Fixtures Tuesday July 7th - Leicester - Emirates Stadium - 8:15 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gunfire, old man of hoy and 1 guest

 
Post #498801  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11924

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Also, let’s hope that it doesn’t go to a penalty shoot out.

Has Leno ever saved a penalty for us? I can't remember one, and he's faced a few. To be honest I think Čech and Leno make the same basic error when facing penalties. They both dive too early, making it easy for the penalty taker to adjust and put it the other side to the one they've dived to.


I think we haven’t had a decent penalty keeper since. Seaman and your absolutely right it’s all about having the guts to stay on your feet as long as possible

I think it’s not that Čech or Leno are great penalty stoppers just that a 25 year old keeper will have better reactions than a 36 year old.

I think an amicable solution needs to be reached and Leno should play but wearing Cechs special helmet as a tribute


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498802  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11924

Rich wrote:
Who would you back from Arsenal if it went to pens?
Aubameyang and Lacazette would be 1 and 2.
Don’t think I’d trust Özil.
Xhaka would have to take one - I’d be nervous
If AMN takes as calm a pen as he is generally on the pitch he’d be ok.
Kolasinac prefers to pass than shoot - nope
Don’t fancy any of the defence.
Torreira takes free kicks so should take one.

Not sure we would have too many I’d count on

Mhikitaryan is taking a pen definitely if he was out there. Probably Monreal too


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498803  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 22136

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Also, let’s hope that it doesn’t go to a penalty shoot out.

Has Leno ever saved a penalty for us? I can't remember one, and he's faced a few. To be honest I think Čech and Leno make the same basic error when facing penalties. They both dive too early, making it easy for the penalty taker to adjust and put it the other side to the one they've dived to.

You’re quite right as I’ve just discovered. I had been making an incorrect assumption (probably based on thinking that he must be better than Čech).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bernd-l ... eler/72476

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498804  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I simply don't like yellow as a colour so in my view that away shirt, like all yellow shirts, is ghastly. When people go on about yellow shirts being Arsenal's heritage, our record in cup finals wearing yellow is dreadful. I researched our record in cup finals for an article I did in The Gooner a while back and we've lost many more than we've won in yellow. That's part of the club's heritage I can do without.

The blue third kit looks okay in my opinion. Not my favourite shade of blue, but at least it isn't yellow.

Hang on we’ve worn yellow in many successful games. 71 final, 79, 89, bernabeau

The blue shirt looks horrendous but I think it might be fake

Bernabeau wasn't a final and nor was Anfield in 1989. From memory, I think we've won three cup finals in yellow, but lost quite a few more. I will have kept The Gooner that my article was in, but currently don't have the time to dig it out. If you're using the heritage argument with yellow shirts, then losing cup finals has more to do with it. I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498805  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Has Leno ever saved a penalty for us? I can't remember one, and he's faced a few. To be honest I think Čech and Leno make the same basic error when facing penalties. They both dive too early, making it easy for the penalty taker to adjust and put it the other side to the one they've dived to.

You’re quite right as I’ve just discovered. I had been making an incorrect assumption (probably based on thinking that he must be better than Čech).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bernd-l ... eler/72476

Basically, whoever is in goal, we probably need to win in the 90 minutes, or 120 if it goes to extra time.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498806  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11924

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Hang on we’ve worn yellow in many successful games. 71 final, 79, 89, bernabeau

The blue shirt looks horrendous but I think it might be fake

Bernabeau wasn't a final and nor was Anfield in 1989. From memory, I think we've won three cup finals in yellow, but lost quite a few more. I will have kept The Gooner that my article was in, but currently don't have the time to dig it out. If you're using the heritage argument with yellow shirts, then losing cup finals has more to do with it. I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.

I won’t argue about what the best colour is :laughing7: that would be a new low for the forum :laughing7:

However I do think historically despite losing finals the connection with arsenal and yellow is far stronger than any other away colour. My son wore a ghastly recent white one to his football training yesterday

At least we are playing in red next week.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498807  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

TOP GUN wrote:
I won’t argue about what the best colour is :laughing7: that would be a new low for the forum :laughing7:

However I do think historically despite losing finals the connection with arsenal and yellow is far stronger than any other away colour. My son wore a ghastly recent white one to his football training yesterday

At least we are playing in red next week.

Red shirts and white sleeves is by far the strongest connection to Arsenal, way more than yellow.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498808  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

Rich wrote:
Dortmund have once again moved quickly to replace an outgoing player, Pulisic sold for £58m, with two exciting players at decent value, Brandt and Thorgan Hazard. Both signed for less than the fee received for Pulisic.


They have a good system in place - with or without Klopp, Tuchel, Mislintat... they are not doing too badly but I guess still need that extra special someone like Klopp brings to dislodge BM.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498809  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

TOP GUN wrote:
I think we haven’t had a decent penalty keeper since. Seaman and your absolutely right it’s all about having the guts to stay on your feet as long as possible


Lehmann was quite good at saving penalties.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498810  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2261

Terry Henry wrote:
Zed wrote:
Third kit is to be blue. May or may not be this one.

That is utterly disgusting :8angers:

Then there's this blue. The blue-yellow shirt is a training one. This blue with red sleeves might be a 3rd kit.


Attachments:



_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante
 Profile  
 
 
Post #498811  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29216

I'll never, ever forgive turncoat van Persie.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48337570

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498812  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7371

Zed wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
That is utterly disgusting :8angers:

Then there's this blue. The blue-yellow shirt is a training one. This blue with red sleeves might be a 3rd kit.

While that blue and yellow is pretty crap, the blue and red is a cracking shirt. Our 3rd kits have been apalling for years. That's a beauty.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498813  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15927

Certainly lost some painful cup finals in the red. Birmingham was embarrassing, Liverpool in the Owen final was daylight robbery.
We beat Villa in the cup final in the yellow. And obviously not cup finals but as good as Anfield 89, OT 98 overmars, OT 02 Wiltord.

It’s the right move to have a yellow away, that just feels like arsenal to be. Don’t really mind what they do with he third kit, something fun that sells well to younger fans usually works. The Nigeria World Cup kit was pretty psychedelic but had fans queued around the block trying to buy it. I think a proper rehash of bruised banana would have the same affect for Arsenal fans


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498814  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:56 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 17965

Bernard wrote:
... I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.
Yes, it really spoiled watching Pele, Garrincha, Gerson, Tostao, Jair, Rivelinho, Socrates, Zico, Romario, Bebeto and Ronaldo...

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498815  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2261

Still have time to make this happen. Maybe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport. ... aryan/amp/

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498816  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

Rich wrote:
Certainly lost some painful cup finals in the red. Birmingham was embarrassing, Liverpool in the Owen final was daylight robbery.
We beat Villa in the cup final in the yellow. And obviously not cup finals but as good as Anfield 89, OT 98 overmars, OT 02 Wiltord.

It’s the right move to have a yellow away, that just feels like arsenal to be. Don’t really mind what they do with he third kit, something fun that sells well to younger fans usually works. The Nigeria World Cup kit was pretty psychedelic but had fans queued around the block trying to buy it. I think a proper rehash of bruised banana would have the same affect for Arsenal fans


The Adidas 1990-92 home shirt was very nice. Adidas should also look at rehashing the 1989 away shirt. The supposed third kit looks nice. Then there will be the pre-match and training shirts. Probably 5-7 shirts every season nowadays...


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498817  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
... I'm sorry, I just don't like yellow as a colour. Cheap, nasty and lacking style.
Yes, it really spoiled watching Pele, Garrincha, Gerson, Tostao, Jair, Rivelinho, Socrates, Zico, Romario, Bebeto and Ronaldo...

Great players but their national team has a vile shirt.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498818  Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

Zed wrote:
Still have time to make this happen. Maybe.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport. ... aryan/amp/

Zero chance, sadly.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498819  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29216

Completely off topic and random post but I heard this song earlier and it reminds me of Sunday drives with my father and him having the radio on to the '70s classic station and this song always seem to come on at some point those afternoons. One of, if not the, greatest sax riffs ever. Had no idea till I looked it up he is scottish and the song is for a street in London. Is it the same Baker Street of Sherlock Holmes fame?


_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498820  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 22136

AmericanGooner wrote:
Completely off topic and random post but I heard this song earlier and it reminds me of Sunday drives with my father and him having the radio on to the '70s classic station and this song always seem to come on at some point those afternoons. One of, if not the, greatest sax riffs ever. Had no idea till I looked it up he is scottish and the song is for a street in London. Is it the same Baker Street of Sherlock Holmes fame?


Yes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_(song)

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498821  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18499

Arseblog gave a link to the second part of the Arsenal interview with Managing Director Vinai Venkatesham and Head of Football Raul Sanllehi.

He likened Sanllehi to a husky voiced Austin Powers and I just thought it was just hilarious.

It's actually a very good interview. Have a look and see what you think.

Groovy baby.


https://arseblog.com/2019/05/sanllehi-p ... e-actions/


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498822  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29216

Wenger hints at not managing again. My guess and its only a guess, Wenger wanted to manage with similar parameters he had with us and he was not given assurances of that. I think he is not suited for the modern club football team. Football at the club level has changed a lot since he arrived on the scene. I think what may be his space is national football and even so it may not be at a top FIFA country. I'd be curious to see how he manages in that realm.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wenger-hin ... 52731.html

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498823  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 4973
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

And this : https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/i-want- ... gbr509ioi1

"I want to share what I've learned' - Wenger eyeing return but unsure about future role"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498824  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Townsville Australia

warrior wrote:
And this : https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/i-want- ... gbr509ioi1

"I want to share what I've learned' - Wenger eyeing return but unsure about future role"

As long as it is nowhere’s near our club and the clusterf. he left behind.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498825  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

Gaz from Oz wrote:
warrior wrote:
And this : https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/i-want- ... gbr509ioi1

"I want to share what I've learned' - Wenger eyeing return but unsure about future role"

As long as it is nowhere’s near our club and the clusterf. he left behind.

Well said Gaz. Fully agree.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498826  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6862

Arse should Boycott Baku?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/may/23/arsenal-henrikh-mkhitaryan-azerbaijan-baku-europa-league-final


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498827  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

DHD wrote:

Bit late for that, surely? Estimates I've seen for Arsenal fans going range from 3k to 4.8k. Whatever the true figure is, thousands of us have spent upwards of a grand on tickets, a visa, and travel. I would be majorly peed off if Arsenal now pulled out the game, and I'm sure we all would.

What should happen is an independent investigation on UEFA's decision to choose such an unsuitable venue for the final. Because I'd be amazed if Sepp Blatter type bungs hadn't come into the equation.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498828  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 1307

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
As long as it is nowhere’s near our club and the clusterf. he left behind.

Well said Gaz. Fully agree.

I'll third that. £90m wasted that we could be using now. Merci Arsene.

Hope all goes well with your trip to Baku by the way Bern.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498829  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Well said Gaz. Fully agree.

I'll third that. £90m wasted that we could be using now. Merci Arsene.

Hope all goes well with your trip to Baku by the way Bern.

Thanks.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498830  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Townsville Australia

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:
I'll third that. £90m wasted that we could be using now. Merci Arsene.

Hope all goes well with your trip to Baku by the way Bern.

Thanks.

Bernard - I wish you a safe & enjoyable trip. Bring that trophy home

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498831  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2261

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Bit late for that, surely? Estimates I've seen for Arsenal fans going range from 3k to 4.8k. Whatever the true figure is, thousands of us have spent upwards of a grand on tickets, a visa, and travel. I would be majorly peed off if Arsenal now pulled out the game, and I'm sure we all would.

What should happen is an independent investigation on UEFA's decision to choose such an unsuitable venue for the final. Because I'd be amazed if Sepp Blatter type bungs hadn't come into the equation.

Won't happen either way in support of Mkhitaryan, let alone late switch of venue to Wembley. Traveling fans to Baku won't be reimbursed for their troubles either. All in all, not worth incurring sanctions, bans from comps, fines.
Enjoy your trip to Baku Bern.

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante


Last edited by warrior on Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed Quote


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498832  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

Zed wrote:
Enjoy your trip to Baku Bern.

Thanks, and to everyone who has (or will) send similar posts.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498833  Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4909
Location: SE9

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Enjoy your trip to Baku Bern.

Thanks, and to everyone who has (or will) send similar posts.

Hope it's a memorable trip Bernard :58big-emoticons:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498834  Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11924

Callum chambers voted Fulham’s player of the season


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498835  Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7955

TOP GUN wrote:
Callum chambers voted Fulham’s player of the season

Aqarently it's for his performances in midfield


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498836  Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13103

Some rumours tonight that leeds are going to be bought by PSG’s owners. Even richer that Man City’s owners. Bonkers.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498837  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Townsville Australia

But I have always thought he was another player who is too slow. His turn is able to be easily shut down plus he can’t move box to box fast enough. We already have a number of those players. He played 31 games for Fulham for 2 goals and not one assist. He is now 24 and cost us a lot of money plus I expect he earns silly money for someone who can’t play in his proper position. The only reason to keep him is for the number of British players we need on our books.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498838  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 pm
Posts: 967
Location: Salisbury

Darren wrote:
Some rumours tonight that leeds are going to be bought by PSG’s owners. Even richer that Man City’s owners. Bonkers.


Meanwhile we're stuck with the wiggy b*stard who wont invest a penny and doesn't really care.. just shows there is no reward for 'behaving properly'. If it happens they'll be in the PL soon and probably breathing down our necks.

Football really is a joke these days - we've got two teams who between them haven't won a title in about 85 years contesting a 'champions league' final, and middle eastern states using football to white-wash their image.

What a load of b*llocks, glad I stopped wasting my time going to games etc. as it is just a f*cking pantomime these days.

_________________
Wake me up when wiggy snuffs it


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498839  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6862

Happy St Michael’s Day, chums.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #498840  Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 4973
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

Darren wrote:
Some rumours tonight that leeds are going to be bought by PSG’s owners. Even richer that Man City’s owners. Bonkers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... stments/?u

LEEDS SAINT-GERMAIN? Leeds deny they are in talks with PSG owners Qatari Sports Investments following reports


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 513464 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12468, 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473, 12474 ... 12837  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gunfire, old man of hoy and 1 guest


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018