Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], mcquilkie, warrior and 25 guests

Post #497561  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
Could it be that the the summer transfer window will be just as important in determining that Emery was the right man as much as his results and tactics? By that I don’t mean necessarily which players he signs because there are still factors out of his control - it’s more which players he dumps. What will he do with mustafi, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Iwobi. And also look at the make up of the players bought in in terms of their character.

Right now I just want to see a change in attitude. I’m fed up of being out fought by less talented teams who just work harder than us. It isn’t as simple as bringing in a few players with good attitudes, it is the whole ethos of the club, the club needs to be shaken out of the over tolerant and lack of responsibility status that went through every aspect of the club for the past 6-8 years. Emery can’t do that over night but if he and the others in charge can get rid of everything still reeking of the old regime and being in leaders ready to excel with the new set of player standards slowly but surely we can turn the club around. All that needs to happen before we can even begin to think about having a team capable of title challenges

The summer needs to be one of ruthless surgical excision. I am not sure we have the people with the bottle or the capability to undertake what is needed.

Post #497562  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
Frustrating and ironic that the 3 players we lost to season long injuries are 3 of the few players in the squad with great attitudes and who relate well to the fans

Quite agree.

Post #497563  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:
Emery will only be here short term I think. He’s a transitional manager for us imo.

I know his pidgin english does not help and things are lost in translation but I see his interviews and have no idea of the message he is trying to get across. It sounds like a load of gibberish and his team plays like it.

I get all that but do you not look at the team though and think any manager would struggle with our current lot.

I think Darren could be right and he’s literally our David Moyes. It will take 1 or 2 rotations of managers before our fans accept our situation. The players just aren’t there soc.

Post #497564  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Top 4 is really gone but if we want any chance then Man U v Chelsea has to be a draw.
Man U have Huddersfield and Cardiff - no matter how bad Man U have been they’ll win both of those
Chelsea have Watford and Leicester. Much tougher.

If today is a draw then we’re two behind Chelsea and 1 ahead of Man U. We can stay ahead of Man U by obviously winning both and can then beat Chelsea if they draw or lose one of their two.

Only a draw allows us to have a chance.....and to mess up that chance v Burnley on the final day

Can I save you the thought?

It’s gone we won’t do it, it was gone after palace like I said. Also I bet Emery knows this and will act accordingly.

Now it’s all about Valencia but personally I hope the season ends as soon as possible and a solid part of me wants Valencia to beat us because losing to Chelsea in a European final would be horrendous.

What happens if we lose to Chelsea in the final and finish behind them in 5th but ahead of Utd? Effectively means they'll have qualified for the Champions League twice, and we'd be next in line via both competitions?

Post #497565  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:48 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Can I save you the thought?

It’s gone we won’t do it, it was gone after palace like I said. Also I bet Emery knows this and will act accordingly.

Now it’s all about Valencia but personally I hope the season ends as soon as possible and a solid part of me wants Valencia to beat us because losing to Chelsea in a European final would be horrendous.

What happens if we lose to Chelsea in the final and finish behind them in 5th but ahead of Utd? Effectively means they'll have qualified for the Champions League twice, and we'd be next in line via both competitions?

Very good question, I was wondering that myself.

Post #497566  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

I know his pidgin english does not help and things are lost in translation but I see his interviews and have no idea of the message he is trying to get across. It sounds like a load of gibberish and his team plays like it.

I get all that but do you not look at the team though and think any manager would struggle with our current lot.

I think Darren could be right and he’s literally our David Moyes. It will take 1 or 2 rotations of managers before our fans accept our situation. The players just aren’t there soc.

There was a story yesterday that he wants to make Arsenal the best club in England and the world so his ambitions are clearly pretty lofty :laughing7:

Good luck with that one.

Post #497567  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:02 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

There was a story yesterday that he wants to make Arsenal the best club in England and the world so his ambitions are clearly pretty lofty :laughing7:

Good luck with that one.

Maybe we could get Guardiola If we just don’t tell him he’s only got 40 million to spend he might take the job.

Post #497568  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 pm 

socrates wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Wouldn't we just go into the Europa League next season? Chelsea would have got into the Champions League via a top four finish and winning the Europa League. But so would either Liverpool or Tottenham if they finish in the top four and one of them wins the Champions League.

Post #497569  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:45 pm 

Niall wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Week in,week out, our final ball cannot find our own player. What does Emery practice with the squad? Oh, I forgot ..... our attacking players were training against our shite defence. No wonder Emery thought Iwobi and Mkhitaryan are excellent players.

When will you sort it out? The team is mentally weak. Lacazette is just like Giroud, falling over and grimacing and complaining all the time. Referees get tired of it and you will not get the benefit of their call.

Something is wrong with Aubameyang. I think he will request to leave this summer.

The passing is very bad it has to be said, basic passes going astray, opportunities squandered by a poor pass in the build up.

Herein lies the problem Niall

My biggest beef with Emery .... okay he inherited a Wenger team but he has allowed this f***&^%% soft cock ring a ring a rosy at the back to continue ..... of course adventurous passes go astray when you spend the majority of your time making 'safe' passes to unmarked team mates five metres away .

Never mind personnel ... he's had a whole year to eradicate that trait .

We have a tendency to focus on any injury to excuse performances ... we'd be far better with Ramsay available ..?? Really ....he's had a fair number of limp penied performances when starting . Bellerin has also been dire at times .

I'd give Unai another year ..........BUT can anyone honestly see him playing the Grim Reaper and clearing out the deadwood .... as most of us advocate ..... his body language certainly doesn't suggest he is a no nonsense hard arse .

Arsenal Football Club have become a comfy convalescent home for high waged non performers . The majority will still be with us next season
........... and with Emery robbed of the fresh "new broom" advantage he enjoyed at the start of this season I can see plenty of heart ache ahead .

These fairies can't put in decent performances now ; when the prize of possible champions league football is on offer ... what to expect when the hum drum of a new season starts ...?

Post #497570  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 pm 

After a restless nights sleep I came to the conclusion that as well as a large number of players who need to go I think the defensive coaches at the club must be sacked. I have seen no improvement, rather the contrary, this season and they must also pay the penalty.

How is it Southhampton were woeful mid season but a new manager turned them around defensively whilst we actually have got worse as the season progressed.

The loss of Holding was not good but we don’t even know if he is good enough long term for the club. He put together a few good games but that is not enough to get our hopes up.

As for Leicester I still think Rodgers will be sacked next year. Whether it is before Emery is one for the bookies.

Post #497571  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:00 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:
The passing is very bad it has to be said, basic passes going astray, opportunities squandered by a poor pass in the build up.

I'd give Unai another year ..........BUT can anyone honestly see him playing the Grim Reaper and clearing out the deadwood .... as most of us advocate ..... his body language doesn't suggest he is a no nonsense hard arse .

Even if he wanted to he couldn’t, the money just isn’t there. If he only has 50 million to spend that won’t buy us a wide man of the required quality we need let alone make us contenders again.

We need 5 players, he probably has only enough money for a couple.

People are now slagging off Emerys English even though Pochetino couldn’t speak a word for more than the same time frame.

It’s just pointless

Post #497572  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Wouldn't we just go into the Europa League next season? Chelsea would have got into the Champions League via a top four finish and winning the Europa League. But so would either Liverpool or Tottenham if they finish in the top four and one of them wins the Champions League.

Yep, that’s right. England have 4 champions league places. A 5th place is only opened up if an English team that finishes outside the top 4 wins the Europa League or champions league.
If both champions league and Europa league winners are English and both finish outside the top 4 then the 4th place team in the league is demoted to the Europa league.
I think I might be right in saying that the winner of the Europa league also enters the champions league as one of the 8 top seeds in the group stage.

Post #497573  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yep, that’s right. England have 4 champions league places. A 5th place is only opened up if an English team that finishes outside the top 4 wins the Europa League or champions league.
If both champions league and Europa league winners are English and both finish outside the top 4 then the 4th place team in the league is demoted to the Europa league.
I think I might be right in saying that the winner of the Europa league also enters the champions league as one of the 8 top seeds in the group stage.

Yeah, that's how I thought it worked.

Post #497574  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 pm 

Emery needs to do a GG. Get rid of the "big name" players and build HIS team with youngsters. Mariner, Woodcock, Nicholas, et al were all disposed within a couple of seasons GG taking over. GG rebuilt the defence with Dixon, Bould and Winterburn plus Seaman. Emery's problems are quite similar - leaky defence and non-performing ageing superstars.

Post #497575  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I'd give Unai another year ..........BUT can anyone honestly see him playing the Grim Reaper and clearing out the deadwood .... as most of us advocate ..... his body language doesn't suggest he is a no nonsense hard arse .

Even if he wanted to he couldn’t, the money just isn’t there. If he only has 50 million to spend that won’t buy us a wide man of the required quality we need let alone make us contenders again.

People are now slagging off Emerys English even though Pochetino couldn’t speak a word for more than the same time frame.

It’s just pointless

Okay another one from out of right field. See if City will loan us Maherz next season.

Post #497576  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

but a lot of these teams that have outplayed us of late Watford , Palace , Wolves , Brighton , Everton , Leicester wouldn't been assembled for much more than fifty million .

I don't harbour thoughts of league titles anymore ... I'm just sick of these painfully slow buildups , an exchange of f*&&%$$$ useless passes back and forth in non threatening positions .

Three of the most useless pricks at our club cost the most , so it's not just a question of money .

We lose I've got no problem ...... but watching/ reading about us get turned over by 'lesser' just because they had more 'bottle' is what annoys me most .

Post #497577  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:17 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Emery needs to do a GG. Get rid of the "big name" players and build HIS team with youngsters. Mariner, Woodcock, Nicholas, et al were all disposed within a couple of seasons GG taking over. GG rebuilt the defence with Dixon, Bould and Winterburn plus Seaman. Emery's problems are quite similar - leaky defence and non-performing ageing superstars.

Agreed Goonie ... but another important factor his team had in ...Seaman , Lukic , Bould , Adams , Dixon , Winterburn , Richardson , Marwood , Merson , Rocastle , Smith , Hayes , Allinson , Davis , Thomas ........ see it

They were all English ... chuck in O'Leary and Quinn from across the canal ....wasn't hard for the Scot to get his message across

We now have the United Nations team in which you need twenty translators to hand out a bollocking or convey team tactics .
There is no common spine , just don't have the same bond .

Post #497578  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
You can pick players from opposing teams who are better than ours in certain positions. But let's be honest, Leicester, Wolves and Palace do not have better teams than us. Three defeats in a row conceding 3 goals in each. There's no way I give Emery a pass on this. He's had the squad for a season now. A week ago we found ourselves in a position where a few wins against weaker opponents would probably get us a CL spot. It's been pathetic and the manager is part of that. Let's not forget that he didn't put Özil or Ramsey in his first 11 for many many games while guys like Iwobi and Mkhitaryan are preferred. And the Suarez loan? WTF?

I think Suarez had nothing to do with Emery. Reeks of sanelhi who was ex Barca and brought in an ex player. We had no money for a permanent transfer so you are literally only going to get a player nobody wants.

There’s 15 points between us an Leicester who would never believe they are competing for top4 and have a Stadium half our size. I counted 4 players they had that literally walk into our side. That’s beyond any manager to change until the personnel changes

Suarez had a full season under Emery at Sevilla. He knew the player.

That's almost an irrelevance though. We have a new keeper, centre back and defensive midfielder this season yet we are conceding a stupid amount of goals. We went through a phase of being hugely conservative - 5 at the back against the likes of Bournemouth. We all know he had a tough job to get us back into Top 4, but there have been a lot of failings. He could have done considerably better and this past week has been a shambles.

Post #497579  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:09 pm 

dec wrote:
Hey Kiwi. Great to see you back and it sounds like you've had a rough time. Hope things have sorted themselves out for you.

:icon_mrgreen: Yeah thanks Dec .... wasn't too flash , lack of sleep was the biggest problem . So desperate to drop off yet unable to .... very dibilitating . Great now .

Post #497580  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:34 pm 

Good to see you back Kiwi, glad the health has improved.

Post #497581  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Niall wrote:
Only ones worth building a new team with are Leno, Niles, Guendouzi, Holding and Aubameyang. Rest are average. Torreira not convinced by either. Major surgery needed. Needs physical players who can play away from home.

Don't you rate Hector or Lacazette?

Not overly, no.

If they stayed I wouldn't be upset but I do think they are players we could shift to raise some funds. Lacazette maybe harder to replace than Bellerin but for me hasn't justified his reputation.

Post #497582  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:13 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

This squad only gets up for Europa. They don't want to put in the work required to get into the CL proper. I'm not even interested in the City or Man Utd vs Chelsea game anymore. Why bother?

Everyone should watch city, our players should be forced to watch them. The most extensively assembled and gifted team but they are also the hardest working off the ball.
Bernardo Silva is a magician with the ball, a 10 who has changed his game to play wide or deeper and no player has run further than him in 90 minutes this season. He has the top 2 spots. And I think Eriksen is right up there as well. Just because you are good with the ball at your feet and the creative hub of the team doesn’t mean you shirk workrate. No excuse at all

Some of our players are lazy. Their off the ball running is non existent. Aubameyang is quite lazy nowadays. He does not run to open spaces to receive the balls, as much as he used to.

Players who play with energy & drive are Lacazette, Guendouzi, Monreal, Ramsey, Torreira, AMN, Welbeck, Kolasinac (on & off), Bellerin. Need to bring up Alexis, we missed his energy.

Worst culprits are Xhaka, Mkhitaryan & Özil. Elneny is most times lost at sea. Iwobi runs but headless & clueless. That's our midfield right there. That's why opposing managers knows how to target us. Mkhitaryan is simply going through the motion. No guts, no drive, no desire, no purpose, no intent to make a difference.

Post #497583  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:30 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Good luck with that one.

That is the same storybook that has Mustafi as a very good player. He is a politican who is saying what the masses want to hear. He does not believe it.

Post #497584  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:15 am 

Goonie wrote:

My first Arsenal team was the one GG built to win the league at Anfield so I don’t remember the bigger name players that came before that GG dumped, but I would certainly be up for this sort of plan.
What would be awful would be to accept we have no money to spend and just muddle on with the same group of under performing players.
Can you imagine the praise A manager would get now if he bought through virtually a whole team of English academy players, supplemented them with young English players from the lower leagues, installed a 21 year old as captain and went on win the league at the Etihad on the final day of the season? That group of English players would certainly get a lot more international caps than GG’s group did

Post #497585  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:28 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Agreed Goonie ... but another important factor his team had in ...Seaman , Lukic , Bould , Adams , Dixon , Winterburn , Richardson , Marwood , Merson , Rocastle , Smith , Hayes , Allinson , Davis , Thomas ........ see it

They were all English ... chuck in O'Leary and Quinn from across the canal ....wasn't hard for the Scot to get his message across

We now have the United Nations team in which you need twenty translators to hand out a bollocking or convey team tactics .
There is no common spine , just don't have the same bond .

I am sure this lot speak/understand a bit of English at least. :)

Lacazette
Iwobi Nelson
Torreira Guendouzi AMN
Kolasinac Holding Sokratis Bellerin
Leno

Subs. Martinez, Saka, Mavropanos, Emile Smith Rowe, Willock, Aubameyang, Nketiah

Post #497586  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:02 am 

So......we need to get rid of Özil (350k a week), Mika (200k a week), Xhaka, Mustafi, Monreal at the very least. An argument can be made for selling Iwobi as well. I'd keep Kos as a back-up if he was happy with that.

The question is, do we have the people with the nous to get all this done quickly and without just giving them away. I doubt it.

Who is going to want Özil or Mika on their wages? Nobody I suspect, bar perhaps a Chinese outfit.

In the unlikely event that we can get these players out of the door we then need to replace them which is no easy task given our alleged budget and the fact that if we are not in the CL it will be hard to attract the right level of player. We will be forced to take gambles on young up-and-coming kids with the potential to be top players.

It all feels a bit like the Liverpool of several years ago who were always on the perhiphery and never quite able to compete at the top level, but even they had Gerrard.

Post #497587  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:05 am 

Xhaka is saying he is unable to explain our away day woes.

Well, let me give you a small clue, if you didn't have the attention span of a two year old and tracked your runner then maybe they might not have scored the first goal.

Post #497588  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 am 

socrates wrote:
So......we need to get rid of Özil (350k a week), Mika (200k a week), Xhaka, Mustafi, Monreal at the very least. An argument can be made for selling Iwobi as well. I'd keep Kos as a back-up if he was happy with that.

The question is, do we have the people with the nous to get all this done quickly and without just giving them away. I doubt it.

Who is going to want Özil or Mika on their wages? Nobody I suspect, bar perhaps a Chinese outfit.

Well Henrik has his contract till until June 2021 on 170k a week and he’s 31 in January.

That means if we want rid of him we will definitely have to give him away on a free and even then pray some club out there is interested in him and believes 170k a week is good value.

Özil will be with us next year as I can’t see anyone being crazy enough to pay his salary. Even the Chinese

Post #497589  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:26 am 

I think we may have to loan out likes of Özil, Mkhi and Mustafi if Emery does not want them to be part of the squad.

Post #497590  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 am 

Kevin Whitcher hits the nail on the head again

There’s little debate that the squad looks in dire need of surgery, and there is still a hangover from the Wenger era in the quality of the players and the disproportionate wages some of them are getting. This millstone will take more than another year to phase out, and by the time that happens, Emery himself will have probably gone.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4762

Post #497591  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

There’s little debate that the squad looks in dire need of surgery, and there is still a hangover from the Wenger era in the quality of the players and the disproportionate wages some of them are getting. This millstone will take more than another year to phase out, and by the time that happens, Emery himself will have probably gone.

I agree but it's also worth reading Arseblog this morning.

Unai Emery had a chance to basically secure top four this week and Champions League football for next season. He was in a fantastic position to do it, and he failed miserably. I keep hearing people make excuses like these aren’t his players, but were they his players when we beat United, played very well against Sp*rs, beat Chelsea, beat Napoli over two legs without conceding etc? You can’t pick and choose.

I'm not sold on his approach so far.

Post #497592  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:49 am 

Hard to disagree with any of this:

https://www.suburbangooners.com/2019/04 ... -bottlers/

Post #497593  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:51 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I agree but it's also worth reading Arseblog this morning.

Unai Emery had a chance to basically secure top four this week and Champions League football for next season. He was in a fantastic position to do it, and he failed miserably. I keep hearing people make excuses like these aren’t his players, but were they his players when we beat United, played very well against Sp*rs, beat Chelsea, beat Napoli over two legs without conceding etc? You can’t pick and choose.

I'm not sold on his approach so far.

I’m not convinced myself and think like you he’s a transitional manager. A quick round up of the mistakes he’s made. 5 at the back, dropping Özil (frustrating yes but has to play) dropping Lacazette at the start of the season, probably making too many changes too often.

However that aside I can’t get the thought out of my head that this squad is one of the most mediocre we have had in years. There’s absolute dross in the squad because Gazidis let Wenger run his squad down. I don’t even think our players are even as good as the ones we had a few seasons back?

Would you swap Kolasinac for clichy ?
Would you swap mhikitaryan for Walcott?
Would you swap Iwobi for the OX?
Would you swap Xhaka for Cazorla?

I would and some of those players who left are hardly world beaters, the team is visibly worse than a few years back.

Do you think a 5th or 6th place finish would be disappointing from Emery considering the circumstances? I think Chelsea and spurs have far better players than us and are underachieving in the league.

Post #497594  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Do you think a 5th or 6th place finish would be disappointing from Emery considering the circumstances? I think Chelsea and spurs have far better players than us and are underachieving in the league.

I think position-wise, we're par for the course. But as Arseblog suggests, it's the timidity of some of our formations and approach to some highly winnable games. He's got it right in the bigger games at home largely but plays too safe in games against more average opponents. EVen before AMN was sent off, after twenty minutes we had 19% possession!! Against Leicester City! That's embarrassingly poor. I think he could be doing better in many ways, even with what he has.

Post #497595  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think position-wise, we're par for the course. But as Arseblog suggests, it's the timidity of some of our formations and approach to some highly winnable games. He's got it right in the bigger games at home largely but plays too safe in games against more average opponents. EVen before AMN was sent off, after twenty minutes we had 19% possession!! Against Leicester City! That's embarrassingly poor. I think he could be doing better in many ways, even with what he has.

Oh undoubtedly it was looking poor before the sending off. I just look at some of the players and think your just not good enough and it’s beyond any level of coaching to get more from them. At some point these players will hurt you.

Xhaka was jogging around the pitch like it was a kick about. I agree with souness that if Mustafi can’t work out he needs to be goal side at 27 years of age he’ll never learn and don’t get me started on Iwobi and mykhitaryan who have me praying for the return of Theo Walcott.

That’s 4, simply 4 players who are weak links by and large. Most teams can get away with one or two but four.

Post #497596  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:20 am 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
To be fair though, as you have pointed out, Ramsey only started performing once he'd joined Juventus, albeit for next season. A coincidence, or an outcome of attitude?

Emery only started putting him in the starting 11 in the second half of the season. Ramsey has been thoroughly professional in his approach.

Across competions, up until the point when Ramsey's move to Juventus was confirmed on 11 February, he had started 16 games. How well did he play in any of them, regardless of his fine finish at Craven Cottage?

Ramsey's form really improved quite dramatically once his move to Juventus was sealed. Maybe it wasn't a question of attitude. But if not, unless it's pure coincidence which seems a little far-fetched, there must be some sort of explanation.

Post #497597  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:29 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Emery is in trouble when relatively mild bloggers such as Arseblog are coming out against him this early into his reign.

If you look at his record in the round it has to be acknowledged he's done a fantastic job in the home fixtures this season - though it has to be said we were fairly fortunate in a few of those early victories - we totally mugged Everton and I think West Ham could have got something at the Emirate this year. But overall, many of those very good results Arseblog mentions were achieved at home.

Away, completely different story and I got to say that the manager has a very poor defence to work with and we also lack creative players who can carry the ball and hurt the opposition with dribbling/bit of skill. With end product. As Kiwi often says, we are a passing outfit and therefore sometimes easy to negate away from home.

The Palace game he definitely got the team selection wrong for that one but it did look as if he had rectified that as by the 46th minutes we were 1-1 and should have wrapped up the game until the defensive shambles occurred again.

There are too many similarities with the last years of Wenger this season which makes me more inclined to look at the quality of player we are putting out these days. They've actually done well to be where they are.

I'm not sure if Emery is the man; and I'm not sure if he will sign the players we need; but I'd be prepared to see what he can do in the summer.

Of course, there may well be things going on behind the scenes where that doesn't play out.

Post #497598  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
Emery only started putting him in the starting 11 in the second half of the season. Ramsey has been thoroughly professional in his approach.

Across competions, up until the point when Ramsey's move to Juventus was confirmed on 11 February, he had started 16 games. How well did he play in any of them, regardless of his fine finish at Craven Cottage?

Ramsey's form really improved quite dramatically once his move to Juventus was sealed. Maybe it wasn't a question of attitude. But if not, unless it's pure coincidence which seems a little far-fetched, there must be some sort of explanation.

You are correct IMO. I can't recall which one of the cup games he played in but he just turned up. It was one we were eliminated from and I think I commented on here. Also there were a couple of games which people may recall where he tried a back heel near the box. Not because it was a good move but simply because he did not want to try and keep the ball. I won't miss him. The only players I have missed over the last few years were Santi, Alexis and before him RVP. Because I think they genuinely bought some added value to the team.

Ramsay was a Wenger buy and I don't think the club will start any recovery to all of them are gone. That includes all the silly contracts negotiated under the Wenger years - Özil, Mhkitarian, Xhaka, Mustafi and on and on down to Jenkinson. Emery will be a busted flush by that time. His health will probably give out because if his blood pressure is anything like mine when watching a game - it is not a good thing.

Post #497599  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Yep, Emery's legacy could just be that he was the man who had to ship out all the high earners, low achievers and potentially make Arsenal worse in the immediate to make them better for the future. How long will it take to return to a side full of hungry players irrespective of their talent level? Can't see Emery still being here when it finally happens

Post #497600  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yep, Emery's legacy could just be that he was the man who had to ship out all the high earners, low achievers and potentially make Arsenal worse in the immediate to make them better for the future. How long will it take to return to a side full of hungry players irrespective of their talent level? Can't see Emery still being here when it finally happens

He’s 100% getting fired :laughing7: talk about a poisoned chalice people are slagging off the way he speaks already. Even the England manager get 3 years :laughing7:

[ 570665 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12437, 12438, 12439, 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443 ... 14267  Next