Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 102 guests

Post #492681  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 pm 

Niall wrote:
Niall wrote:
Quiz question: When did Arsenal last score twice in the league at OT?

Scrub that, I just saw the answer. I had erased that game from memory.

I was going to say, it was quite recent.

Post #492682  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:
Scrub that, I just saw the answer. I had erased that game from memory.

I was going to say, it was quite recent.

Yeah I thought it was at least 20 years ago.

Post #492683  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:38 pm 

A decent point really as Manchester United were much improved tonight. If that came from a direct consequence of dropping Pogba and Lukaku, then credit to Mourinho. Not a bad display from us, but really frustrating to concede their equalisers so quickly after scoring. Ridiculously quickly after the second.

I didn't think there were any bad displays by Arsenal players, though in my view Guendouzi and Torreira were a cut above the rest. I think we missed Xhaka today, and for our most important games I'd like to see Guendouzi, Torreira and Xhaka in the same team. I hope Özil isn't finished at the club. We needed his creativity today.

Post #492684  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:39 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Niall wrote:

Thanks Niall. 11 long years. What a job Emery has done so far.

Yes he has been superb. No complaints thus far.

Post #492685  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
A decent point really as Manchester United were much improved tonight. If that came from a direct consequence of dropping Pogba and Lukaku, then credit to Mourinho. Not a bad display from us, but really frustrating to concede their equalisers so quickly after scoring. Ridiculously quickly after the second.

I didn't think there were any bad displays by Arsenal players, though in my view Guendouzi and Torreira were a cut above the rest. I think we missed Xhaka today, and for our most important games I'd like to see Guendouzi, Torreira and Xhaka in the same team. I hope Özil isn't finished at the club. We needed his creativity today.

Agree with all that, I also thought Aubameyang was excellent second half and is a better all round player than I thought when we signed him.

Post #492686  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:48 pm 

socrates wrote:
Another thing I find hugely frustrating is Guendouzi's tendency to fall over when under pressure in dangerous areas and try to buy a foul. He's a top top talent but he can't keep doing it because he's not going to get away with it forever.

It takes a very experienced player to buy a foul in those situations

Post #492687  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:09 am 

If a gkhas it in one hand, can a player head it out of his hand like Lacazette did? What is the rule against this?

Post #492688  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 am 

Emery's Arsenal unlucky tonight. Totally undermined by injuries, Rojo could have been sent off twice. Fellaini's hair pull is technically a red. Lacazette's goal not illegal. Herrera offside for Utd. Typical for an away team at OT. With VAR we win the game by two or three goals. Can't wait for it to come in.

More worried about Holding's injury. Sounds like a serious one, just as he was establishing himself as nailed on first choice. Who knows how long til Kos is really fit...do we then have to dip into Mavropanos when he's fit, or Plezeguelo or even Zech Medley? Whether its recalling Chambers or a signing, if Holding is out for a long time another centre half in January is vital.

Post #492689  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 am 

Rich wrote:
If a gkhas it in one hand, can a player head it out of his hand like Lacazette did? What is the rule against this?

It is against the rules. From the laws of the game:

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:
• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands
or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper
has made a save
• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
• bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of
the ball with the hands.

Post #492690  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:51 am 

And yes, forgot to mention Holding yesterday. Gutted if it's a bad injury, he was having a fine season. Hate when that happens to young players who are playing themselves into the team.

Post #492691  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 am 

lomekian wrote:
With VAR we win the game by two or three goals. Can't wait for it to come in.

do we then have to dip into Mavropanos when he's fit, or Plezeguelo or even Zech Medley

Isn't VAR supposed to change clear errors, or whatever the terminology is? With United's first equaliser, the bloke who set up the scorer was technically offside. But it was so tight that by what I think of as clear or obvious, it wasn't.

I was really impressed with Medley when he came on as a sub in Kiev. But you've probably seen more of him than me and you sound less keen. Did his appearance that day give me a false impression of him?

Post #492692  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:43 am 

Nobody mentioned the first goal. Blatant dive but not shown again so can't be 100%. Agree with Lom we really need VAR butcwould it have been used forcthecfree kick?

Post #492693  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:56 am 

lomekian wrote:
Emery's Arsenal unlucky tonight. Totally undermined by injuries, Rojo could have been sent off twice. Fellaini's hair pull is technically a red. Lacazette's goal not illegal. Herrera offside for Utd. Typical for an away team at OT. With VAR we win the game by two or three goals. Can't wait for it to come in.

More worried about Holding's injury. Sounds like a serious one, just as he was establishing himself as nailed on first choice. Who knows how long til Kos is really fit...do we then have to dip into Mavropanos when he's fit, or Plezeguelo or even Zech Medley? Whether its recalling Chambers or a signing, if Holding is out for a long time another centre half in January is vital.

I agree about Rojo, although to be fair Torreira probably got way with a few yellow card challenges.

Post #492694  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 am 

lomekian wrote:

I think a top quality CB is one of a few key signings we need to make to move the team up a level but I suspect that unless diamond eye has identified someone flying under the radar it may be too much to hope for a topclass CB in January.

Post #492695  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:02 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Nobody mentioned the first goal. Blatant dive but not shown again so can't be 100%. Agree with Lom we really need VAR butcwould it have been used forcthecfree kick?

I don't think it can, otherwise you would consulting VAR about indiscretions most of the match. What might work is if a team has say three challenges they can use during a game. If their challenege proves correct they retain all three but if not they lose one etc. Problem is the time element, do we really want to be stopping and starting the game every time a team makes a challenge.

Post #492696  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 am 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Agree with all that, I also thought Aubameyang was excellent second half and is a better all round player than I thought when we signed him.

I think it was a given that a) Man U would be much improved, certainly in work rate and b) Arsenal wouldn't be able to reach the heights of energy and tempo seen vs spurs.
It was probably easier for Man U to get up for last nights game given we were the opposition, it became a matter of pride for them.

Worried about the injuries stacking up, We're down to the bare bones in defence and a new CB has become the priority in the January window

Post #492697  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 am 

I thought Kolasinac was pretty good last night despite his error. He's very powerful on the overlap and although some of his final balls were a little wayward he looked more of a threat than Bellerin.

Post #492698  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am 

DHD wrote:
Pulling hair foul to stop an opponent????

Aren’t there precedents for a red card?

Indeed there are:

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/arsenal-leicester-establish-ban-precedent-for-fellaini-pulling-guendouzis-hair/

Fellaini has previous.

Post #492699  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 am 

DHD wrote:
DHD wrote:
Pulling hair foul to stop an opponent????

Aren’t there precedents for a red card?

Indeed there are:

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/arsenal-leicester-establish-ban-precedent-for-fellaini-pulling-guendouzis-hair/

Fellaini has previous.

Do we have any faith in the FA to be consistent with a clearly set precedent? I'd be amazed if Fellaini gets a ban

Post #492700  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 am 

Next 4: Huddersfield (h), Southampton (a), Burnley (h), Brighton (a). Really need to push on and get 4 wins from 4 from these.

Post #492701  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:08 am 

There was clear contact by Guendozi on Martial. Martial made the most of it, but it's a definite free kick in my book. Would've been furious if we didn't get a free kick in a similiar situation.

Fellaini should definitely be suspended though. Such a nothing player, only thing he contributes with is being tall and getting away with a lot of fouls.

Guendozi had an interesting game. I thought he started quite poorly but really grew into the game. For such a young and inexperienced player the way he wants to constantly get involved even in a big game like this is impressive. Never satisfied with being a passenger.

Post #492702  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 am 

I take it you don't have a link?

Post #492703  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 am 

Rich wrote:

Worried about the injuries stacking up, We're down to the bare bones in defence and a new CB has become the priority in the January window

I thouht I read that Kos should/could be back on Saturday........................

Post #492704  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 am 

Mustafi, Sokratis and Torreira are 1 yellow card away from a 1 game suspension. Cards don't get wiped until Dec 31st, so 5 more games to navigate. If Holding is out for a while we need Koscielny back asap

Post #492705  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:31 am 

Immensely proud of the players for what can only be described as an impressive display this week. They have fought for everything and it was the first display at old Trafford in many years when we actually competed and I thought we should have won the game.

Shout out for Mhikitaryan who did well when he came on I thought as well as the others like Guendozi who was also superb.

Were are competing in these difficult games now and the turnaround Emery has providedis remarkable.

For the first time in years this is a team you can get behind.

Post #492706  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Immensely proud of the players for what can only be described as an impressive display this week. They have fought for everything and it was the first display at old Trafford in many years when we actually competed and I thought we should have won the game.

Shout out for Mhikitaryan who did well when he came on I thought as well as the others like Guendozi who was also superb.

Were are competing in these difficult games now and the turnaround Emery has providedis remarkable.

For the first time in years this is a team you can get behind.

About to watch the game but have to agree. Seeing a 2 - 2 result at OT Is nothing to be sniffed at. They always get the rub of the green up there regardless of how they play before or during the match. Emery's first season and huge strides forward from the previous pillock. 4 points from Totts at home and Man U away. A draw vs Liverpool. We're competing with those top rivals that always used to crumble against.

Post #492707  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am 

Rich wrote:
Next 4: Huddersfield (h), Southampton (a), Burnley (h), Brighton (a). Really need to push on and get 4 wins from 4 from these.

That would leave us with 43 points at the halfway mark, which would be an incredible step forward. Even losing one of those games and winning the three others would leave us on pace for 80 points. I would've bitten the hand off of anyone who offered that at the start of the season.

Post #492708  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:30 am 

Rich wrote:

Soton away is never easy...for us or or for most clubs. Like you, I'd love 4 wins but 3 wins and a draw wouldn't surprise me.

Post #492709  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am 

What's the word on the knocks and injuries that happened last night? I hope nothing serious.

Post #492710  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:32 am 

And now having watched it, bloody unlucky not to win.
Emery came in, added some hardness and experience to the defence and look at the result. Something us ignorant fans without 20 years of experience could see for a decade. Like most have said, still a work in progress but a team who give their all and what more to expect.

Post #492711  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:35 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

That would leave us with 43 points at the halfway mark, which would be an incredible step forward. Even losing one of those games and winning the three others would leave us on pace for 80 points. I would've bitten the hand off of anyone who offered that at the start of the season.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #492712  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 am 

No mention on Ref Watch of the foul leading to the first goal.

It is mentioned on other forums and the link about Fellaini.

Post #492713  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 am 

socrates wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I don't think it can, otherwise you would consulting VAR about indiscretions most of the match. What might work is if a team has say three challenges they can use during a game. If their challenege proves correct they retain all three but if not they lose one etc. Problem is the time element, do we really want to be stopping and starting the game every time a team makes a challenge.

No. VAR is enough.

Post #492714  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:51 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Grim, as always, listening to McManaman. Moaning whinging git. Nothing is ever up to his exacting standards. Adds nothing to the commentary that is of any value.

Thought he was kind of a dick of a player too with an overinflated reputation.

Post #492715  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm 

One main thing Emery has brought in is hunger though. Because the players know that anyone of them can be dragged off at any time even at half time so they seem to be giving 100%. This simple thing has increased competition for places and everybody is fighting for the result now. It’s visible

Penny for your thoughts Arsene on this weeks performances

Also the 70 million we spent on leno and the new signings looks staggeringly good value.

Post #492716  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 pm 

The premier league have given our second goal as an own goal, but there are replays doing the rounds on the internet that clearly show the final touch coming off Lacazette’s shin as he is tackled.

Perhaps Lacazette should swear on his kids life it touched him last and the premier league can change their mind and award it to him..... :icon_eek1:

Post #492717  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:07 pm 

Spurs only had 33,000 in at Wembley last night. That’s fewer than they got in the old white hart lane.

Post #492718  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:49 pm 

I'm going to come off as a worry wort but I think we may see performances fall off in the upcoming games. We have just had 2 emotionally and physically taxing matches. Most players won't get up for a Huddersfield Town. However, a Huddersfield Town will be up for a big club at the Emirates. I think the squad may struggle at the start and we may even find ourselves in the all too common occurrence these days of being down a goal in the first half.
We will beat them. It's Soton away that worries me.

Post #492719  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:38 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
socrates wrote:

No. VAR is enough.

Indeed. And the goal would have been disqualified with VAR due to the offside.

Post #492720  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:23 pm 

Really recommend this, it's a translated interview with Sven Mislintat. Talks about his general approach to scouting but also goes in-depth about certain players like Guendozi.

Sven Mislintat wrote:
Guendouzi stud out with his long hair and his personality. But I also concentrated on his weaknesses. Are they trainable? Matteo ran unnecessarily across the whole pitch, but I was sure: It's only a matter of training and time, before he learns when to run.

This is something I've thought about when watching Guendozi as well. His positioning isn't great yet and he sometimes gets in the way of other players because he tries to be everywhere at the same time, but those are all qualities you can learn. He's got so much of the stuff you can't teach, so much natural ability that if he's just properly coached he's bound to become absolutely top class.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12315, 12316, 12317, 12318, 12319, 12320, 12321 ... 14269  Next