Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 96 guests

Post #497401  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:52 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
It might upset your sensibilities being steeped in Graveny , Compton , Hutton and May ..... but I found watching "Cricket Fever" on Netflex ..... about the Mumbai Indians in the T20 format ... the colour , crowds , passion and excitement generated made for a really enjoyable watch .
Thanks for the tip I will try that, when my wife is out. She hates all sports, though she can look at Thierry Henry and Ruud Gullit with interest.

Sorry to hear of your ills - best wishes for a good recovery. This little ditty might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZMnEBGMR0

Post #497402  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:07 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
recently had about three months of hell healthwise

Sounds extremely grim. You have my sympathies.

Glad that you’re coming out the other side.

Post #497403  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:42 pm 

Mustafi highlight reel :42laughter:

https://twitter.com/afc_sean/status/112 ... 15040?s=21

Post #497404  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:
I haven't seen Daz, Haz or Kiwi on here lately.

Kiwi is probably back in solitary at the nursing home and unable to access the internet.

I assume everything is OK will all three.

Thanks for the concern you bedwetting old pansy .....

recently had about three months of hell healthwise ; visited four doctors before finally being diagnosed with a veratoxin e coli infection ...no cure just wait it out .
Massive stomach pains , didn't eat for a month , no sleep at all for a couple of four day periods , lost 18 kilos in weight , and wasn't that fat in the first place , heart beating all over the joint , no energy and looked like someone exiting a Jap prison camp .
Finally chucked me in hospital hooked up some jumper leads and got my heart back to normal

..... feel okay now but will be a cold day in hell before I drink rum again .

Jesus kiwi, any excuse to ogle some nurses!

Glad to see you back on here again.

Post #497405  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:34 pm 

Unai Emery: “In the Premier League, technical quality without physicality is not enough. City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, all the top teams here are physical and technical. Arsenal need to be the same.”

Post #497406  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:43 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

Welcome back, Kiwi. :12hello-bye:

Post #497407  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Unai Emery: “In the Premier League, technical quality without physicality is not enough. City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, all the top teams here are physical and technical. Arsenal need to be the same.”

Aimed at Xhaka, Özil, Mustafi and co not tracking back or reacting to danger

Post #497408  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saka superb for the U23 again last night by all accounts. Arsenal led e-0 inside 9 mins. Saka with a goal and 2 assists. He’s done it at England U19 level as well. Pace and dribbling ability as well as an end product in goals and assists (12 each this season) is exactly the attributes I want in our wide attacking players.

He’ll surely go on Arsenal’s preseason tour. Will be interesting to see how he gets on and how much Emery rates him. Emery has been relatively reluctant to use the younger players in the prem this season.

Kolasinac's cover at left wing back next season?

Post #497409  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:49 pm 

Welcome back Kiwi.

Post #497410  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

My guess is it has more to do with him wanting toughness as well as skill. More likely he's thinking of Özil and Mkhitaryan, I'd have thought.

Post #497411  Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:
Saka superb for the U23 again last night by all accounts. Arsenal led e-0 inside 9 mins. Saka with a goal and 2 assists. He’s done it at England U19 level as well. Pace and dribbling ability as well as an end product in goals and assists (12 each this season) is exactly the attributes I want in our wide attacking players.

He’ll surely go on Arsenal’s preseason tour. Will be interesting to see how he gets on and how much Emery rates him. Emery has been relatively reluctant to use the younger players in the prem this season.

I'd prefer Kolasinac to be the cover for the left back, rather than someone being the cover for him. He's a poor defender, and that's a problem for any full back.

Anyway, I see Saka as more of an attacking wide player than a left wing back.

Post #497412  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I'd prefer Kolasinac to be the cover for the left back, rather than someone being the cover for him. He's a poor defender, and that's a problem for any full back.

Preferably we get a top class replacement for Monreal. But I have a feeling Emery will stick with 3 at the back with Kola and Bellerin as the first choice wingbacks.

Post #497413  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:
I haven't seen Daz, Haz or Kiwi on here lately.

Kiwi is probably back in solitary at the nursing home and unable to access the internet.

I assume everything is OK will all three.

Thanks for the concern you bedwetting old pansy .....

recently had about three months of hell healthwise ; visited four doctors before finally being diagnosed with a veratoxin e coli infection ...no cure just wait it out .
Massive stomach pains , didn't eat for a month , no sleep at all for a couple of four day periods , lost 18 kilos in weight , and wasn't that fat in the first place , heart beating all over the joint , no energy and looked like someone exiting a Jap prison camp .
Finally chucked me in hospital hooked up some jumper leads and got my heart back to normal

Take care Kiwi

Post #497414  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Clearly lacks presence of mind when the going gets tough. A more purposeful manager would have dropped him eons ago.

Post #497415  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:07 am 

Spurs lost. One, or both, of Chelsea & MU will drop points.

Emery, what type of game will you play against Leicester? Another toothless and slow-mo attacking strategy, in lieu of the Valencia game? Or an all-out, must win, full-on, driven game from all players?

Stop being AW II please. Grow some, and inject pace into our play. Drop Mustafi for good. He is always an accident waiting to happen. Clumsy pushes and tackles in the penalty area all the time.

Post #497416  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 am 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Preferably we get a top class replacement for Monreal. But I have a feeling Emery will stick with 3 at the back with Kola and Bellerin as the first choice wingbacks.

Then I hope you're wrong. That long winning run we had after the first two games came with four at the back. Unless I'm mistaken our bad run more or less coincided with playing five at the back, which is what I call three central defenders and two full backs with a licence to push forward, which is what you mean by wing back.

Also, I thought someone here pointed out the other day that in a former job, was it Sevilla, Emery played a back four? So maybe that is his ideal line up and he's simply tried to stop the goals we were letting in with an additional defender? But whatever system we use I remain to be convinced that Kolasinac is a good enough defender for it.

Post #497417  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:08 am 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Bayer got many interesting players - Brandt, Tah, Havertz, Bailey...

Bayern usually at the front of the queue to hoover these players up

I don't like it but it's an effective strategy to strengthen your own squad and weaken the rivaling squads.

Similarly I think it's worthwhile for our club to look at recruiting players from other EPL clubs. Keane, Lascelles, Jota, etc could be interesting options.

Post #497418  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:46 am 

More Nkuku rumours today. Seems the most credible of all the rumours out there. Emery has worked with him before and he’s not getting as much game time as he wants. Think Emery sees him as a Ramsey replacement.

I would certainly not be against signing players from prem clubs lower than us. Fraser has had a brilliant season wide on the left, goals and assists and bags of pace.

Post #497419  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:23 am 

PSG lost the French cup final on pens to Rennes after a 2-2 draw in which PSG were 2-0 up

Post #497420  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 am 

Consoled myself Gaz by going out and buying two 350 Chev's with Vortec heads for a bargain price so the hoarding gerne survived the carnage . Hope you over the fever .

Understand your thoughts on the doctors , the third [ a woman ] said it was all in my imagination , deep breathing would cure all and "what does it matter you haven't slept at all for four days you will eventually " when I requested some sleeping tablets ....but in their defence they can't test for every available illness known the man.

Brom .. All my ills seemed to start with a guts full rum and one of the home remedies may have triggered the e coli infection . :icon_mrgreen: Many thanks for your kind wishes Bern , Goonie , G7 , Johnnie Boy , Decaf ,

Old Man .. have a bit of ancient Oz Kiwi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4EWEBibyQ

We surely can't lose to Leicester ...... I wouldn't mind if we did because it might drive home the fact we do need a major clean out .

Post #497421  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

My guess is it has more to do with him wanting toughness as well as skill. More likely he's thinking of Özil and Mkhitaryan, I'd have thought.

Same. I think this is an encouraging sound bite as to what he can clearly see as a weakness in our make up. Be interesting to see what kind of player he goes for in the summer.

Post #497422  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:50 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Welcome back, Kiwi. :12hello-bye:

:12hello-bye: thanks Big Guy ...watched quite a bit of the Lions versus the Chiefs a week or so back ... pretty impressed with their expansive play , sort of South African rugby from a bygone era shades of Dannie Gerber , Jannie Englebrecht , Tom van Vollenhoven .

Post #497423  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:58 am 

More talk this morning of arsenal handing Welbeck a new contract. As long as he’s fully recovered from hi injury I can see sense in that. It would cost £15-20m to replace him in the squad and that is money that could be used elsewhere if he resigns. He’s versatile, gives 100% and offers a bit of a plan b both up front and on the wing. I don’t sign up for giving players sympathy contracts or because they are a fan favourite - this just makes sense. Ideally we get a player better than Welbeck but we need to cut our cloth accordingly. If we can push another £15m towards a centre back and left back because Welbeck is signed on for 2-3 more years then I say do it. There is talk of a lower basic wage with performance related bonuses

Post #497424  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:53 am 

Rich wrote:
More talk this morning of arsenal handing Welbeck a new contract. As long as he’s fully recovered from hi injury I can see sense in that. It would cost £15-20m to replace him in the squad and that is money that could be used elsewhere if he resigns. He’s versatile, gives 100% and offers a bit of a plan b both up front and on the wing. I don’t sign up for giving players sympathy contracts or because they are a fan favourite - this just makes sense. Ideally we get a player better than Welbeck but we need to cut our cloth accordingly. If we can push another £15m towards a centre back and left back because Welbeck is signed on for 2-3 more years then I say do it. There is talk of a lower basic wage with performance related bonuses

Couldn't agree more. Welbeck's never going to get in anybody's best ever Arsenal team, unless his mother is picking it. But as an all round player he's more than useful. Good pace, decent skill, okay in his passing, absolutely fine in the air without being another John Radford, and one of the hardest working players I've ever seen at Arsenal.

The main moan about him concerns his goal scoring, which doesn't set the house on fire when dividing appearances by goals scored. But as I mentioned here whenever it was, I saw a calculation of his goal scoring rate using actual minutes on the pitch instead of simple appearances (coming on as a sub in injury time counts as an appearance). By using goals scored per minutes on the pitch, Welbeck's goal scoring at Arsenal actually translates into a ratio of one goal every two games. That isn't bad.

Post #497425  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 am 

Leno, AMN, Sokratis, Mustafi, Kola, Xhaka, torreira, Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Lacazette

No Özil in the matchday squad at all

Post #497426  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Welbeck's never going to get in anybody's best ever Arsenal team, unless his mother is picking it. But as an all round player he's more than useful. Good pace, decent skill, okay in his passing, absolutely fine in the air without being another John Radford, and one of the hardest working players I've ever seen at Arsenal.

The main moan about him concerns his goal scoring, which doesn't set the house on fire when dividing appearances by goals scored. But as I mentioned here whenever it was, I saw a calculation of his goal scoring rate using actual minutes on the pitch instead of simple appearances (coming on as a sub in injury time counts as an appearance). By using goals scored per minutes on the pitch, Welbeck's goal scoring at Arsenal actually translates into a ratio of one goal every two games. That isn't bad.

Actually that’s very good for a non regular. Wiltord was one in 3 for us

I’d offer Welbeck a contract. Good guy with a great attitude

Post #497427  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Actually your probably right.

The club are paying Özil and Mkhitaryan 500 grand a week, must be a real bone of contention that they only deliver in spurts

Post #497428  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am 

Got a feeling top 4 ends today. Hope I’m wrong

Post #497429  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Got a feeling top 4 ends today. Hope I’m wrong

We are so unpredictable absolutely nothing would surprise me today. Good or bad.

Post #497430  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:29 am 

Great save Leno

Otherwise utterly abysmal so far. Just offered nothing what so ever

Post #497431  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:34 am 

We are so predictable. Our creative players just don’t seem able to impose themselves on any game. Everything seems so telegraphed

I’m surprised Emery hasn’t called up Saka into the main squad. If nothing else to offer something different.

Post #497432  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 am 

Niles off

Goodbye top 4

Post #497433  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 am 

Down to 10 men - sounds familiar ....

Post #497434  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 am 

Ffs AMN off.

Post #497435  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 am 

And how predictable was that. Brainless.

Post #497436  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Irrelevant given that he's never on the pitch

Post #497437  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am 

Soft second booking, but shouldn't dive in when booked.

Tactically Emery has got it wrong a lot recently and again today, but he's not helped by having so many players injured and so many who just aren't and never will be good enough. The recruitment in recent years (not to mention the sales) has been poor, and we don't have the money to make mistakes like the other big clubs.

Post #497438  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am 

Very harsh that from Oliver, usually a good ref.

Post #497439  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
We are so predictable. Our creative players just don’t seem able to impose themselves on any game. Everything seems so telegraphed

I’m surprised Emery hasn’t called up Saka into the main squad. If nothing else to offer something different.

Why the *%^@ is Mikitaryan even on the pitch. Might as well be playing a man down before Maitland got sent off.

Utterly woeful. I've said it before but if Emery hasn't made major improvements by December then he's not the guy for the job

Post #497440  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:41 am 

Mkhi at right back. :20hospitals:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12433, 12434, 12435, 12436, 12437, 12438, 12439 ... 14269  Next