Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests

Post #500361  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
What is really sad is that instead of talking about our signings and their impact we are talking about cricket and some strange decisions in a sport where betting dominates.

Our young players did well against Colorado... in the past that would have been the cue for someone to post "The future's bright. The future's red and white". Now nobody bothers... :sad5: :sad4:

Post #500362  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 am 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
What is really sad is that instead of talking about our signings and their impact we are talking about cricket and some strange decisions in a sport where betting dominates.

Our young players did well against Colorado... in the past that would have been the cue for someone to post "The future's bright. The future's red and white". Now nobody bothers... :sad5: :sad4:

I think we are all destroyed by many years of “false dawns”. We have not seen a player who has been with the club since real youth, like 10yo who has gone on to be a great for many years. Even Fabergas and others were poached from other clubs when they were very near adulthood. The real test with any youths introduced is not the first 10 games, it is when opposing coaches get to watch a number of DVDs of them and look for weaknesses. See Chambers as a classic example.

And that is why Holding could be the be our captain and CB for 10 years or gone at the end of the season.

Post #500363  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:26 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I think we are all destroyed by many years of “false dawns”. We have not seen a player who has been with the club since real youth, like 10yo who has gone on to be a great for many years. Even Fabergas and others were poached from other clubs when they were very near adulthood. The real test with any youths introduced is not the first 10 games, it is when opposing coaches get to watch a number of DVDs of them and look for weaknesses. See Chambers as a classic example.
And that is why Holding could be the be our captain and CB for 10 years or gone at the end of the season.

Regarding Holding, as I’ve said I’m with DHD and think somewhere in between is the most likely outcome. Doesn’t have the personality or ability to be our captain or central defender for the next ten years (unless we really do become rubbish). But I think he’s good enough to be around for a few years yet, even if it’s just as a squad back-up.

Post #500364  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Regarding Holding, as I’ve said I’m with DHD and think somewhere in between is the most likely outcome. Doesn’t have the personality or ability to be our captain or central defender for the next ten years (unless we really do become rubbish). But I think he’s good enough to be around for a few years yet, even if it’s just as a squad back-up.

If we had that attitude we would never have signed Ian Wright.

Gary Cahill was 25 when he went to chelsea. Holding has shown plenty of promise at 23

However he will fail unless he moves because we are arsenal and all over the place right now.

Post #500365  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Saw the highlights. Didn't see anything I didn't expect. Wasn't much of a crowd which is surprising to some extent because you don't get European clubs playing friendlies in Colorado. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago? Yes. Colorado? I'd be surprised if there were any major clubs that played there preceding us.

There is typically good turnouts in Los Angeles. If the crowds are small then, no one really gives a ### about us. Even if you support another PL club, people come to see the rare chance of seeing a major European side. I went to a Man Utd vs. Club America (Mexico) friendly in LA a long time ago and it was well attended and I saw not only other gooners (donning the shirt) but Chelsea, Milan, etc, supporters.

I see in the papers we are linked to Dani Alves. He's what? 36? We might...just might be able to get most of a season out of him. Maybe he'll offer some "leadership", assuming he comes as rumored.

Boner

Post #500366  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Gary Cahill was 25 when he went to chelsea. Holding has shown plenty of promise at 23

However he will fail unless he moves because we are arsenal and all over the place right now.

You’re one of the people who overrate him in that case. There were games last season when he partnered Mustafi when Mustafi played better.

Post #500367  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:13 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

If Emery can get the first team to show significant improvements, the good vibes will return. The feel good factor depends very much on results on the pitch. The key will be our away form (quite confident we can maintain our very good home form) - 25 points was an improvement to the previous season of 16, but we should be looking at 30 points minimum from away games.

Post #500368  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:47 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:
:15laughter:

And hes the future. Thanks for the photo - didn't exactly cheer me up.

At least he didn’t turn up in a Tottenham shirt. :8angers:

Post #500369  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You’re one of the people who overrate him in that case. There were games last season when he partnered Mustafi when Mustafi played better.

Holding never forgot to get goalside during a cup final though.

Post #500370  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm 

Ceballos signing on loan. There was a time when we didn’t have to get Spanish rejects on loan

Post #500371  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:38 pm 

Waste of time. Kroenke couldn't care less.

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/ ... w-stadium/

Arsenal fans fume as owner pays $2.6 billion for his American football side’s new stadium

Post #500372  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ceballos signing on loan. There was a time when we didn’t have to get Spanish rejects on loan

If true, we are getting a very good player. Hardly a cause for complaint. Many RM rejects went on to have successful spells at other clubs. Until last season, Özil wasn't too bad either.

Post #500373  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If true, we are getting a very good player. Hardly a cause for complaint. Many RM rejects went on to have successful spells at other clubs. Until last season, Özil wasn't too bad either.

If he does well he goes back to Spain. If he does bad we will have wasted a load of our money

No future, no squad building no vision

Post #500374  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I thought he’d only played one cup final. Not forgetting to get goal side in a single game hardly makes him the new Bekenbauer.

Post #500375  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I thought he’d only played one cup final. Not forgetting to get goal side in a single game hardly makes him the new Bekenbauer.

Mustafi is the jizz inside a used condom left discarded outside a boozer in deptford. Disgraces himself most weeks. He’s not the actual Johnny because that’s a useful instrument... he’s the old jizz

Keep trying to defend him

Post #500376  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm 

Does anyone really think things will materially change when Stan pegs it? I remain unconvinced.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 91356.html

Post #500377  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Mustafi is the jizz inside a used condom left discarded outside a boozer in deptford. Disgraces himself most weeks. He’s not the actual Johnny because that’s a useful instrument... he’s the old jizz

Keep trying to defend him

If you think I’m trying to defend Mustafi you haven’t been reading my posts carefully. But there were games when they partnered each other in the first half of last season when Mustafi played better than Holding.

Did you say something recently about having an emotional attachment to Holding, even if they weren’t the precise words you used? If so, maybe that explains your overreaction to my earlier post. He’s good but not great. At best, on occasion, very good. That’s the basis of what I’m saying.

Post #500378  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Does anyone really think things will materially change when Stan pegs it? I remain unconvinced.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 91356.html

Tim stillman tweeted this which is exactly how I feel about this statement

I can keep telling you I am very ambitious about becoming an astronaut. But you can see it’s not true because it’s very clear I’ve done nothing to achieve it and no amount of words conceal that.

Exactly how I feel about the statement

Post #500379  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 pm 

I think the Josh statement is PR drivel, but when he said fans should be excited by the incoming transfers he is saying something which supporters can and will measure him by. If the signings turn out to be unexciting it will make people even more sceptical.

Post #500380  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:59 pm 

Bored wrote:
I think the Josh statement is PR drivel, but when he said fans should be excited by the incoming transfers he is saying something which supporters can and will measure him by. If the signings turn out to be unexciting it will make people even more sceptical.

If the Spanish midfielder Celballos or whatever comes that’s a loan without an option to buy. Why on earth would anyone get excited by that? It’s just cobbling an 11 together. It’s also a written admission the club screwed up with Ramsey

Your 100% right

Post #500381  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 pm 

Why are we getting statements from Josh Kroenke when Stan Kroenke is sole owner of KSE, of which (sadly) Arsenal FC are a subsidiary company?, the man is a total coward and his son is just a mouthpiece for him.

KSE's priority is clearly the LA Rams project, they are spending $5BN on the development of the 'complex', Arsenal are clearly just being used as a form of collateral against the money they are borrowing for this.

We should be excited?, why?, is daddy selling up already?!.

#KroenkeOUT

Post #500382  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:26 pm 

I’ve been struggling with sleeping in the recent heat. I’ve just found the perfect solution. Play the video of Josh Kroenke’s PR drivel.

Flannel and hogwash with no actual substance.

Post #500383  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:54 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
That’s hilarious - have you ever thought about becoming a comedian? Have you got over that humiliation in the semi yet? :12hello-bye:

Mate in a week of bad results it wasn’t even in the top 2. Queenslander Ash Barty lost at Wimbledon, Queensland lost the State of Origin in the last minute and NSW cheat Dave Warner with Australian teammates lost a semi. I don’t think it really even registered much interest. I may be Australian when it suits but I am first and foremost a Queenslander and North Queenslander at that.

We have won a few WC’s so while it is good to win it wasn’t life or death which apparently it is for some of the other second rate nation. Call it the Leicester year and leave it at that.

Never heard of Queensland but it sounds as though your sportsman are pretty second rate themselves! :1laughter:

Post #500384  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:19 pm 

Bored wrote:

Might they just hide behind ‘excitement’ being subjective. Where does Martinelli rank in the excitement stakes? One for the future, I’m only excited by transfers that will address key weaknesses in the first 11 for the here and now, namely 2 new CB, a LB, a RB to challenge Bellerin, a Powerful CM, a creative goalscoring CM and a pacey wife player. Get those 7 in, get rid of the underperforming players (we all know the names) and supplement them with our talented youth. Then we can get excited

Post #500385  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Mate in a week of bad results it wasn’t even in the top 2. Queenslander Ash Barty lost at Wimbledon, Queensland lost the State of Origin in the last minute and NSW cheat Dave Warner with Australian teammates lost a semi. I don’t think it really even registered much interest. I may be Australian when it suits but I am first and foremost a Queenslander and North Queenslander at that.

We have won a few WC’s so while it is good to win it wasn’t life or death which apparently it is for some of the other second rate nation. Call it the Leicester year and leave it at that.

Never heard of Queensland but it sounds as though your sportsman are pretty second rate themselves! :1laughter:

I can’t account for the education system in some of the underdeveloped nations. I celebrate the fact you have learnt to read.

I think it is best we talk more about the cricket because there is nothing happening at the club.

I assume in the Corinthians spirit you will be happy to give the WC to New Zealand who actually should have apparently won it.

Post #500386  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

I can’t account for the education system in some of the underdeveloped nations. I celebrate the fact you have learnt to read.

I think it is best we talk more about the cricket because there is nothing happening at the club.
I’ve
I assume in the Corinthians spirit you will be happy to give the WC to New Zealand who actually should have apparently won it.

On which basis? Even if 5 runs had been given and not 6 Stokes would have whacked the last ball for 4 or 6 if he knew we needed 3 runs and not 2. You need to get over it before it eats you up!

Post #500387  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:17 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Why are we getting statements from Josh Kroenke when Stan Kroenke is sole owner of KSE, of which (sadly) Arsenal FC are a subsidiary company?, the man is a total coward and his son is just a mouthpiece for him.

KSE's priority is clearly the LA Rams project, they are spending $5BN on the development of the 'complex', Arsenal are clearly just being used as a form of collateral against the money they are borrowing for this.

We should be excited?, why?, is daddy selling up already?!.

#KroenkeOUT

Josh does the statements because for all intents and purposes, he's being positioned as 'the man' going forwards. He's been the active part of KSE for their progress in Ice Hockey (where the Avs already have one the best teams, but crucially have a spectacular pipe line of prospects) and Basketball. The only thing Stan has talked about is the Rams, which he is so closely personally identified with that he has no choice. Josh has done the rest for a while now.

Stan may be the owner, but from an Arsenal perspective, what Josh says is far more important. Whether he says anything of value is another point entirely...

Post #500388  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Would be better if we had an official option to buy, but it give us a chance to make him love us. We tried to buy him before. Maybe a season long stop gap, but I'd be very happy as there is a clear need for one more body of that type for the season ahead, and if it allows us to spend our bugger all budget on other positions, I'm all for it.

Post #500389  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That's the thing though. Mustafi is capable of being an excellent defender for 90 minutes of a game most of the time. The problem is that most matches last 93-97 minutes given injury time in each half, and he is just incapable of concentrating for all 97 minutes on a regular basis. He's in no way crap, but he lacks the mental strength and concentration to succeed at the top level with any regularity. In many ways, Holding is an inferior defender (not as quick or agile, and a less varied skillset), but he is also less prone to spectacular WTF moments that Mustafi specialises in.

Mustafi is 95% an excellent defender, but the other 5% is simply not top flight standard, with perhaps 1% being non-league standard.

Post #500390  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:37 pm 

DHD wrote:
Sorry to bang on but one other small point that reflects extremely well on NZ - check out when Boult takes that rope ‘catch’. It was a potentially explosive and contentious moment but Guptill was very close-by, and immediately- IMMEDIATELY- signalled a six.

That is natural and instinctive sportsmanship - and these days, it’s rare!

Respect to Martin Gupthill, to NZ and to Brendon McCallum whose influence and example pervades both teams.

A lot easier to be nice about the opposition when you fluke a win, but given the Kiwi's excellence in performance and sportsmanship, isn't about time they got more decent tours? We see them about once every 6 years over here, and its taken them 30+ years to get a boxing day test with their noisy neighbours.

Being that lucky against the black caps makes one feel a modicum of guilt among the pleasure. If it had been against the Aussies, it'd be guilt free for sure. I just hope the NZ lads are able to get over it as quickly as possible and get the welcome back home that they deserve and will probably get. 1 real star batsman. 1 real star bowler. Their most destructive top order player has a stinker of a month and only a diving half-kiwi timing an accidental connection as sweet as nut stopped them winning the whole thing. Certainly makes you realise how good Williamson's captaincy was compared to other countries with greater resources.

Post #500391  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:40 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Overmars really talking up selling Ziyech. 21 goals and 24 assists last year, overmars saying he’s surprised no-one has properly come in for him yet. If we’re being quoted silly prices for wingers like zaha and Fraser, Ziyech can be got for around £20m and listening to Overmars he’s ready to sell

Apparently Arsenal have ‘analysed’ Ziyech and found him wanting. Probably not enough outside to in, third quarter past the stat leading fullback sprint dribble passes per 90. Or something. Also why is Overmars talking him up so much when they’re making 200m from sales so far anyway?? Seems a bit over eager. But yes you wouldn’t say no for less than 30M.

The problem for us is that he's either a number 10 or a playmaking wide man who is not proven in a good enough league to be a dead cert. Given that we have our two albatross contracts that no-one will take off us in exactly those two roles, Ziyech simply can't be a priority. Same with Fekir.

Post #500392  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:40 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
And hes the future. Thanks for the photo - didn't exactly cheer me up.

At least he didn’t turn up in a Tottenham shirt. :8angers:

:58big-emoticons:
At least he wore the red and white.

Post #500393  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:52 pm 

Daz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Oh and by the way to any soft cock lisping ..... "wonderful to see you back Daz " .... I say pull your head in , let the t****er f*&^%**** off for another millenium .

Agreed.

:1cry: Oh no ...... what have I done ......?

I was only joking ................... Come back Cobber ...... all is forgiven .

Post #500394  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:
The only way I see Kroenke getting rattled is if the stadium is two thirds empty week-on-week and realistically that isn't going to happen.

Not sure how you get rid of an owner who isn't really bothered what the fans think.

Hang on the letter was co signed by Hugh Wizzy and arseblogger

Surely Stan must be feeling the pressure now ! :laughing7:

Indeed - 'influencers' they are described as. Personally, while I laud the overall aspiration of trying to put pressure on ownership, I think the inflated sense of importance of those involved and the idiotic timing of it completely undermined the whole thing. Would have been better having a simple message and just the supporters groups. Who the hell gives a rats rectum what a couple of bloggers (at least the club will have heard of Arseblog unlike some of the others) and youtube eejits think?

Also, talking about now as a pivotal moment and demanding change literally a fortnight after the club has hired the final piece of their internal restructuring that has taken 2 years is incredibly stupid and self-defeating. The club have literally just concluded the biggest change since the stadium build and you demand change in woolly non-specific terms. Instant zero credibility. In PR terms that was guaranteed to garner no sympathy from anyone not already onside. It pisses me off because it would be fairly easy for anyone with even a basic understanding about how the big boys minds work to have timed it and written it much more effectively. Hell, I could have done it easily enough (though I'm an absolute nobody and have no traction), because ultimately no matter how much they dress it up about club structures etc, thats got nothing to do with anything.

Ultimately fans want to feel like the owners give a monkeys, preferably with a willingness to spend some of their own dosh. The rest is irrelevant as the owners, like most overseas owners, defer the day to day decisions.

They needed to be explicit in pitching the positive inside the negative. As fans we all want to get behind our club. We want a clear vision of the way forward outlined in clear language. Short of putting hands in pockets, the rest is all guff.

That said, the club ARE restructuring to a modern model. They are clearly pursuing a Dortmund like project youth a la Wenger 2008. What this letter was really about was a complaint that last 5-8 years have been massively mis-managed, and that our rich owners, unlike other rich owners don't put any money in.

Yes its a bit depressing seeing us under-achieve, but its been mostly because people who have now left the club made series of very costly cock-ups. The owners aren't going to put any money in unless their asset starts depreciating.

Ultimately its all about that issue. As fans we see the other teams all getting owner money and shiny things that promise a better future, and we don;t and it feels unfair. And our owners have failed to deliver effective soothing words to show they care.

Post #500395  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That's the thing though. Mustafi is capable of being an excellent defender for 90 minutes of a game most of the time. The problem is that most matches last 93-97 minutes given injury time in each half, and he is just incapable of concentrating for all 97 minutes on a regular basis. He's in no way crap, but he lacks the mental strength and concentration to succeed at the top level with any regularity. In many ways, Holding is an inferior defender (not as quick or agile, and a less varied skillset), but he is also less prone to spectacular WTF moments that Mustafi specialises in.

Mustafi is 95% an excellent defender, but the other 5% is simply not top flight standard, with perhaps 1% being non-league standard.

I would largely agree with you on Mustafi, although I would make the qualification that there are games when he doesn’t make serious errors. Let me clarify that I’ll be perfectly happy if he does leave this summer, although I’ll be even more happy if Koscielny gets his wish and moves on.

Post #500396  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:48 pm 

Stan is 71 years old. Josh is going to inherit things. He's the one that is going to running Arsenal for decades. The only "bright" spot if one can call it that is he wants to win a bit more than his father.

As far protests, etc, won't do a bit of good. They have learned about the passion of football fans and the waiting list for season tickets tells them any protest is 'just those English fans and their passion for the sport'.

I've been saying the Rams are the priority. And also that there is no financial reason why they should sell. The value of their initial investment has indicated that. Again, its like complaining about the rain pretty much with the Kroenkes. Won't do much good. We are stuck with them.

...and yes, we can thank Dein for inviting his interest in Arsenal and leaving the board with only 2 choices, both of which he orchestrated.

Post #500397  Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

If he does well he goes back to Spain. If he does bad we will have wasted a load of our money

No future, no squad building no vision

It's not ideal. But a very good midfielder, albeit on loan, is still better none. This season is make or break for Emery - can't blame him if he's thinking short-term. The club is not in good shape at the moment, really need something exciting to happen to get the fans behind the club again. Maybe our young players can give us some hope. Like GG's early years.

Post #500398  Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:14 am 

Terry Henry wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I’ve

On which basis? Even if 5 runs had been given and not 6 Stokes would have whacked the last ball for 4 or 6 if he knew we needed 3 runs and not 2. You need to get over it before it eats you up!

I couldn't care less about the cricket but every now and then I don't mind a bit of fishing. Looks like I have someone on the hook now. Your the one defending the situation.

My interest in cricket is principally test cricket but even that is a bit sad nowadays with players earning spots in the team when they would not even be good enough for Sheffield Shield in the old days. Still I look forward to the ashes but won't be sitting up all night checking the scores. Never been to a one day match in my life but been to a few test matches. And no I don't expect us to win the ashes.

Post #500399  Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 am 

Just watched highlights of the game agsinst Rapids. Must say Olyainka’s goal was brilliant. See from the official site Emery is talking 3-5 captains again. Plus he seems to suggest getting in 3-4 players. Time will tell.

Post #500400  Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 am 

And I suggest we tell Celtic to f..k off in relation to Tierney.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-16593918

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12507, 12508, 12509, 12510, 12511, 12512, 12513 ... 14269  Next