Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Lincoln gooner and 92 guests

Post #498841  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:39 pm 

On this day in 1989. I obviously wasn't there but feel I was there in spirit. Every time I watch it, I'm nervous Thomas won't score. Crazy, I know.

Post #498842  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:30 am 

I'll cry far longer than a week. :1cry:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/apos-spurs ... 45075.html
'If Spurs win Champions League, I might cry for a week!' - Pochettino

Post #498843  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:32 am 

Perish the thought they do win, but if so, I never, ever considered that within 15 years of the Invincibles, I'd see Chelsea and Spurs win a CL before we do.

Post #498844  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:16 am 

Kante is meant to be ruled out of the cup final. Loftus-cheek is also out.

Post #498845  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:46 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Perish the thought they do win, but if so, I never, ever considered that within 15 years of the Invincibles, I'd see Chelsea and Spurs win a CL before we do.
Though for my generation it was inconceivable that Spurs never won the European Cup, nor more than one league title. Their great side of the early 60s may well have won the big-eared jug if the competition had allowed four entrants as it does these days. Back then only the league champions were eligible. In 1962 they got to the European Cup semis, while we were vin ordinaire.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 88254.html

Post #498846  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 am 

Rich wrote:

So no one has mentioned the elephant in the room. Giroud 13 games 10 goals and 3-4 assists in Europa this season. When you talk about undervalues when we sell players this was another classic. I know we had to make the Aubameyang deal happen but we got about half his value for Giroud. IMO it meant that the Aubameyang cost us another 15mil. I just wish we could have pushed them Wellbeck at the time instead of Giroud.

I just hope whoever we buy this offseason we do some due diligence on their injury history. We definitely can't afford another Suarez, Diaby, Wellbeck or Ramsay.

Post #498847  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:03 am 

Hey omoh, yes, I've read from you, Mee (RIP) and others about that early '60s side, what was it 'kick and run' tactic it was called, basically attacking football. Wasn't there a quote from a sperz player of that era who said something to the effect that The Arsenal were still the biggest side in London.

What I didn't know was that they got to the semis of the EC. I took a look at the bracket from this site
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961%E2%8 ... ropean_Cup

and they lost to eventual champions Benfica, who seem on another level. When you beat the Real Madrid of the '60s 5-3 in a final, you are very good.

What was it like as an Arsenal fan in those days (assuming you remember those days)? Must have been depressing, especially since we weren't good for a while.

Post #498848  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:16 am 

I predict if Ashley sells Newcastle to this bloke they will get a lot of overseas sponsorship and be easily able to outbid us for any players. If it comes true we should start being concerned about our lack of investment in the club.

https://www.givemesport.com/1478486-mik ... utoplay=on

IMO it is not good enough to say that we are self sustaining. You need to look at how the value of the club has improved. Most good corporations carry 20% debt level.
As the value of the club went up the owner should have been investing. Instead he has invested nothing in the club but the value has gone thru the roof. I don't buy the self sustaining BS.

Post #498849  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:12 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don't buy the self sustaining BS.

I agree with you on this. I've said a few times, the self-sustaining strategy is used by the Kroenke regime to justify Stan, himself a multi-billionaire many times over, not putting a single cent or penny of his own money into the club.

My heart sank when I saw Josh say words to the effect of how much he respects the club's traditions, which I took to mean the self-sustaining strategy. Hence I don't expect anything to change when Stan kicks the bucket.

Post #498850  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hey omoh, yes, I've read from you, Mee (RIP) and others about that early '60s side, what was it 'kick and run' tactic it was called, basically attacking football. Wasn't there a quote from a sperz player of that era who said something to the effect that The Arsenal were still the biggest side in London.

What I didn't know was that they got to the semis of the EC. I took a look at the bracket from this site

and they lost to eventual champions Benfica, who seem on another level. When you beat the Real Madrid of the '60s 5-3 in a final, you are very good.

What was it like as an Arsenal fan in those days (assuming you remember those days)? Must have been depressing, especially since we weren't good for a while.
Hi AG - it was the early 50s Spurs side under Arthur Rowe that played 'push and run' which was a very attractive 'one-two' style. Good enough to win the First Division, as it was known then. A decade later, under Bill Nicholson, who had been in Rowe's team, Spurs had a perfect combination of players and were a great side. I can't remember being depressed at all by football in those days - it was just sport and not a matter of life and death. One regret though was the way Arsenal missed out on three of Tottenham's finest men - Blanchflower, Jones and Mackay - all of whom we decided not to buy. We were tight around the pound note in that era while other clubs spent big.

Post #498851  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I predict if Ashley sells Newcastle to this bloke they will get a lot of overseas sponsorship and be easily able to outbid us for any players. If it comes true we should start being concerned about our lack of investment in the club.

IMO it is not good enough to say that we are self sustaining. You need to look at how the value of the club has improved. Most good corporations carry 20% debt level.
As the value of the club went up the owner should have been investing. Instead he has invested nothing in the club but the value has gone thru the roof. I don't buy the self sustaining BS.

Haha thats all we need, Qatar and more UAE money coming into the league, while we get shifted further and further down the pecking order, the self-sustaining thing was always a positive PR spin term for KSE not investing any money, anyone who thought otherwise was lets just say 'naive'.

Lets just hope the PL spending rules and UEFA's toothless FFP stop these billionaires from doping their clubs too much otherwise we will be firmly midtable within the next 4-5 years.

I do wonder how ST sales will go if we fail to get in the CL, must be getting to the point now where there is no (somewhat mythical) waiting list.

Post #498852  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:06 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hi AG - it was the early 50s Spurs side under Arthur Rowe that played 'push and run' which was a very attractive 'one-two' style. Good enough to win the First Division, as it was known then. A decade later, under Bill Nicholson, who had been in Rowe's team, Spurs had a perfect combination of players and were a great side. I can't remember being depressed at all by football in those days - it was just sport and not a matter of life and death. One regret though was the way Arsenal missed out on three of Tottenham's finest men - Blanchflower, Jones and Mackay - all of whom we decided not to buy. We were tight around the pound note in that era while other clubs spent big.

I suppose we were self sustaining model 101

Post #498853  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:13 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Haha thats all we need, Qatar and more UAE money coming into the league, while we get shifted further and further down the pecking order, the self-sustaining thing was always a positive PR spin term for KSE not investing any money, anyone who thought otherwise was lets just say 'naive'.

Lets just hope the PL spending rules and UEFA's toothless FFP stop these billionaires from doping their clubs too much otherwise we will be firmly midtable within the next 4-5 years.

I do wonder how ST sales will go if we fail to get in the CL, must be getting to the point now where there is no (somewhat mythical) waiting list.

On one of the podcasts they were saying that after a visit to the US by our top boys they came back with no idea whether we would increase the transfer budget even if we got CL. Kroenkes would not commit. I trust these pricks as much as I trust politicians. Arthur Daley looks like an honest person compared to them.

Post #498854  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:15 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

So no one has mentioned the elephant in the room. Giroud 13 games 10 goals and 3-4 assists in Europa this season. When you talk about undervalues when we sell players this was another classic. I know we had to make the Aubameyang deal happen but we got about half his value for Giroud. IMO it meant that the Aubameyang cost us another 15mil. I just wish we could have pushed them Wellbeck at the time instead of Giroud.

I just hope whoever we buy this offseason we do some due diligence on their injury history. We definitely can't afford another Suarez, Diaby, Wellbeck or Ramsay.

This problem is, as far as I know Ramsey, diaby and Suarez hadn’t had any sort of injury history when we signed them. Ramsey signed as a 17 year old didn’t he.
The high profile players I can remember us signing with injury histories, overmars and Kanu turned out ok.
Players generally develop their injury history with us rather than before us

Post #498855  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:13 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Decided to check in here on a whim to see what the general mood was before such a strange week. Nice to see Dad is still mentioned and that Old Man of Hoy remains the forum's resident historian.

By Wednesday night Arsenal could be facing another season out of the European Cup. By Saturday night Tottenham might be champions of that very same competition. I can safely say Dad's pessimism would have gone into overdrive this week. There would be no "might" or "could" about these two finals though. In his mind Emery would be sullenly taking off his runners up medal. Harry Kane and Dele Alli would already be revelling in the sort of lap of honour the likes of Bergkamp, Vieira and Pires somehow never managed.

As a Liverpool fan, this is not an enjoyable build up in the slightest. However confident I am in the club's general direction, a craving remains for a defining success after so many near misses. That Tottenham of all teams could deny such a moment is going to make this an agonisingly long week. There's an "anyone but Liverpool" sentiment amongst a lot of fans that (often correctly) predicts an unbearable few years of gloating in the wake of any success. I assure you there aren't enough ex-Liverpool pundits in the world to compete with the racket that will be made if Spurs win on Saturday though. They have all the posterboys of Southgate's PR-friendly national team, they can do no wrong. You won't be able to escape the media adulation if the unthinkable happens.

(If you hadn't already guessed, pessimism is inherited)

Post #498856  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:36 pm 

Jonathan wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Decided to check in here on a whim to see what the general mood was before such a strange week. Nice to see Dad is still mentioned and that Old Man of Hoy remains the forum's resident historian.

By Wednesday night Arsenal could be facing another season out of the European Cup. By Saturday night Tottenham might be champions of that very same competition. I can safely say Dad's pessimism would have gone into overdrive this week. There would be no "might" or "could" about these two finals though. In his mind Emery would be sullenly taking off his runners up medal. Harry Kane and Dele Alli would already be revelling in the sort of lap of honour the likes of Bergkamp, Vieira and Pires somehow never managed.

As a Liverpool fan, this is not an enjoyable build up in the slightest. However confident I am in the club's general direction, a craving remains for a defining success after so many near misses. That Tottenham of all teams could deny such a moment is going to make this an agonisingly long week. There's an "anyone but Liverpool" sentiment amongst a lot of fans that (often correctly) predicts an unbearable few years of gloating in the wake of any success. I assure you there aren't enough ex-Liverpool pundits in the world to compete with the racket that will be made if Spurs win on Saturday though. They have all the posterboys of Southgate's PR-friendly national team, they can do no wrong. You won't be able to escape the media adulation if the unthinkable happens.

:58big-emoticons: nice post.

We are all definitely rooting for Liverpool against Spuds.

Post #498857  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:56 pm 

Hello Jonathan, your dad will always be here in spirit. I would also say that had your Liverpool won the league, it would be a media frenzy as well. The CL final and the Europa Cup could be a very, very bad year for us Arsenal fans.

By the way, how did you escape being an Arsenal fan with your father being a fan? I hear that its almost hereditary that sons must support their father's side.

Post #498858  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:39 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I suppose we were self sustaining model 101
Back then pretty much all English clubs were self-sustaining, in that they relied on gate money to exist. A few clubs had sizeable business backers - Everton for instance - or generous Directors, but basically the paying fans were the decisive factor. Unlike today, where broadcasting and laundered money are king.

Post #498859  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:08 pm 

Jonathan wrote:
Decided to check in here on a whim to see what the general mood was before such a strange week. Nice to see Dad is still mentioned and that Old Man of Hoy remains the forum's resident historian... As a Liverpool fan, this is not an enjoyable build up in the slightest. However confident I am in the club's general direction, a craving remains for a defining success after so many near misses. That Tottenham of all teams could deny such a moment is going to make this an agonisingly long week. There's an "anyone but Liverpool" sentiment amongst a lot of fans that (often correctly) predicts an unbearable few years of gloating in the wake of any success. I assure you there aren't enough ex-Liverpool pundits in the world to compete with the racket that will be made if Spurs win on Saturday though. They have all the posterboys of Southgate's PR-friendly national team, they can do no wrong. You won't be able to escape the media adulation if the unthinkable happens... (If you hadn't already guessed, pessimism is inherited)
Hi Jonathan - so pleased to read your post. On balance I probably prefer a Liverpool win because they were almost Premiership champions, and as such deserving of something this season. However, with so many upsets of late I fancy Spurs will do it - surely their trophy drought must end? Some old Arsenal-Liverpool links your Dad would have known - Joe Baker and Dennis Evans were born there; Geoff Strong and Ray Kennedy transferred from Highbury to Anfield, while Jim Furnell made the opposite journey; and Joe Mercer, when Arsenal captain, used to train during the week with Liverpool and commute to London for the weekend game, an arrangement made to suit his business obligations. Those were the days!

Post #498860  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:22 pm 

warrior wrote:
Darren wrote:
Some rumours tonight that leeds are going to be bought by PSG’s owners. Even richer that Man City’s owners. Bonkers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... stments/?u

LEEDS SAINT-GERMAIN? Leeds deny they are in talks with PSG owners Qatari Sports Investments following reports

What about the rumours that Newcastle are to be sold to a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family? All aboard the gravy train as the wheel of fortune spins again. Football is becoming horrendous.

Post #498861  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:54 pm 

Story in the Sun that Koscielny will leave this summer because Arsenal are unwilling (words to that effect) to renew his contract, which expires in 2020. Makes sense that the club won't give him a new contract as he's way past his best through age, injury, and the loss of Mertesacker. So it could be true he'd like to move on.

Post #498862  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:53 pm 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ike-ashley

Looks like the Newcastle story is for real, oh great more oil money in the pantomime of the premier league, no doubt they are soon to be sponsored by some mysterious middle eastern business at a rate 20x the market value, yet as usual UEFA, the FA etc. will just ignore it.

Post #498863  Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:26 pm 

There is no reason why Arfa Daley (Kroenke) can’t pay the club 10 mil per season to advertise his baseball club plus 10 for each of his other clubs. Would help the transfer budget.

Post #498864  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
There is no reason why Arfa Daley (Kroenke) can’t pay the club 10 mil per season to advertise his baseball club plus 10 for each of his other clubs. Would help the transfer budget.

We're just an investment to him, nothing more, where as for the 'oil money' brigade it is a way of white-washing their image and probably a certain amount bordem and vanity, what do you do when you have trillions to spend?, basically unless the governing bodies start taking 'FFP' more seriously, and to date they have shown complete ambivalence towards it, then clubs who are owned by the likes of KSE are screwed, the self-sponsorship bs will continue to get around the rules and we will struggle to compete for the best players because of it, it all started with Abramovich and its got to the point now where even he is baulking at the idea of throwing money around because others have bigger wallets.

Only watched a handful of games (on TV) this season and will probably be watching even less next, I can't see Liverpool continuing to compete with City into next season, as far as I am concerned I hope City turn the PL into the SPL and win it year after year, because that is exactly what the PL deserves for allowing almost every club to be sold off to various scumbags of one type or another, we've just got the wrong type..

Post #498865  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:48 am 

Bring back Peres Now.

https://www.facebook.com/dreamteamfc/vi ... 146559502/

Post #498866  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:02 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
We're just an investment to him, nothing more, where as for the 'oil money' brigade it is a way of white-washing their image and probably a certain amount bordem and vanity, what do you do when you have trillions to spend?, basically unless the governing bodies start taking 'FFP' more seriously, and to date they have shown complete ambivalence towards it, then clubs who are owned by the likes of KSE are screwed, the self-sponsorship bs will continue to get around the rules and we will struggle to compete for the best players because of it, it all started with Abramovich and its got to the point now where even he is baulking at the idea of throwing money around because others have bigger wallets.

Only watched a handful of games (on TV) this season and will probably be watching even less next, I can't see Liverpool continuing to compete with City into next season, as far as I am concerned I hope City turn the PL into the SPL and win it year after year, because that is exactly what the PL deserves for allowing almost every club to be sold off to various scumbags of one type or another, we've just got the wrong type..

That's pretty much it. I recall at the time, I kept saying on here, Kroenke will be a disaster. I knew what kind of owner he was in America. There are some owners who buy a team to win things. The NFL is a very, very exclusive group. America has a lot of billionaires but only 30 get to own a team so its sort of the most exclusive billionaires club in America it has been said. Forbes has 400 on its famous list. The NFL, America's biggest league and sport, has only 30. NBA and MLB (baseball) has 30 but its not seen as exclusive as American football for cultural reasons, the NFL is seen as the higher profile.

Anyway, Kroenke bought his team simply for investment. Because of its exclusivity, the value of teams often go up far more than most other large investments like stocks, hedge funds, commercial properties/high rises. I recall the arguments by some on here at the time like 'look at this team he has' or 'this team' and 'that team' he has as some harbinger of the future, without knowing what kind of owner he is seen as. Usmanov also had his negatives but at least he knew the sport and he would have spent. I'm not saying Usmanov is a savior but would he really have been worse than Kroenke? We'd have to hold our noses for him.

Kroenke's main project are the Rams. There is no doubt about it. It's where his energy....an alas his money is going. They got into the Super Bowl last year. Their best season for years. He turned around a team that couldn't win more than half their games into a final contender in a few short years. So, the notion he doesn't know how to build a winner is BS. He just lacks the desire with us. I've said this before, the reason he was granted the Los Angeles franchise to host a team was because it is the 2nd biggest media market in America, and the NFL wanted a winner there because a winner would reap big money in advertising, shirt sales, etc. The NFL shares merchandising revenue with all clubs, so the other owners wanted a winner there as well. Different than the EPL obviously where you keep your own merchandising revenue.

The only possible upside for the future is if Josh gives a damn about winning. We are stuck with the Kroenke's for decades, unless they decide to sell and right now I can't see where that is going to happen unless the family's fortune falls on hard times.

Basically we are f*cked.

PS:
..and I still blame Dein. He left the board with 2 bad choices. He brought the only 2 choices to the club. All for is own ego of running the club the way he wants it.

Post #498867  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 am 

Jonathan wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm feeling moderately optimistic, Jonathan, because frankly, dwelling on the alternative is something I would rather not do. Its quite unthinkable, as you suggest. The white walkers must be stopped.

Liverpool Arsenal would be a fitting Supercup. (*&&*&^ vs Chelsea would be a travesty and disgrace.

Post #498868  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11729695/bin-zayed-group-agree-terms-to-buy-newcastle-from-mike-ashley

Looks like the Newcastle story is for real, oh great more oil money in the pantomime of the premier league, no doubt they are soon to be sponsored by some mysterious middle eastern business at a rate 20x the market value, yet as usual UEFA, the FA etc. will just ignore it.

If it goes through then presumably in a couple of seasons they will be top four and probably title challengers within five years.

It will be even more difficult for us to make top four.

I doubt they will be the last PL outfit to be bought by Middle East consortiums either.

To be honest, I look around at some of the big clubs outside of the PL (with massive fan bases) and think they would be ideal for some wealthy Arabs to pick up cheaply and bankroll into the topflight. Leeds for example. The Sheffield clubs.

Post #498869  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:10 am 

Liverpool are the lesser of two evils. Plus they have won it numerous time before so it would not catapult them onto a new global level as it would the Spuds.

Post #498870  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:14 am 

I can't really call tomorrows game. Two flawed sides with soft underbellies but who have proven matchwinners.

If Hazard decides to turn it on he can be unplayable, whilst Aubameyang and Lacazette have been in blistering form of late.

It could be decided by which team is less crap. :laughing7:

Post #498871  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:31 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

That's pretty much it. I recall at the time, I kept saying on here, Kroenke will be a disaster. I knew what kind of owner he was in America. There are some owners who buy a team to win things. The NFL is a very, very exclusive group. America has a lot of billionaires but only 30 get to own a team so its sort of the most exclusive billionaires club in America it has been said. Forbes has 400 on its famous list. The NFL, America's biggest league and sport, has only 30. NBA and MLB (baseball) has 30 but its not seen as exclusive as American football for cultural reasons, the NFL is seen as the higher profile.

Anyway, Kroenke bought his team simply for investment. Because of its exclusivity, the value of teams often go up far more than most other large investments like stocks, hedge funds, commercial properties/high rises. I recall the arguments by some on here at the time like 'look at this team he has' or 'this team' and 'that team' he has as some harbinger of the future, without knowing what kind of owner he is seen as. Usmanov also had his negatives but at least he knew the sport and he would have spent. I'm not saying Usmanov is a savior but would he really have been worse than Kroenke? We'd have to hold our noses for him.

Kroenke's main project are the Rams. There is no doubt about it. It's where his energy....an alas his money is going. They got into the Super Bowl last year. Their best season for years. He turned around a team that couldn't win more than half their games into a final contender in a few short years. So, the notion he doesn't know how to build a winner is BS. He just lacks the desire with us. I've said this before, the reason he was granted the Los Angeles franchise to host a team was because it is the 2nd biggest media market in America, and the NFL wanted a winner there because a winner would reap big money in advertising, shirt sales, etc. The NFL shares merchandising revenue with all clubs, so the other owners wanted a winner there as well. Different than the EPL obviously where you keep your own merchandising revenue.

The only possible upside for the future is if Josh gives a damn about winning. We are stuck with the Kroenke's for decades, unless they decide to sell and right now I can't see where that is going to happen unless the family's fortune falls on hard times.

Basically we are f*cked.

PS:
..and I still blame Dein. He left the board with 2 bad choices. He brought the only 2 choices to the club. All for is own ego of running the club the way he wants it.

At present he may well see Arsenal as more or less doing OK chugging over.

However, if we beat Chelsea (touch wood) and have the prospect of a Champions league run, don't you think that Kroenke might think that having a genuine tilt at the competition might be a good investment? After all, Emery has an excellent record in knockout competitions.

I can understand why a rational investor/owner might actually be on the fence on this one. Arsenal as a perfectly good cash cow returning a decent percentage coming 4th or 6th in the league, winning the odd cup, and occasionally getting into the ECL, vs. Arsenal with stratospheric potential but a big downside.

Post #498872  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:24 am 

socrates wrote:
I can't really call tomorrows game. Two flawed sides with soft underbellies but who have proven matchwinners.

If Hazard decides to turn it on he can be unplayable, whilst Aubameyang and Lacazette have been in blistering form of late.

It could be decided by which team is less crap. :laughing7:

Lucky we have a really solid defensive line who will not crumple under intense pressure from Hazard. Game set and match to us.

Post #498873  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:24 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Basically we are f*cked.

PS:

You keep saying that but surely the primary blame has to rest with Fiszman. It was him that took the decision, on his deathbed, to make Kroenke the majority shareholder, thus giving him control of the club.

To me your blame of Dein sounds conceptually similar to not blaming Mustafi for Palace's second goal at the Emirates, but laying the prime blame on whichever Arsenal player gave the ball away to Palace up the other end of the pitch.

Post #498874  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:36 am 

I have seen a report that SBS will show our final live starting 4.15am - for those in Oz

Post #498875  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Basically we are f*cked.

PS:

You keep saying that but surely the primary blame has to rest with Fiszman. It was him that took the decision, on his deathbed, to make Kroenke the majority shareholder, thus giving him control of the club.

To me your blame of Dein sounds conceptually similar to not blaming Mustafi for Palace's second goal at the Emirates, but laying the prime blame on whichever Arsenal player gave the ball away to Palace up the other end of the pitch.

Hey Bernard - are you in Baku yet or what are your travel plans? Any accomodation?

Post #498876  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I have seen a report that SBS will show our final live starting 4.15am - for those in Oz

I think I read that BT sport will be showing both European finals on their YouTube channel for free.....not sure of this is true

Post #498877  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hey Bernard - are you in Baku yet or what are your travel plans? Any accomodation?

I'm still in the UK. I've booked a cab for 3.30 am tomorrow morning to take me to Stansted Airport. Should get me there around 4.15 am to 4.30 am.

I looked at the first train of the day to Stansted Airport but that only gets to Stansted Airport station at 5.39 am, just 21 minutes before the check-in desk closes (it's open from 3.00 am to 6.00 am, as the plane departs at 7.00 am).

Even if the train leaves and gets there on time, I have to find and get from the station to the check-in desk. Just too tight. Also, the way trains run late or even get cancelled, I just didn't see going by train as a realistic option.

No accomodation as the Thomas Cook charter flights arranged with the club gets to the airport in Baku 1.00 pm English time (4.00 pm local time). The return flight leaves Thursday at 7.00 am local time and 4.00 am English time.

The match kicks off 11.00 pm local time (8.00 pm English time). The coaches taking you from the stadium to the airport leave shortly after the game, so booking a hotel room somewhere wasn't really on.

I'm taking my phone fully charged but turned off as using it expires the battery. Hence I have no intention of using it unless there's some sort of emergency, which hopefully there won't be. So no posts from me until I'm back.

Post #498878  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm still in the UK. I've booked a cab for 3.30 am tomorrow morning...

Wow. Amazing effort, Bernard. Us Aussies have to get up at 4am or so for the match, but at least we'll be watching from home, from the comfort of electric blankets and silken sheets, with cocoa at hand and a soothing slice of Vegemite on toast to see us through the pre-dawn, so you've totally put us to shame...

Post #498879  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I'm still in the UK. I've booked a cab for 3.30 am tomorrow morning to take me to Stansted Airport. Should get me there around 4.15 am to 4.30 am.

I looked at the first train of the day to Stansted Airport but that only gets to Stansted Airport station at 5.39 am, just 21 minutes before the check-in desk closes (it's open from 3.00 am to 6.00 am, as the plane departs at 7.00 am).

Even if the train leaves and gets there on time, I have to find and get from the station to the check-in desk. Just too tight. Also, the way trains run late or even get cancelled, I just didn't see going by train as a realistic option.

No accomodation as the Thomas Cook charter flights arranged with the club gets to the airport in Baku 1.00 pm English time (4.00 pm local time). The return flight leaves Thursday at 7.00 am local time and 4.00 am English time.

The match kicks off 11.00 pm local time (8.00 pm English time). The coaches taking you from the stadium to the airport leave shortly after the game, so booking a hotel room somewhere wasn't really on.

I'm taking my phone fully charged but turned off as using it expires the battery and I'm not taking the charger. Hence I have no intention of using it unless there's some sort of emergency, which hopefully there won't be. So no posts from me until I'm back.

Good Luck and God Speed, Bernard and all other Arsenal Supporters making the trip.

Post #498880  Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/match/2 ... vs-arsenal

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473, 12474, 12475 ... 14269  Next