Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lincoln gooner and 100 guests

Post #498801  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Also, let’s hope that it doesn’t go to a penalty shoot out.

Has Leno ever saved a penalty for us? I can't remember one, and he's faced a few. To be honest I think Čech and Leno make the same basic error when facing penalties. They both dive too early, making it easy for the penalty taker to adjust and put it the other side to the one they've dived to.

I think we haven’t had a decent penalty keeper since. Seaman and your absolutely right it’s all about having the guts to stay on your feet as long as possible

I think it’s not that Čech or Leno are great penalty stoppers just that a 25 year old keeper will have better reactions than a 36 year old.

I think an amicable solution needs to be reached and Leno should play but wearing Cechs special helmet as a tribute

Post #498802  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Who would you back from Arsenal if it went to pens?
Aubameyang and Lacazette would be 1 and 2.
Don’t think I’d trust Özil.
Xhaka would have to take one - I’d be nervous
If AMN takes as calm a pen as he is generally on the pitch he’d be ok.
Kolasinac prefers to pass than shoot - nope
Don’t fancy any of the defence.
Torreira takes free kicks so should take one.

Not sure we would have too many I’d count on

Mhikitaryan is taking a pen definitely if he was out there. Probably Monreal too

Post #498803  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Also, let’s hope that it doesn’t go to a penalty shoot out.

Has Leno ever saved a penalty for us? I can't remember one, and he's faced a few. To be honest I think Čech and Leno make the same basic error when facing penalties. They both dive too early, making it easy for the penalty taker to adjust and put it the other side to the one they've dived to.

You’re quite right as I’ve just discovered. I had been making an incorrect assumption (probably based on thinking that he must be better than Čech).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bernd-l ... eler/72476

Post #498804  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I simply don't like yellow as a colour so in my view that away shirt, like all yellow shirts, is ghastly. When people go on about yellow shirts being Arsenal's heritage, our record in cup finals wearing yellow is dreadful. I researched our record in cup finals for an article I did in The Gooner a while back and we've lost many more than we've won in yellow. That's part of the club's heritage I can do without.

The blue third kit looks okay in my opinion. Not my favourite shade of blue, but at least it isn't yellow.

Hang on we’ve worn yellow in many successful games. 71 final, 79, 89, bernabeau

The blue shirt looks horrendous but I think it might be fake

Bernabeau wasn't a final and nor was Anfield in 1989. From memory, I think we've won three cup finals in yellow, but lost quite a few more. I will have kept The Gooner that my article was in, but currently don't have the time to dig it out. If you're using the heritage argument with yellow shirts, then losing cup finals has more to do with it. I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.

Post #498805  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:16 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You’re quite right as I’ve just discovered. I had been making an incorrect assumption (probably based on thinking that he must be better than Čech).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bernd-l ... eler/72476

Basically, whoever is in goal, we probably need to win in the 90 minutes, or 120 if it goes to extra time.

Post #498806  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Hang on we’ve worn yellow in many successful games. 71 final, 79, 89, bernabeau

The blue shirt looks horrendous but I think it might be fake

Bernabeau wasn't a final and nor was Anfield in 1989. From memory, I think we've won three cup finals in yellow, but lost quite a few more. I will have kept The Gooner that my article was in, but currently don't have the time to dig it out. If you're using the heritage argument with yellow shirts, then losing cup finals has more to do with it. I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.

I won’t argue about what the best colour is :laughing7: that would be a new low for the forum :laughing7:

However I do think historically despite losing finals the connection with arsenal and yellow is far stronger than any other away colour. My son wore a ghastly recent white one to his football training yesterday

At least we are playing in red next week.

Post #498807  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I won’t argue about what the best colour is :laughing7: that would be a new low for the forum :laughing7:

However I do think historically despite losing finals the connection with arsenal and yellow is far stronger than any other away colour. My son wore a ghastly recent white one to his football training yesterday

At least we are playing in red next week.

Red shirts and white sleeves is by far the strongest connection to Arsenal, way more than yellow.

Post #498808  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Dortmund have once again moved quickly to replace an outgoing player, Pulisic sold for £58m, with two exciting players at decent value, Brandt and Thorgan Hazard. Both signed for less than the fee received for Pulisic.

They have a good system in place - with or without Klopp, Tuchel, Mislintat... they are not doing too badly but I guess still need that extra special someone like Klopp brings to dislodge BM.

Post #498809  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think we haven’t had a decent penalty keeper since. Seaman and your absolutely right it’s all about having the guts to stay on your feet as long as possible

Lehmann was quite good at saving penalties.

Post #498810  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:44 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Zed wrote:
Third kit is to be blue. May or may not be this one.

That is utterly disgusting :8angers:

Then there's this blue. The blue-yellow shirt is a training one. This blue with red sleeves might be a 3rd kit.

Attachments:

Post #498811  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm 

I'll never, ever forgive turncoat van Persie.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48337570

Post #498812  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 pm 

Zed wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
That is utterly disgusting :8angers:

Then there's this blue. The blue-yellow shirt is a training one. This blue with red sleeves might be a 3rd kit.

While that blue and yellow is pretty crap, the blue and red is a cracking shirt. Our 3rd kits have been apalling for years. That's a beauty.

Post #498813  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:57 pm 

Certainly lost some painful cup finals in the red. Birmingham was embarrassing, Liverpool in the Owen final was daylight robbery.
We beat Villa in the cup final in the yellow. And obviously not cup finals but as good as Anfield 89, OT 98 overmars, OT 02 Wiltord.

It’s the right move to have a yellow away, that just feels like arsenal to be. Don’t really mind what they do with he third kit, something fun that sells well to younger fans usually works. The Nigeria World Cup kit was pretty psychedelic but had fans queued around the block trying to buy it. I think a proper rehash of bruised banana would have the same affect for Arsenal fans

Post #498814  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
... I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.
Yes, it really spoiled watching Pele, Garrincha, Gerson, Tostao, Jair, Rivelinho, Socrates, Zico, Romario, Bebeto and Ronaldo...

Post #498815  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:45 pm 

Still have time to make this happen. Maybe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport. ... aryan/amp/

Post #498816  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
Certainly lost some painful cup finals in the red. Birmingham was embarrassing, Liverpool in the Owen final was daylight robbery.
We beat Villa in the cup final in the yellow. And obviously not cup finals but as good as Anfield 89, OT 98 overmars, OT 02 Wiltord.

It’s the right move to have a yellow away, that just feels like arsenal to be. Don’t really mind what they do with he third kit, something fun that sells well to younger fans usually works. The Nigeria World Cup kit was pretty psychedelic but had fans queued around the block trying to buy it. I think a proper rehash of bruised banana would have the same affect for Arsenal fans

The Adidas 1990-92 home shirt was very nice. Adidas should also look at rehashing the 1989 away shirt. The supposed third kit looks nice. Then there will be the pre-match and training shirts. Probably 5-7 shirts every season nowadays...

Post #498817  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:44 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
... I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.
Yes, it really spoiled watching Pele, Garrincha, Gerson, Tostao, Jair, Rivelinho, Socrates, Zico, Romario, Bebeto and Ronaldo...

Great players but their national team has a vile shirt.

Post #498818  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 pm 

Zed wrote:
Still have time to make this happen. Maybe.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport. ... aryan/amp/

Zero chance, sadly.

Post #498819  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 am 

Completely off topic and random post but I heard this song earlier and it reminds me of Sunday drives with my father and him having the radio on to the '70s classic station and this song always seem to come on at some point those afternoons. One of, if not the, greatest sax riffs ever. Had no idea till I looked it up he is scottish and the song is for a street in London. Is it the same Baker Street of Sherlock Holmes fame?

Post #498820  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:59 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Completely off topic and random post but I heard this song earlier and it reminds me of Sunday drives with my father and him having the radio on to the '70s classic station and this song always seem to come on at some point those afternoons. One of, if not the, greatest sax riffs ever. Had no idea till I looked it up he is scottish and the song is for a street in London. Is it the same Baker Street of Sherlock Holmes fame?

Yes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_(song)

Post #498821  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:36 am 

Arseblog gave a link to the second part of the Arsenal interview with Managing Director Vinai Venkatesham and Head of Football Raul Sanllehi.

He likened Sanllehi to a husky voiced Austin Powers and I just thought it was just hilarious.

It's actually a very good interview. Have a look and see what you think.

Groovy baby.

https://arseblog.com/2019/05/sanllehi-p ... e-actions/

Post #498822  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:52 am 

Wenger hints at not managing again. My guess and its only a guess, Wenger wanted to manage with similar parameters he had with us and he was not given assurances of that. I think he is not suited for the modern club football team. Football at the club level has changed a lot since he arrived on the scene. I think what may be his space is national football and even so it may not be at a top FIFA country. I'd be curious to see how he manages in that realm.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wenger-hin ... 52731.html

Post #498823  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:19 am 

And this : https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/i-want- ... gbr509ioi1

"I want to share what I've learned' - Wenger eyeing return but unsure about future role"

Post #498824  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 am 

warrior wrote:

"I want to share what I've learned' - Wenger eyeing return but unsure about future role"

As long as it is nowhere’s near our club and the clusterf. he left behind.

Post #498825  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
warrior wrote:

Well said Gaz. Fully agree.

Post #498826  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:39 am 

Arse should Boycott Baku?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/may/23/arsenal-henrikh-mkhitaryan-azerbaijan-baku-europa-league-final

Post #498827  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:55 am 

DHD wrote:

Bit late for that, surely? Estimates I've seen for Arsenal fans going range from 3k to 4.8k. Whatever the true figure is, thousands of us have spent upwards of a grand on tickets, a visa, and travel. I would be majorly peed off if Arsenal now pulled out the game, and I'm sure we all would.

What should happen is an independent investigation on UEFA's decision to choose such an unsuitable venue for the final. Because I'd be amazed if Sepp Blatter type bungs hadn't come into the equation.

Post #498828  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I'll third that. £90m wasted that we could be using now. Merci Arsene.

Hope all goes well with your trip to Baku by the way Bern.

Post #498829  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Thanks.

Post #498830  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

Thanks.

Bernard - I wish you a safe & enjoyable trip. Bring that trophy home

Post #498831  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Bit late for that, surely? Estimates I've seen for Arsenal fans going range from 3k to 4.8k. Whatever the true figure is, thousands of us have spent upwards of a grand on tickets, a visa, and travel. I would be majorly peed off if Arsenal now pulled out the game, and I'm sure we all would.

What should happen is an independent investigation on UEFA's decision to choose such an unsuitable venue for the final. Because I'd be amazed if Sepp Blatter type bungs hadn't come into the equation.

Won't happen either way in support of Mkhitaryan, let alone late switch of venue to Wembley. Traveling fans to Baku won't be reimbursed for their troubles either. All in all, not worth incurring sanctions, bans from comps, fines.
Enjoy your trip to Baku Bern.

Last edited by warrior on Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed Quote

Post #498832  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:12 pm 

Zed wrote:

Thanks, and to everyone who has (or will) send similar posts.

Post #498833  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Thanks, and to everyone who has (or will) send similar posts.

Hope it's a memorable trip Bernard :58big-emoticons:

Post #498834  Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:25 am 

Callum chambers voted Fulham’s player of the season

Post #498835  Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Callum chambers voted Fulham’s player of the season

Aqarently it's for his performances in midfield

Post #498836  Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 pm 

Some rumours tonight that leeds are going to be bought by PSG’s owners. Even richer that Man City’s owners. Bonkers.

Post #498837  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:05 am 

But I have always thought he was another player who is too slow. His turn is able to be easily shut down plus he can’t move box to box fast enough. We already have a number of those players. He played 31 games for Fulham for 2 goals and not one assist. He is now 24 and cost us a lot of money plus I expect he earns silly money for someone who can’t play in his proper position. The only reason to keep him is for the number of British players we need on our books.

Post #498838  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:29 am 

Darren wrote:
Some rumours tonight that leeds are going to be bought by PSG’s owners. Even richer that Man City’s owners. Bonkers.

Meanwhile we're stuck with the wiggy b*stard who wont invest a penny and doesn't really care.. just shows there is no reward for 'behaving properly'. If it happens they'll be in the PL soon and probably breathing down our necks.

Football really is a joke these days - we've got two teams who between them haven't won a title in about 85 years contesting a 'champions league' final, and middle eastern states using football to white-wash their image.

What a load of b*llocks, glad I stopped wasting my time going to games etc. as it is just a f*cking pantomime these days.

Post #498839  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:32 pm 

Happy St Michael’s Day, chums.

Post #498840  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:16 pm 

Darren wrote:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... stments/?u

LEEDS SAINT-GERMAIN? Leeds deny they are in talks with PSG owners Qatari Sports Investments following reports

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12468, 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473, 12474 ... 14269  Next