Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 97 guests

Post #495321  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start

In no particular order, for central midfielders how about Hillier, Selley, Morrow, Denilson, Court, Matthews, Gatting, Price, Jensen, Elneny? They all played plenty of games so I've avoided any hopeless gits who came on as a late sub in a couple of League Cup ties.

Yes Bernard, that's a collection of stunning mediocrity. A reminder of some of the dross we've been served up over the years to counterbalance the better times.

Post #495322  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:03 am 

Thought BATE Borisov would provide us with a confidence booster with a run of wins before the Spurs match. Hope we bounce back quickly with a good performance and result.

Post #495323  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:05 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start

Xhaka?

Xhaka will be our next captain when Koscielny eventually leaves. Not sure if that's a good thing for us though.

Post #495324  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 am 

Goonie wrote:
dec wrote:
Xhaka?

Xhaka will be our next captain when Koscielny eventually leaves. Not sure if that's a good thing for us though.

Interesting and thoughtful analysis. And yet, you've kind of made this up, haven't you?

Post #495325  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 am 

I only say this because Leno is actually going to be the next captain.

Post #495326  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Interesting and thoughtful analysis. And yet, you've kind of made this up, haven't you?

Judging by recent events, it's only a one year appointment anyway. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #495327  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:02 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Going by Emery naming Kos, Čech, Özil, Ramsey and Xhaka as his captains at the start of the season. Likely Xhaka will outlast the other 4.

Post #495328  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 am 

Goonie wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Going by Emery naming Kos, Čech, Özil, Ramsey and Xhaka as his captains at the start of the season. Likely Xhaka will outlast the other 4.

Hopefully Emery will see sense and realise that selecting one of our top 10 worst ever midfielders as captain isn't a great idea.

Post #495329  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:58 pm 

I see Guendouzi being linked with PSG for £60m+.

As much as that sounds it's peanuts in the context of the player he could become.

I actually read on twitter comments from some Arsenal fans who genuinely don't rate him. I don't know what games they are watching but this kid is 19 years old with the potential to become an absolute superstar.

It would be strange if the all the big clubs in europe were not monitoring his progress and if someone gets him for £60m that could be an absolute steal.

Post #495330  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:04 pm 

DHD wrote:
Just as some weekends are chock full of high class sport, this week is the opposite. Couple of poxy cup ties in which I have no interest whatever, so I watched the cricket.

Wow!

South Africa v Sri Lanka - what a last session. Needing 304 in the final innings, Sri Lanka were well placed on 206-6, but SA took quick wickets and had it all but wrapped up at 226-9. Then Perera took control, farming the bowling to knock off the 78 runs needed. He finished on 153 not out and his partner Fernando faced 28 balls to score 6, 4 of which came from overthrows! Amazing game.

Were you watching, Decaf?

Indeed. Spectacular stuff. Perera's knock is one of the finest I've seen. SA still dont like pressure ... unable to bowl on the stumps to the no 11 or keep Perera off strike.

Post #495331  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:30 pm 

socrates wrote:

As much as that sounds it's peanuts in the context of the player he could become.

I actually read on twitter comments from some Arsenal fans who genuinely don't rate him. I don't know what games they are watching but this kid is 19 years old with the potential to become an absolute superstar.

It would be strange if the all the big clubs in europe were not monitoring his progress and if someone gets him for £60m that could be an absolute steal.

I’m a big Guendouzi fan but we would have rebuffed £60m bids for Wilshere who was doing similar at the same age. If the bidding started going higher than that we’d have to seriously consider it given that we have lots of gaps to fill in the squad and £40m won’t cut it.
I’d have to look at it as weakening 1 position in order to strengthen 3 others

Post #495332  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:31 pm 

:22encouragement:
socrates wrote:

The worrying thing in the report I saw was that the £60m price was being set by Arsenal. I reckon Guendouzi could be worth £150m in the not too distant future. If they let him go for £60m, I hope I'd be able to give up on Arsenal because I don't see it being reinvested in the team anyway. My bet is it will be used towards paying off the loans Kroenke took out to buy his 100% stake in the club.

I agree with you socrates about any Arsenal fans who don't rate Guendouzi. They're beyond help. Still a teenager and he's already our best player, however good the likes of older and more experienced players including Torreira, Aubameyang and Lacazette might be.

Post #495333  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
:22encouragement:
socrates wrote:

The worrying thing in the report I saw was that the £60m price was being set by Arsenal. I reckon Guendouzi could be worth £150m in the not too distant future. If they let him go for £60m, I hope I'd be able to give up on Arsenal because I don't see it being reinvested in the team anyway. My bet is it will be used towards paying off the loans Kroenke took out to buy his 100% stake in the club.

I agree with you socrates about any Arsenal fans who don't rate Guendouzi. They're beyond help. Still a teenager and he's already our best player, however good the likes of older and more experienced players including Torreira, Aubameyang and Lacazette might be.

How on Earth any arsenal fan couldn’t rate him is beyond me. He’s been our best player this year and if he could add a bit more quality to his incisive passing he will be one of the best midfielders in the world. He’s 19 so even in 3 years time he won’t be at his peak. I wouldn’t sell him for 90 let alone 60.

True quality stands out a mile and is easily visible for all to see. Despite arsenal fans raving about Xhaka and Ramsey no major clubs would even contemplate pursuing them if they weren’t going for free. Good players can demand a premium and quality stands out a mile. Guendouzi is quality

Post #495334  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:24 am 

If the Saudi royal family buy man united will any of it even matter anymore ? Would it even be worth debating.

I mean it’s literally over as a competitive sport at that point and it’s looking increasingly likely according to rumours

Post #495335  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am 

Greeny wrote:
Goonermen, lend me your ears!

Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Brady when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Robson when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Vieira when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Fabregas when he started

The only player I find it naturally easy to compare him to is actually Manu Petitt. Just the height, the ability to hold onto the ball under pressure, the distribution. The fact he is effectively the pivot from defence to attack.

Post #495336  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm 

Greeny wrote:

4th place is the target, top 3 has gone
Napoli and Sevilla would be favourites on form
Man U are favourites on short-term form, Chelsea are not
The most likely scenario is 5th behind Man U, and a lacklustre 2 legged defeat somewhere in Europe
Wenger could have achieved that

Our form is inconsistent, but at anything even approaching our best we can beat Napoli or Sevilla. I'd still just about make us favourites to beat them. And if Wenger was still here I'd have seen sixth as a lot more likely than fifth, and closer to the likes of Wolves and Watford than we are.

Why do you start posts with 'Goonermen, lend me your ears!' We read your posts, we don't listen to them.

Post #495337  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:15 pm 

Mesut Özil leaves UK amid standoff with Arsenal boss Unai Emery to take fiance to Turkey

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... b568e5094a

Post #495338  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Greeny wrote:

The most likely scenario is 5th behind Man U, and a lacklustre 2 legged defeat somewhere in Europe

Our form is inconsistent, but at anything even approaching our best we can beat Napoli or Sevilla. I'd still just about make us favourites to beat them. And if Wenger was still here I'd have seen sixth as a lot more likely than fifth, and closer to the likes of Wolves and Watford than we are.

Why do you start posts with 'Goonermen, lend me your ears!' We read your posts, we don't listen to them.

Agreed, Europa win seems a more likely route to the CL. We have shown with games v Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea that we can pull it together. If we play 2 legs like we did v Chelsea for example I think there isn't a team left who would beat us.
I make Chelsea, Napoli and ourselves the best 3 left in the competition. I think we can beat any of them at home - the away leg is more tricky and our usual European undoing. Hopefully they can draw each other and we play 1 in the final. What odds Chelsea and Arsenal finishing 5th and 6th and meeting in the Europa final for a Champions League place as well as the trophy? It could really make or break each team in the short and long term

Post #495339  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Greeny wrote:

Surely 'goonerpeople' would be more apt in these days of equal opportunities Bernard. And Greeny, if you're reading, no offence mate but no you can't borrow my ears - they're all I've got.

Post #495340  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If the Saudi royal family buy man united will any of it even matter anymore ? Would it even be worth debating.

I mean it’s literally over as a competitive sport at that point and it’s looking increasingly likely according to rumours

Yeah it basically means a City and United duopoly, Chelsea will probably be sold in the next few years so they may or may not drop out depending on who they get, Liverpool have done well this season but long term will struggle to compete with the wealth of the two Manchester clubs, no point even talking about Arsenal really, we don't even bother to try and compete, Spurs might attract the vultures once they pay off some of their stadium debt, hopefully they get their own Kroenke.

Post #495341  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 pm 

Chelsea’s biggest problem is similar to Arsenal’s. A real lack of attacking threat and creativity. Chelsea have full backs that don’t offer a huge amount going forward, 3 central mids who would barely get double figures for goals and assists a season....combined. Then it is one of Pedro/Willian who are very inconsistent which only leaves hazard and higuain as the only real goal and creative threat.

Post #495342  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah it basically means a City and United duopoly, Chelsea will probably be sold in the next few years so they may or may not drop out depending on who they get, Liverpool have done well this season but long term will struggle to compete with the wealth of the two Manchester clubs, no point even talking about Arsenal really, we don't even bother to try and compete, Spurs might attract the vultures once they pay off some of their stadium debt, hopefully they get their own Kroenke.

It would be the final nail in the coffin for football but its always been on the cards. I mean what money-no-object potential buyer would not want to own United given the status and potential of the club.

They could dominate world football because lets face it they could afford to buy virtually any player at any price and few players would turn down a resurgent United even for Real or Barca. We've seen PSG outmuscle Barca so why couldn't United backed by the Saudi Royal Family.

The reality is that we are also-rans and have been for some time now. Our quickest way back to the top would realistically be a a new owner. Otherwise we could be on the outside looking in like Liverpool have been for the best part of 30 years.

Post #495343  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm 

socrates wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

It would be the final nail in the coffin for football but its always been on the cards. I mean what money-no-object potential buyer would not want to own United given the status and potential of the club.

They could dominate world football because lets face it they could afford to buy virtually any player at any price and few players would turn down a resurgent United even for Real or Barca. We've seen PSG outmuscle Barca so why couldn't United backed by the Saudi Royal Family.

The reality is that we are also-rans and have been for some time now. Our quickest way back to the top would realistically be a a new owner. Otherwise we could be on the outside looking in like Liverpool have been for the best part of 30 years.

It will get worse in the prem if the big teams negotiate their own tv deal. The big 6 are putting together the argument that people pay to watch them not the rest of the league so they should get a bigger piece of the pie. What that fails to realise is one of the reasons the premier league is the best tv export is the relative competitiveness in a one of game from any team in the league. The fast pace and bad defending help as well

Post #495344  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 pm 

Solskjaer has done a great job at Man U but things are a lot easier for a manger in his position whereby he can choose to leave out a £75m striker because he has a £65m one who suits his tactics better. Or he can afford to have the new £50m holding mid not even make any squads because they have a £30m guy the last manager didn’t play. Same with leaving out a £30m centre back and a guy you pay £400k a week to with no loss of quality in the replacements. And the last manager didn’t play his £90m mid in his best position and eventually dropped him - new guy plays world class player in best position coming in off a notional left centre mid position with licence to join the attack.

What would have been more impressive is if Solskjaer had got Sanchez, Lukaku, fellaini, Fred, Valencia all firing when Jose couldn’t. Something a bit more like what Emery is trying to deal with - (Emery has made mistakes as well for sure)

Post #495345  Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:08 pm 

Sarri is on the chopping block at Chelsea and he is on the same points and goal differential as us. Interesting.

Post #495346  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:15 am 

I thought this was an interesting Twitter thread.

Post #495347  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:23 am 

Darren wrote:
I thought this was an interesting Twitter thread.

I agree 200% with what he’s saying.

You have 2 good defenders in Sokratis and Bellerin and 1 decent prospect in Holding.

The other players are nowhere good enough to be playing this level anymore and screaming at Emery to organise them better is totally missing the point. You simply can’t do anything with our personnel in defence and the problem is Emery is desperately trying to shuffle his pack to find a miracle cure that simply doesn’t exist. He needs to abandon it revert to 4 at the back and simply try and outscore the other team. Mustafi is simply beyond coaching.

I don’t believe a previous arsenal team or many other sides would be giving lichsteiner, monreal or Kosielny anywhere near the amount of games they are getting. They are players in the twilight of their careers and should be getting no more than about 5-7 games a season. Personally I’d sell the 3 of them and try and blood youth if we can’t afford transfers.

Personally I think Emery is making mistakes but he’s barely got any options and I’d suggest selling players right now is even more important than buying as we need to shed some serious wood.

Post #495348  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:36 pm 

Not this season but City will likely win a CL at some point with the money they have and sadly, at the present rate, I can see Tottenham winning before we get another sniff. That happens....no, shudder the thought. I don't want to even consider that happening.

Post #495349  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:44 pm 

Petr Čech takes Arsenal Women for dinner to congratulate achievement

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... chievement

Post #495350  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 pm 

I predict the lowest ever attandence at a first team fixture tomorrow night - maybe as low as the 4544 at Highbury in 1966 vs Leeds. I was just out of this picture on the right.

Attachments:

Post #495351  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 pm 

warrior wrote:

Hey Rog - how the hell are you?

Quite often recently, it's been quite difficult to get on here. I get this message:

Attachments:
503.PNG
503.PNG [ 10.76 KB | Viewed 3219 times ]

Post #495352  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 pm 

DHD wrote:
warrior wrote:

Hey Rog - how the hell are you?

Quite often recently, it's been quite difficult to get on here. I get this message:

Yeah - I saw that one too. I will look into it again over the weekend.
I have a funeral to go to now. A very close musician friend of 30 years passed away at only 62. ;-(

Post #495353  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:54 am 

DHD wrote:
I predict the lowest ever attandence at a first team fixture tomorrow night - maybe as low as the 4544 at Highbury in 1966 vs Leeds. I was just out of this picture on the right.

No chance DHD. I can see there being around ten times that as there's so much to play for.

Post #495354  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:18 am 

DHD wrote:

You have to feel a bit sorry for Roy Pack, DHD. As a young local lad joining Arsenal in the early '60s, he must have dreamed of donning the shirt at Highbury for a couple of decades to come, before fifty or sixty thousand excited fans week in, week out. Instead, his one and only appearance for the club in 1966 was in front of a crowd that Enfield FC wouldn't have been thrilled about. And that was it. Weeks later, he was transferred to Portsmouth. A cruel sport.

Post #495355  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:30 am 

DHD wrote:

Interesting picture.

You might find this interesting. I'm inclined to say that Gatting's innings shades it ... the SA attack at Kingmead was formidable but not nearly as fearsome at THAT Windies attack. I'd also put a couple of Lara innings above it. But its up there ...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... nings-ever

Post #495356  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

No chance DHD. I can see there being around ten times that as there's so much to play for.

We'll never know what tonight's crowd is. The attendance that's announced will include 40,000 season tickets but I'd guess that only 10% will actually be there.

Post #495357  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:54 am 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

Interesting picture.

You might find this interesting. I'm inclined to say that Gatting's innings shades it ... the SA attack at Kingmead was formidable but not nearly as fearsome at THAT Windies attack. I'd also put a couple of Lara innings above it. But its up there ...

Certainly was a stunning knock, not least for the way he farmed the bowling. I thought your guys missed a trick or two but that takes very little away from Perera.

Post #495358  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
DHD wrote:

You have to feel a bit sorry for Roy Pack, DHD. As a young local lad joining Arsenal in the early '60s, he must have dreamed of donning the shirt at Highbury for a couple of decades to come, before fifty or sixty thousand excited fans week in, week out. Instead, his one and only appearance for the club in 1966 was in front of a crowd that Enfield FC wouldn't have been thrilled about. And that was it. Weeks later, he was transferred to Portsmouth. A cruel sport.

Blimey - that's some shout, McQ. I don't recall Roy Pack at all. Stoke Newington boy as well. I must've seen him in the stiffs - I went to all those as well.

I have the Leeds programme somewhere - but I've no idea where.

Post #495359  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:08 am 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Interesting picture.

Certainly was a stunning knock, not least for the way he farmed the bowling. I thought your guys missed a trick or two but that takes very little away from Perera.

And whatever happens in the rest of his career, Perera was a god-like for a couple of hours that day.

The number 11, Vishwa Fernando, who supported him so courageously, has picked up where he left off. He's bowling beautifully this morning and has already clean bowled Elgar and Amla. SA 33 for 3.

Post #495360  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:49 am 

He was my fave player after Cesc, too bad he turned out to be a Judas. Oh what might have been had he stayed healthy...and if Wenger had made the team more competitive...

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12381, 12382, 12383, 12384, 12385, 12386, 12387 ... 14269  Next