Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 88 guests

Post #491881  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:41 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
https://www.caughtoffside.com/2018/11/08/arsenal-fans-fume-at-henrikh-mkhitaryan-form-vs-sporting/

what I've been saying for a long time too

he is really a waste of space, and not half as hard working as Alexis

I think he flatters to deceive. He can sometime move he ball around quite nicely but he seems to lack that final assist and doesn’t get himself into scoring positions enough.

Post #491882  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 am 

We didn't lose. 3 straight draws and 2 of them we outplayed the opposition and deserved the win. I'll take that kind of draw any day of the week if we have to draw.

We threw together a bunch of players who didn't play together and it was like one of our old league cup matches when we played the kids. What I liked about Emery was he was going to make sure they earned their draw and we had opportunities. Unfortunately it wasn't our day (or rather night). We will go through and we look good in the competition. No problems there.

Post #491883  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 am 

I know this won't be popular but with Welbeck out and Chelsea rumored to be looking to get rid of Giroud despite what the manager says, why not bring him back for a year or two? He's 31. Always been a great sub off the bench.

I still think we can do much better on the right than Mhykatairan. His last two matches he's been better than his start with us but I don't think he'll do any better. Either one of the younger players or a much better winger.

Post #491884  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:52 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I know this won't be popular but with Welbeck out and Chelsea rumored to be looking to get rid of Giroud despite what the manager says, why not bring him back for a year or two? He's 31. Always been a great sub off the bench.

I still think we can do much better on the right than Mhykatairan. His last two matches he's been better than his start with us but I don't think he'll do any better. Either one of the younger players or a much better winger.

Start to bring the younger players in, or buy a top class replacement. Getting Giroud back is deja-vu, something that old guard would do (hint: you know him :42laughter: )

Post #491885  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:02 am 

Gutted for Welbeck.

I wonder what this means for him now. Hes out of contract in the summer and palace were rumoured to be after him in January. This might lead him to need to renew his contract as he won’t be able to find a new club whilst having such a serious injury.

Also do wonder if the club may need into the market in January. Having only 2 strikers probably isn’t enough considering the amount of games we will have to play after December

Post #491886  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:36 am 

I think if there is a European league which Arsenal are part of, i would seriously consider giving up my season ticket. Maybe I’m just small minded and parochial. If a consequence was it reset the English league system albeit from a very low and weakened point it would be fascinating and heart breaking. How weird to think teams West Ham, Leeds and Newcastle would be considered giants of the revamped league.

Post #491887  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:08 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Couple of things resolved from tonight game IMO. Withdraw any offer to Wellbeck of a new contract- spends too much time injured to be of any use to the club & Ramsay can go as well. We need cover at the back to replace Monreal, Leichensteiner & cover for Bellerin. Start looking now for long term replacements.

The other thing is the old failings of breaking down real defensive performances by our opponents still persist. Emery has done well but we have a long way to go.

Yeah, let's hope Unai makes sure to tell Danny that when he visits him in hospital to see how his shattered ankle is.

Post #491888  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 am 

A super league seems fascinating at first Babu admittingly but I think it will get old fairly quickly for this reason. The reason why the Champions league is so exciting is because Liverpool and Bayern Munich don't hardly play each other. You can substitute both for any of the big matchups in this super league. Man City vs Barcelona, Juventus vs. PSG, the rarity of it makes it exciting.

If this happens on a week in, week out basis, its like watching Ali vs. Foreman XIV. I would get bored. Maybe not the younger viewers, but I certainly would miss seeing Charlton, Preston NE or Derby County come back into the top flight and they knock off a giant before possibly getting relegated. I recall in the 2004 season enjoying watching Wolves beat Man Utd 1-0 while Man Utd were collapsing and we were growing stronger and former Man Utd player Irwin I think playing for Wolves. Those little moments are what I will miss and not want to miss frankly.

Post #491889  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:32 am 

tomc wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Couple of things resolved from tonight game IMO. Withdraw any offer to Wellbeck of a new contract- spends too much time injured to be of any use to the club & Ramsay can go as well. We need cover at the back to replace Monreal, Leichensteiner & cover for Bellerin. Start looking now for long term replacements.

The other thing is the old failings of breaking down real defensive performances by our opponents still persist. Emery has done well but we have a long way to go.

Yeah, let's hope Unai makes sure to tell Danny that when he visits him in hospital to see how his shattered ankle is.

You might have missed the change but this is a business not a respite centre. Wellbeck has been with us since 2014 & spent basically 2 seasons out injured & never cemented a regular spot. When he was playing ducks & drakes with us on a new contract he took a risk. He should have been in begging for a new contract. Why would we offer him any increased contract or any contract now he is injured. Money is tight at the club so why waste money. Ramsay is in the same boat except for he is putting in half perfoances to avoid injury. Years ago you could afford to be sentimental - so what do you suggest let Eddie leave to keep Wellbeck. Maybe if Emery likes what he can bring to the team offer him an appearance based contract.

Post #491890  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Couple of things resolved from tonight game IMO. Withdraw any offer to Wellbeck of a new contract- spends too much time injured to be of any use to the club

You might have missed the change but this is a business not a respite centre.

How the club is seen to treat (I don't mean in a purely clinical context) injured players may affect its reputation in the footballing community. If Arsenal don't renew Welbeck's contract while he's suffering from a terrible injury that he incurred while playing for us, it could make players we want to sign in the future think twice about joining us.

That makes it important that Arsenal is seen as looking after Welbeck now, not only up to the point his current contract ends (presumably 30th June 2019), but beyond it. If that means giving him another year on the same money, so be it.

Post #491891  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm 

LOL Babu, you know I don't mean Charlton vs. Derby County. I'm not debating if it will happen, it's 'should' it happen? You are in the 'yes' category obviously but I disagree for reasons mentioned prior.

You are going to be bored. I guarantee it. You will long for the days of traveling to grounds like Turf Moor in the middle of winter, Arsenal needing a win to challenge for the title.

And just because you brought it up, this is their head to head history.
Charlton won 29, drew 20 and lost 36. First time played was in 1936 Charlton winning 2-0 in the old 2nd division and the most recent in 2016, Derby County winning 1-0 away. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #491892  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:37 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
tomc wrote:

You might have missed the change but this is a business not a respite centre. Wellbeck has been with us since 2014 & spent basically 2 seasons out injured & never cemented a regular spot. When he was playing ducks & drakes with us on a new contract he took a risk. He should have been in begging for a new contract. Why would we offer him any increased contract or any contract now he is injured. Money is tight at the club so why waste money. Ramsay is in the same boat except for he is putting in half perfoances to avoid injury. Years ago you could afford to be sentimental - so what do you suggest let Eddie leave to keep Wellbeck. Maybe if Emery likes what he can bring to the team offer him an appearance based contract.

I haven't missed anything. I get that offering Welbeck a contract is probably a non starter after last night. But I reckon waiting until the body was cold might have been appropriate.

Post #491893  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

How the club is seen to treat (I don't mean in a purely clinical context) injured players may affect its reputation in the footballing community. If Arsenal don't renew Welbeck's contract while he's suffering from a terrible injury that he incurred while playing for us, it could make players we want to sign in the future think twice about joining us.

That makes it important that Arsenal is seen as looking after Welbeck now, not only up to the point his current contract ends (presumably 30th June 2019), but beyond it. If that means giving him another year on the same money, so be it.

What a load of twaddle. The timing is bad but a contract swings both ways. Look after him while he's in contract by all means but gifting him another because he got injured is just sentimental bollox. I can't be bothered checking but at 27 he's probably spent more time with Arsenal either injured or recovering from injury. If he wanted a new contract and secure income, Welbeck could have negotiated earlier or sought a new club just like the rest of us mugs in the real world.

Post #491894  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:50 pm 

Babu III wrote:
OK, so now imagine that scenario in your World.

Arsenal are in the Super League.

There are no shite teams to play against. No bloody crystal palace, bournemouth, burnley, watford, brighton, huddersfield, cardiff, fulham, norwich, blackburn, derby, wigan, stoke, rotherham, reading, ipswich games.
the list is almost endless of garbage little english teams that don't excite anyone ( apart from their own local fans ), and who I do not want to watch.

Instead you've got The Arsenal versus Juventus at 3PM on a Saturday!

Best time for World wide Audience. In Asia it's Saturday evening/night. Another game on Sunday as well, same time.

No cocking about on a tuesday or a wednesday night, you've got the weekend to watch Arsenal versus Juve. You could even go. No more $@$*#y grounds, now you've got brand spanking new state of the art Arenas, in European cities with Culture and Arts...and cheap beer and slags if that's what you're after.

You could even have a League of 20, with home and away games, and then a Finalisimolto Round where the Top 8 teams play each other in a Tournament to decide the World Champion of Soccer, and these games are played in different venues around the World.

Why imagine it when we've got yours and American Gooners constant outpourings of unfiltered rubbish to read.

Post #491895  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 pm 

Despite the draw I thought Arsenal played really well to try and break down the Sporting wall of 11. We came very close and won the ball back with ease most of the time. And that with players that don't play together all the time.

I said that Emery should be judged on progress over the first 3 months. Some said this was too early. IMO he's doing a great job and has made significant progress. Exactly what Wenger couldn't do. Enjoying every game. :58big-emoticons:

Post #491896  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 pm 

I'll also add that as gutted as I am for Welbeck (it looks a horrible injury) this will surely mean Eddie gets some game time. Looking forward to seeing how he does. He could be a gem who will save the club millions.

Post #491897  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:42 pm 

haha...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn4tP7ogWIA

Post #491898  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I completely agree with you and Tom C on this.

Post #491899  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:08 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

What a load of twaddle. The timing is bad but a contract swings both ways. Look after him while he's in contract by all means but gifting him another because he got injured is just sentimental bollox. I can't be bothered checking but at 27 he's probably spent more time with Arsenal either injured or recovering from injury. If he wanted a new contract and secure income, Welbeck could have negotiated earlier or sought a new club just like the rest of us mugs in the real world.

It isn't sentimental bollocks at all. It's looking after the club's best interests. Thank heavens you're not employed by Arsenal in a capacity to influence the decision. You'd ensure top players or prospects would think twice about joining us and the ones we already have might consider going, because the club wouldn't be perceived as looking after players who get injured playing for it.

Post #491900  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Perry Groves, part of the football community, has urged the club to extend Welbeck's contract. Make no mistake, how Arsenal act towards Welbeck now will be discussed by players not only at Arsenal but other clubs. It's reputation will be affected by this and Arsenal giving him another year on the same money will enhance it. Booting him out as soon as possible will damage it. That will surely influence players' eagerness or otherwise to stay or join. Because while the chances are against it, every player knows what happened to Welbeck could happen to them.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talkspor ... roves/amp/

Post #491901  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

He’s a decent player but if the only reason he would sign a contract with arsenal is because he’s injured and can’t entertain offers from elsewhere then it’s basically us being a weak touch. Surely the players can’t have it both ways. I respect what we did on Ramsey which sounds pure greed on his part but hope an amicable solution can be found on this.

Post #491902  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Actually I have to agree on this. If you let your insurance policy run out and have an accident it’s not the insurance company’s fault. He hasn’t signed a contract because he couldn’t agree a salary. There’s a reason these twats are having problems because they are asking for unrealistic demands that arsenal can’t mirror. You can’t have it both ways Danny

Post #491903  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Perry Groves, part of the football community, has urged the club to extend Welbeck's contract. Make no mistake, how Arsenal act towards Welbeck now will be discussed by players not only at Arsenal but other clubs. It's reputation will be affected by this and Arsenal giving him another year on the same money will enhance it. Booting him out as soon as possible will damage it. That will surely influence players' eagerness or otherwise to stay or join. Because while the chances are against it, every player knows what happened to Welbeck could happen to them.

He’s on 5.2 million quid a season and he didn’t sign a new deal because he wanted more and to screw the club on every penny till the last moment his contract was up. 5.2m is a hell of a price to pay for a player who won’t play for a season just for PR

Post #491904  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes this is absolutely spot on. Totally agree

It’s actually the plot of the Tom Cruise movie Jerry Maguire If you think about it. :laughing7:

Player asks for too much money, “ show me the money” goes out of contract in order to attain a bigger one and risks getting injured.

Post #491905  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He’s on 5.2 million quid a season and he didn’t sign a new deal because he wanted more and to screw the club on every penny till the last moment his contract was up. 5.2m is a hell of a price to pay for a player who won’t play for a season just for PR

I don't expect to see you moaning when no semi-decent players join us because of the way we've treated Welbeck. How do you know he's on £5.2m a year anyway, and how do you know he didn't sign a new deal because he wanted more than that?

Post #491906  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:14 pm 

Aubameyang is the first Arsenal player to win player of the month for 37 months

Post #491907  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't expect to see you moaning when no semi-decent players join us because of the way we've treated Welbeck. How do you know he's on £5.2m a year anyway, and how do you know he didn't sign a new deal because he wanted more than that?

Players are full of self interest in case you missed that. If we don't get good players in it is because the club will not match other wages or we do not match their ambitions of winning something. Wellbeck played the mind game and he lost. With his injury history he was badly advised by his agent. He needs to talk to his agent about his options. Greedy players like him and Ramsay know the risk. I bet if the same had happened to Sanchez no one would have wanted him to have a new contract. I will be really annoyed with the club if they do offer him a new contract. It shows we are a soft touch just like under the Wenger years. People wanted a proper run business (FFS and all that), well these are the realities.

I don't know how business works in the UK but here there would be no contract. Maybe if he was with us since he was a 15yo there would be a sentimental argument. Instead he was a Man U player who they unloaded who has failed to give us a lot of football. Game set and match I would think.

Post #491908  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't expect to see you moaning when no semi-decent players join us because of the way we've treated Welbeck.

If he doesn’t care about that treatment or the risks of not signing a contract why would they!!!!

Post #491909  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 pm 

If Ramsey broke his leg should we offer him another 110k a week contract as well? Of course *%^@*** not.

Post #491910  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:52 pm 

Too bad for Welbeck. Seems we may be looking for another striker...
https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/09/arsenal- ... e-8124376/

Post #491911  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I don't expect to see you moaning when no semi-decent players join us because of the way we've treated Welbeck.

If he doesn’t care about that treatment or the risks of not signing a contract why would they!!!!

Whether the club offer Welbeck a new contract or not should be dependent on whether Emery thinks he can value add to the squad after his recovery. If Nketiah impresses or we get a new forward in Jan, or emery decides Nelson deserves a chance next season, I think it's fair for the club not to offer Welbeck a new contract. It's not like we are not paying his wages and taking care of his treatment...

Post #491912  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 am 

i'm way more concerned with the defense. Isn't Kos coming back next month? We can make do without Welbeck. If its a choice that we only have enough for one player in January, then a top defender if one is available. If we need an attacker, maybe a loanee.

Post #491913  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 am 

Pay Welbeck his current wages till he's back on his feet. If he's needed sign him up if not let him go.

Post #491914  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am 

Sterling makes in one week more than I make in a .....it's none of your business but its more, lets just say that.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football

Post #491915  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:35 am 

AmericanGooner approves of this if the rumor has some legs to it. :icon_mrgreen:
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/transfe ... his-summer

Post #491916  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:32 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
AmericanGooner approves of this if the rumor has some legs to it. :icon_mrgreen:
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/transfe ... his-summer

You know somebody's up their own backside when they start referring to themselves in the third person.

Post #491917  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Aubameyang is the first Arsenal player to win player of the month for 37 months

He's won it for 37 months - he should let someone else have a go...

Post #491918  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:27 pm 

Nelson was a sub today, came on and scored (again) within 2 mins.
I wonder if we might be tempted to bring him back in Jan?

Post #491919  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 pm 

This guy Foyth for spurs is a walking disaster. Has made 3 big mistakes already. Spurs are very lucky zaha isn’t playing because he would roast him all night and that match up would be a certain penalty

Post #491920  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:20 pm 

Currently watching Palace vs Tottenham and it seems like pretty much every PL match I watch its raining. Some the rain comes harder than others but I wonder what percentage of matches it doesn't rain? My guess is less than 40 percent or it seems like it.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12295, 12296, 12297, 12298, 12299, 12300, 12301 ... 14269  Next