Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #495041  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The only hope I have is that if we could somehow sell Özil and Mustafi for 20 million each and maybe say Elneny for 10 we might be able to cobble together a budget of 100 million to bring in some of the players we so desperately need. Signing all 5 would be a stretch but you possibly could get 3 or 4

Chambers should probably go depending on the amount we can get - £20m? He's getting decent reviews at Fulham in a holding mid position, I'm just not convinced he's good enough for us. He would be useful right now to be able to cover RB and CB mind!

Post #495042  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:35 pm 

We didn't add Mavropanos to our Europa squad so we only have Sokratis, Kos, Mustafi as CBs for the rest of the Europa league campaign.

Post #495043  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
We didn't add Mavropanos to our Europa squad so we only have Sokratis, Kos, Mustafi as CBs for the rest of the Europa league campaign.

I read that Rich and was bemused as to why he was not included given the lack of quality and injuries we have in that area. There was talk a few weeks ago about how highly he was regarded but clearly not high enough to merit a place in the Europa squad, a competition which we need to have a right go at.

Another one of a number of baffling decisions from those in charge at the club.

Post #495044  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Chambers should probably go depending on the amount we can get - £20m? He's getting decent reviews at Fulham in a holding mid position, I'm just not convinced he's good enough for us. He would be useful right now to be able to cover RB and CB mind!

I've got relatives who support Fulham. Apparently he was a disaster in central defence. They've been terrible at the back this season and they say it was down to Chambers as much as anyone. If anybody thinks Mustafi is bad, count yourself lucky we haven't had Chambers instead. Having said that, he's been better in midfield.

Post #495045  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:00 pm 

Rich wrote:

Is Medley in it?

Post #495046  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Bellerin, Lacazette,Holding and Xhaka have all been noticeably better this season let’s be honest.

The defence was fine until the injuries hit. It’s a bit hard to press when you have a 33 year old left back, 33 year old centre back and 35 year old right back. You think that doesn’t make a difference ? Well it does

You have to include Mustafi as a player that improved too, until his injury. He's been poor since, but was part of the defence that you describe as fine until the injuries hit.

People are being too negative about Emery in my view. A number of existing players improved under him, I forgot to mention Iwobi who started well also despite falling away, and his new players have mostly done well (Guendouzi and Torreira way better than 'well'). Lichsteiner has been the exception, but was free, 34 and a one year fill in. What did people expect? He won't be an Arsenal player next season.

My main criticism of Emery has been deciding to play five at the back when four worked better. Yet he was left an unbalanced squad with various ordinary players with little money. Do people expect miracles? Özil was put on a huge contract before Emery arrived. Maybe he could have used him better, but he clearly doesn't fancy him. I think Emery has done more good than bad. He raised team spirit.

But the main problems were there before he arrived. If Kroenke isn't going to fund big money transfers, improviing things to the extent we want isn't going to happen overnight. People should be realistic. Sorting out Wenger's mess without big money isn't just a big job, it's a long job.

It isn't unrealistic to expect an improvement. That, after all, was the whole point of getting rid of Wenger. I thought our defending would improve. It hasn't. There was more grit about the team for a while but that seems to have disappeared. We have consistently put in totally ineffective first half performances. Why is that? I really hope things improve and Emery deserves another summer transfer window to change things. I'm not particularly confident that he will get things right. He seems to be a very conservative coach and hasn't managed to forge a cohesive attacking unit despite having some excellent creative players.

Post #495047  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
You have to include Mustafi as a player that improved too, until his injury. He's been poor since, but was part of the defence that you describe as fine until the injuries hit.

People are being too negative about Emery in my view. A number of existing players improved under him, I forgot to mention Iwobi who started well also despite falling away, and his new players have mostly done well (Guendouzi and Torreira way better than 'well'). Lichsteiner has been the exception, but was free, 34 and a one year fill in. What did people expect? He won't be an Arsenal player next season.

My main criticism of Emery has been deciding to play five at the back when four worked better. Yet he was left an unbalanced squad with various ordinary players with little money. Do people expect miracles? Özil was put on a huge contract before Emery arrived. Maybe he could have used him better, but he clearly doesn't fancy him. I think Emery has done more good than bad. He raised team spirit.

But the main problems were there before he arrived. If Kroenke isn't going to fund big money transfers, improviing things to the extent we want isn't going to happen overnight. People should be realistic. Sorting out Wenger's mess without big money isn't just a big job, it's a long job.

It isn't unrealistic to expect an improvement. That, after all, was the whole point of getting rid of Wenger. I thought our defending would improve. It hasn't. There was more grit about the team for a while but that seems to have disappeared. We have consistently put in totally ineffective first half performances. Why is that? I really hope things improve and Emery deserves another summer transfer window to change things. I'm not particularly confident that he will get things right. He seems to be a very conservative coach and hasn't managed to forge a cohesive attacking unit despite having some excellent creative players.

We’ve only got 7 players good enough in our entire squad when all fit and at the moment 3 of them are injured. Emery isn’t beyond criticism and has got some things wrong without question but to fail to see that he’s screwed right now is just so harsh.

On the creative front Ramsey wasn’t his issue and hasn’t provided many impressive games this year likely because he’s leaving and Özil aside I see few excellent creative players you seem to.

Were 5 points better off to where we were last year at this time with many difficult games played. No matter what anybody says we are improved this year

Post #495048  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm 

Cardiff city have gone public with the information that Nantes are asking them for payment for Sala which they are obviously entitled to.

Just when you thought football couldn’t get any lower

Post #495049  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Cardiff city have gone public with the information that Nantes are asking them for payment for Sala which they are obviously entitled to.

Love it when you or anyone posts their disdain but doesn't state what side they are coming down on?

Imo Nantes have a right to demand the money as soon as he put pen to paper and the club's agreed he became a Cardiff player. They should have insured him and made sure his transport was safe.

It is a shame they are arguing over such an issue but the matter has to be settled one way or another.

Post #495050  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Love it when you or anyone posts their disdain but doesn't state what side they are coming down on?

Imo Nantes have a right to demand the money as soon as he put pen to paper and the club's agreed he became a Cardiff player. They should have insured him and made sure his transport was safe.

It is a shame they are arguing over such an issue but the matter has to be settled one way or another.

No I agree totally. Cardiff leaked the information to bbc wales. Totally inappropriate

Nantes are 15th in lique 1, of course they want payment he wasnt their player anymore.

Post #495051  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
Darren wrote:
If you haven't listened to yesterdays bonus Arseblog Arsecast with David Ornstein, you really should. Gives an insight into what went on in January, the Mislintat situation, our finances etc. Well worth listening to.

Yep - listened this morning, it's very good. Ornstein reckons our summer budget is closer to £100m rather than £40m

He said including wages.

He's the clubs mouthpiece so the £100M is just spin - it's £45M + wages which is NOT £100M to spend on players in transfer fees!.

No doubt when things turn sour people will turn on Emery or Sanllehi, not the real problem which is and has always been Silent Stan.

And so the 'Wenger out' cycle continues as Arsenal slide further towards mediocrity. Our fans are too gullible.

Post #495052  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

No I agree totally. Cardiff leaked the information to bbc wales. Totally inappropriate

Nantes are 15th in lique 1, of course they want payment he wasnt their player anymore.

Agree with both of you. Nantes have every right to ask for the money and Cardiff should pay it. I will actually find it embarrassing for Cardiff if they try and get out of paying via a legal dispute, unless of course there's some background information we're not aware of.

Of course it is tragic the player died, but Cardiff had already signed him and apparently the transfer fee wasn't linked to him playing a certain number of games. I fail to see any reason why Cardiff shouldn't pay the transfer fee they agreed with Nantes.

Post #495053  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 am 

bubblechris wrote:

I think the side called Humanity is relevant here. Just think of the families and friends of the two men in that plane. Money and football - a combination that never ceases to degrade.

Post #495054  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am 

We’re the only side to not keep an away clean sheet. Won’t get a better chance than v Huddersfield.

Post #495055  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
We’re the only side to not keep an away clean sheet. Won’t get a better chance than v Huddersfield.

No chance :1laughter:

Post #495056  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

No chance :1laughter:

Well Mustafi is doubtful. So there's hope.

Post #495057  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:26 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I think the side called Humanity is relevant here. Just think of the families and friends of the two men in that plane. Money and football - a combination that never ceases to degrade.

Surely in this tragic situation UEFA or FIFA should step in and cover whatever costs have been incurred to the clubs. Both organisations awash with money so they could any arguments about monies owing/owed to bed immediately and saves the families of the victims additional grief.

Post #495058  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:55 pm 

tomc wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Surely in this tragic situation UEFA or FIFA should step in and cover whatever costs have been incurred to the clubs. Both organisations awash with money so they could any arguments about monies owing/owed to bed immediately and saves the families of the victims additional grief.

Cardiff will have insurance anyway. It’s all irrelevant and classless by Cardiff.

Post #495059  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:02 pm 

tomc wrote:

I don't get that at all. Why should they, whether UEFA & FIFA are awash with money or not?

Post #495060  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm 

Listening to Emery reminds me of the old sketch where Eric Morecambe says “I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order”.

I recognise each of Unai’s words but at the end of each sentence I’m left thinking “what did he just say?”.

His latest interview on Sky Sports is a great example of this.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... y-day-woes

Post #495061  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

I don't get that at all. Why should they, whether UEFA & FIFA are awash with money or not?

Gesture of goodwill? Show that UEFA and FIFA have a heart after years of stories of corruption and lies?

Just my opinion Bernard.

Post #495062  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:04 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Gesture of goodwill? Show that UEFA and FIFA have a heart after years of stories of corruption and lies?

Just my opinion Bernard.

Cardiff city are contractually obliged to pay Nantes 15 million quid. It has nothing to do with fifa or anyone else.

Try telling your mortgage company things were tight over Christmas so you will be missing this months payment and see how far you get.

Post #495063  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Just my opinion Bernard.

Cardiff city are contractually obliged to pay Nantes 15 million quid. It has nothing to do with fifa or anyone else.

Try telling your mortgage company things were tight over Christmas so you will be missing this months payment and see how far you get.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Post #495064  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Just my opinion Bernard.

Mind you I might try that line with HSBC and see what the response is.

Post #495065  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Listening to Emery reminds me of the old sketch where Eric Morecambe says “I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order”. I recognise each of Unai’s words but at the end of each sentence I’m left thinking “what did he just say?”.
He seems a decent enough bloke, and I suppose should be judged on his football management abilities, but it has to be said he is a communications disaster area. When you think of the loquacity of Bertie Mee and Terry Neill; the dour clarity of Don Howe and George Graham; and the humour of Arsene Wenger, poor old Dick is way behind. I think even Ossie Ardiles was more understandable.

Post #495066  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:46 pm 

tomc wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

The clubs should be able to sort it out themselves, but in a desperate time for both families, a bit of button-lip from them both wouldn't hurt. After all, there will still be a thing called money in a few weeks time - it won't go out of fashion.

Post #495067  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
tomc wrote:
The clubs should be able to sort it out themselves, but in a desperate time for both families, a bit of button-lip from them both wouldn't hurt. After all, there will still be a thing called money in a few weeks time - it won't go out of fashion.

I'm with you Old Man. It's all about timing and this is just crass from both of them at this moment in time.

Post #495068  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm 

Darren wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I'm with you Old Man. It's all about timing and this is just crass from both of them at this moment in time.

It's really poor behaviour from Cardiff to use the circumstances of the man's death as an excuse for delaying making the payment.

Post #495069  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Listening to Emery reminds me of the old sketch where Eric Morecambe says “I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order”.

I recognise each of Unai’s words but at the end of each sentence I’m left thinking “what did he just say?”.

His latest interview on Sky Sports is a great example of this.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... y-day-woes

:laughing7:

That is spot-on, ltg.

No wonder the players haven't got a clue what they are doing. Imagine the team talks.

Post #495070  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:48 pm 

socrates wrote:
That is spot-on, ltg.

No wonder the players haven't got a clue what they are doing. Imagine the team talks.

How much difference would it really make to a team where my guess is English is only a fairly small minority of their first language?

With Emery's English not being that wide at the time of his appointment, I don't think it's that bad. I can understand him anyway. How long was it before Pochetinno started giving interviews without inperpreters, and he didn't do and hasn't done too badly?

Post #495071  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 am 

I don't always know precisely what Emery is saying in his television interviews, but I would be amazed if the players really struggled to understand him on the training ground. Quite simply you don't hire a £4million year head coach, responsible for the fortunes of a billion pound football team if no one will can understand him. I would hope its not beyond the wit of all those in charge to have a permanent translator on hand if this were the case. I know a few English/Spanish speakers who would happily do the job for £250 a day!

Post #495072  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 am 

So we are criticising Emery’s English now. That’s where we are

He’s so finished

Post #495073  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:00 am 

Greeny wrote:
In the summer we need wholesale changes
Emery is more than adequate
Kroenke is the enemy

How can there be wholesale changes if Kroenke only authorises around £40m plus wages in transfer fees? So I make you right. People can drone on all they like about replacing various players and no doubt there will be some ins and outs. But 'wholesale changes'? Expectng that is somewhat fanciful in my view.

Post #495074  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

He’s so finished

I think some people are just trying to come up with reasons why the team is not progressing as they had hoped. Personally, I think his communication skills is pretty low down the list of reasons why the teams evolution is not living up to supporters expectations. As long as the players can understand him and I'm sure they can, whether we can fully understand him is not really relevant.

Post #495075  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

He’s so finished

Brexit Britain.

Post #495076  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:44 pm 

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So we are criticising Emery’s English now. That’s where we are. He’s so finished
I think some people are just trying to come up with reasons why the team is not progressing as they had hoped. Personally, I think his communication skills is pretty low down the list of reasons why the teams evolution is not living up to supporters expectations. As long as the players can understand him and I'm sure they can, whether we can fully understand him is not really relevant.
I was expecting no more in his first season than top six and a decent run in the cups, so generally speaking on the playing side Dick is par for my course. Objectively we are rightly behind five better teams in the League, and went out to two of them in the cups. So in my book he is no disaster, yet. I yet because I see no signs of improvements defensively or organisationally than under Arsene. I also can't fathom the Özil business. As for his communication skills, they are just amusing. And as Arsenal fans, if the Tiny Totts aren't available as a target, we have to laugh at something. Perhaps Dick needs to buy an unzippable puffa jacket to divert attention from his chaotic English? Any old how, a European trophy would not be lost in translation.

Post #495077  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:46 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So we are criticising Emery’s English now. That’s where we are. He’s so finished
Brexit Britain.
Perhaps if Mrs May sent Dick over to meet Barnier, Tusk et al, he might confuse them enough to say yes to deal changes?

Post #495078  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:17 pm 

I love the idea that Wenger and his zip issues were just a clever ruse to deflect attention away from his teams deficiencies.

Post #495079  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:42 pm 

Shock News From The Emirates.

'Silent' Stan Kroenke, stung by the criticism that he is a bit tight around the pound note, made a move that has sent tremors through English football. At 4.30 today Arsenal F.C. issued the following press release:

'Unai Emery has been replaced as manager with immediate effect by former fan favourite Giovanni Van Broker. This is the first part of a strategy to get the club back where it belongs, at the pinnacle of the game. Owner Stan Kroenke has taken stock of the team's current position and shares the concerns and disappointment of the Emirates faithful with the below average performances. The owner has decided to build a new team in line with his own values. This will involve a radical shake up of personnel and an unashamed attempt to lure some of The Premiership biggest names to Islington. Vast salaries will be on offer to players with the right names. More will be revealed early next week.'

Our sources tell us Mr. Kroenke's dream team is a combination of a few seasoned men and dynamic younger ones. A handwritten list seen on Mr. Kroenke's desk has led to much speculation. His dream team consists of:

Yens Lehmann

Luke Offshore
Kieran Asset Strippier
Vincent Kompany

Samir NASDAQ
Ian Sell-Off
Bernardo Silver
Dealer Alli

Raheem Sterling
Mohamed Seller
Sadio Money

To assist manager Van Broker, and also to keep some control over costs, Kroenke is strongly rumored to be ready to offer Danny Drinkwater the number two job.

Post #495080  Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
That is spot-on, ltg.

How much difference would it really make to a team where my guess is English is only a fairly small minority of their first language?

With Emery's English not being that wide at the time of his appointment, I don't think it's that bad. I can understand him anyway. How long was it before Pochetinno started giving interviews without inperpreters, and he didn't do and hasn't done too badly?

It was just a biit of light-hearted banter Bernard, I don't really think his english is an issue. Several of the squad speak spanish anyway so I'm sure he can get his messages across.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12374, 12375, 12376, 12377, 12378, 12379, 12380 ... 14269  Next