Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 96 guests

Post #491361  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:10 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Yessssss! Danny the man

Happy for Welbeck ...seems a personable sort of guy , happy to play a bit part back up to Lacazette and Aubameyang ; just the sort of cookie every club needs .

Post #491362  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Yessssss! Danny the man

Happy for Welbeck ...seems a personable sort of guy , happy to play a bit part back up to Lacazette and Aubameyang ; just the sort of cookie every club needs .

Agree fully. Really hope this isn't his last season at the club.

Post #491363  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 pm 

Only saw a couple of minutes of highlights of the match but it looks like we again created a few good chances coupled with a few poor defensive decisions early in the match.
Another great result - well done to the team & manager.

Post #491364  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 pm 

From F365.....Arsenal have now played 497 minutes without Torreira this season, scoring nine goals and conceding ten. In 673 minutes with him on the pitch, they have scored 24 goals and conceded four. If any player is undroppable under Emery, it is the boy from Uruguay.

Post #491365  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 pm 

Just as a side issue Guendouzi is improving all the time and looks like he can ultimately be an important player. I don't mean in 5 years but late this season and next season. His passing range and ability to see attacking options is very very good. Coupled with Iwobi and other players generally improving, do we miss Wilshire and Walcott - I don't. The medical staff probably miss the regular contact with Wilshire.

Post #491366  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:06 pm 

So what would you do if you had a tight financial situation and a club offers to in effect buy your manager for 40mil.

Not our worry but maybe for another London club and their fans.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/25/real-mad ... o-8075962/

Post #491367  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:14 pm 

Has Babu *%^@** off yet?

Ah for the days of EEG, Daz, Chippy, hairy arse John, exiled, big Darren, kiwisheep, DHD and that whitty b****** Niall (*%^@ that's me)...Good old days..

Tedious first half, dominated the second. Well deserved win.

Post #491368  Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:18 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
So what would you do if you had a tight financial situation and a club offers to in effect buy your manager for 40mil.

Not our worry but maybe for another London club and their fans.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/25/real-mad ... o-8075962/

He's a great manager and spurs have probably hit their ceiling. He's off. If he has any sense

Post #491369  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 am 

Niall wrote:
Has Babu *%^@** off yet?

Ah for the days of EEG, Daz, Chippy, hairy arse John, exiled, big Darren, kiwisheep, DHD and that whitty b****** Niall (*%^@ that's me)...Good old days..

Tedious first half, dominated the second. Well deserved win.

Wasn't babu part of those 'good ol days' under a different moniker?

Post #491370  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 am 

Alexis Sanchez leaving Arsenal to join Manchester United was a mistake, says Robert Pires

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/25/alexis-s ... to=cbshare

Post #491371  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:46 am 

And again we used the second half well. Torreira made the difference. The midfield was getting nowhere and the link-up with the attack was messy. Emery wanted to give Elneny a chance to prove his worth, but I think it is clear. Elneny is not first team level.

Glad Welbeck got his goal. It was well placed.

I like Lichtsteiner. No nonsense player and wouldn't give up on the cause. And willing to do some dirty work for the team. Liked his faked shoulder injury to waste some time. He reminds me of Martin Keown.

11 wins now, dust off Palace for a fabulous dozen!

Post #491372  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:53 am 

warrior wrote:
Alexis Sanchez leaving Arsenal to join Manchester United was a mistake, says Robert Pires

Alexis was one of few, if not the only, purposeful player in a faltering and rudderless Wenger-Arsenal team. I believe I was one of few who kept singing his praises, and blamed his attitude on the team and manager. He would have combined very well with Aubameyang and Lacazette. Both would have benefited from his through balls. His never-say-die attitude is what this team has now. That Wenger team had too much casualness. The silent Captains meant Alexis' voice was frowned upon. I am sure Emery would have welcomed Alexis' opinions, given that he likes to analyse teams.

Post #491373  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:24 am 

gooner7 wrote:
warrior wrote:

Alexis was one of few, if not the only, purposeful player in a faltering and rudderless Wenger-Arsenal team. I believe I was one of few who kept singing his praises, and blamed his attitude on the team and manager. He would have combined very well with Aubameyang and Lacazette. Both would have benefited from his through balls. His never-say-die attitude is what this team has now. That Wenger team had too much casualness. The silent Captains meant Alexis' voice was frowned upon. I am sure Emery would have welcomed Alexis' opinions, given that he likes to analyse teams.

Spot on.

Post #491374  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:22 am 

gooner7 wrote:
warrior wrote:

I put him in the category now with Van Persie and Fabregas who left the club after realising Wenger was a busted flush and they had to move to get success.

I no longer feel resentment about those players going as they were right but it just hurt us at the time.

It’s a shame cause if you put Sanchez in our front 3 with Özil and Aubameyang you’d have a serious chance of competing as he brings pace and unpredictability. I’m sure Emery is looking for a wide man who can run at defenders because we are missing that player

Post #491375  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:27 am 

gooner7 wrote:
warrior wrote:

I don't blame Sanchez for leaving. I blame Sanchez for going to Manchester United.

Post #491376  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:29 am 

The top 4 or 5 clubs have to be casting a wary eye at us but I doubt the fans of these clubs see us as a threat. Not until we beat one of them.

Post #491377  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:34 am 

Regarding the recent bomb attempts of notable people in America. These attempted bombings in any other times would be a huge national concern that would bring the country together. Its unprecedented. Its massive. If there is anything close to the breadth and scope of what was attempted in America, I'd love to hear it. Frankly, anywhere in the western world, ever!

To me this is a clear sign America is f*cked and royally so. Just on the face of it, it must have been a group effort. Some twisted far right organization. It's very unlikely it's some 'lone wolf'. The attempt is bold and outrageous but the reaction in some quarters is even worse in terms of what it says about us as a nation. 

I am talking not only of the reaction on the right (dismissive) but even worse the reaction on the left. The left has become normalized to to it all. I don't think this will even be much of a factor in getting people to the polls for the elections next week. 

It will not end well as a nation and I've posted numerous times ad nauseam about the decline of the American 'empire' so to speak and this is just one more undeniable piece of evidence to support what I believe. 

There was a time, some common core beliefs from both parties. The fight against communism since WW2 first and foremost. Both parties were committed to putting a man on the moon in the 60s and both supported the increased teaching of the hard sciences (physics, chemistry) in schools to get on the moon. These were ideologically neutral things all Americans accepted. No party sought to take credit. A Democrat (JFK) said we should go to the moon and started the program and a Republican (Nixon)was there to see it come to fruition, receive the astronauts and neither party claimed to have done it. 

It all started changing 30 or 40 years ago. The ending of the USSR was a collective effort of all the presidents and congresses since WW2,as well as our allies and friends in Europe but Reagan was hailed as the one who ended it. Al Gore "invented" the internet. There are very few common core beliefs that are 'American' regardless of political association anymore. The one last thing is the respect for the fighting men ann women of the military and holding them in esteem (despite being placed in harms way in asinine conflicts) and even that is politicized now. 

People sent f*cking bombs to ex Presidents, sitting Congressperson and high ranking others and the Caravan of people in Central America is given more news coverage? Utterly amazing. Well America, it was a decent run, a few bumps and bruises along the way, leave the key for the Chinese under the mat please.

Post #491378  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:51 am 

Alexis transfer had feck all to do with Wenger. He just wanted a monstrous pay packet. He negotiated himself out of offers from Bayern and Man City. I can't believe people still miss given how utterly shite he's been playing for 12 months now.

Post #491379  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:15 am 

dec wrote:
Alexis transfer had feck all to do with Wenger. He just wanted a monstrous pay packet. He negotiated himself out of offers from Bayern and Man City. I can't believe people still miss given how utterly shite he's been playing for 12 months now.

He’s been shocking but Mourinho is well past it and seems to be trying to get himself fired as he’s done his three years. On a footballing level city, Bayern and even united have been doing better than us in recent times. It’s not like he signed for spurs.

Any player with any ambition would have jumped off Wengers ship

Post #491380  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

He’s been shocking but Mourinho is well past it and seems to be trying to get himself fired as he’s done his three years. On a footballing level city, Bayern and even united have been doing better than us in recent times. It’s not like he signed for spurs.

If Sanchez had ambition, he would have gone to City. United offered him, or perhaps his agent, more.

Post #491381  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:57 am 

dec wrote:

Exactly. The mistake was not getting rid of him sooner so we could get full value, but he would've left regardless. And we're better off with Mkhitaryan anyway.

Post #491382  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:21 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just as a side issue Guendouzi is improving all the time and looks like he can ultimately be an important player. I don't mean in 5 years but late this season and next season. His passing range and ability to see attacking options is very very good.

For me Guendouzi is the most exciting break-through talent since Fabregas, who I think was 2004.

Post #491383  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:27 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've posted numerous times ad nauseam about the decline of the .

you've posted ad nauseam full stop

Post #491384  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:42 am 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If Sanchez had ambition, he would have gone to City. United offered him, or perhaps his agent, more.

True

No doubt money played a big part But do you reckon he was more likely to achieve success under Jose at United or Wenger at arsenal. Let’s be honest all our best players pretty much are desperate to jump off under Wenger. United aren’t city right now but a better long term bet than us! The last 2 years were terrible

Post #491385  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just as a side issue Guendouzi is improving all the time and looks like he can ultimately be an important player. I don't mean in 5 years but late this season and next season. His passing range and ability to see attacking options is very very good.

For me Guendouzi is the most exciting break-through talent since Fabregas, who I think was 2004.

Totally agree

His most impressive thing he has for a midfielder is the ability that Vieira and Manu had which is if he has the ball at his feet and doesn’t have a pass on or a team mate free in space he’s comfortable and confident enough on the ball to swivel and dribble the ball further around rather than releasing a pass that’s unlikely to reach its target. He can do this even if he’s being pressed. Vieira had this in spades and Guendozi seems to have it. The club needs to offer him a huge long term contract because it’s clear he’s going to be a star and it’s amazing to think he’s 19.

It’s also ironic our best recent prospect is a Frenchman signed by a Spaniard rather than our previous legendary French manager

Post #491386  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 am 

On the subject of Fabregas I found the comments Michael Carrick made in his book about us interesting. Carrick spoke to Wenger who told him we wanted to sign him and would call him to sort out the details the Monday after the community shield game against united. Then famously Cesc ran rings around Roy Keane in that game and the call never came.

Post #491387  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:10 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

True

No doubt money played a big part But do you reckon he was more likely to achieve success under Jose at United or Wenger at arsenal. Let’s be honest all our best players pretty much are desperate to jump off under Wenger. United aren’t city right now but a better long term bet than us! The last 2 years were terrible

I'd agree that under the last few years with Arsene United/City/Chelsea/Liverpool were better long term bets. But I still dont think Sanchez' transfer had much to do with winning things - follow the money, and he's probably not the brightest light in the sky, so probably fairly easily led by his agent.

Post #491388  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Totally agree

His most impressive thing he has for a midfielder is the ability that Vieira and Manu had which is if he has the ball at his feet and doesn’t have a pass on or a team mate free in space he’s comfortable and confident enough on the ball to swivel and dribble the ball further around rather than releasing a pass that’s unlikely to reach its target. He can do this even if he’s being pressed. Vieira had this in spades and Guendozi seems to have it. The club needs to offer him a huge long term contract because it’s clear he’s going to be a star and it’s amazing to think he’s 19.

It’s also ironic our best recent prospect is a Frenchman signed by a Spaniard rather than our previous legendary French manager

Get a bit more bulk on him. He has massive potential; hope he keeps his head down and works hard. I think Emery will be better for him in that regard than Wenger would have been.

Post #491389  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I do not disagree. Some of his 40 metre cross field passes really are great. I hate bigging players up early but I think Emery can make this kid a great player.

Post #491390  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 am 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
True

I'd agree that under the last few years with Arsene United/City/Chelsea/Liverpool were better long term bets. But I still dont think Sanchez' transfer had much to do with winning things - follow the money, and he's probably not the brightest light in the sky, so probably fairly easily led by his agent.

I don’t think you are wrong but I will never criticise him for this. He is from Chile & his whole life & his families & probably the next generation will be different with money like this. I’d want a *%^@ load of money to put up with Mourinho.

Post #491391  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:22 am 

Bloody dull affair. Dunno what it is about el and cl broadcasts but the sounds is usually crap and there is almost nothing resembling an atmosphere.

Post #491392  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:23 am 

john1 wrote:
... But I still dont think Sanchez' transfer had much to do with winning things - follow the money, and he's probably not the brightest light in the sky, so probably fairly easily led by his agent.
Yes. If he wanted to win medals why not stay at Barca? They usually have plenty on offer. Anyway, good luck to him earning what he can out of the stupidly rich United.

Post #491393  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

True

Arsenal may have been bad but Man U have been shite too. 400 million and they're still crap. Escape Wenger, yep but Mourinho is a narcissistic *%^@ who I would think most would want to avoid unless motivated by other things.

Post #491394  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 am 

One noticeable thing about Guendouzi, beyond his passing ability and ball control, is the way he makes himself available to receive passes. For a teenager I think that's really impressive and surely says something about his personality as well as his talent. He plays with intelligence. He's a very confident young man, and just as vital is that his confidence doesn't appear misplaced.

Post #491395  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
john1 wrote:
... But I still dont think Sanchez' transfer had much to do with winning things - follow the money, and he's probably not the brightest light in the sky, so probably fairly easily led by his agent.
Yes. If he wanted to win medals why not stay at Barca? They usually have plenty on offer. Anyway, good luck to him earning what he can out of the stupidly rich United.

I thought Sanchez was a tremendous player for us, but unfortunate to arrive for the toxic last few years of the Wenger era. There was very little right at the club and this obviously frustrated him.
I'm sure he's gone for the loot but who can blame him under the circumstances.

Post #491396  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:43 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just as a side issue Guendouzi is improving all the time and looks like he can ultimately be an important player. I don't mean in 5 years but late this season and next season. His passing range and ability to see attacking options is very very good. Coupled with Iwobi and other players generally improving, do we miss Wilshire and Walcott - I don't. The medical staff probably miss the regular contact with Wilshire.

Oh you big ol tease. The only person to have missed Walcott would be Lomekian and that was around 2014. The rest wrote him off in 2012.

Post #491397  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am 

dec wrote:

Too bloody right. He had lost motivation before he left and has done zero at United. Would have preferred a bit more cash in the transfer but he didn't want to play for Arsenal anymore so good riddance.

Post #491398  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Exactly. The mistake was not getting rid of him sooner so we could get full value, but he would've left regardless. And we're better off with Mkhitaryan anyway.

Agree first bit but think Mkhitaryan had been pretty poor so far. He's being played in different positions but also seems to play with the motivation of someone who feels he's already done enough in his working/football life.

Post #491399  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
On the subject of Fabregas I found the comments Michael Carrick made in his book about us interesting. Carrick spoke to Wenger who told him we wanted to sign him and would call him to sort out the details the Monday after the community shield game against united. Then famously Cesc ran rings around Roy Keane in that game and the call never came.

When Carrick was a kid at West Ham, Wenger said at an AGM (now a thing of the past) how much he liked him. Wenger made it perfectly obvious that at that point in time (which would have been earlier than the Community Shield game you mention) he wanted to sign Carrick.

Post #491400  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

This is largely about having a drum and casting around for a stick to beat it with. The exit of Sanchez, RvP and Fabregas were more about those players than Wenger.

Alexis and RvP were both after the big payday. RvP had one brilliant season with us and then hit the road--this after we'd show patience for 7 years. Cesc ... well.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12282, 12283, 12284, 12285, 12286, 12287, 12288 ... 14269  Next