Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 96 guests

Post #500201  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:37 am 

Darren wrote:
Arseblog suggested in a podcast a week or so back that perhaps the reason we only gave Emery two years was knowing we couldn't afford to sack him if it all went tits up and that's probably the reason he's still here now, we can get rid of him for nothing next May.

I didn’t know Emery only had a two year contract. Thought it was three. Probably makes it even more likely he’ll be on his bike next summer.

Post #500202  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 am 

Emery was only ever a sacrificial bunny. The problems at Arsenal are too large to be rectified in 2 seasons and football fans are impatient. Would we have offered Guardiola a 2 year deal? I doubt it, I also doubt he would touch the job with a bargepole. Who would want to get involved in such a mess and damage your reputation.

Arteta came close to getting the job, I mean he has no *%^@*** experience at all.

I’ll place a cheeky bet that we will still have Mesut Ozils lethargic midfield displays under a new manager and that kind of highlights the problem.

Hopefully after Emery is gone we appoint an ex player talisman like Henry or Vieira who would at least be given more time by the fans

Post #500203  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:
Arseblog suggested in a podcast a week or so back that perhaps the reason we only gave Emery two years was knowing we couldn't afford to sack him if it all went tits up and that's probably the reason he's still here now, we can get rid of him for nothing next May.

I didn’t know Emery only had a two year contract. Thought it was three. Probably makes it even more likely he’ll be on his bike next summer.

Two with an option for another.

Post #500204  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hopefully after Emery is gone we appoint an ex player talisman like Henry or Vieira who would at least be given more time by the fans

I think this will be a likely scenario, unless someone truly outstanding becomes getable and willing to work for this shitshow of a club.

Post #500205  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:53 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think this will be a likely scenario, unless someone truly outstanding becomes getable and willing to work for this shitshow of a club.

I think it could be a Freddie or Arteta type

The actual reality is when the interviews were conducted emery probably spoke to the board and impressed them with his knowledge of our whole squad and detail when a top class manager like Guardiola and Klopp would have whiteboarded a list of our current players not up to scratch and asked them how we planned to deal with it.

Post #500206  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:01 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm not sure an ex-player talisman would be given any more time by the fans. Fans have endured a pretty underwhelming last few seasons and they have simply lost patience. Society as a whole wants instant gratification these days. If we have a bad start Emery will be under pressure from the fans by Christmas.

The only way I see things changing is if fans boycott games in their tens of thousands and Kroenke gets tired of all the negative publicity, not to mention lost revenues, and decides to sell-up.

Mind you I think stadium revenues are only a small percentage of overall revenues so even empty seats may not be enough. I reckon we need an empty stadium, but has that ever happened at any big club ever?

Post #500207  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:16 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Until the club gets run properly we’ll be savaged

Might not be quite so easy

You and a few others rightly lamenting the fact we seem to be floundering with club mangement transfers etc etc

while we the " little people " think how can this happen . Idiot decisions do and don't happen .

Sanchez not bering sold to Utd for 60 mill cash , no fee for Ramsay , sky high wages for Özil ....... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :36angers:

Now I'm here to tell you why ......

I've observed in life .............you get some glib talking incompetent **&%%$# who slimes his way into a position of power ...

...... then he tends to hire other incompetents because IF they weren to hire real sharp cookies [a] their own position comes under threat and [b] being icompetent himself he hasn't a decent handle on who to hire .

Another downfall of having a d*ck in charge ........is any real sharp cookie who does stumble into the fold ; quickly gets disillusioned with the inept way things are done and thinks bollocks to this and leaves for greener pastures

...... hence you end up with a logjam of dickstops ; either going through the motions or making p*ss poor decisions .

Yes. Every day I have to deal with the next muppet who is there sucking up oxygen because they've been there longer.

Post #500208  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:01 pm 

I wonder if this is true.....Spurs have outbid us for Saliba at the last minute

https://arseblog.news/2019/07/sprs-gazu ... or-saliba/

Post #500209  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:30 pm 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:

I'm not sure an ex-player talisman would be given any more time by the fans. Fans have endured a pretty underwhelming last few seasons and they have simply lost patience. ?

When we lost the Europa final there were perfectly sane minded people on this forum calling Emery a *%^@.

I just couldn’t see that happening if the manager was Thierry, Vieira or Freddie

This is kinda the problem with Emery. He may and probably is a very good football coach but he’s not one of us with a rapport with the fans, they won’t give him any time or benefit of doubt

Post #500210  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:35 pm 

socrates wrote:

Ornstein reporting this now too. We truly are a pathetic shambles. Hilarious.

Post #500211  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:43 pm 

We just don’t have any cash anymore

Wenger and Gazidis ran us into the ground financially

Post #500212  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 pm 

We should have stayed at Highbury.

Post #500213  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

:58big-emoticons:

Post #500214  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
This is kinda the problem with Emery. He may and probably is a very good football coach but he’s not one of us with a rapport with the fans, they won’t give him any time or benefit of doubt

He doesn't have rapport with the senior players either... I hope for the club's sake he can galvanise the young players... this season could well be his last chance saloon anyway, so might as well be bold.

Post #500215  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:26 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
We should have stayed at Highbury.

How would that have improved anything?

Post #500216  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:48 pm 

So we built an ambitious stadium and it nearly broke us and we couldn't sign too many players for a while as we had restrictions financially. Ipso facto, how are Tottenham spending money having built a new stadium at over twice what ours cost? Something doesn't add up.

Post #500217  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm 

Darren wrote:
socrates wrote:

Ornstein reporting this now too. We truly are a pathetic shambles. Hilarious.

Encouraging....well not really. No surprise though if Spurs have done it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... 576195.amp

Post #500218  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:06 pm 

What a shitshow of a club we have become.
How long have we been negotiating for Saliba.
Its been dragging on for weeks.
Why not get the *%^@*** deal done.
If Spurs nick him from under our noses I will be livid and will serve us *%^@*** right.
We are a bloody joke right now.
Embarrassing.

Post #500219  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:09 pm 

Darren wrote:
So we built an ambitious stadium and it nearly broke us and we couldn't sign too many players for a while as we had restrictions financially. Ipso facto, how are Tottenham spending money having built a new stadium at over twice what ours cost? Something doesn't add up.

It really doesn't Darren.
They have just broken their transfer record as well.
We take dawdling to a new level.
If Saliba turns out to the next best thing with Spurs our fanbase will be furious

Post #500220  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm 

david.d wrote:
If Saliba turns out to the next best thing with Spurs our fanbase will be furious

Tbf David, our fanbase are always furious, regardless of the Saliba deal.

Post #500221  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm 

Darren wrote:
david.d wrote:

Tbf David, our fanbase are always furious, regardless of the Saliba deal.

No they are not. I am surprised they are not more furious. http://www.newindianexpress.com/sport/f ... 02931.html

Post #500222  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm 

Kroenke OUT.

What else did you expect?.

Post #500223  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

No they didn't. We had monstrous cash reserves for years. We only started spending like the big club we are a few years ago. We are not broke. It's Stan.

Post #500224  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:38 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No they didn't. We had monstrous cash reserves for years. We only started spending like the big club we are a few years ago. We are not broke. It's Stan.

I’m with dec on this. I mentioned this quite recently; I was as anti-Wenger as anyone. But if the only way of getting Stan to sell up was to take Wenger back as manager, I’d take him back in a heart beat.

Kroenke as owner with Wenger as manager was the nightmare scenario. But we’re seeing that Kroenke as owner without Wenger as manager is pretty damn terrible, and in my view it’s worse than having Wenger as manager without Stan as owner would be.

Post #500225  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Spent 100 million on 3 players that are now worthless

Let alone letting 100 million of talent leave free in Ramsey and Sanchez

Why would Stan give them more.

Your kinda right though

Post #500226  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Complaining about our owner is akin to complaining about the fog and rain in London. We are stuck with it. There are only two things that I can see with the ownership changing: 1. There is a complete supporter boycott on all fronts and 2. His financial situations becomes so bad he has to sell.

Thank you Dein.

It was Fiszman who made him the majority shareholder.

American Gooner reminds me of a braying donkey with his balls snagged on a hunk of barbed wire .

You get this same monotonous ....... eehh aw ...... eeh aw ... eee aw

He will never ever ever wise up to the fact Dein sold out to Usmanov not his compatriot Kroenke

Post #500227  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bought a new house today and my mum without seeing it phoned up to say it was a mistake and that we also needed to move our kids out of their school because of an ofsted report that wasn’t perfect.

You really can’t pick your family can you, aren’t they supposed to support you.

:laughing7: :laughing7: Yeah just what you want to hear ..... buying and moving to a new house is one of the most stressful events one does in life and your mother shooting from the hip saying you've f*****& up is the last thing you need .

Post #500228  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Anybody watching the cricket? Comprehensive arse kicking being handed out by England :21encouragement:

Well let's hope we don't get a repeat on Sunday .

I'm hoping the weight of expectation from the English public proves too much for Root , Woakes , Morgan and Co ...... bit like Tim Headman and Buster Mottram were going to win Wimbledon every year .

NZ opener Guptill who has been f**&*&^%% awful so far to score 120 not out ..... and the really nice guys of the world come through .

..written in the stars I can see it now .

Post #500229  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Anybody watching the cricket? Comprehensive arse kicking being handed out by England :21encouragement:

Well let's hope we don't get a repeat on Sunday .

I'm hoping the weight of expectation from the English public proves too much for Root , Woakes , Morgan and Co ...... bit like Tim Headman and Buster Mottram were going to win Wimbledon every year .

NZ opener Guptill who has been f**&*&^%% awful so far to score 120 not out ..... and the really nice guys of the world come through .

..written in the stars I can see it now .

Won’t bother watching it but I hope NZ get there.

Post #500230  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Bought a new house today and my mum without seeing it phoned up to say it was a mistake and that we also needed to move our kids out of their school because of an ofsted report that wasn’t perfect.

You really can’t pick your family can you, aren’t they supposed to support you.

:laughing7: :laughing7: Yeah just what you want to hear ..... buying and moving to a new house is one of the most stressful events one does in life and your mother shooting from the hip saying you've f*****& up is the last thing you need .

TG, It’s the things you don’t do that you regret for the rest of your life. I am sure it will all work out well.

Post #500231  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:54 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
NZ opener Guptill who has been f**&*&^%% awful so far to score 120 not out .....

I’d expect an opener to score more than 120 if he’s not out in a 50 overs per side game. I hope Williamson gets a century.

Post #500232  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
:toothy9:
I guess anything can happen but as things stand I’ll be surprised if 2019/20 isn’t Emery’s last season at Arsenal. Where I may differ from you is that I’m not sure it will be his decision. If the lack of funds from KSE means a top four place is a pipe dream and we don’t win the Europa League, resulting in us not getting into the 2020/21 Champions League, I can see him being sacked.

I’m not saying Kroenke is bothered about fans’ opinions, but I see sacking managers as a way for him to divert blame away from his ownership. A sort of ‘What are you moaning about me for? I am doing my bit by dismissing an underperforming head coach.’ Ironic really, after Wenger was allowed to continue in post so long despite taking underperformance to new heights, as I think we could become a sacking club. Each head coach may be given a couple of years to get us back into the Champions League. If they fail to do so with the transfer budget being less than the cost of a bar of chocolate, they’re out.

I’m pretty sure I’ve made this point before.

I agree with this Bernard.

Notwithstanding injuries and the lack of quality but given the relative ease of the run-in and the opportunities we had against medicre opposition I actually think the last few weeks of the season were a management disasterclass from Emery. Surely, any half competent manager would have got a better return from the last few games than he did. Not to mention the nightmare Europa Final.

If a player who cost over 80 mil (68 plus the 15 we dropped in having to sell giroud at undervalue) had scored a penalty that’s all it would take. That plus the mental fragility of most of the squad is what cost us.

But I think you are correct in that Emery will probably be the sacrificial lamb. But I won’t be giving Henry or any other former player any longer time. The advantage the next manager has is that Özil and others will be at contract end.

We could end up like Newcastle- even Alardyce saying no thanks. Simple really - invest or perish. See the league littered with these clubs who were once great.

Post #500233  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 am 

So I guess we'd start the season with this back four - Monreal, Sokratis, Mustafi and AMN? When will Holding and Bellerin be back?

Xhaka, Torreira and Guendouzi to rotate for the 2 CM postions; Aubameyang, Lacazette, Iwobi, Özil and Mkhitaryan to rotate for the front 4 positions... wonder how we will fare - on paper, we should still be competitive enough for the top four.

Post #500234  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:13 am 

Instead of struggling with trying to get a 100%performance from Özil why haven't we tried to reinvent him ie turn him into Cazorla mark 2?

He has the same skills, maybe not so much in the defensive roll, but he could be the buy of the season if it works out.

Apologies for repeating this as I have mentioned it before with no response. I think am right as I was?about Sanchez so who agrees?

Post #500235  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:56 am 

Darren wrote:

I've long thought that Darren. Didn't their stadium costs run massively over budget?

Mind you they did make over £100m from the CL run.

Post #500236  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:57 am 

Hoping beyond hope some Arsenal fans will protest at the match. Even if they do it won't do much good. And to think, Kroenke had likely never heard of us if it weren't for Dein.

Anyway, water under the bridge. Just try to win despite of a bad owner. Not the first club in the world to try and succeed. Man Utd won big with the Glazers and no one talks about them much anymore despite having their worst finish in recent years for a few decades. Probably have to go back to the '80s for a finish that low for them I'm guessing.

Post #500237  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:14 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hoping beyond hope some Arsenal fans will protest at the match. Even if they do it won't do much good. And to think, Kroenke had likely never heard of us if it weren't for Dein.

I realise you drone on boringly about blaming Dein, but I can’t help wondering if on this occasion it might have happened because you read kiwi’s post, even if you didn’t read mine.

It was Fiszman who turned Kroenke into the majority shareholder, giving him control of the club. But you never mention Fiszman, as far as I can remember anyway.

Post #500238  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:26 am 

I wonder if Kroenke will go to any of the games on the US tour. I would assume he would.

Post #500239  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:29 am 

We've got friendlies against Bayern, Fiorentina and Real Madrid to playw with what looks a pretty uninspiring squad of players, supplemented by some promising kids.

Never mind, it is always darkest before the dawn............Martinelli will turn out to be the real deal and win the Golden Boot this season, before transferrring to Madrid for £250m.

Post #500240  Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Until the club gets run properly we’ll be savaged

Might not be quite so easy

You and a few others rightly lamenting the fact we seem to be floundering with club mangement transfers etc etc

while we the " little people " think how can this happen . Idiot decisions do and don't happen .

Sanchez not bering sold to Utd for 60 mill cash , no fee for Ramsay , sky high wages for Özil ....... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :36angers:

Now I'm here to tell you why ......

I've observed in life .............you get some glib talking incompetent **&%%$# who slimes his way into a position of power ...

...... then he tends to hire other incompetents because IF they weren to hire real sharp cookies [a] their own position comes under threat and [b] being icompetent himself he hasn't a decent handle on who to hire .

Another downfall of having a d*ck in charge ........is any real sharp cookie who does stumble into the fold ; quickly gets disillusioned with the inept way things are done and thinks bollocks to this and leaves for greener pastures

...... hence you end up with a logjam of dickstops ; either going through the motions or making p*ss poor decisions .

kiwi for world president.

You've just summed it up perfectly Pete. This is exactly what's happening in UK politics at the moment.

Our democracy is under attack, and who's going to be our next PM? An incompetent buffoon who only got where he is because of his upbringing and connections.

As for the Arsenal; it's becoming a right old sh*tshow isn't it.

KROENKE OUT

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12503, 12504, 12505, 12506, 12507, 12508, 12509 ... 14269  Next