Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lincoln gooner and 98 guests

Post #491401  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:08 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Yes. If he wanted to win medals why not stay at Barca? They usually have plenty on offer. Anyway, good luck to him earning what he can out of the stupidly rich United.

I thought Sanchez was a tremendous player for us, but unfortunate to arrive for the toxic last few years of the Wenger era. There was very little right at the club and this obviously frustrated him.
I'm sure he's gone for the loot but who can blame him under the circumstances.

Wasn't Sanchez a major contributor to that toxicity?

Post #491402  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
john1 wrote:

I'd agree that under the last few years with Arsene United/City/Chelsea/Liverpool were better long term bets. But I still dont think Sanchez' transfer had much to do with winning things - follow the money, and he's probably not the brightest light in the sky, so probably fairly easily led by his agent.

I don’t think you are wrong but I will never criticise him for this. He is from Chile & his whole life & his families & probably the next generation will be different with money like this. I’d want a *%^@ load of money to put up with Mourinho.

I don't think that is a valid reason for being a (^*&*. Lots of players who come from poor backgrounds aren't.

Post #491403  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:23 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He’s been shocking but Mourinho is well past it and seems to be trying to get himself fired as he’s done his three years. On a footballing level city, Bayern and even united have been doing better than us in recent times. It’s not like he signed for spurs.

Any player with any ambition would have jumped off Wengers ship

This is largely about having a drum and casting around for a stick to beat it with. The exit of Sanchez, RvP and Fabregas were more about those players than Wenger.

Alexis and RvP were both after the big payday. RvP had one brilliant season with us and then hit the road--this after we'd show patience for 7 years. Cesc ... well.

If your a top professional footballer and you have a descision to make which is money aside shall I play alongside Wayne Rooney or Maroune Chamakh ? Would you understand the obvious outcome.

Money contributed to Van Persie decision but even then he was on the fence about going then won the title in his first season.

I can now forgive Cesc and Van Persie for leaving
They were right.

The only player who rightly deserves dogs abuse for running off was Ashley Cole who met with Mourinho the season after we won the league and were still champions. That was totally motivated by greed even if we did miss manage the situation a bit.

Post #491404  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I thought Sanchez was a tremendous player for us, but unfortunate to arrive for the toxic last few years of the Wenger era. There was very little right at the club and this obviously frustrated him.
I'm sure he's gone for the loot but who can blame him under the circumstances.

There were times I watched him busting a gut to do something for the team with little input from the rest. You'd have to be an insider to know the truth, but one reading of his often visible moody demeanour might be that he was frustrated with the mediocrity and lack of urgency around him. The toxicity came just as much from the fans, so perhaps he was as pissed off as the rest of us.

Post #491405  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:27 pm 

dec wrote:
Alexis transfer had feck all to do with Wenger. He just wanted a monstrous pay packet. He negotiated himself out of offers from Bayern and Man City. I can't believe people still miss given how utterly shite he's been playing for 12 months now.

My point being he would have remained committed and played for the team (and manager), had his opinions been taken into consideration by Wenger. Instead of appreciating his drive and desire (on the field and through his words), Wenger chose to marginalise him. The Wenger favourites who were always picked for games despite more unassured performance, joined the litany of criticism. If I were in Alexis' situation, I would go too. Why stay when my drive and desire is unappreciated.

Post #491406  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
Alexis transfer had feck all to do with Wenger. He just wanted a monstrous pay packet. He negotiated himself out of offers from Bayern and Man City. I can't believe people still miss given how utterly shite he's been playing for 12 months now.

He’s been shocking but Mourinho is well past it and seems to be trying to get himself fired as he’s done his three years. On a footballing level city, Bayern and even united have been doing better than us in recent times. It’s not like he signed for spurs.

Any player with any ambition would have jumped off Wengers ship

Spot on

Post #491407  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just as a side issue Guendouzi is improving all the time and looks like he can ultimately be an important player. I don't mean in 5 years but late this season and next season. His passing range and ability to see attacking options is very very good.

For me Guendouzi is the most exciting break-through talent since Fabregas, who I think was 2004.

He has a lot of promise. Nelson and Smith-Rowe will join his ranks soon.

Post #491408  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Totally agree

His most impressive thing he has for a midfielder is the ability that Vieira and Manu had which is if he has the ball at his feet and doesn’t have a pass on or a team mate free in space he’s comfortable and confident enough on the ball to swivel and dribble the ball further around rather than releasing a pass that’s unlikely to reach its target. He can do this even if he’s being pressed. Vieira had this in spades and Guendozi seems to have it. The club needs to offer him a huge long term contract because it’s clear he’s going to be a star and it’s amazing to think he’s 19.

It’s also ironic our best recent prospect is a Frenchman signed by a Spaniard rather than our previous legendary French manager

Get a bit more bulk on him. He has massive potential; hope he keeps his head down and works hard. I think Emery will be better for him in that regard than Wenger would have been.

Agree completely, especially the comparison between Emery and Wenger.

Post #491409  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
For me Guendouzi is the most exciting break-through talent since Fabregas, who I think was 2004.

I do not disagree. Some of his 40 metre cross field passes really are great. I hate bigging players up early but I think Emery can make this kid a great player.

Agree

Post #491410  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
One noticeable thing about Guendouzi, beyond his passing ability and ball control, is the way he makes himself available to receive passes. For a teenager I think that's really impressive and surely says something about his personality as well as his talent. He plays with intelligence. He's a very confident young man, and just as vital is that his confidence doesn't appear misplaced.

I like it that he is not arrogant

Post #491411  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:39 pm 

I want to avoid my needless anxiety as last season with City going so long without a loss and hoping the scum beat the sky blue scum on Monday. Man Utd suffering more would be nice. I love seeing Mourinho suffering. Love it.

Post #491412  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Exactly. The mistake was not getting rid of him sooner so we could get full value, but he would've left regardless. And we're better off with Mkhitaryan anyway.

Agree first bit but think Mkhitaryan had been pretty poor so far. He's being played in different positions but also seems to play with the motivation of someone who feels he's already done enough in his working/football life.

I think Mkhitaryan is trying, but he is a limited player. He will not grow into a top class player, not even a level just below it. His star performance at Dortmund is perhaps just like Ramsey was good for us, for about 2 seasons. Both are finding it hard to rediscover the same vein of form, and perhaps would never have it again.

Post #491413  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

There were times I watched him busting a gut to do something for the team with little input from the rest. You'd have to be an insider to know the truth, but one reading of his often visible moody demeanour might be that he was frustrated with the mediocrity and lack of urgency around him. The toxicity came just as much from the fans, so perhaps he was as pissed off as the rest of us.

Spot on

Post #491414  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:45 pm 

I know its pretty much a cert that the PL winning manager is voted Manager of the Year with a few exceptions but if Emery gets 3rd I think he should have a shout as well and especially so if he can pick up a trophy. Were I him I'd try for the league cup. Its the most winnable of the domestic trophies.

Post #491415  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I know its pretty much a cert that the PL winning manager is voted Manager of the Year with a few exceptions but if Emery gets 3rd I think he should have a shout as well and especially so if he can pick up a trophy. Were I him I'd try for the league cup. Its the most winnable of the domestic trophies.

Why aim so low?
First priority - Europa League
Second priority - FA Cup
Third priority - EPL Champions (why not aim for it than concede to a lesser position right now)
Final priority - Carabao Cup

Europa league is the most realistic right now, and yet the competition are not "run of the mill" teams. Currently there are top sides in the competition, and there is still the 3rd place teams from the ECL to come. Aiming for it is a show of ambition. Aiming for the Carabao Cup is a lack of ambition. That would be the Wenger days, all over again.

Post #491416  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:37 pm 

Do you think its easier to get in the CL proper by way of winning the Europa cup or getting top 4?
Interesting question.
This season is all about getting back into the CL and then the PL title. Given a choice between another FA cup or a league cup or gettin back into the CL, I'll take the CL.
For a start, its easier to attract players when you are in the competition. Second, its a stepping stone to the title. It would mean we are competing with the best of the league by being 3rd or 4th. And we go from there.

Post #491417  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:55 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I do not disagree. Some of his 40 metre cross field passes really are great. I hate bigging players up early but I think Emery can make this kid a great player.

Won't be surprised if him and Iwobi are the reasons behind the club withdrawing a new contract to Ramsey. Iwobi could well make Mkhitaryan redundant at the club soon.

Post #491418  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:32 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Why aim so low?
Second priority - FA Cup
Third priority - EPL Champions (why not aim for it than concede to a lesser position right now)

Europa league is the most realistic right now, and yet the competition are not "run of the mill" teams. Currently there are top sides in the competition, and there is still the 3rd place teams from the ECL to come. Aiming for it is a show of ambition. Aiming for the Carabao Cup is a lack of ambition. That would be the Wenger days, all over again.

I agree. One day we'll win the league. And I bet we wouldn't have been expecting it at the beginning of the season. I cant recall us ever winning the league when I expected us to :).

BUT let talk again on 6 december. We're still in the phony war stage of the season. Extrapolation from current trajectories at this stage of the season is a bit unwise.

Post #491419  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:33 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Why aim so low?
Second priority - FA Cup

I agree. One day we'll win the league. And I bet we wouldn't have been expecting it at the beginning of the season. I cant recall us ever winning the league when I expected us to :).

BUT let talk again on 6 december. We're still in the phony war stage of the season. Extrapolation from current trajectories at this stage of the season is a bit unwise.

Post #491420  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm 

Decaf wrote:

I had a £10 bet on us winning the league in both 1989 and 1991. In 1989 it was partly to do with the odds, 16/1. But in 1991 I only got 5/1, so I assume I must have been expecting it that year. £10 was worth a lot more then than it is now, so I doubt I'd have put it on a bet I had little hope would come off.

Post #491421  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I had a £10 bet on us winning the league in both 1989 and 1991. In 1989 it was partly to do with the odds, 16/1. But in 1991 I only got 5/1, so I assume I must have been expecting it that year. £10 was worth a lot more then than it is now, so I doubt I'd have put it on a bet I had little hope would come off.

The only time I actually thought we would win the league before the season started was after the 2004 win. In 1991 I was still assuming that our wins were temporary aberrations to the usual Liverpool dominance.

Post #491422  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:36 pm 

I would love a team next season to just decide randomly they are going to play one of their games at Wembley, just say their home ground is undergoing some essential maintenance and see what the FA say......this is basically what spurs are doing this season, just deciding almost week by week where they want to play their home game. New stadium won’t be ready until 2019 at the earliest. Surely if enough games are played at Wembley they have to be forced to finish the entire season there.

Post #491423  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
On the subject of Fabregas I found the comments Michael Carrick made in his book about us interesting. Carrick spoke to Wenger who told him we wanted to sign him and would call him to sort out the details the Monday after the community shield game against united. Then famously Cesc ran rings around Roy Keane in that game and the call never came.

When Carrick was a kid at West Ham, Wenger said at an AGM (now a thing of the past) how much he liked him. Wenger made it perfectly obvious that at that point in time (which would have been earlier than the Community Shield game you mention) he wanted to sign Carrick.

Hi guys just a quick visit ,

I don’t think it was to do with fabregas at that point . I think what happened in O4 was it looked all summer after euros that paddy was going to finally go to Real Madrid , and as a result wenger had lined up carrick as a replacement . Then paddy had a last minute change of heart and stayed, so the carrick deal was off .

Of course 12 months later we sold paddy, but that was then down more to fabregas’s rise And changing the structure of the team

Very enjoyable start to the season , how long we been waiting huh?

Post #491424  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:28 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Bernard wrote:
When Carrick was a kid at West Ham, Wenger said at an AGM (now a thing of the past) how much he liked him. Wenger made it perfectly obvious that at that point in time (which would have been earlier than the Community Shield game you mention) he wanted to sign Carrick.

I don’t think it was to do with fabregas at that point . I think what happened in O4 was it looked all summer after euros that paddy was going to finally go to Real Madrid , and as a result wenger had lined up carrick as a replacement . Then paddy had a last minute change of heart and stayed, so the carrick deal was off .

Of course 12 months later we sold paddy, but that was then down more to fabregas’s rise And changing the structure of the team

What you say about the Vieira stuff may well be right Pete. But wasn't Carrick under contract at Tottenham in 2004? Would they have sold him to us, just three years after we got Sol?

Carrick made his debut at West Ham in 1999. I can't recall which AGM Wenger basically said he wanted to sign him. But it might have been even earlier than 1999. Carrick was very young at the time, and I'm sure Wenger would have been aware of outstanding talents at other clubs even before they've broken through.

Post #491425  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:38 pm 

Niall wrote:

Ah for the days of EEG, Daz, Chippy, hairy arse John, exiled, big Darren, kiwisheep, DHD and that whitty b****** Niall (*%^@ that's me)...Good old days..

Definetly more vibrant back then but as you mentioned once unfortunately " lost in the mists of time "

Yesterday the spring that helps the stove oven door retract snapped , went up to the scrapman to get another , came home with a car trailer

... that's fairly close isn't it .....?

Post #491426  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:56 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Do you think its easier to get in the CL proper by way of winning the Europa cup or getting top 4?
Interesting question.
This season is all about getting back into the CL and then the PL title. Given a choice between another FA cup or a league cup or gettin back into the CL, I'll take the CL.
For a start, its easier to attract players when you are in the competition. Second, its a stepping stone to the title. It would mean we are competing with the best of the league by being 3rd or 4th. And we go from there.

Easier through a top 4 finish

Post #491427  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:18 am 

I feel a wee bit of sacrilege hearing Viera's song but its all in fun.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-13486191

The 22-year-old is now being serenaded with cries of ‘Torreira woaahh, Torreira woaahh. He comes from Uruguay, he’s only five foot high.’

Post #491428  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:18 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Carrick wrote in his autobiography:

"On the way home, we got another call. Arsenal again, asking us to meet Arsene. As it happened we were driving past his home in north London, so we arranged to call in on the way. Within an hour I was sitting in the front room of Arsene Wenger’s house, pinching myself.

" Could this really be happening? Arsenal! Could I really be on the verge of signing for the Invincibles who’d just gone through the season unbeaten?"
"We talked for almost an hour about football. Wenger had the Community Shield at the weekend, but was spending an hour with me, so surely he had to be interested in signing me? 'Let’s get Cardiff out the way, and we’ll see you Monday,' Wenger said as we left. Things were moving so fast I needed a few minutes to put it all into perspective.

"That night, I sat at the bottom of my bed and talked it through with Lisa, just running all the possibilities through my mind. It came from nowhere. My head was spinning. Arsenal were finishing either first or second in the Premiership."

He wrote, "On the Sunday, I settled down at home in Theydon Bois, Epping, to watch Arsenal, my team to be, in the Community Shield against Manchester United,

"I saw that a kid, Cesc Fabregas, only 17, started in Vieira’s place. Fabregas played a blinder but I didn’t think too much about the significance. I sat at home on Sunday night waiting for the call to arrange details of the next day. Arsenal! I couldn’t wait."
"But I waited, and waited, and that call never came. The next day, I had to go into training at West Ham instead and, on the way, David [Gold] phoned to say he’d had a call from [David] Dein.

"David relayed the gist of his message, like, 'I’m sorry, the manager says we don’t need Michael. Fabregas is coming through like he is. Sorry, the deal’s off.' Fabregas’ performance changed Wenger’s mind about needing me."
"I was totally devastated as I had my heart set on Arsenal and playing with all that talent. My head was gone. Arsenal had swayed me and I didn’t have a clue what I’d do now."

Post #491429  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 am 

So, since the league is the easier route, I can forgive Emery for not winning the Europa cup if it meant we had to put the better players in the league match on either side of a European match but I wouldn't mind winning if we had a decent chance at it. A European trophy would do a huge amount of good in the club.

Post #491430  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

What you say about the Vieira stuff may well be right Pete. But wasn't Carrick under contract at Tottenham in 2004? Would they have sold him to us, just three years after we got Sol?

Carrick made his debut at West Ham in 1999. I can't recall which AGM Wenger basically said he wanted to sign him. But it might have been even earlier than 1999. Carrick was very young at the time, and I'm sure Wenger would have been aware of outstanding talents at other clubs even before they've broken through.

He was still at West Ham went in part exchange with Zamora before the end of the 04 transfer window

Post #491431  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:52 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

Carrick wrote in his autobiography:

"On the way home, we got another call. Arsenal again, asking us to meet Arsene. As it happened we were driving past his home in north London, so we arranged to call in on the way. Within an hour I was sitting in the front room of Arsene Wenger’s house, pinching myself.

" Could this really be happening? Arsenal! Could I really be on the verge of signing for the Invincibles who’d just gone through the season unbeaten?"
"We talked for almost an hour about football. Wenger had the Community Shield at the weekend, but was spending an hour with me, so surely he had to be interested in signing me? 'Let’s get Cardiff out the way, and we’ll see you Monday,' Wenger said as we left. Things were moving so fast I needed a few minutes to put it all into perspective.

"That night, I sat at the bottom of my bed and talked it through with Lisa, just running all the possibilities through my mind. It came from nowhere. My head was spinning. Arsenal were finishing either first or second in the Premiership."

He wrote, "On the Sunday, I settled down at home in Theydon Bois, Epping, to watch Arsenal, my team to be, in the Community Shield against Manchester United,

"I saw that a kid, Cesc Fabregas, only 17, started in Vieira’s place. Fabregas played a blinder but I didn’t think too much about the significance. I sat at home on Sunday night waiting for the call to arrange details of the next day. Arsenal! I couldn’t wait."
"But I waited, and waited, and that call never came. The next day, I had to go into training at West Ham instead and, on the way, David [Gold] phoned to say he’d had a call from [David] Dein.

"David relayed the gist of his message, like, 'I’m sorry, the manager says we don’t need Michael. Fabregas is coming through like he is. Sorry, the deal’s off.' Fabregas’ performance changed Wenger’s mind about needing me."
"I was totally devastated as I had my heart set on Arsenal and playing with all that talent. My head was gone. Arsenal had swayed me and I didn’t have a clue what I’d do now."

Sure! And that’s perfectly feasible too ( plus that definitely time dates it as 04) equally the version with the viera to Real Madrid deal was what was said at the time. Paddy goes through all this in his book , may even mention carrick being lined up then, I no longer own a copy

Post #491432  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:00 am 

Babu III wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
So, since the league is the easier route, I can forgive Emery for not winning the Europa cup if it meant we had to put the better players in the league match on either side of a European match but I wouldn't mind winning if we had a decent chance at it. A European trophy would do a huge amount of good in the club.

The Europa League is a real trophy, as opposed to the make believe 4th place one, and there aren't really any decent teams in the Europa League. FC Zürich is top of group A, ( and looking forward to getting you lot in the knock-out stages ), Red Bull Salzburg top of group B, etc., etc.
Only right down the bottom of the list, in Group L, are the Blues, Chelsea F.C., and they'll beat us over 2 legs, as they did in the Invincibles Season.
If we could get them in the Final that would be a different story, as it's only one game, and anything is possible, the ball is round, etc., etc, boring football stuff.
4th place in the League?
Well, I'm guessing Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea will finish above us, so it's us against Tottenham and Manchester United for 4th place.

What does the Forum think? Is 4th place a Trophy?
Can we win the Europa League if we have to play Chelsea?

Sounds simple , As your conveniently forgetting all the 3 rd place CL teams that will drop in which at the moment look like including PSG, Valencia/Man U and spuds amongst others

Post #491433  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:32 am 

Babu III wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Welcome to the club. There is an initiation process, a secret handshake and secret knock if or when you visit a
member.
Anyway, I can't see the blocked posts. You must be doing something wrong.

Trump's approval rating hovers in the mid 40s so we can say without a doubt 45 percent or so of Americans are enormous a*******. :1laughter: The rest of us have the potential if not already. Being a gooner though automatically exempts me from a****** status. Surely, no gooner can be an a****** can he or she?

If I'm still getting abuse, what is it now? At least year maybe closer to 2 years some are blocked, I've elevated past Chocolate Gooner and Cannon Balls in infamy...haha.

What has little 'ol me done to gain such enmity other than apparently boring posts, holding the wrong passport and the temerity of an American loving the greatest football club in the known (and unknown according to astronomers) universe with equal feeling as they do?

Seriously though, I've said it before. You can't ever, ever, (in my best Winston Churchill voice) given to bullies, internet or otherwise or they win so I am here to stay, and unless I violate some forum rule or whatever and get kicked off (must remember an xmas gift to Warrior), I will NEVER F*CKING leave or they win. And I never lose in circumstances like these. Their having to see my posts is my reward each time I post. :7laughter:

Same here, AG. You have to keep strong against these people. Never let them win.
It comes to something when an "admin" is asking if you've *%^@** off yet. :tweety:

As for the "surely no gooner can be an a******?" question, well...
Unblock everyone for a day and I think you will see there is a case for saying that there might just be a few around. There just might...

:53big-emoticons: :laughing7: how wonderful ... two little white knights standing up to the evils of the world .
American spouts all manner of twaddle ... nothing wrong with that .......BUT hasn't got the balls to answer his critics in spite of making the real hard arse statement "us Philly boys tell it like it is "

Now you Babu I II or !III ......ex Chelsea boy .. state Gunfire should spunk in someones anal passages or receive it can't remember which
What a disgusting post and now you and the Yank are playing " the injured party role " ..........grow some gonads

I've been on here for 27 years and of the current posters Bernard , Niall and Daz were here before me ..... so please can this "you were here and don't remember Nial " twaddle .

You and the American would be the two biggest show boaters on this forum ...you demand attention ... and get it .......comments come in good or bad ............... so suck it up .

and please give the " Dear Warrior I've been so mistreated posts" a rest .

Post #491434  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:43 am 

Babu III wrote:
Morning Niall, not up yet, I see.
Hard week digging the roads?
Why haven't you banned me yet?
You want me to *%^@ off, so do it!

:laughing7: :laughing7: grow up you attention seeking w**&%#$## ....... matyre pour le suisse

Post #491435  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

If in April, if we are still within range of leaders, then should go all out for the title. Worst case, top 4 and ECL. If too far off and still in Europa, go for Europa.

Post #491436  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:39 am 

Babu III wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

The Europa League is a real trophy, as opposed to the make believe 4th place one, and there aren't really any decent teams in the Europa League. FC Zürich is top of group A, ( and looking forward to getting you lot in the knock-out stages ), Red Bull Salzburg top of group B, etc., etc.
Only right down the bottom of the list, in Group L, are the Blues, Chelsea F.C., and they'll beat us over 2 legs, as they did in the Invincibles Season.
If we could get them in the Final that would be a different story, as it's only one game, and anything is possible, the ball is round, etc., etc, boring football stuff.
4th place in the League?
Well, I'm guessing Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea will finish above us, so it's us against Tottenham and Manchester United for 4th place.

What does the Forum think? Is 4th place a Trophy?
Can we win the Europa League if we have to play Chelsea?

4th place is not a trophy. On perspective, it will be an improvement over the last 2 seasons. We can win the Europa league, if we continue to build confidence and team spirit. Looking good right now.

Post #491437  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:45 am 

4th place wasn't a trophy when we were regularly in the top 4 BUT now it is in a manner of speech. At the state we are in, 4th is a trophy. Once there regularly again, its not.

I was discussing The Arsenal with someone and I think had the board sided with Usmanov things would have turned out totally different for Wenger. Two things led me to that belief. First, Usmanov would spent a lot to achieve success as quickly as possible and second, Wenger and Dein would have continued their fine partnership and we would have gotten far better players on average than he had to buy. Just thinking of 'what ifs'.

Post #491438  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:47 am 

As far as Europa vs 4th place, why not go after both? But if one has to sacrificed, I'd say the Europa trophy. But I don't think that has to be until the semis or finals. We have enough quality to get past pretty much every club save one or two with some of our bench players like Welbeck.

Post #491439  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:57 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I've been on here for 27 years and of the current posters Bernard , Niall and Daz were here before me ..... so please can this "you were here and don't remember Nial " twaddle .

Must admit I've only been here twenty years this month. I never had access to the internet before October 1998. I started a new job on 1st October 1998, which gave me that access. Looked for the best Arsenal sites soon after and found this one.

Post #491440  Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He was still at West Ham went in part exchange with Zamora before the end of the 04 transfer window

Yes you're right. Just checked and Carrick joined Tottenham in 2004 before leaving them in 2006. So he presumably went to Tottenham after Arsenal had lost interest in him that summer, for whatever reason. So it would have been West Ham we got him from. I initially thought Carrick went to Tottenham earlier than 2004, so around 2003. These days I have trouble remembering when Arsenal's new signings joined, so have no chance with Tottenham's.

But Wenger did announce at an AGM how highly he rated Carrick when he was a kid at West Ham. Must have been the late 1990s. What he said left no doubt he wanted him at Arsenal. Wenger never said anything like that again, about any player. My guess is he was asked by a Ken Friar type not to be so explicit about transfer targets in the future.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12283, 12284, 12285, 12286, 12287, 12288, 12289 ... 14269  Next