Fixtures Weds April 17th - Bayern Munich - Allianz-Arena - UEFA Champions League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], gooner7, warrior and 49 guests

Post #499601  Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:17 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
Man U want £150m for Pogba. They bought him for £89m and he’s not even been in the top 15 central mids in the prem in that time. He turned up for 8 or so games but went completely missing for so many others. So why do Man U think they can put £60m on his price tag? And why would anyone pay it?
It annoys me how some players price tag is based on what their last transfer was and seem irrespective of their form

Pogba is one of the biggest stars in world football. Since his transfer we've had the Neymar move to PSG which really moved transfers up a level. And while he might be a social media obsessed bellend, he's a hugely talented footballer and would walk into any side in the league apart from City because they have both Silva and DeBruyne.

Pogba's value is more about his ability to sell stuff. No doubt a very good footballer but it's his marketability that is making clubs willing to pay crazy transfer fees for him.

Post #499602  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:49 am 

Rich wrote:
Man U want £150m for Pogba. They bought him for £89m and he’s not even been in the top 15 central mids in the prem in that time. He turned up for 8 or so games but went completely missing for so many others. So why do Man U think they can put £60m on his price tag? And why would anyone pay it?
It annoys me how some players price tag is based on what their last transfer was and seem irrespective of their form

I wouldn't mind having Pogba play for us but nothing close to the price. Mourinho killed a great box to box player. When he's happy and confident, he's a potential game changer. We saw it at Juve and the French national team.

Man Utd are dreaming. Maybe 2 clubs would even consider that (RM and PSG), maybe they are holding out for them.

Post #499603  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:33 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

Why not throw him onto the market at an inflated price .... ?

Some filthy rich club might see him as the answer to their prayers and splash the cash .

Can't see why that should annoy you so much ... you need to buy yourself a V8 motor and pull it to bits in the shed .... great stress release .

What would you prefer ....? " The Arsenal " way of doing things .. spurn a decent offer ; hang on to someone for another year then accept a calimitous swap deal a la Sanchez .

.... or then of course there's our other method ; let whoever run down their contract completely then offload them for nothing .

It probably annoys me because it is exactly the sort of thing Arsenal don't do.

Spend loads on talented player, talented player plays nowhere near as well as the fee we payed for him, talented player wants to leave, other clubs tap up talented player, we sell for 1/2 of what we paid

Post #499604  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:04 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Never mind Pogba .
What does annoy me ...... is these dumn as dog sh***t Americans blowing a couple of holes in two tankers , releasing images of a quality that wouldn't be out of place in an early 1920s silent movie

.... then immediately point the finger at Iran to justify turning another country into a shambolic mess .

Oh if you watched the video you'll see it was the Iranians alright.

Post #499605  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am 

May be some more vacancies in football administration coming up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-18/ ... p/11222568

Post #499606  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am 

Gunfire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Never mind Pogba .
What does annoy me ...... is these dumn as dog sh***t Americans blowing a couple of holes in two tankers , releasing images of a quality that wouldn't be out of place in an early 1920s silent movie

.... then immediately point the finger at Iran to justify turning another country into a shambolic mess .

But is there proof that they were deploying mines. The photos look like a bunch of guys in a boat

It’s odd that Japan and Norway are less worried than the US that their tankers were attacked.

Post #499607  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

But is there proof that they were deploying mines. The photos look like a bunch of guys in a boat

It’s odd that Japan and Norway are less worried than the US that their tankers were attacked.

I saw a bunch of lads in a boat take a mine put it in the boat and sail off. I doubt they'd be so cavalier if it wasnt their mine.

Post #499608  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:36 pm 

See Freddie has replaced Bould as Assistant Coach.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48662806

Post #499609  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I saw a bunch of lads in a boat take a mine put it in the boat and sail off. I doubt they'd be so cavalier if it wasnt their mine.

How is it known they aren’t Americans and the video is doctored

Don’t you think it’s odd the way it’s just the Americans kicking off about it and not the Japanese or Norwegians as it was their ships ?

Post #499610  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm 

So many penalties at the women’s World Cup due to VAR. even more interesting was the penalty that France missed but VAR intervened and said it should be retaken as the gk was a foot off her line. With encroachment from outfield players also a factor you wonder how consistent VAR will be with this in the prem.
All of these are matters of fact, like offside, so there can be no argument, it’s a black and white call. In theory we should see loads more penalties and loads more retaken for gk off their line or encroachment. Every penalty scored or missed will need to be checked.

This could be a right mess

Post #499611  Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 pm 

Arsenalia wrote:

Supposedly as part of pushing young players to be part of the first team squad. Exciting if true. Think likes of Nelson, Willock and Emile Smith Rowe won't let us down if given a dozen starts especially in cup games.

Post #499612  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:56 am 

Goonie wrote:
Arsenalia wrote:

Supposedly as part of pushing young players to be part of the first team squad. Exciting if true. Think likes of Nelson, Willock and Emile Smith Rowe won't let us down if given a dozen starts especially in cup games.

There was a podcast from Arseblog talking about the use of young players in the cups particularly in the Europa Cup. They were firmly in favour of it.

It is a good idea but if we go out in the group stages because of playing youths then it could cost us a fair bit of money (and even less for transfers in the future) plus it is no use all the supporters complaining if we go not progress. Emery really has some stressful issues to deal with in trying to find a balance at the club.

I would be interested to see what others think of this idea. I think I would play no more than 3 youths in every game and run the risk of elimination. If Özil is still with us he would be selected every time until his attitude improves.

On another issue I notice that we have friendlies against a few good opponents for a change. I wonder if Emery is wanting to prove an early point before the transfer window closes. We win these games and the team may be up to a big season. We fail miserably and get a couple of hidings and he tells them we need to do the trolley dash.

Post #499613  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:04 am 

Gunfire wrote:

:42laughter: so they were all wearing turbans and had little Iranian flags sewn on their sleeves .

Yep that it do it .... let's bomb Tehran .

Ever hear of the Gulf of Tonkin .

Post #499614  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Don’t you think it’s odd the way it’s just the Americans kicking off about it and not the Japanese or Norwegians as it was their ships ?

Good point Big Boy

Post #499615  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:14 pm 

So, Celtic and Besiktas is interested in Jenkinson. Our Jenkinson, right?

Post #499616  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, Celtic and Besiktas is interested in Jenkinson. Our Jenkinson, right?

Not just them

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/06/19/r ... jenkinson/

Post #499617  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 pm 

Bielik playing for Poland U21's on Sky.

Post #499618  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Bielik playing for Poland U21's on Sky.

Watched some of it. Enrico Chiesa's son looks like a player

Post #499619  Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 pm 

He shoots, he scores, our man Bielik puts the Poles ahead. Will they be able to hold out against a very hard press frm the Italian kids.............

Post #499620  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:03 am 

Another rule thing that is going to annoy me next season will be the amount of added on time. I’ve already got a problem with it as I 100% believe more time is added on if there is only 1 goal difference between the teams than if a team is winning 3-0, for example. Next season with VAR we are going to lose so much match time.
Imagine a game with 4 second half goals, 6 subs and 3 VAR referrals. Common thinking should be 60 seconds per goal, 30 seconds per sub and god knows how long for VAR, but easily 2 mins....even more if it is a penalty and we have all the protests. Can you imagine games regularly having 10+ minutes of added time? It just won’t be enforced.

Post #499621  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:30 am 

86. min. Argentina penalty by VAR
91. Scotland gk saves penalty
93. VAR says Take it again
93. Argentina scores
95. Although we have lost 7 mins the referee ends the game

Post #499622  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:59 am 

Rich wrote:
93. Argentina scores

I prefer a ref and two linos, warts and all.

Post #499623  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
93. Argentina scores

I prefer a ref and two linos, warts and all.

Agree 1000 per cent, Brom. VAR has been in operation in the Australian league for a couple of seasons (in fact, the first-ever VAR decision in a top-flight professional club competition in world football was in favour of my local team, Sydney FC, so I really should be more grateful), and it has only managed to muddy the waters every step of the way.

Was there enough contact for a penalty? Was the goalkeeper's boot a millimetre in front of the line when the spot-kick was taken? Let's have a look at it from a fourth angle for a fifth time - and then ask the ref to have a look for himself on his little screen. Football's crowning glory as a sport, the utter delirium of the ball hitting the back of the net, has been completely, terminally, compromised.

Sorry, VAR, you seemed nice enough, but I'm afraid it just isn't going to work out. It isn't me, it's you.

Post #499624  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 am 

The two things that particularly annoy me about VAR are:

1. The new 'natural silhouette' interpretation of handball. It's no longer about whether it's hand-to-ball or ball-to-hand or whether it's deliberate or intentional. It's not about the distance the ball has travelled either, nor even speed of the ball on contact. No, all that's been junked. Now, if the offending player hasn't adopted a 'natural silhouette', then it's handball. The point about this is that this new interpretation is a direct function of the introduction of VAR since the circumstances can only be judged in retrospect by freeze-frame analysis. That's not the rules of the game we all grew up with.

2. Goalkeepers moving on penalties. Goalkeepers have always moved on pens. Always always always. Again, elevating this traditional part of the game (to which everyone in the game turned a blind eye) to a bookable offence and a new pen is a direct result of VAR since it also requires freeze-frame analysis. It has always been that a GK had a chance, albeit slim, of saving a pen; VAR means that this random underdog's chance will be squeezed out of the game.

Post #499625  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Good point Big Boy

Now the US are saying their drone has been shot down in international airspace.

I really urge our government not to get involved in this bollocks.

Post #499626  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:46 am 

DHD wrote:

1. The new 'natural silhouette' interpretation of handball. It's no longer about whether it's hand-to-ball or ball-to-hand or whether it's deliberate or intentional. It's not about the distance the ball has travelled either, nor even speed of the ball on contact. No, all that's been junked. Now, if the offending player hasn't adopted a 'natural silhouette', then it's handball. The point about this is that this new interpretation is a direct function of the introduction of VAR since the circumstances can only be judged in retrospect by freeze-frame analysis. That's not the rules of the game we all grew up with

Agree 100%

Whisper it quietly but I thought the penalty decision in the champions league final was ludicrous. To decide a major competition like that was ridiculous. Handball needs to be deliberate and only the referee can decide what that consists of.

Post #499627  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:54 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

1. The new 'natural silhouette' interpretation of handball. It's no longer about whether it's hand-to-ball or ball-to-hand or whether it's deliberate or intentional. It's not about the distance the ball has travelled either, nor even speed of the ball on contact. No, all that's been junked. Now, if the offending player hasn't adopted a 'natural silhouette', then it's handball. The point about this is that this new interpretation is a direct function of the introduction of VAR since the circumstances can only be judged in retrospect by freeze-frame analysis. That's not the rules of the game we all grew up with

Agree 100%

Whisper it quietly but I thought the penalty decision in the champions league final was ludicrous. To decide a major competition like that was ridiculous. Handball needs to be deliberate and only the referee can decide what that consists of.

I also thought that pen was very soft (oh dear, how sad, what a pity) but the interesting point about it is that it was given by the Ref without recourse to VAR. It shows how quickly this entirely new VAR-driven interpretation has been written into the rules of the game.

Post #499628  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:34 pm 

Arsenalia wrote:

I'm happy for Freddie but the question begs, was this a demotion for Bould? I wonder how about the chemistry between Emery and Bould? Whose decision?

Also, was Freddie the clubs decision? I really don't know about any prior history between Emery and Freddie. Usually, managers bring in their own people. I like that Arsenal tries to maintain the generational transition from prior players to new players. Keeps the club a "family".

Anyway, just hope it all works out.

Post #499629  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:36 pm 

I read a rumor Man Utd are going to make a bid for Aubie. 70 mil was banded around from what I read. Shows you just where we are. Man Utd finish below but we may still be a feeder club to them. I hope its not true.

Post #499630  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:15 pm 

What good will it do. This has as much chance of happening as I would to have an online campaign to end trolling on the SG forum..lololol :42laughter:
Seriously though, so what? The ONLY thing that will have any semblance of effect is hit Kroenke in the pockets with a boycott. And that won't happen.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... t-16456877

'Kroenke out!' - Arsenal fans start online campaign to remove majority shareholder from club

Post #499631  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Arsenalia wrote:

I'm happy for Freddie but the question begs, was this a demotion for Bould? I wonder how about the chemistry between Emery and Bould? Whose decision?

Also, was Freddie the clubs decision? I really don't know about any prior history between Emery and Freddie. Usually, managers bring in their own people. I like that Arsenal tries to maintain the generational transition from prior players to new players. Keeps the club a "family".

As I understand it, Bouldy actually asked to be allowed to return to the academy last summer, but agreed to remain as was for continuity purposes; he was never fully comfortable with the role he had at 1st team level.

It will be good, from a personal level, to be around "uncle" again in the academy.

Post #499632  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:30 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

As I understand it, Bouldy actually asked to be allowed to return to the academy last summer, but agreed to remain as was for continuity purposes; he was never fully comfortable with the role he had at 1st team level.

It will be good, from a personal level, to be around "uncle" again in the academy.

I did wonder about that. It did seem to make some sense for Ljungberg to take up the role in that we’re looking to transition these young players he’s been working with. It looked a move with a lot of upside apart from for Bouldy as it seems somewhat of a demotion, however if he’s been wanting the move it explains that. Good news all round.

Post #499633  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hi Hodd.

What are your thoughts on Ljungberg (apart from being a club legend obviously)?

Do you think Bielik will be sold, especially if his performances in the u21 euros brings in a few bids?

Post #499634  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 pm 

I hope we get some of these deals for outstanding youngsters over the line. It seems the logical route given our financial predicament and it could lead to an exciting season. However, there is always a feeling that we are not really at the top of the queue for them and once any kind of fee is agreed the big boys will swoop in.

Post #499635  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Good point Big Boy

Now the US are saying their drone has been shot down in international airspace.

I really urge our government not to get involved in this bollocks.

Wouldn't want to hold your breath on that one TG .

Boris as foreign secretary seemed one , only to willing to shoot from the hip and not too worried whether it hits him in the toe or the intended target .

Shoulder to shoulder with our trans Atlantic brothers I think will be the line .

Post #499636  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:15 pm 

Thanks for the perspective, Hodd. As long as everyone is happy with their roles.

Post #499637  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I read a rumor Man Utd are going to make a bid for Aubie. 70 mil was banded around from what I read. Shows you just where we are. Man Utd finish below but we may still be a feeder club to them. I hope its not true.

It's a good strategy to strengthen your squad and weaken your rival. If Aubameyang wants to leave and we can get 80m or more, I say sell him. Not sure if Lacazette can step up to be a 20-goal striker in the league but the money could be re-invested to get two players for the first team and theoretically that should make us stronger.

Post #499638  Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 pm 

socrates wrote:
I hope we get some of these deals for outstanding youngsters over the line. It seems the logical route given our financial predicament and it could lead to an exciting season. However, there is always a feeling that we are not really at the top of the queue for them and once any kind of fee is agreed the big boys will swoop in.

Playing regularly rather than be on the bench would be a big factor for some players. I think we can re-look at the recruiting strategy that got us Vieira, Henry - young talents struggling at big clubs but excel when given the opportunity to play. If Emery can help realise the potential of some our young players, he will earn the reputation Wenger used to enjoy, and more young players would be keen to join.

Post #499639  Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:21 am 

socrates wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Hi Hodd.

What are your thoughts on Ljungberg (apart from being a club legend obviously)?

Do you think Bielik will be sold, especially if his performances in the u21 euros brings in a few bids?

Hi Soc
Freddie is highly thought of within the club. That and the fact Emery’s remit is to promote youngsters from the academy into the 1st team squad, makes this appointment something of a no-brainer.
Bielik is an interesting one and could go either way tbh. He did well on loan last year, but isn’t ready to push into our 1st team; he needs games which could mean another loan or, if a good offer comes in, a permanent move away.

Post #499640  Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:22 am 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

It's a good strategy to strengthen your squad and weaken your rival. If Aubameyang wants to leave and we can get 80m or more, I say sell him. Not sure if Lacazette can step up to be a 20-goal striker in the league but the money could be re-invested to get two players for the first team and theoretically that should make us stronger.

I know it is, but I just long for the days when a Man Utd / Arsenal transfer was rare. I never, ever want to see a player of Aubameyang's quality transfer within in the league. Or even go anywhere. But if he has to go, out of the country is the only option I wouldn't be totally upset about. I'd rather take less from a club outside the country that 80 mil inside.

[ 571504 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12488, 12489, 12490, 12491, 12492, 12493, 12494 ... 14288  Next