Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 104 guests

Post #497801  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Oh yeah :laughing7: ..... and who pray tell me .... in the masses wants to hear / or agrees that Mustafi is a very good player ....?

People may not agree but it is softening the ground for when he is still at the club at the start of next season. Wants us to believe that there is a very good player in there who is about to be released.

By the way what home remedy did you try that almost ended your time with us? And the reaction of your missus - do you want to tell us?

but you said " what the masses want to hear " the masses don't want to hear Mustafi is a very good player ; they want to hear he has been sold to Ulan Bator F . C .

What nearly ended my tenure on this planet ....... ? could have been the introduction of sheep sheight I to my water fertiliser barrel , eating unwashed cherry tomatoes , nastertium capers ...... who knows . Wife was very supportive .

Emery strikes me as a bit of a mealy mouth ; " I'm proud of my team " when they've been smashed and offered no resistance isn't the line I'd take .
Reminiscent of Arsene's last few years ....... now I'm not saying we have to go full blown Mourihno ; tearing players to bits at the after match press conference if they've made mistakes but I'd like a little more Sam Allardyce type realism .
I'd like us to buy a big mouthy hard arse English , Irish or Scot's midfielder ....an Alan Ball , Roy Keane , Graeme Souness type to both anchor the midfielder and deliver a rocket to Iwobi , Mkhitaryan , Özil , Kolasinac , Bellerin , Xhaka when they spray overhit passes , goal attempts that land on the stadium roof etc .

Post #497802  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Some of our fans are behaving like Chelsea supporters now moaning about all and sundry and it’s evident he won’t get the time.

You keep banging on about ungrateful bed wetting fans ........ It's a forum and when a team of Arsenal's stature has lost to Everton , Palace , Wolves , Brighton , Leicester in dismal fashion and struggled against a ten man Watford outfit what is everybody supposed to do ......?
All sing " tra la la diddle de dee dee everything is rosy in the garden " and give him another few years to sort out the post Wenger mess .

My biggest beef with Unai is he hasn't canned this goddamn worthless mind numbing tippy tappy and no matter which players inherited he should be able to accomplish that .

Tippy tappy is gone, dead, kaput

What team have you been watching this year kiwi

Post #497803  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

You keep banging on about ungrateful bed wetting fans ........ It's a forum and when a team of Arsenal's stature has lost to Everton , Palace , Wolves , Brighton , Leicester in dismal fashion and struggled against a ten man Watford outfit what is everybody supposed to do ......?
All sing " tra la la diddle de dee dee everything is rosy in the garden " and give him another few years to sort out the post Wenger mess .

My biggest beef with Unai is he hasn't canned this goddamn worthless mind numbing tippy tappy and no matter which players inherited he should be able to accomplish that .

I am not sure it has. Too often we see the keeper play to our back who plays to Guendouzi who has no one to play to and then back to the backs and no one ever really making space in front and it just goes round and round 40-50 metres away from where we need to score. When things are a bit tough the players try not to put themselves in a position where they have to get the ball.

There are simply not enough players who can make a really cutting pass forward. I thought we looked better the other night when Guendouzi pushed forward a bit. He has a lot to learn but I have faith in him and he can make a telling pass. Given how much Xhaka cost and the fact he puts together a good game about 1/4 and Özil whenever, Kolansic or M-N very rarely I have to say we may need to pin our midfield future in him.

Post #497804  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
People may not agree but it is softening the ground for when he is still at the club at the start of next season. Wants us to believe that there is a very good player in there who is about to be released.

By the way what home remedy did you try that almost ended your time with us? And the reaction of your missus - do you want to tell us?

but you said " what the masses want to hear " the masses don't want to hear Mustafi is a very good player ; they want to hear he has been sold to Ulan Bator F . C .

What nearly ended my tenure on this planet ....... ? could have been the introduction of sheep sheight I to my water fertiliser barrel , eating unwashed cherry tomatoes , nastertium capers ...... who knows . Wife was very supportive .

Emery strikes me as a bit of a mealy mouth ; " I'm proud of my team " when they've been smashed and offered no resistance isn't the line I'd take .
Reminiscent of Arsene's last few years ....... now I'm not saying we have to go full blown Mourihno ; tearing players to bits at the after match press conference if they've made mistakes but I'd like a little more Sam Allardyce type realism .
I'd like us to buy a big mouthy hard arse English , Irish or Scot's midfielder ....an Alan Ball , Roy Keane , Graeme Souness type to both anchor the midfielder and deliver a rocket to Iwobi , Mkhitaryan , Özil , Kolasinac , Bellerin , Xhaka when they spray overhit passes , goal attempts that land on the stadium roof etc .

yeah poor choice of words when my blood pressure was up after another dismal performance. Do these type of players exist or has the PC brigade won and no one is allowed to criticise. By the way when we conceded the other night Lacca was shown on the tv here tapping the side of his head and telling other players to concentrate.

I was really happy with our win but jeez we gave up some really easy chances which they failed to take advantage of.

Post #497805  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:05 am 

dec wrote:
Sadly, I think Kos is finished even as a backup. I expect him to retire at the end of the season. He had a dreadful injury last year and he is quite obviously playing through the pain. Fine player but I don't think his body can cope with top level football anymore.

We've been linked with Djene Dakonam of Getafe. A Koscielny-like signing to replace Koscielny himself?

Post #497806  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:31 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I am not sure it has. Too often we see the keeper play to our back who plays to Guendouzi who has no one to play to and then back to the backs and no one ever really making space in front and it just goes round and round 40-50 metres away from where we need to score. When things are a bit tough the players try not to put themselves in a position where they have to get the ball.

It has

If we get into a promising position around the opposing box now the ball is played in for an attempt on goal. Last season and the one before we had the ludicrous situation of the ball be cut back and staggering over passing before the chance goes away because nobody wanted to take responsibility. The tippy tappy has definitely gone we are far more direct

We are missing some creative midfield talent definitely but the scenario of Monreal being too scared to cross it when our centre forward is running into the box has evaporated with Arsene

Post #497807  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:44 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

There are simply not enough players who can make a really cutting pass forward. I thought we looked better the other night when Guendouzi pushed forward a bit. He has a lot to learn but I have faith in him and he can make a telling pass. Given how much Xhaka cost and the fact he puts together a good game about 1/4 and Özil whenever, Kolansic or M-N very rarely I have to say we may need to pin our midfield future in him.

There is definitely a need for the line breaking central mid. It’s been mentioned a few times but that Cazorla type player, collect it, turn, accelerate or turn past the press and drive us forward 20 yards and make 4 or so of their players be ahead of the ball.

Post #497808  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:45 am 

Goonie wrote:
dec wrote:
Sadly, I think Kos is finished even as a backup. I expect him to retire at the end of the season. He had a dreadful injury last year and he is quite obviously playing through the pain. Fine player but I don't think his body can cope with top level football anymore.

We've been linked with Djene Dakonam of Getafe. A Koscielny-like signing to replace Koscielny himself?

He’s only 5ft 10. I’d love to see a really tall dominant CB

Post #497809  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:54 am 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Rumour has it that Turkish hard man Tot Ali Uzelez is on his way to The Emirates as a Kos replacement.

Post #497810  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:48 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Rumour has it that Turkish hard man Tot Ali Uzelez is on his way to The Emirates as a Kos replacement.

Very good Hoy. There might be some friction with our happy go lucky Greek fella though.

Post #497811  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

An alternative version of it has emerged though. All this playing triangles with the keeper. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some manager soon decides to try route one football with a big target man and zippy second forward. Then again, there are so few English managers out there, maybe not.

Post #497812  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:01 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

An alternative version of it has emerged though. All this playing triangles with the keeper..

That’s absolutely part and parcel of playing out from the back. Every team does it these days including city. All about retention of the ball.

If you have watched over the last few weeks though you’ll notice we have done less of it. Particularly againest Napoli where Leno was hitting longer passes.

The tippy tappy was the Wengery over passing in the final 3rd when nobody wanted to take responsibility to shoot, cross or play a through ball. The most absurd brand of football I’ve seen

Post #497813  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:29 am 

This is a brilliant walk down memory lane

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/eu ... tory.shtml

Post #497814  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
That’s absolutely part and parcel of playing out from the back. Every team does it these days including city. All about retention of the ball.

If you have watched over the last few weeks though you’ll notice we have done less of it. Particularly againest Napoli where Leno was hitting longer passes.

The tippy tappy was the Wengery over passing in the final 3rd when nobody wanted to take responsibility to shoot, cross or play a through ball. The most absurd brand of football I’ve seen

I'm not sure it's just the last few weeks. I think we've been getting the ball forward quicker pretty well all season. To be honest I think some are exaggerating the extent to which we indulge in tippy tappiness these days.

Under Wenger it was awful. It took multiple passes to get the ball up to the half way line from the keeper, and once it had the ball often came back to our own half. The two most boring Arsenal teams I've seen were those of Graham his last years, and those of Wenger again in his last years. Completely different styles of play, but both deadly boring.

Post #497815  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm not sure it's just the last few weeks. I think we've been getting the ball forward quicker pretty well all season. To be honest I think some are exaggerating the extent to which we indulge in tippy tappiness these days.

Under Wenger it was awful. It took multiple passes to get the ball up to the half way line from the keeper, and once it had the ball often came back to our own half. The two most boring Arsenal teams I've seen were those of Graham his last years, and those of Wenger again in his last years. Completely different styles of play, but both deadly boring.

When I said last few weeks I really just meant Lenos goal kicks rather than being more direct which you are absolutely correct on we have been doing all year.

I think we played more boring football in Wengers last 2 years than at any point under George. The contrast between Wenger and Emery’s style is significant.

Last season in a game I remember Monreal breaking forward with Aubameyang running into the box being pursued by a defender but rather than toss it into the penalty area he cut it back, the opposition got defenders back and after a bout of over passing it was back with our defenders.

Now look at our 2nd goal on Thursday, Xhaka simply tosses a speculative ball into the area and Lacazette gets a head to it. Totally direct, I’m not sure we would have done that last year.

Post #497816  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:15 pm 

Absolute penalty & probably red card & once again the ref misses a Spurs player basically hack someone down . They should be made to explain.

Post #497817  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:24 pm 

Pawson is a very poor ref. Thankfully he had no option but to give Son a straight red.

Post #497818  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:39 pm 

Spurs down to 9 men and they have actually had some awful decisions in their favour! Dier could easily also be off and there was a definite penalty not given for Bournemouth.
Spurs have Everton last game, if they draw and lose their last two we can catch them

Post #497819  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:54 pm 

If we had only won 1 of those games we lost it would be all to play for.

Post #497820  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If we had only won 1 of those games we lost it would be all to play for.

Yes. The game against Palace was a monumental cock-up.

Even now we are still in with a shout if we don't mess up against Brighton, which is a distinct possibility.

Post #497821  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:07 pm 

Spurs 9 men not looking in much trouble in terms of conceding.

Post #497822  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:11 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Bournemouth are rubbish. It's a depressing watch. All they are doing is firing crosses into the box. No invention whatsoever.

Post #497823  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:18 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Yes!!!!

In added time.

Post #497824  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:20 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Bournemouth are rubbish. It's a depressing watch. All they are doing is firing crosses into the box. No invention whatsoever.

Finally. 1-0. Bournemouth have been rubbish as you say and didn't really deserve it.

Post #497825  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:29 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #497826  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:42 pm 

Heartbreak for Spurs fans :42laughter: :53big-emoticons:

Post #497827  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
An alternative version of it has emerged though. All this playing triangles with the keeper..

Actually, I think it s a bit of a fad. It has its origins in Barcelona with Pep bringing it to City and Klopp also adopting it. Ajax do it too. I think it's completely unnecessary and *%^@ to watch. Real Madrid and Juve don't go in for it at all and they've not done too badly in the last few seasons.

As it happens, Arsenal were dojng more of it at the start of the season. As for our attacking play it is more direct than the last few years of Wenger. It's not exactly dynamic or exciting though. Ball down the line for Kolasinac to hit it first time and heaven knows if it will find an attacker.

Post #497828  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:42 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Yes, I take full credit for the Bournemouth winner :icon_mrgreen:

Post #497829  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:16 pm 

Spurs have lost their last 6 away from home in the league. Not that the media would actually report and criticise it.

Once again, spurs lose their sh*t and start kicking lumps out of an opponent when things don’t go their way.

Post #497830  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 pm 

If you get the chance to see the penalty not given for Bournemouth today for the foul by Dier on Wilson then make sure you do. It’s got to be he worst decision this season - and there is some healthy competition

Post #497831  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:37 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Heartbreak for Spurs fans :42laughter: :53big-emoticons:
Wouldn't it be funny if they contrived to drop out of the top four ...

Post #497832  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
If you get the chance to see the penalty not given for Bournemouth today for the foul by Dier on Wilson then make sure you do. It’s got to be he worst decision this season - and there is some healthy competition

Yep. Dier got it all wrong and just whacked him. Terrible miss by the officials. The Totts have lost 13 league matches this season. How bad are Chelsea, Man U and ourselves?

Post #497833  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 pm 

History may repeat itself (Keegan) if this scoreline stays (:28th minute) and the Toon army may end Liverpool's title hopes.

Post #497834  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:13 pm 

haha...that didn't last long.

Post #497835  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:41 pm 

So Alexander-Arnold handballs on the line and Newcastle scores the rebound to make it 1-1. Obviously the ref waited the couple of seconds and realised there was an advantage as Newcastle scores anyway.

However, considering Alexander-Arnold would have had to have been sent off and the penalty would have been given - you have to ask which is the bigger advantage?

20 mins in to a game and you’re 1-0 down. Do you take an equaliser and play the remaining 70 mins 11v11, or take the red card and pen, no guarantee you score the pen but you are guaranteed to play v 10 men for the remaining 70 mins.

I wonder if the situation could arise after the event where the ref asks the captain of the team who scored which decision he wants?

Post #497836  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
So Alexander-Arnold handballs on the line and Newcastle scores the rebound to make it 1-1. Obviously the ref waited the couple of seconds and realised there was an advantage as Newcastle scores anyway.

However, considering Alexander-Arnold would have had to have been sent off and the penalty would have been given - you have to ask which is the bigger advantage?

20 mins in to a game and you’re 1-0 down. Do you take an equaliser and play the remaining 70 mins 11v11, or take the red card and pen, no guarantee you score the pen but you are guaranteed to play v 10 men for the remaining 70 mins.

I wonder if the situation could arise after the event where the ref asks the captain of the team who scored which decision he wants?

Guarantee if it was Arsenal it would be a red card and penalty... but I think a goal is the more 'football friendly' decision, surely there should be some guidance in this situation anyway??, it's not that unusual.

Post #497837  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:59 pm 

Rich wrote:

You can't ask a team which option they would prefer. The ref makes the call. He chose to let the goal stand, in which case he should have booked Trent Alexander Arnold. They changed the rule on this. Previously, the ref couldn't play advantage after a red card offence, I think. It's a tough one. If it's the last minute, you take the goal. If it's early in the game, I'd prefer the red card and peno. It needs looking at though, because if Arnold is sent off he gets a suspension so it is more than just the match itself that is impacted.

Post #497838  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm 

Would everyone be happy if we spent £60m on Fraser and Zaha for two new wingers this summer?

Post #497839  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:17 pm 

Salah coming off on a stretcher. That's a shame for a tremendous player.

Post #497840  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Would everyone be happy if we spent £60m on Fraser and Zaha for two new wingers this summer?

I think they'd cost more than that. But Zaha I would like, Fraser is decent but is he really the top quality we need?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12443, 12444, 12445, 12446, 12447, 12448, 12449 ... 14269  Next