Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 93 guests

Post #494001  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Oh well another ten years of finishing 5th then.

He’s a person with zero understanding about football and I bet he doesn’t even check for our result. He’s left games at half time and football isn’t the same as any other business. Acquiring a football team isn’t the same as owning a vineyard or restaurant it’s completley evolving

It's deeply depressing prospect, isn't it TG?

As I say, I have no problem with a 'self-sustaining' strategy per se. Man U is run on self-sustaining lines. The Owners have put in absolutely nothing (quite the reverse) and the Club carries enormous debt - but nobody worries because the borrowing is backed up by the capital value of the business and it's capacity and track record on revenue generation. We don't have anywhere near their revenue capabilities but then we only carry a tiny fraction of their debt in terms of percentage of the club's value. There's no business reason why we can't raise funds by borrowing. If the club has a healthy trading position - and we do - astute and targetted borrowing can significantly enhance the position.

Investment can (many say 'should) be based on borrowing. It's how businesses grow.

Especially with interest rates what they are. Arsenal sadly have repeatedly squandered the opportunities created by their success and location. Very British, as you say. The kind of thing that got Keynes so exercised back in the 1920s.

Post #494002  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Now he owns the club completely, Kroenke doesn't have to answer anything. My bet would be on a carefully worded 'we are ambitious and want to win trophies' type statement. I'll be surprised if we get much more than that.

After the spurs match I posted that we would be getting Kroenke out protests within 24 months. I stand by this prediction.

You weren't tempted to take a few days off with the predictions after your 'James is a done deal - you'd be mad not to trust The Mirror' on Monday?

Post #494003  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

After the spurs match I posted that we would be getting Kroenke out protests within 24 months. I stand by this prediction.

You weren't tempted to take a few days off with the predictions after your 'James is a done deal - you'd be mad not to trust The Mirror' on Monday?

The James thing was a joke. Sarcasticly pretending to believe it for a laugh because it was so absurd.

We are getting Kroenke protests soon though trust me

Post #494004  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:02 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Oh well another ten years of finishing 5th then.

He’s a person with zero understanding about football and I bet he doesn’t even check for our result. He’s left games at half time and football isn’t the same as any other business. Acquiring a football team isn’t the same as owning a vineyard or restaurant it’s completley evolving

As I say, I have no problem with a 'self-sustaining' strategy per se. Man U is run on self-sustaining lines.

Totally DHD your observations are spot on.

The thing is our situation is very similar to Man U except there’s 2 slight differences

1) their owners are slightly more engaged than Kroenke attending matches and are generally more bought into their investment and the overall club

2) united are a commercial powerhouse with huge revenue from many areas. Their owners don’t need to put cash in and their borrowing can be easily serviced whilst be successful with the right manager. This simply isn’t arsenal and if we are servicing Kroenkes borrowing with our own cash it will affect our ability to recruit players.

It will turn toxic. If 2 tickets to watch FC Qarabag cost 70 quid people will stop going. It’s not good value

The team needs probably a 200 million investment in new players to compete. Given our budget was 70 this summer we have a turning circle of 2 or more likely 3 years before we challenge again. People will grow impatient with Emery.

Post #494005  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:25 pm 

The Glazers operate Man U in a similar fashion to Kroenke's management of Arsenal. Actually they are worse, but because Man U have such huge revenue they can remain as financially competitive as anyone.

I've never understood why Arsenal held such huge cash reserves. Makes no financial sense.

Post #494006  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

As I say, I have no problem with a 'self-sustaining' strategy per se. Man U is run on self-sustaining lines.

It will turn toxic. If 2 tickets to watch FC Qarabag cost 70 quid people will stop going. It’s not good value

Dooomed!!!

By the way, I saw your post about the Qarrierbag tickets - not sure where you bought them but Club Level apart, the most expensive seats in the stadium were freely available at about £23. Cheapest were about £15 yet there were barely 15,000 in the stadium.

Post #494007  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:54 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Dooomed!!!

By the way, I saw your post about the Qarrierbag tickets - not sure where you bought them but Club Level apart, the most expensive seats in the stadium were freely available at about £23. Cheapest were about £15 yet there were barely 15,000 in the stadium.

I didn’t buy them in the end but the day before the game I went online and checked availability and for 2 tickets near the corner in the lower I was being quoted something like 70 quid I vaguely recall. It certainly wasn’t 25 a pop because I called a mate to see if he fancied it. He didn’t as he was on a promise from some bird that night or something . I’m not making it up. I don’t know if it was more expensive because it was last minute.com but struck me as a lot. Considering what the game represented.

Post #494008  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm 

dec wrote:
The Glazers operate Man U in a similar fashion to Kroenke's management of Arsenal. Actually they are worse, but because Man U have such huge revenue they can remain as financially competitive as anyone.

I've never understood why Arsenal held such huge cash reserves. Makes no financial sense.

Wasn’t there a suggestion it’s a condition of the stadium loan?

I can’t imagine that’s something that cant be renegotiated however if we took the 150 million out of the bank and spent it there’s no guarantee even that would bring success we are so far behind.

Kroenke probably has to keep it in reserve as security on the financing to build that stadium in LA for all we know.

Post #494009  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Dooomed!!!

I didn’t buy them in the end but the day before the game I went online and checked availability and for 2 tickets near the corner in the lower I was being quoted something like 70 quid I vaguely recall. It certainly wasn’t 25 a pop because I called a mate to see if he fancied it. He didn’t as he was on a promise from some bird that night or something . I’m not making it up. I don’t know if it was more expensive because it was last minute.com but struck me as a lot. Considering what the game represented.

In that location, you - or anyone - could have bought tickets from the Club as a non-member for about £15. If you join as a Red Member, they'd have been even cheaper. Once in, you could've sat wherever you wanted since the place was almost empty.

Post #494010  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

In that location, you - or anyone - could have bought tickets from the Club as a non-member for about £15. If you join as a Red Member, they'd have been even cheaper. Once in, you could've sat wherever you wanted since the place was almost empty.

Really? something must have been wrong with the online store. I saw the goomer complaining about problems with it this week. I’m a member and that wasn’t the price being quoted.

Post #494011  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
What a mess.

I’d rather have hicks and gillet or an owner investing in the club rather than one who just wants to take our cash for profit. Kroenke out.

I would probably rather have Jack the Ripper as the owner than Stan Kroenke. And that's despite nobody truly knowing who Jack the Ripper was, despite all the theories naming different people that may well have been formulated to sell books and get people watching television documentaries. Also, despite the fact that whoever it was, Jack the Ripper will be dead by now. If the murderer was about 30 when he committed the crimes he'd have been born over 161 years ago, and nobody lives anything like that old. Moreover, don't forget that life expectancy back then was much lower than now.

I'd even take Al Capone at this point. RIP Big Guy. :1laughter:

Post #494012  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 pm 

Cesc Fabregas left british football this week without much comment on here so I’ll just say that I believe that he was the last truly great midfielder we have had.

We have had great midfielders like Cazorla since but nobody who literally did it week in week out like Cesc. The way he could take the weight off a pass was perfect. The bbc seem are saying he statistically created more goal scoring chances than any other player in the premiership. This wouldn’t surprise me.

Arsene was crazy not to exercise our clause to resign him and the real sadness was the way he slumped at Barca (like he was always going to) and ended up at that lot.

Post #494013  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Cesc Fabregas left british football this week without much comment on here so I’ll just say that I believe that he was the last truly great midfielder we have had.

We have had great midfielders like Cazorla since but nobody who literally did it week in week out like Cesc. The way he could take the weight off a pass was perfect. The bbc seem are saying he statistically created more goal scoring chances than any other player in the premiership. This wouldn’t surprise me.

Arsene was crazy not to exercise our clause to resign him and the real sadness was the way he slumped at Barca (like he was always going to) and ended up at that lot.

Agree completely about your assessment of him as a player for us. Best player we've had since the invincibles, and it's not even close. In his prime he could completely take over a game.

Disagree completely that we should've sign him when he went to Chelsea. Came into a very good Chelsea side that inflated his stats to begin with, but he was always just a shell of his former self with them.

Post #494014  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Agree completely about your assessment of him as a player for us. Best player we've had since the invincibles, and it's not even close. In his prime he could completely take over a game.

Disagree completely that we should've sign him when he went to Chelsea. Came into a very good Chelsea side that inflated his stats to begin with, but he was always just a shell of his former self with them.

He wasn’t in his prime at Chelsea but he never really suited their style which is all action press.

He signed for Chelsea at 27 years old for 30 million and we didn’t sign him because we had Ramsey and Özil.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27819204

.. the reality was even outside his peak he was a better player than both and if he had joined us then we would still be trying to keep him even now.

I think his spell at Barca damaged his career looking back which was a shame but not our fault

Post #494015  Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 pm 

Protests?, maybe on a small scale but nothing like enough to dislodge the tumour. I suspect KSE will reduce ticket pricing in an attempt to fill the bowl, afterall ticket revenue is becoming a smaller factor now, that will probably be enough to appease enough fans to accept their new status as supporters of a midtable club.

Long term hopefully commercial and TV revenues take a huge hit as our status declines and at that point his 'investment' may start to devalue, maybe he will try and sell then, more likely if the football bubble bursts at some point.

In the meantime lets all be proud of our self sustaining model (of midtable obscurity) or just not bother being that interested, I mean he isn't, so why should we?.

Post #494016  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:27 am 

Had no idea Nasri ended up at West Ham...oh how low the mighty have fallen.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nasri-cried-th ... 4l_2kv0DLg

Post #494017  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:33 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Had no idea Nasri ended up at West Ham...oh how low the mighty have fallen.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nasri-cried-th ... 4l_2kv0DLg

Well considering he’s just coming back from 18 month doping ban it is better to be at a EPL club than in the Turkish league or something.

And I suspect that since he left us his 2 premiership medals give him some consolation when he is sitting counting his money.

Post #494018  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 am 

You just know that Nasri is scoring today

Post #494019  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I agree, class player.

Post #494020  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:24 am 

Rich wrote:
You just know that Nasri is scoring today

Hopefully Arnautovic will not start with all the China rumours surrounding him.

Post #494021  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 am 

Özil dropped again. It’s just crazy, what on Earth is going on.

Post #494022  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Bellerin, Monreal back on the bench.
We have our 3 most senior CB today, can they contain arnautovic, Anderson and nasri? Aubameyang and Lacazette should easily have the beating of ogbonna and diop but only if we give them service and play with purpose going forward

Post #494023  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 pm 

The only conclusion on Özil is we must be literally trying to force him out of the club by not playing him now. I don’t know if they are trying to flog him to China or something to free up wages to bring other players in

Post #494024  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The only conclusion on Özil is we must be literally trying to force him out of the club by not playing him now. I don’t know if they are trying to flog him to China or something to free up wages to bring other players in

They maybe trying to force him to move but he has 350 big reasons to remain & If it was me I would do just as Ospina Jenkinson & Debuchy have done & just turn up to training and collect my money & check out the new car ads. What would you do?

Post #494025  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I heard the announcer say he had a problem with his knee - or maybe he said 'need'.

Post #494026  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:56 pm 

I moved house over Christmas - been pretty busy of late.

Just had Optus cable hooked up last Tuesday and it includes the Optus Sports pack.

Watching the game on my HD projector now. 3.2 Meter picture ;-)

Post #494027  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:58 pm 

Some of our passing can be so sloppy and casual. That is nothing to do with the manager or the training it’s just poor footballers

Post #494028  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 pm 

Soppy play again giving West Ham encouragement.

Absolutely no link from midfield to attack. Zero creativity on the pitch

Post #494029  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:17 pm 

Boring football

ZZZZ

Post #494030  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:19 pm 

warrior wrote:

Just had Optus cable hooked up last Tuesday and it includes the Optus Sports pack.

I’ll bet that really enhanced the whole mediocre experience of that half for you :icon_mrgreen1: :icon_mrgreen1: :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #494031  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm 

I was glad to see John Moss appointed for this game because the game has been crap & his ref performance is crap as well. Misses so much . Guendouzi was totally man handled & play on. A bit of equilibrium terrible game terrible ref.

Post #494032  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm 

Tight game, good first 15 then West Ham came more into it. Defence has been pretty solid, Sokratis has stood out for me. Hopefully we can turn it up in the second half.

Post #494033  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
Soppy play again giving West Ham encouragement.

Absolutely no link from midfield to attack. Zero creativity on the pitch

Playing with 3 centre backs again. Makes it harder to control midfield. Dropping Özil is a total nonsense.

Post #494034  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:27 pm 

Ash wrote:
warrior wrote:

I’ll bet that really enhanced the whole mediocre experience of that half for you :icon_mrgreen1: :icon_mrgreen1: :icon_mrgreen1:

Yeah - Rivetting. :icon_eek1:

Post #494035  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I was glad to see John Moss appointed for this game because the game has been crap & his ref performance is crap as well. Misses so much . Guendouzi was totally man handled & play on. A bit of equilibrium terrible game terrible ref.

Not just me that spots it then. Guendouzi was continually fouled and ended up having to pass it back which put our back 3 under pressure. That isn’t playing an advantage. Give me mike dean over Jon Moss any day. They guy simply doesn’t understand the game

Post #494036  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:36 pm 

Again an arsenal player is fouled and nothing, play goes on and arsenal now foul and Moss has no problem giving that one.
West Ham are seemingly allowed to be all over an arsenal player in possession

Post #494037  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:37 pm 

Oh dear ...

Post #494038  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:37 pm 

1-0 that’s what you get for being sloppy.

Post #494039  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:39 pm 

Well that was predictable :20hospitals:

Post #494040  Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:39 pm 

It’s just awful. Xhaka tried to cushion a header down in his own box. No one trying with any intent to close down the box

Zero creativity and indivual mistakes in defence. Terrible performance so far. Ditch the 3 at the back. If an extra defender is needed for defensive stability it isn’t working. Get to 4 at the back. If we can’t defend then just attack

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12348, 12349, 12350, 12351, 12352, 12353, 12354 ... 14269  Next