turn good positions and situations into a quality final ball or a shot on goal. That's where he needs to develop his game.

Yeah, I thought he had a good game, particularly in the second half. He tried a lot of things, and even if all of it didn’t come off he wasn’t scared to get involved. Not ready to start in the Premier League yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing more of him in Europa League and the domestic cups, with maybe some sub appearences in the league here and there.

Post #501363  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 am 

Goonie wrote:
Are those your works, Gaz? Very nice.

Yes. Usually do more Australian country scenes but doing a bit more seascapes.

Post #501364  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:02 am 

Rich wrote:
Martinez
Bellerin, Holding, Luiz, Tierney
Torreira, cellabos
Pépé, Özil, Kolasinac
Lacazette

This is actually a very, very strong team. Compare that to Chelsea and United, who should be seen as our main rivals for top 4 at this stage. Not sure exactly what their respective second elevens would look like, but something like this:

Caballero
Zappacosta – Rudiger – Tomori – Alonso
Kanté – Bakayoko
Hudson-Odoi – Loftus-Cheek – Willian
Giroud

Pereira
Dalot – Smalling – Jones – Rojo
Matic – Fred
James – Mata – Young
Sanchez

How many of these players could be expected to add real quality to a side chasing top 4? Kanté is a given. Sanchez if he's fit and in form, but it's been a long time since that happened. Willian is good on his day. Not much else there.

Post #501365  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:09 am 

Not going to do a second eleven for Man City, because it's too depressing.

Post #501366  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 am 

I don't know if others have watched the VAR decision in Wolves game which disallowed a goal.

This is where the whole thing will get really messy. It looked to me as if they wanted to disallow it. IMO they got an advantage but the ball fit the arm and was unavoidable and they overruled the refs decision.

Therefore they have set the rules for the future - if a ball hits a defenders arm even unintentionally and they gain any advantage - in fact in every case you must gain an advantage - then it must be a penalty. If you are the attackers it must be disallowed. No if or buts.

If not then the whole system is a total joke.

Post #501367  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 am 

Draytonkid wrote:
After watching the game yesterday, just wondering if Luiz would be be better for the team by playing in Zhakas place, as Papa and Chambers looked quite solid, he would give them protection and would be able to get forward more and support the attack with his long range passing and shooting and he's good at free kicks.

I said that yesterday. I think he'd be good in front of the back 4. That's the traditional Brazilian set up. 2 CBs a DM in front them. SIlva, Dunga etc and the 2 FBs bombing forward. Most teams will park the bus at the Emirates so we needn't worry too much about defence.

Post #501368  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 am 

You can’t have Luiz in midfield alongside Torreira, they would effectively want to do the same thing and would hamper us going forward. The Xhaka and guendouzi pivot yesterday was too defensive nevermind introducing a centre half to the fray.

Luiz has been signed as a centre back, unless there’s an injury crisis I can’t see him being deployed in midfield

Post #501369  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:13 am 

Onwards to Burnley game. A 3 goal victory?

Post #501370  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:50 am 

gooner7 wrote:

Any victory will do as we need to increase momentum. I thought yesterday we looked lethargic, off the pace and very indirect which meant we were unable to create much. Basically Maitland niles and Aubameyang got us out of jail otherwise people would be on here asking for Emery to be sacked today

Post #501371  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 am 

gooner7 wrote:

Let’s hope so g7, but Burnley picked up a 3-0 win themselves and can be very stubborn opponents. Not to be taken for granted.

Post #501372  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:42 pm 

Hi all.

Is anyone having problems accessing the forum the past few days by chance ?

Post #501373  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:50 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hi all.

No problems for me Warrior :58big-emoticons:

Post #501374  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm 

The Özil & Kolasinac thing is plain weird. There’s definitely more than meets the eye to it from reading about the latest reports today.

The media are suggesting they are caught up in a argument between 2 criminal gangs, one of which wants to protect the players. You would have to suggest that there is a connection between the 2 players and a criminal gang then surely ? Paying protection, friendships or something. The players are denying that currently.

They are also reporting Kolasinac wife has gone back to Germany and won’t return. Surely that’s going to mean him departing at some point.

Post #501375  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:55 pm 

Didn't realise that our first season back in the top flight we lost 0-1 to Newcastle at Highbury. As we begin of 2nd century we get revenge.

Post #501376  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
They are also reporting Kolasinac wife has gone back to Germany and won’t return. Surely that’s going to mean him departing at some point.

So at least one good thing will come from all of this.

Post #501377  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

So at least one good thing will come from all of this.

Just need Mustafi, mhikitaryan and el Nenny pulled into this crimewave and we should be ok.

Surely only a matter of time before somebody blames Emery for the car jacking attempt

Post #501378  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:58 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:
Hi all.

No problems for me either Rog.

Post #501379  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm 

One big thing we need to change this season is the attempts on goal.
Last season we were only ranked 11th for shots on goal. This weekend only Leicester had fewer shots on target that us.

Pépé should be a big help to this but we need more from some of our shot shy players.

Post #501380  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:16 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Nor me.

Post #501381  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:38 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don't know if others have watched the VAR decision in Wolves game which disallowed a goal.

This is where the whole thing will get really messy. It looked to me as if they wanted to disallow it. IMO they got an advantage but the ball fit the arm and was unavoidable and they overruled the refs decision.

Therefore they have set the rules for the future - if a ball hits a defenders arm even unintentionally and they gain any advantage - in fact in every case you must gain an advantage - then it must be a penalty. If you are the attackers it must be disallowed. No if or buts.

They’ve changed the rules for this season so that if there’s a hand ball by an attacking player in the immediate build up to a goal it's disallowed. So like Iwobi’s goal against... i forget last season.

Makes sense to me, it hit the guy’s hand and fell right to the goal scorer.

Post #501382  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm 

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

They’ve changed the rules for this season so that if there’s a hand ball by an attacking player in the immediate build up to a goal it's disallowed. So like Iwobi’s goal against... i forget last season.

Makes sense to me, it hit the guy’s hand and fell right to the goal scorer.

I want consistency. So with VAR in the women’s World Cup most hand balls by defenders resulted in VAR being consulted no matter how far they were from the player kicking the ball. Will that be what the EPL applies or are they sticking with the natural position of the hand even although that seems to vary with who is interpreting it.

Post #501383  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 am 

warrior wrote:
Hi all.

ok at my end :58big-emoticons:

Post #501384  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Another which I like better than the first

I prefer watercolours but having said that you have a fair amount of talent Gaz .... they are very good .

Post #501385  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 am 

Rich wrote:
One big thing we need to change this season is the attempts on goal.
Last season we were only ranked 11th for shots on goal. This weekend only Leicester had fewer shots on target that us.

Pépé should be a big help to this but we need more from some of our shot shy players.

This is crucial. I’ve seen a lot of pundits who just look at our goal totals from last season and say our attack is fine and we just need to improve defensively (I even saw Ian Hollow on deadline day make a really weird point about how we would’ve been better of signing Gary Cahill than Pépé). To me that’s madness, I don’t think anyone who watched us regularly last season can say we looked impressive offensively for any stretch of the season. We just didn’t create enough chances and that is one of the biggest areas we need to improve.

Post #501386  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 am 

john1 wrote:

with exception of being Welsh ............................... :12hello-bye:

Post #501387  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 am 

Swiss Ramble doing a good explanation on Twitter of our finances and how we could afford to splash out £130m odd this summer.

Interestingly it shows wages off the books at £725k per week, and players bought in at only £495k per week. So £230k saving on wages per week. £12m per year

Post #501388  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 am 

The excellent Swiss ramble explaining our summers transfer business financially

https://twitter.com/swissramble/status/ ... 27169?s=21

Post #501389  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

with exception of being Welsh ............................... :12hello-bye:

What can I say Pete; you're quite right.

The responsibility of being Welsh is massive, particularly because of the following:

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have the greatness of being Welsh thrust upon them." (The original William Shakespeare quote.)

:icon_wink:

Post #501390  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
The excellent Swiss ramble explaining our summers transfer business financially

https://twitter.com/swissramble/status/ ... 27169?s=21

Swiss Ramble is of course correct in that there are many different ways to look at transfer spending.

What bothers me is the way the media has been reporting our £45m budget; if we look at what was being said before the summer, not one of them was saying £45m is what we can spend in total on first year installments. In fact I’ve never seen any reporter ever talk about a transfer budget in those terms. Then, when Arsenal goes out and overspends the reported £45m by a lot, they all start talking about installments. They’re mixing up financial terms willy nilly to justify their earlier reporting which was simply based on information that wasn’t correct.

Post #501391  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm 

Heard an interview with a guy who was a convict in the same prison as Jeffrey Epstein and said it was virtually impossible to commit suicide if you are on suicide watch. He mentioned how they take every precaution and that the prison has pretty much seen every conceivable means people have used in the pass and you'd have to be a genius and desperate and very quick about your own demise to even have a chance to do it.

Hmmm

Post #501392  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm 

There is a good video doing the rounds of Emery's reaction when Willock was shrugged off the ball and then chased back 20 yards to make a recover tackle. Emery celebrated it like a goal

Post #501393  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
There is a good video doing the rounds of Emery's reaction when Willock was shrugged off the ball and then chased back 20 yards to make a recover tackle. Emery celebrated it like a goal

People need to stop complaining, over analysing stuff and get behind the guy for once.

You can see he cares. He never blames the officials, never blames his players or chucks them under a bus even if they are out of order, often makes difficult changes, always speaks with dignity and never complains about the absolute pup he was sold when he joined.

Yesterday that prat who runs Le Grove was getting excited about Emery leaving and Mourinho joining as we now have relations with his agent Mendez. Let me assure you Jose Mourinho would be a disaster for Arsenal, he would waste all our money and leave us 2 years later in a worse state than Wenger.

For the first time in *%^@*** years this season there seems to be a positive feeling at the club. Just enjoy it and if we lose to Liverpool don’t chuck your toys out the pram because we lost a game.

Post #501394  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:15 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Heard an interview with a guy who was a convict in the same prison as Jeffrey Epstein and said it was virtually impossible to commit suicide if you are on suicide watch. He mentioned how they take every precaution and that the prison has pretty much seen every conceivable means people have used in the pass and you'd have to be a genius and desperate and very quick about your own demise to even have a chance to do it.

Hmmm

He wasn't on suicide watch boner.

Post #501395  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm 

Anyone else marginally interested in the Super Cup as I am? I may watch it if I can't find anything of interest on TV like 'The Joys of Watching Paint Dry'.

Post #501396  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm 

Debut goal for Nketiah for Leeds in the cup tonight

Post #501397  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 pm 

Rich wrote:

Not watching the game (until I saw your post I had no idea it was even being played). How has he played?

Post #501398  Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not watching the game (until I saw your post I had no idea it was even being played). How has he played?

I didn’t watch I’m afraid. Reports said it was a classic right place right time tap in finish. Exactly what Eddie does well.

Post #501399  Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 am 

With ties to Trump, Clinton and a royal as well as many of the 1% and the fact it was said he kept meticulous notes on his comings (no pun intended) and going. Something is amiss and we may never know what really happened because it reaches too high. Just like how the 9/11 commission couldn't find the person who vetoed watching the terrorists who were taking flying lessons in America.

If the same exact scenario happened in Russia or China, it would automatically be assumed and fairly accepted as fact the government engineered it all. But America gets a pass from logic and reason.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-frenc ... 46357.html
The Latest: 1 of Epstein's guards not a corrections officer

Post #501400  Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am 

I think fans are going to be a bit over optimistic and I understand why. We had a decent summer bringing in new blood. Nothing less than 3 points will be tolerated by most gooners come the weekend.
This squad is still a work in progress and all the new 'moving parts' have to be blended into a smooth running machine.

I am not going to expect a lot right now. I just want us to be competitive. It will take a bit for Emery to get the right XI and an effective system with that XI.

[ 570663 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12532, 12533, 12534, 12535, 12536, 12537, 12538 ... 14267  Next