Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 92 guests

Post #499521  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. .

Well that’s just a stupid decision and rule we make

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

I'd play the second GK for the league cup and FA cup if we draw an 'easy team' and for the Europa group stages. For all other games get Leno in. Not that Čech let us down in the Europa but Kepa played for Chelsea in the final and we don't have a 2nd choice GK as good as Čech this year (or it would be silly to waste some of our small budget trying to buy a back up GK as good as Čech). Given how many positions we need to buy for a back-up GK may have to be the position where we rely on Martinez and keep our fingers crossed Leno stays fit all season. He has a higher probability of doing that than any other outfield player

Post #499522  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 am 

A few teams sniffing around Lovren - Liverpool immediately put a £25m asking price on him. he's 29 and has been ok but makes errors. We sold Gabriel for £10m.

Post #499523  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 am 

VAR is going to have a massive affect on the number of penalties given in the prem next year. We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustaif, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box. We need to sort this out n ext year or I can see us conceding 10+ penalties for the season.

Maybe, just maybe Lacazette with the help of VAR might actually start getting some penalties, he must have been fouled in the box 8-10 times last year with nothing given.

We need to be streetwise and totally play the system, get in the box more, dribble at people, chip the ball at any outstretched hand. Play for the opportunity of everything having to go to VAR

Post #499524  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 am 

Rich wrote:
A few teams sniffing around Lovren - Liverpool immediately put a £25m asking price on him. he's 29 and has been ok but makes errors. We sold Gabriel for £10m.

I see talk of us selling Cahmbers for £12m.

Now, I accept he's no Kante but by all accounts he was one of the better defensive midfielders in the PL last season and he's also young and english. Surely there must be mid to lower PL sides who would pay £15m+ for him?

Post #499525  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 am 

We are being linked with a lot of young and quite exciting talents, which is great, but you do feel we need to get deals done and dusted before the monied clubs arrive on the scene. Or are we simply going to wait until everyone else has done their business and pick the bones out of what is left?

Post #499526  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyone thinking of buying a pair or would wear it?

They are hideous enough already even without the added wheel under the heel

Post #499527  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am 

I am finding it hard to get interested in all the transfer rumours. It feels as if our stock has fallen to such an extent where for the first time (for me anyway) we just feel like an unambitious Europa League club with a proud history. Without a change of owner who actively plans and invests in Arsenal so we can challenge Europe's elite, we are reliant on finding a manager who can perform minor miracles.

Post #499528  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:10 am 

Bernard: What was the atmosphere like in the Arsenal section in Baku?

Post #499529  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 am 

Rich wrote:
We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustaif, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box.

Surprised you didn’t add Holding to your list. Didn’t he concede penalties against Palace and Tottenham last season?

Post #499530  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 am 

Bored wrote:
Bernard: What was the atmosphere like in the Arsenal section in Baku?

Not that good and I’d say the same about the Chelsea section. But once we conceded the atmosphere practically became non-existent in our section and picked up in their’s.

Post #499531  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 am 

Fixtures are out.

Away to Newcastle on 11th August - that's a Sunday. Anyone know why?

Then Burnley home, Liverpool away, Spurs home.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/well-visit-newcastle-opening-day

Post #499532  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 am 

DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

Is it live on telly?

Post #499533  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

Is it live on telly?

TV fixtures haven't been announced yet, as far as I know.

Post #499534  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:41 am 

Rich wrote:
VAR is going to have a massive affect on the number of penalties given in the prem next year. We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustaif, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box. We need to sort this out n ext year or I can see us conceding 10+ penalties for the season.

Maybe, just maybe Lacazette with the help of VAR might actually start getting some penalties, he must have been fouled in the box 8-10 times last year with nothing given.

We need to be streetwise and totally play the system, get in the box more, dribble at people, chip the ball at any outstretched hand. Play for the opportunity of everything having to go to VAR

Oh god yeah I forgot.

Can you imagine the diving and cheating that’s going to happen.

I do wonder if next season will be the one that kills the acceptance of VAR. everyone’s going to hate the arguments it creates

Post #499535  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 am 

Bored wrote:
I am finding it hard to get interested in all the transfer rumours. It feels as if our stock has fallen to such an extent where for the first time (for me anyway) we just feel like an unambitious Europa League club with a proud history. Without a change of owner who actively plans and invests in Arsenal so we can challenge Europe's elite, we are reliant on finding a manager who can perform minor miracles.

I feel the same.

The only players we are getting linked with that really excite are Tierney and Ismailia Sarr who are both 21 have long futures in the game.

Getting linked to 26 year olds who play for Fiorentina and in China I’m not sure is the answer.

Post #499536  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 am 

DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

So we could realistically have a DWLD and be 7 points behind the leader after 4 matches. Or 4 straight Wins and lead the table with a few hard games played already.

Post #499537  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:08 am 

DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

I always look at the last 4 or 5 matches and its not an easy run in to the end of the season. If we are on the cusp again its going to be very tough.

Post #499538  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Is it live on telly?

TV fixtures haven't been announced yet, as far as I know.

yes

Post #499539  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 am 

Emmanuel Dennis? Interesting. 21 already so for the first team I guess.

Post #499540  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/liverp ... fee-report

If Fekir is available for 15m euros then about 20 teams are going to be in for him, soon enough the fee will rise to well over £30m probably closer to £40-50m. I just cant see how Liverpool would get a free run at him for £15m

Post #499541  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:51 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustafi, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box.

Surprised you didn’t add Holding to your list. Didn’t he concede penalties against Palace and Tottenham last season?

True - I think his long absence made me forget him. At least we have a GK who doesn't come rushing and sliding out at every opportunity. It seems like Szczesny and Almunia were giving away pens every week with their style of keeping!

Post #499542  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

True - I think his long absence made me forget him. At least we have a GK who doesn't come rushing and sliding out at every opportunity. It seems like Szczesny and Almunia were giving away pens every week with their style of keeping!

We are supposedly close to signing another German GK - Schubert. So none of Martinez, Iliev and Macey good enough to be back up to Leno?

Post #499543  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:44 pm 

Goonie wrote:
We are supposedly close to signing another German GK - Schubert...
Hopefully not an unfinished work...

Post #499544  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Goonie wrote:
We are supposedly close to signing another German GK - Schubert...

I trout that.

Post #499545  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm 

Wonder what happens with Bielik this summer. He’s basically said he’s not going to play U23 football next year, and not should he.
He’s got the Euro U21 championships for Poland this summer so there won’t be a big opportunity to show Emery what he can do.
My feeling is if Arsenal are being as ruthless as they say then he’ll be sold this summer. He spent a successful season on loan to Charlton in league 1, it’s a big step from that to Arsenal.

Post #499546  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:38 am 

https://futaa.com/article/184521/arsena ... ds-referee

Post #499547  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 am 

long time gooner wrote:
https://futaa.com/article/184521/arsenal-coach-banned-after-aggressive-behaviour-towards-referee

I coached my son's team for the last few years (he's 14). It's a big problem in the game. Some people behave ina totally inappropriate manner. Equally childish and aggressive. Very disappointing that it would be the case at Arsenal.

Post #499548  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 am 

Rich wrote:
Wonder what happens with Bielik this summer. He’s basically said he’s not going to play U23 football next year, and not should he.
He’s got the Euro U21 championships for Poland this summer so there won’t be a big opportunity to show Emery what he can do.
My feeling is if Arsenal are being as ruthless as they say then he’ll be sold this summer. He spent a successful season on loan to Charlton in league 1, it’s a big step from that to Arsenal.

wasn't he hailed initially as the Polish Vieira? The initial video I saw of him said there was some promise in him. I can only see our first team matches and not being locally I can't see the reserve matches so have no idea how well or badly he did. It didn't appear he did well because he was moved from midfield to defense I think or so I thought I read, maybe I got it wrong, this was a few years ago.

Post #499549  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am 

dec wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
https://futaa.com/article/184521/arsenal-coach-banned-after-aggressive-behaviour-towards-referee

I coached my son's team for the last few years (he's 14). It's a big problem in the game. Some people behave ina totally inappropriate manner. Equally childish and aggressive. Very disappointing that it would be the case at Arsenal.

I did the same a few years ago. Saw some jaw dropping stuff, mainly with parents and occasionally with ‘coaches’. Never with the boys and girls though.

Post #499550  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

I did the same a few years ago. Saw some jaw dropping stuff, mainly with parents and occasionally with ‘coaches’. Never with the boys and girls though.

My son doesn't play football anymore. Had a season at a youth club but didn't respond to the way the coaches were with the kids, made him lose all interest in playing it. He now plays rugby which he loves. The coaching is exemplary and the way they get spoken to is so encouraging, even if they do something wrong it's always spun in a positive way. He's not a natural sportsman by any stretch of the imagination, but he loves playing rugby. I think the coaches have a massive bearing on it.

Post #499551  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 pm 

Pablo Fornals signs for West Ham for £24m - very good signing for them.

It made me look in to their transfer history: approximates of net spend are:
19/20 +£24m spent so far
18/19 +£90m spent
17/18 - £13m spent
16/17 +£43m spent
15/16 +£34m spent
14/15 +£30m spent
13/14 +£24m spent
12/13 +£24m spent

averaging £32m per season. Arsenal have averaged a net spend of £35m per season in the same time-frame.

I know our wages are bigger but so is our prize money, tv money, match day money, sponsorship money etc etc.
How on earth are West Ham spending the same amount as us in transfers?

Post #499552  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:54 pm 

Darren wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

My son doesn't play football anymore. Had a season at a youth club but didn't respond to the way the coaches were with the kids, made him lose all interest in playing it. He now plays rugby which he loves. The coaching is exemplary and the way they get spoken to is so encouraging, even if they do something wrong it's always spun in a positive way. He's not a natural sportsman by any stretch of the imagination, but he loves playing rugby. I think the coaches have a massive bearing on it.

I agree the coaches make all the difference. My son is still playing youth football and the coaches at his club are excellent, very encouraging and supportive of the boys, not tolerating unsportsmanlike behaviour, rotating so all the squad get game time etc.

Post #499553  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

It's primarily been a problem with coaches in my experience, although they are of course parents also. I made a point of never shouting criticism at a ref (although I once did the VAR sign for the laugh). Only last month I was at a game where one of the opposition coaches had to he physically restrained by his colleague. It's demented stuff.

I agree with Darren too about encouragement being key. I had to give up last year and the lads who took over from me are nice guys but their expectations of what the kids can do are ridiculous. The shout of "too easy" when opponents get through is all too frequent. I asked my son about that and he hates it. His comment was that it is meaningless because he doesn't know what they have done wrong.

Post #499554  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I trout that.

Quite a trio of comedians, aren't you?

Post #499555  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:

I agree the coaches make all the difference. My son is still playing youth football and the coaches at his club are excellent, very encouraging and supportive of the boys, not tolerating unsportsmanlike behaviour, rotating so all the squad get game time etc.

Rotation is vital and sadly loads of coaches don't do it. In the long term lack of rotation weakens a squad big time because the kids that don't play fall behind through lack of practice.

Post #499556  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 pm 

How good is Joe Root?

Post #499557  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:20 pm 

I'm encouraged by the quality of signings and transfer targets. Young, dynamic. If any of them blossom into big stars, I expect them to leave. That's par for the course.

Post #499558  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:25 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm encouraged by the quality of signings and transfer targets. Young, dynamic. If any of them blossom into big stars, I expect them to leave. That's par for the course.

What signings?

Post #499559  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 pm 

Linked with another young Brazilian, Reinier Jesus, 17, attacking mid/No.10. Hopefully Edu can work his magic.

Post #499560  Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

What signings?

Was thinking the same thing Bromley. Have I or we missed something?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12486, 12487, 12488, 12489, 12490, 12491, 12492 ... 14269  Next