Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 89 guests

Post #491161  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:52 am 

I liked him at one point but glad we never got Morata. Chelsea up 1-0 and Mourinho may be gone by Xmas if results keep going against him. No one expecting Man Utd to win but he has to leave with a draw.

Post #491162  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am 

dec wrote:
Lads, you are essentially complaining about capitalism. Top level football has been big business for decades. Man City and Chelsea are the outliers here, not Arsenal. That's not to say that I don't have sympathy for you, Bernard, I do. But as you know, the markets don't work on sentiment.

This scenario has nothing to do with capitalism. A small group of minor shareholders and lifelong arsenal fans can do nothing to affect his decision making and how he runs the club. So why then force them to sell their shares ? It’s peanuts to someone like Kroenke. An irrelevance.

And also fair enough if you do it however don’t give the big one about upholding tradition and values after doing it as you look something of a hypocrite and turd burglar to boot.

Just saying we need to just accept this stuff is like taking a dump in your hand and then slapping yourself and just shrugging oh well that’s life.

Post #491163  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
Lads, you are essentially complaining about capitalism. Top level football has been big business for decades. Man City and Chelsea are the outliers here, not Arsenal. That's not to say that I don't have sympathy for you, Bernard, I do. But as you know, the markets don't work on sentiment.

This scenario has nothing to do with capitalism. A small group of minor shareholders and lifelong arsenal fans can do nothing to affect his decision making and how he runs the club. So why then force them to sell their shares ? It’s peanuts to someone like Kroenke. An irrelevance.

And also fair enough if you do it however don’t give the big one about upholding tradition and values after doing it as you look something of a hypocrite and turd burglar to boot.

Just saying we need to just accept this stuff is like taking a dump in your hand and then slapping yourself and just shrugging oh well that’s life.

Hopelessly passing your time in the grassland away
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air
You better watch out
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Jordan, and I have seen
Things are not what they seem
What do you get for pretending the danger's not real
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel
What a surprise
The look of terminal shock in your eyes
Now things are really what they seem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oJt_5JvV4

Post #491164  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm 

jesus. Man U have been utter garbage but 2-1 up. Chelsea good for 45 and the woeful once Man Utd stacked their right to defend (shutting down Hazard).

Getting interesting now.

Post #491165  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm 

jesus. Man U have been utter garbage but 2-1 up. Chelsea good for 45 and the woeful once Man Utd stacked their right to defend (shutting down Hazard).

Getting interesting now.

Post #491166  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 pm 

Mourinho. What a *%^@. Aww didums someone rang through the technical area. Commentators going on and on about class despite everything that prick has done. Unbelievable.

Post #491167  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:26 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Mourinho. What a *%^@. Aww didums someone rang through the technical area. Commentators going on and on about class despite everything that prick has done. Unbelievable.

Just pantomime - but they should have let him get to that big bloke who ran past him - he would have been screaming 'hold me back!!'
Anyway, happy with the late equalizer, if we can manage to beat Leicester we go level with Chelsea and seven ahead of United.

Post #491168  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:32 am 

Didn't realise Reiss Nelson is only 18. Thought he's same age as AMN. It'd be fantastic if they and Emile Smith Rowe become important squad players for us in the next couple of years.

Post #491169  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:56 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Anyway, happy with the late equalizer, if we can manage to beat Leicester we go level with Chelsea and seven ahead of United.

Must admit bromley, as much as I dislike Manchester United I wasn't happy about Chelsea's equaliser. For as long as Mourinho stays in post, I think we've got a much better chance of finishing above United than Chelsea.

Therefore I reckon it would be better for Arsenal, if we beat Leicester, to be one point ahead of Chelsea and five ahead of United (the scenario if we beat Leicester had Chelsea not equalised) than the scenario as it will be should we win tomorrow. Namely, level on points with Chelsea and seven ahead of United (as you pointed out).

Post #491170  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Must admit bromley, as much as I dislike Manchester United I wasn't happy about Chelsea's equaliser. For as long as Mourinho stays in post, I think we've got a much better chance of finishing above United than Chelsea.

Therefore I reckon it would be better for Arsenal, if we beat Leicester, to be one point ahead of Chelsea and five ahead of United (the scenario if we beat Leicester had Chelsea not equalised) than the scenario as it will be should we win tomorrow. Namely, level on points with Chelsea and seven ahead of United (as you pointed out).

I enjoyed their distress, but I would have to agree that United winning would have been better. If we are going to get fourth we have to finish above one of Chelsea or Spurs (penciling in Liverpool and City for top spots). I watched the Spurs game and I thought they looked very efficient--while West Ham did quite a lot Spurs looked that could easily take it up a gear or two. I still think Chelsea is our most likely direct rival.

Post #491171  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:29 pm 

You will struggle to get a better roast beef in London on a Sunday than at Hawksmoor. Spectacular and recommended

Post #491172  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 am 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -club.html

Sad for him. If not for injuries, he could have become one of the better players in the EPL. Always liked the fight he has in him.

But staying with Wenger just because Wenger has faith in him, will not make him a better player. I think Emery would make him a better player, in deploying him with the more appropriate tactical set-up. He would have instructed Jack to adjust his style according to the opposition too. Wenger is one dimensional (IMO).

Post #491173  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

AG, can you send the link?

sent.

Just finished watching it. Thanks for the link.

Wonderful to re-live the euphoria of that night. I recall screaming in the middle of the night after the game ended. My wife was awaken by it, but was happy to know Arsenal won it.

I had said this before, but not many would believe me. I won my office pool, and I think was the only person to predict an Arsenal victory. I even joked of a last-minute goal to win the championship. I think all other bets were on Liverpool. Those who were in the betting pool definitely recall this. Almost everyone was laughing at me and saying I was a fool to bet an Arsenal victory. I told them, "money where the mouth is" :laughing7:

Post #491174  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 am 

The game against Leicester & then Sporting is for me the first opportunity we will have to determine if Emery has began to turn around the club in relation to our mental toughness.

We need an EPL win just to maintain pace in the race for 4th & Sporting should be a win to maybe top the group. In past years these are the games we fail in. Mentally, Wenger would then cover for them - tired after the internationals, games too close together etc. so squeaky bum time has arrived. Have they really changed or will it be the same old story.

Post #491175  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:01 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The game against Leicester & then Sporting is for me the first opportunity we will have to determine if Emery has began to turn around the club in relation to our mental toughness.

We need an EPL win just to maintain pace in the race for 4th & Sporting should be a win to maybe top the group. In past years these are the games we fail in. Mentally, Wenger would then cover for them - tired after the internationals, games too close together etc. so squeaky bum time has arrived. Have they really changed or will it be the same old story.

Emery has personnel to rotate amongst. I trust he is more adept at it than Wenger.

Post #491176  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:19 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Emery has personnel to rotate amongst. I trust he is more adept at it than Wenger.

I will not be surprised if there is not much rotation this week. I don’t think Emery believes in the tiredness excuse. I think before the Fulham game he was asked about the squad being tired after travelling for the European game & he said no they should be fit enough.

Post #491177  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 am 

Hope I'm wrong but I've got a bad feeling about tonight's match. Me and the friend I sit with always give each other our pre-match predictions for the score. Mine is going to be 1-1. Can't explain why. I realise we've not only got better players than Leicester, but we're at home. Anything other than a win will be disappointing. I'm just expecting to be disappointed.

Post #491178  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hope I'm wrong but I've got a bad feeling about tonight's match. Me and the friend I sit with always give each other our pre-match predictions for the score. Mine is going to be 1-1. Can't explain why. I realise we've not only got better players than Leicester, but we're at home. Anything other than a win will be disappointing. I'm just expecting to be disappointed.

Leicester haven't taken a point at Arsenal since 1995, and the previous one to that was 1975. This is one of our home bankers and I can only see an Arsenal win tonight by 2 goals or more.

Post #491179  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 am 

Niall wrote:
Leicester haven't taken a point at Arsenal since 1995, and the previous one to that was 1975. This is one of our home bankers and I can only see an Arsenal win tonight by 2 goals or more.

In fact, I think we beat them home and away in the their title winning season.

Post #491180  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:39 am 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I realise logic suggests we'll win, albeit runs of results don't last forever. I've just got a feeling we'll drop points tonight. Don't know why, but I do.

Post #491181  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:39 am 

Bernard wrote:

Mee will be looking down on this email with a smile, knowing his spirit lives on.

Post #491182  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm 

Somebody whisper in Mee's ear that Wes Morgan isn't playing. He's always a pain when he plays against us, something to prove or possibly just a dislike of the Arsenal?

Post #491183  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:54 pm 

Leicester City either wins or loses so far this season. No draws but I could see a draw happening. They are not a bad side even with the quality they have sold.

Post #491184  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I will not be surprised if there is not much rotation this week. I don’t think Emery believes in the tiredness excuse. I think before the Fulham game he was asked about the squad being tired after travelling for the European game & he said no they should be fit enough.

That said, I think he will still rotate one or two positions.

Post #491185  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm 

I see there's a new football film out called 'the Bromley Boys'. I'm sure it will remind American of me for many years to come.

Post #491186  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:57 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Somebody whisper in Mee's ear that Wes Morgan isn't playing. He's always a pain when he plays against us, something to prove or possibly just a dislike of the Arsenal?

The bigger pain is Jamie Vardy - scores against big teams, his game is set up to play against big teams with a high line. Add in his 'ability' to win penalties, he needs to be kept quiet tonight

Post #491187  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:

I realise logic suggests we'll win, albeit runs of results don't last forever. I've just got a feeling we'll drop points tonight. Don't know why, but I do.

We find it hard against Vardy. Add to that our unbeaten run has to end sometime, our winning run against Leicester at home and the fact neither Arsenal or Leicester have been involved in a draw this season I'm with you Bernard. 2-2 for me.

Post #491188  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:15 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Is Bayern Munich doing their best Trump impression and calling the German media fake news? lol

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45915862

I'm not a school teacher and I'm not Daz but ffs American it's 'are Bayern Munich etc etc '

Post #491189  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

The bigger pain is Jamie Vardy - scores against big teams, his game is set up to play against big teams with a high line. Add in his 'ability' to win penalties, he needs to be kept quiet tonight

Indeed. He is very good on the break and won't be as profligate as most of the strikers we have faced this season.

Post #491190  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:23 pm 

John wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Is Bayern Munich doing their best Trump impression and calling the German media fake news? lol

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45915862

I'm not a school teacher and I'm not Daz but ffs American it's 'are Bayern Munich etc etc '

https://www.dictionary.com/e/collective-nouns/
Generally, in American English, collective nouns take singular verbs. In British English, collective nouns are more often treated as plurals that take plural verbs.
However, the use of a singular or plural verb can depend on the context of the sentence.
If you are referring to the whole group as a single entity, then the singular verb is best.

Post #491191  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If you are referring to the whole group as a single entity, then the singular verb is best.

So all the football fans and commentators in the UK have it wrong then, and have had for at least the last 50 odd years?

Hmm. I’ll stick with the British way.

Post #491192  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
British English

aka 'English'.

Post #491193  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Mee will be looking down on this email with a smile, knowing his spirit lives on.

It does have that feel about it. Leicester looked very lively against Everton Vardy messed up quite a few. But I'm optimistic rather than expecting to be disappointed. I'm hoping our strikeforce will be at THEIR best ... 3-1.

Post #491194  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:57 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
British English

aka 'English'.

also, &*^*4 what the "English usage" guides or the Queen says about how it ought to be spoke.

Post #491195  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm 

... although strictly speaking, and to be fair, AG is correct on this one :42laughter:

Post #491196  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 pm 

Bare bones in defence. Lichtsteiner at left back. Medley the only defender available on the bench
Iwobi, Özil, Mkhitaryan behind Lacazette. Aubameyang, Ramsey, Welbeck on the bench

Post #491197  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:
... although strictly speaking, and to be fair, AG is correct on this one :42laughter:

Post #491198  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 pm 

Ramsey dropped again. Good for you Emery

Post #491199  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 pm 

warrior wrote:
Decaf wrote:

:laughing7:

Post #491200  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

So all the football fans and commentators in the UK have it wrong then, and have had for at least the last 50 odd years?

Hmm. I’ll stick with the British way.

No, the UK commentators are 100 percent right. John was saying I was grammatically incorrect probably because he thought Americans were taught the same grammar rules.

No one has an issue when I don't use a 'u' when I write labor or honor because they know Americans are taught differently.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12277, 12278, 12279, 12280, 12281, 12282, 12283 ... 14269  Next