Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 99 guests

Post #495121  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:16 pm 

Elneny for Torreira.

Post #495122  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:27 pm 

Huddersfield hustling us really well, but thankfully couldn't hit a barn door.

Post #495123  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:34 pm 

Suarez for Mkhitaryan.

Post #495124  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:45 pm 

Good to see young Jo Willock coming on

Post #495125  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:45 pm 

Few minutes left Willock for Iwobi.

Post #495126  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:49 pm 

This feed is killing me. The forum doesn't help, what the feck are you doing Rog, watching Liverpool?

Post #495127  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm 

ffs they score

Post #495128  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:53 pm 

It's going to be 3 points, but an unconvincing performance, lack of coherence and too many misplaced passes. Poor.
And Huddersfield score - flicked home by Kolasinac by the looks of things.

Post #495129  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:07 pm 

Important win
But we were dire.
Just bloody knew we would let this shower score against us.
Can't even keep a clean sheet against Huddersfield!!
We make any crap team look half decent. Infuriating.
Win is a win but with top 4 looking tight we need to start keeping clean sheets as goal difference could be the decider.
If we don't concede that silly goal then our GD and utd would have been level pegging at 17.

Post #495130  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:08 pm 

We are piss poor, Kroenke has ruined this club and I doubt the damage he has done can be repaired by any manager on his budget.

Post #495131  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 pm 

We may have won that but my goodness we look so mediocre. Other teams will smash them to pieces.

When we got it to the edge of their box we just didn’t have a final ball and no players capable of beating a man.

Suarez has shown nothing yet and how on earth can you not keep a clean sheet againest that lot.

Post #495132  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 pm 

The lack of a proper serious goal threat from midfield positions really noticeable in some of our late counter attacks. The other top 5 teams have wide players or attacking mids who arefar more clinical and take those counter chances. We had so many chances to put the game to bed at 3-0.

We are still in a place where almost every position on the pitch is weak and needs new players to strengthen.
We know we need a back up gk in the summer
We know we will need back up RB and a new LB
The need for quality in central defence is not even in question
Wide left, wide right and attacking mid need strengthening and another body up front still required because Aubameyang and Lacazette can’t take the whole season

Post #495133  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:42 pm 

Lots of players missing today, Aubameyang, Özil, Ramsey, Xhaka, Bellerin, Sokratis, Holding, Welbeck. Im sure all of those bar Welbeck were part of our first choice 11 in the earlier part of the season

Post #495134  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 pm 

What the hell has happened to Brighton??? Nosediving down the table, they're looking like relegation favourites now.

Post #495135  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 pm 

thofman wrote:
What the hell has happened to Brighton??? Nosediving down the table, they're looking like relegation favourites now.

You’d have to think Huddersfield and Fulham are going, neither really showing anything that makes you think they’ll get out of trouble. The final place could be any of 5/6 teams. I was sure it would be Cardiff butcredit to them they’ve pulled some results out recently

Post #495136  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:39 pm 

Guendouzi has completed 90 mins in 11 of our last 12 league games having only had 90 mins in 3 of the first 14 league games of the season.

He’s become a firm favourite of Emery’s. I thought he had a bit of a dip around Xmas (wasn’t the only one) but he’s been one of our best players since then.

Post #495137  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 pm 

Klopp’s Liverpool’s defence were a shambles, he hardly spent any money on it then suddenly dropped £140m on a top class CB and a Top GK. also had some huge improvement in a pair of full backs. However I still don’t see Klopp as someone who has suddenly found his mojo for coaching a tight defence. Much more like he has a general in defence who organises it all on the pitch for him. Wenger was very much the same - his best defences were when he had players (Adams and sol) who organised it all for him. Perhaps Emery is the same and needs that vocal, organiser back there. Kos has never been that, mustafi can’t organise himself let alone the rest of them, Sokratis- I’m not sure and holding probably takes a step back from more senior defenders. I suppose it goes back to the argument of arsenal lacking leaders - which is true all over the pitch still

Post #495138  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
thofman wrote:

You’d have to think Huddersfield and Fulham are going, neither really showing anything that makes you think they’ll get out of trouble. The final place could be any of 5/6 teams. I was sure it would be Cardiff butcredit to them they’ve pulled some results out recently

I see Brighton have taken just six points from the last 33. Only Huddersfield can match that for sheer sh*teness. They have to be favourites to join Huddersfield and Fulham now. Pity, always had a soft spot for them. Incidentally, they have only conceded two goals more than Arsenal!

Post #495139  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Guendouzi has completed 90 mins in 11 of our last 12 league games having only had 90 mins in 3 of the first 14 league games of the season.

He’s become a firm favourite of Emery’s. I thought he had a bit of a dip around Xmas (wasn’t the only one) but he’s been one of our best players since then.

Wonder what Emery's thinking is with regards to our centre mid - play with two and rotate Xhaka, Guendouzi and Torreira? Or play with those three in the middle? Makes us more solid I think but they don't score enough... Aubameyang and Lacazette doing well on the scoring front, they are averaging a goal every league game between them (15 and 10 respectively with 26 games played) but we could do with more goals from our midfielders.

Post #495140  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 pm 

Rich wrote:

For me Guendouzi has been our player of the season so far. Think he's been more consistent than Torreira, who has been poor enough in some games for even Emery to call him inconsistent. I'd put him ahead of both Aubamayeng and Lacazette as well.

Post #495141  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Wonder what Emery's thinking is with regards to our centre mid - play with two and rotate Xhaka, Guendouzi and Torreira? Or play with those three in the middle? Makes us more solid I think but they don't score enough... Aubameyang and Lacazette doing well on the scoring front, they are averaging a goal every league game between them (15 and 10 respectively with 26 games played) but we could do with more goals from our midfielders.

I think there were games when we played all 3 and you rarely saw any of them in the opposition box let alone provide any sort of goal threat. Considering in some of those games we were playing 5 at the back as well it leaves us really short of goal threat.

Post #495142  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

For me Guendouzi has been our player of the season so far. Think he's been more consistent than Torreira, who has been poor enough in some games for even Emery to call him inconsistent. I'd put him ahead of both Aubamayeng and Lacazette as well.

Given his age and no top flight experience I absolutely agree with you. He should be a shoe in for young player of the year, can’t think of any 19 year old doing what he is doing in the hardest place on the pitch for a young player to make the break through

Post #495143  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 pm 

Seeing plenty of times the other top 6 win games comfortably. Liverpool and Man U both 3-0 today, Chelsea 5-0 the other day. We are scraping 2-1 wins, that catches up with you sooner or later. We beat Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff all 2-1, 3 of the worst teams in the dictions and we are having to bust a gut for the full 90 mins.

Post #495144  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:51 am 

I just hope Emery does have a plan in mind. And he is letting this season be his "test-bed", after the undefeated run, ran its course.

Post #495145  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:18 am 

Rich wrote:
Seeing plenty of times the other top 6 win games comfortably. Liverpool and Man U both 3-0 today, Chelsea 5-0 the other day. We are scraping 2-1 wins, that catches up with you sooner or later. We beat Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff all 2-1, 3 of the worst teams in the dictions and we are having to bust a gut for the full 90 mins.

A decent side would have smashed Huddersfield.

I don’t think we look comfortable on the ball at all and it’s reflected in our play, without Özil there is no number 10 type who can link the good work Torreira and Guendouzi does and turn them into attacks. It’s just crazy Özil isn’t getting matches.

I just wish Emery would ditch playing 3 centre backs, drop Mustafi and play an extra midfielder. Just doing that would make us so more fluid.

Post #495146  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:25 am 

Gnabry playing well for Bayern. Absolutely crazy that we sold buffon’s heir and robben’s heir for £15m combined. If those clubs saw these guys as the replacements to these legends of the game the price should have been quadruple what we got. It’s doing so much damage, decisions on selling players for measly amounts or for free is one of the biggest reasons to contribute to our downfall

Post #495147  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:43 am 

Gooner editor seems to be getting frustrated with Emery

at times, it looked quite laboured. It’s come to the point where, I believe, because of the frequent changes to the starting line-up, even allowing for injuries, the fluidity has gone. This is down to habit and understanding. A settled formation, a settled starting eleven, might be the solution. But I don’t see Emery changing this aspect of his approach.

I have to agree there’s just too much change

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4712

Post #495148  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I don’t think we look comfortable on the ball at all and it’s reflected in our play, without Özil there is no number 10 type who can link the good work Torreira and Guendouzi does and turn them into attacks. It’s just crazy Özil isn’t getting matches.

I just wish Emery would ditch playing 3 centre backs, drop Mustafi and play an extra midfielder. Just doing that would make us so more fluid.

I completely agree. This, along with the hopeless defending, is why I said last week that I have not been impressed by Emery. We have conceded more goals than Wolves, Watford, Crystal Palace and Newcastle. :sad5: Scraping a win against a team battling relegation will happen every so often. But when you get a 2-0 lead in these games it should be a canter to the finish. What is more concerning is the fact that it is happening too frequently. We have set up in a very defensive manner against considerably weaker teams many times now. Emery is showing himself to be a very conservative manager, who also clearly has favourites who feature in the team irrespective of talent and performances. I thought he was brilliant at Sevilla. But it is a small club and they were punching above their weight. Arsenal is very different. He strikes me as a type who doesn't really trust creative players.

I would also have a slight concern over his use of Guendouzi. The kid has been a revelation this season. A real success story. However, he is only 19 and I think there is a danger that he is being over-played and that there is too much responsibility being put on him. He looks like the type who can take that responsibility but he shouldn't have to. I would worry a bit about the amount of games he is playing though.

Post #495149  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:57 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I completely agree. This, along with the hopeless defending, is why I said last week that I have not been impressed by Emery. We have conceded more goals than Wolves, Watford, Crystal Palace and Newcastle. :sad5: Scraping a win against a team battling relegation will happen every so often. But when you get a 2-0 lead in these games it should be a canter to the finish. What is more concerning is the fact that it is happening too frequently. We have set up in a very defensive manner against considerably weaker teams many times now. Emery is showing himself to be a very conservative manager, who also clearly has favourites who feature in the team irrespective of talent and performances. I thought he was brilliant at Sevilla. But it is a small club and they were punching above their weight. Arsenal is very different. He strikes me as a type who doesn't really trust creative players.

Yesterday was the first time I’ve really looked at us and thought he was open to criticism. There should be no arsenal team on the pitch that doesn’t have one of Suarez, Ramsey or Özil playing otherwise we won’t have enough decisiveness around the opposing box.

If he plays the same 5 defenders againest bate on Thursday then I really won’t know what to say. It’s far too conservative, shows too much respect to weak opposition and we will need an away goal.

We’ve already seen how this plays out, we will get properly twatted by any side in the top 5, do the bare minimum againest sides like Huddersfield to get the 3 points whilst not impressing and get dumped out of Europe probably in the semis when we finally have to play someone decent.

I sympathise with Emery, the squad he inherited just isn’t good enough and to lose 3 of your key players for a whole season is a huge blow however if he keeps making mistakes on the things he can get right then it’s going to be very difficult to keep defending him.

Post #495150  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:57 pm 

Spurs 1-0 up give away a pen, Leicester bring Vardy off the bench totake it, poor penalty and it’s saved. Spurs then score a second.

There have been so many 50/50 moments in spurs games this season and it always seems to fall jam side up for them. I remeber at the start of the season they were awful and suffering from having so many players late back from the World Cup but they were scrapping through games. They’re doing the same again now. It’s strange really because whenever it comes to a REALLY big moment, a semi final or a chance to do something in the league they bottle it but in run of the mill games they seem to have a lot of mental strength to somehow win games they’ve been second best in.
When arsenal are 2nd best we rarely win

Post #495151  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs 1-0 up give away a pen, Leicester bring Vardy off the bench totake it, poor penalty and it’s saved. Spurs then score a second.

There have been so many 50/50 moments in spurs games this season and it always seems to fall jam side up for them. I remeber at the start of the season they were awful and suffering from having so many players late back from the World Cup but they were scrapping through games. They’re doing the same again now. It’s strange really because whenever it comes to a REALLY big moment, a semi final or a chance to do something in the league they bottle it but in run of the mill games they seem to have a lot of mental strength to somehow win games they’ve been second best in.
When arsenal are 2nd best we rarely win

We were second best yesterday.

Post #495152  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:13 pm 

Chelsea’s goal difference is diminishing. 2 down already.

Post #495153  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:20 pm 

Chelsea are regressing into The Arsenal.

Post #495154  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Now it’s 3 down. I just hope that City keep the screws on.

Post #495155  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Well this is fun. Now it’s 4.

Post #495156  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 pm 

Southampton and Bournemouth at home next in the league for us. At the same time you have Man U v Liverpool and Chelsea v spurs.

For our top 4 hopes you have to now cheer a Liverpool and spurs win, maybe a chelsea v spurs draw would be ok. We need to pick up some points on the others in the next 2 weeks. Must win our two home games which isn’t a gimme

Post #495157  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:53 pm 

Poch “ Do you think that we’re a team trying to cheat a referee? Come on, we’re one of the nicest teams on the pitch.”

Of course the media will swallow it all. Spurs have a group of consistent divers in their team, if Son was fouled today and instead got booked you have to think that it could be that he’s developing a reputation and often those players don’t get the right call each time. Kane and alli as well.

Post #495158  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I would also have a slight concern over his use of Guendouzi. The kid has been a revelation this season. A real success story. However, he is only 19 and I think there is a danger that he is being over-played and that there is too much responsibility being put on him. He looks like the type who can take that responsibility but he shouldn't have to. I would worry a bit about the amount of games he is playing though.

Indeed. I watched the Liverpool game yesterday and once they went 1-0 up it was a question of how many. The Bournemouth keeper had to be top of his game to keep it down to 3.

With Arsenal it is "whoa, how did that happen? Can we hang on til the end?"

Post #495159  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:35 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Chelsea are regressing into The Arsenal.

That will take a while, they've won 5 titles since we last did, at least Sarri might get sacked and more money made available at the end of the season, where as with us, as usual, it will be sell to buy and stick with the same manager (at least for one more season).

Post #495160  Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Well this is fun. Now it’s 4.

Great fun. Now it’s 6.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12376, 12377, 12378, 12379, 12380, 12381, 12382 ... 14269  Next