Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 95 guests

Post #498561  Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Basically if Aubameyangs pen againest spurs went in we are in the champions league.

The margins for failure and success are thin

So let me ask you this. If in the Europa Finsl it went to penalties would you allow Aubameyang to take a pen. I probably would but Aubameyang really bottled that penalty against Spurs & I have serious concerns about him when the pressure is on.

Let’s hope it is 3-0 to us by FT in the final & it never has to be resolved.

Post #498562  Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:08 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Basically if Aubameyangs pen againest spurs went in we are in the champions league.

So let me ask you this. If in the Europa Finsl it went to penalties would you allow Aubameyang to take a pen. I probably would but Aubameyang really bottled that penalty against Spurs & I have serious concerns about him when the pressure is on.

Even great players miss penalties. Liam Brady missed one for us in the penalty shoot-out of the 1980 Cup-Winners-Cup final against Valencia (as did Mario Kempes miss one for them). Bergkamp missed a late one in normal time of the 1999 FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United; had he scored it they wouldn't have won the treble. All great players that you could argue bottled it.

Of course Aubameyang should take one if the final goes to a penalty shoot-out. Apart from anything else, as he's obviously been selected as our primary penalty taker, one assumes it's felt within the club that he's the best penalty taker and presumably the one least likely to bottle it.

Post #498563  Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Shared Holden boot for Aubameyang- I’d bet in a lot less games/minutes than Salah and Mané.

And Nketiah with his first senior goal for the club. Wonder what his future will be next year? 3rd striker or a loan somewhere. Getting your first senior goal as a striker is huge.

With Welbeck gone, would love to see Nketiah become our 3rd striker. Should get plenty of minutes as a sub plus starts in cup games.

Post #498564  Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:10 pm 

https://youtu.be/aAZK5PpOZOQ

Something to cheer you up.

Post #498565  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 am 

Decaf wrote:
People buying into the whole "lying NYT, deep state conspiracy, antivax, climate hoax, I'd rather trust my gut than science, apple pie" fable ... it beats me.

You left out JFK and 9/11 ........ reading and listening to radical half wits like Noam Chomsky , Ron Paul , John Pilger , Dr Patrick Moore .... have stopped me believing in Santa Claus , and the moon is made of green cheese

.... sigh ...... those halcyon days gone forever .

Post #498566  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:14 am 

Congratulations Aubameyang

Post #498567  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:09 am 

Weakened side wins at Burnley. Instead of being happy it further condemns this squad. With nothing to play for they can win. When its on the line, they can't muster a draw.
This squad needs a motivational coach or some person who works on their mental strength.

Post #498568  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:45 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
People buying into the whole "lying NYT, deep state conspiracy, antivax, climate hoax, I'd rather trust my gut than science, apple pie" fable ... it beats me.

You left out JFK and 9/11 ........ reading and listening to radical half wits like Noam Chomsky , Ron Paul , John Pilger , Dr Patrick Moore .... have stopped me believing in Santa Claus , and the moon is made of green cheese

.... sigh ...... those halcyon days gone forever .

It's not necessary to consult 'radical half wits'. Trump's twitter feed and speeches are all that any person with the least critical ability requires. In fact, you don't even need critical ability. He simply lies and contradicts himself compulsively and openly. Trump is a complete fraud... a conman whose only strength is a complete lack of shame and empathy. People believe Trump's message because they want to and because they have willfully switched off the critical part of their brain ... or had it switched off by the Republican party, Fox News, or the utter muddle of US-style evangelical Christianity (which prepares minds to believe anything).

Post #498569  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Weakened side wins at Burnley. Instead of being happy it further condemns this squad. With nothing to play for they can win. When its on the line, they can't muster a draw.
This squad needs a motivational coach or some person who works on their mental strength.

Did you fail to notice the game on Thursday?

Yesterday wasn't a question of the team playing wonderfully because the pressure was off. Burnley had plenty of chances. We had Aubamayang.

Post #498570  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Aubameyang is our best player. He would be my first penalty taker

The more pertinent question is wether Peter Čech would save one which is far less likely than Leno.

I’m not confident at all about the final and would be shocked if we triumphed

Post #498571  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
The more pertinent question is wether Peter Čech would save one which is far less likely than Leno.

I’m not confident at all about the final and would be shocked if we triumphed

Has Leno saved one for us yet? I don't remember him doing so but maybe I've just forgotten it.

I think the final is 50/50. Very little to choose between the sides. To say it could go either way is an understatement

Post #498572  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 am 

Quick one on the final.

Firstly any supporter travelling has my upmost respect. Bar Galatasaray it will be the first European final I’ve missed with us. (Too Young for fairs cup) and European finals are a special thing. I really hope the lads serve up a performance for the people making such a commitment. Bravo

That said I think everything about the final is an absolute disgrace from the ticket allocation, Mhikitaryans absence to the actual location. If you needed to provide an example of why football has gone to the dogs I’d reference the World Cup in Qatar and this final as examples. The fact the venue hasn’t been re arranged after 2 English teams got there is an absolute disgrace with the fans Facing exorbitant travel and accommodation costs so uefa can make more money.

I attended the final in Paris and believe me it was special event even though we lost but I was more than aware of the volume of tickets not provided to fans. (There were scousers outside the ground selling tickets before the game for 2 grand each)

I really think until some form of standing is re introduced to the game football will remain to have lost its soul. It’s entirely controlled now by corporate greed and it seems unable to curtail it. Qatari owners, fifa, agents having more power than clubs.

I don’t think football will ever be the same until the game is regulated or managed in some way that preserves the integrity of the sport

Post #498573  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 am 

Brighton have sacked Chris Hughton. Very very harsh on him.

Post #498574  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 am 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

With Welbeck gone, would love to see Nketiah become our 3rd striker. Should get plenty of minutes as a sub plus starts in cup games.

Don't think he'll make it to be honest from what I have seen of him. Granted it is not a lot and he is young.

Post #498575  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:05 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Don't think he'll make it to be honest from what I have seen of him. Granted it is not a lot and he is young.

Think you could be right Gunfire.

Post #498576  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:58 am 

Welbeck back in full training. got to be worth having him at least on the bench in the final, maybe even starting on the left wing, running at the Chelsea defence?

Post #498577  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:08 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Brighton have sacked Chris Hughton. Very very harsh on him.

It surprised me to learn that Hughton has spent £140m in the past 2 seasons. Maybe that is why he’s been sacked. I’d expect more from my money than scrapping 17th and fire entertainment for £140m!

Post #498578  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Think you could be right Gunfire.

Even if Nketiah turns out not to be good enough for us, giving him minutes as a sub could his inflate transfer value (esp if he scores a few) to our advantage.

Post #498579  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:50 pm 

interesting.

Attachments:

Post #498580  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Even if Nketiah turns out not to be good enough for us, giving him minutes as a sub could his inflate transfer value (esp if he scores a few) to our advantage.

While your point may be valid, the question as to whether a youngster is good enough is surely more relevant. Mavropanos has had minutes this season and that might have increased his transfer value. But he's been so bad it may also have cost us points?

Post #498581  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

I’ve still got the bottle opener contained in a members pack from way back that plays the Thomas commentary when you use it. Still makes me smile every time.

Post #498582  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

While your point may be valid, the question as to whether a youngster is good enough is surely more relevant. Mavropanos has had minutes this season and that might have increased his transfer value. But he's been so bad it may also have cost us points?

Feels like a season on loan to ideally a prem level club is required. Much like chambers had this year. A test to see if he’s good enough but won’t cost us points. I’m not convinced by chambers and think we should sell him this summer for as much as we can get. Same for mustafi.

I think we should be buying 2 CB this summer as the top priority. We can’t rely on Koscielny going another season - he could maybe do a Kompany style role for us, 15 or so starts. But with Holding maybe out for the early part of the season I’d still be buying 2 CB. I wonder if there is a cheap ish heavy prem experienced CB out there who could come in and do a job for us and wouldn’t cost a lot. If we don’t have a huge budget then we aren’t going to be able to get top level players and sometimes a ‘sticking plaster’ type player to allow us to make incremental improvements may be the answer. That or turn to youth!

Post #498583  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I’ve still got the bottle opener contained in a members pack from way back that plays the Thomas commentary when you use it. Still makes me smile every time.

We hear so much about the aguero end of season finish but the only similarity is a 90+ minute goal to win the title.
For city’s title to even come close their last game would have had to have been at old Trafford and they would have needed to beat them 2-0, also it would have been the old city doing it before they got their millions, and the city team would have been made up of 5-6 homegrown players. Then it would have been comparable

Post #498584  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Has he? Anyway I think Nketiah would be adequate as our third striker at the moment, to get minutes like he did against Burnley. With Aubameyang and Lacazette, Emery has the luxury to play two upfront or just one. Barring injuries to both, we won't have to rely on Nketiah. It would be great to have a fit Welbeck as a third striker in the squad but he's leaving and I don't think it's necessary to recruit another striker that would probably command big transfer fee and/or wages to play a bit part role.

Post #498585  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
I think we should be buying 2 CB this summer as the top priority. We can’t rely on Koscielny going another season - he could maybe do a Kompany style role for us, 15 or so starts. But with Holding maybe out for the early part of the season I’d still be buying 2 CB. I wonder if there is a cheap ish heavy prem experienced CB out there who could come in and do a job for us and wouldn’t cost a lot. If we don’t have a huge budget then we aren’t going to be able to get top level players and sometimes a ‘sticking plaster’ type player to allow us to make incremental improvements may be the answer. That or turn to youth!

Is Monreal staying? We must start planning for his and Koscielny's eventual departure. I would be happy with more Sokratis-type signings in defence.

Post #498586  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:15 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Has he? Anyway I think Nketiah would be adequate as our third striker at the moment, to get minutes like he did against Burnley. With Aubameyang and Lacazette, Emery has the luxury to play two upfront or just one. Barring injuries to both, we won't have to rely on Nketiah. It would be great to have a fit Welbeck as a third striker in the squad but he's leaving and I don't think it's necessary to recruit another striker that would probably command big transfer fee and/or wages to play a bit part role.

I would say yes, Mavropanos has been. Although I do accept he didn't cost us points yesterday at Burnley, he was dodgy and has played in games where we did drop points. As Rich said, a loan is in order next season, like Chambers had at Fulham this season where he's conclusively shown himself to not be good enough (according to my Fulham supporting relatives).

I do agree with Rich. If Chambers plus Mustafi are sold and Mavropanos goes on loan, we're left with a fit but second tier Sokratis, a second tier and unfit Holding (I've said before that I agree with what DHD said about him, words to the effect of good but not as good as some make out), and a formerly top tier Koscielny who's injury record and age makes one unsure whether he can even be an adequate squad back up next season. So we need two central defenders, probably even if Medley breaks through.

I also think we need a new left back. Monreal is way past his best, even if he gets a new contract, while Kolasinac can't defend to save his life. As the squad stands, I'll be surprised if with Holding and Sokratis as the first choice pairing in the centre and either an elderly has-been (Monreal) or a poor defender (Kolasinac) at left back, I can see socratis' moans about our defending not just continuing but picking up.

I hope you're right about Nketiah. But I can see what Gunfire was getting at about him.

Post #498587  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:17 am 

Decaf wrote:

It's not necessary to consult 'radical half wits'. Trump's twitter feed and speeches are all that any person with the least critical ability requires. In fact, you don't even need critical ability. He simply lies and contradicts himself compulsively and openly. Trump is a complete fraud... a conman whose only strength is a complete lack of shame and empathy. People believe Trump's message because they want to and because they have willfully switched off the critical part of their brain ... or had it switched off by the Republican party, Fox News, or the utter muddle of US-style evangelical Christianity (which prepares minds to believe anything).

No arguments from me ... couldn't agree more but when has it been any different ..... ?

Don't know much about US presidents before World War 2 but since that time , they've all been sleazy underhand pr**&cks .

Post #498588  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:47 am 

But wait a minute
https://www.livesoccertv.com/news/30272 ... stigation/

If Man City were banned from CL next year i wonder if our 5th place finish might not become an unexpected jackpot. I don't know whether a ban would result in them giving us the position but you can live in hope. Still when we win the Europa we will be there in any case.

Post #498589  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 am 

Trump's neocon hawks desperately trying to manufacture a war. The attempt to manufacture one in Venezuela failed, now they are on to Iran which they have been trying for a few years now. My guess is it won't work. 18 years so far in Afghanistan. Still in Iraq to some extent, no one is interested except the old men in the government who aren't going.

It's time for America's friends like the UK and others to initiate some 'tough love'. A shame the American people at least a scary percentage caught up in identity politics, are sheep.

We did get a good laugh of Ben Shapiro getting his hat handed to him by Andrew Neil. Him calling Neil a liberal had me laughing. But it goes to show you how these fringe right are when they can't just sit in a studio and comment without being challenged in their own safe spaces.

Unfortunately we may see a second term for Trump because the Democrats don't have a clue. And are beholden to the same big money the Republicans are like Wall Street, the military industrial complex, big pharma, etc. There are only 2 things that can beat Trump. The economy crashing before the election or he is impeached. And if its the latter VP Pence is actually worse believe it or not. Trump doesn't believe his own BS. Pence is a fundamentalist religious zealot who will wage 'holy war' against Iran on Netanyahu's behalf. Unfortunately, the sane, peace loving, fair minded voices in Israel never get airtime in American media.

Scary days. :23cry:

Post #498590  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
But wait a minute

If Man City were banned from CL next year i wonder if our 5th place finish might not become an unexpected jackpot. I don't know whether a ban would result in them giving us the position but you can live in hope. Still when we win the Europa we will be there in any case.

I thought the same, although I think I read any ban would be for the 2020/2021 season. I’m sure uefa would find some way to ensure that City’s place doesn’t just drop down to the next English team

Post #498591  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 am 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

There are strong rumours over a striker-cum-winger called Martinelli signing from Brazil this summer. He’s only 18 I think and would cost £6-7m

Post #498592  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 am 

I didn’t see the Burnley match, how did Willock do? From the little I’ve seen him this season he would be ahead of Elneny for me. Surely we’ll shift on Elneny this summer, he’s been out of the matchday 18 more than in it, if we could pick up £10m or so for him that would be good to add to the pot

Post #498593  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 am 

Rich wrote:
I wonder if there is a cheap ish heavy prem experienced CB out there who could come in and do a job for us and wouldn't cost a lot

Gary Cahill will be a free agent this summer. A bit long in the tooth perhaps (34 in December) but plenty of experience.

Post #498594  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
But wait a minute

I thought the same, although I think I read any ban would be for the 2020/2021 season. I’m sure uefa would find some way to ensure that City’s place doesn’t just drop down to the next English team

Funny I thought that as well but if Man U were 5th I am sure they would make a way for it to happen.

Post #498595  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 am 

If we are signing 1 centre back that should be enough for the time being as we would have sokratis, Holding, new signing and Kosielny

That should temporarily be enough and allow us to reinforce other areas with a left back and winger priorities.

On the new contracts I’d expect Aubameyang to sign as at 29 it’s a no brainer for him but Lacazette is a year younger and more attractive to potential buyers, it might a little harder to get him to commit.

Post #498596  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am 

richie wrote:
Rich wrote:
I wonder if there is a cheap ish heavy prem experienced CB out there who could come in and do a job for us and wouldn't cost a lot

Gary Cahill will be a free agent this summer. A bit long in the tooth perhaps (34 in December) but plenty of experience.

Not sure about that one. I would have taken David Luiz as a free agent but it looks like he’ll sign a new deal.

I keep seeing rumours of Bailly from Man U. Not keen on that one, apart from his first 10 or so games he’s looked a bit shaken despite having all the raw attributes to succeed in the prem

Post #498597  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 am 

Rich wrote:
richie wrote:

Not sure about that one. I would have taken David Luiz as a free agent but it looks like he’ll sign a new deal.

I keep seeing rumours of Bailly from Man U. Not keen on that one, apart from his first 10 or so games he’s looked a bit shaken despite having all the raw attributes to succeed in the prem

We take Bailey or Cahill and we are just marking time. We need a person who is hopefully a player for the next 5-7 years. We get either of the other 2 and all we are doing is putting off constructing a defence. There are risks because if the player we buy does not work out it gets messy. But I would rather get a 25yo than someone in their 30’s where they will probably be slowing down, more injury prone and likely in pre-retirement mode. Look at Lichensteiner this year - a disaster.

Post #498598  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:14 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

No arguments from me ... couldn't agree more but when has it been any different ..... ?

Don't know much about US presidents before World War 2 but since that time , they've all been sleazy underhand pr**&cks .

Yes it has been different. No human being is perfect. It is a matter of degree. Give me a Bush senior or Clinton, who while sleazy in many ways, at least were not dribbling idiots like Bush junior, or vicious narcissists like our boy Trump.

Post #498599  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Trump's neocon hawks desperately trying to manufacture a war. The attempt to manufacture one in Venezuela failed, now they are on to Iran which they have been trying for a few years now. My guess is it won't work. 18 years so far in Afghanistan. Still in Iraq to some extent, no one is interested except the old men in the government who aren't going.

It's time for America's friends like the UK and others to initiate some 'tough love'. A shame the American people at least a scary percentage caught up in identity politics, are sheep.

If the warmongering doesn't work (which I doubt--there are too many hotspots that can be prodded), he can renew his attempts to get nominated for the Nobel peace prize.

Post #498600  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:28 am 

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/05/13 ... n-city/amp

The recommendation is for a ban on Man City in the Champions League. It would be some kick in the teeth. The cynic in me says it wouldn't happen.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12462, 12463, 12464, 12465, 12466, 12467, 12468 ... 14269  Next