Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 142 guests

Post #491081  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am 

I think his son Josh will be much better. He won't be ideal. But the one thing I like about him is that he wants to win. He has managed one of his father's professional sides with the intention of making them competitive and he may not have been as successful as the fans would have liked but the big difference between him and his father is he cares more about winning than his father.

Post #491082  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:11 am 

Off topic but the stock market took a sizable dip a few days ago. World markets dropped as most of you well know. I am no economic expert by any stretch of the imagination but I worked in the industry for a number of years and trade on the side.

Most independent experts are convinced we are in a bubble, at least the major economies (U.S., UK, Australia, China, etc.) and we are headed for a crash and recession worse than 2008.

I believe them. In the U.S. we are nursing at least 4 bubbles, 5 or 6 actually but 4 that we at least admit to. The UK has another housing bubble, especially in and around London.

Any of you concerned? Preparing? Don't know or care? haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZIslV__2KY

Post #491083  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:31 am 

Congrats to "King" Henry being made coach of Monaco. With Vieira at Nice its going to be 'nice' rivalry when the meet. :icon_mrgreen: hehehe...what's that phrase you all use? "I'll get me coat"

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45848579

Post #491084  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:50 am 

Babu III wrote:
Goonie wrote:
The DD/AW show wasn't too bad.

Yeah, throwing away all the Tradition and History for a new plastic Stadium with plastic fans and plastic players, owned by an American.
It wasn't toooooo bad, I guess...

I was thinking more of the glory Wenger years at Highbury.

Post #491085  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:18 pm 

Babu III wrote:
Yeah, throwing away all the Tradition and History for a new plastic Stadium with plastic fans and plastic players, owned by an American.
It wasn't toooooo bad, I guess...

:knob:

Post #491086  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Off topic but the stock market took a sizable dip a few days ago. World markets dropped as most of you well know. I am no economic expert by any stretch of the imagination but I worked in the industry for a number of years and trade on the side.

Most independent experts are convinced we are in a bubble, at least the major economies (U.S., UK, Australia, China, etc.) and we are headed for a crash and recession worse than 2008.

I believe them. In the U.S. we are nursing at least 4 bubbles, 5 or 6 actually but 4 that we at least admit to. The UK has another housing bubble, especially in and around London.

Yes, I'm concerned that what looks like a very promising crisis might fizzle out. A deep purge is needed. A really good economic crash looks like just about the only way the Republicans can be dislodged from the national intestines.

Post #491087  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:25 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm deeply leveraged in the US, HK and Singapore markets. So everyday Trump tweets, my heart jumps faster. Hopefully a clearer direction after mid-term.

Post #491088  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:27 am 

After the so called 'Great Recession' of 2008, Obama and the Federal Reserve, propped up the American economy by hook or crook. The stock market (S&P) was a no brainer. Quantitative Easing, and other things meant the market was going to go up and they were not going to let it drop on its own weight. Making money trading was easy. Buy the market on any dip and let it ride, till it retreated a little. Americangooner was a happy camper..lol. I knew the market was being propped up by smoke and mirrors and eventually it would all come down like a house of cards.
Trump changed all that. Last day of January the markets had what some call a 'flash crash'. We had another recently. The number of points is really irrelevant. A 200 point drop when the market is at 1500 is visibly different than when its at 2900. The percentage drop is what is important. That said, by all accounts (of respected financial people) we are headed for a tsunami of a crash. Trump is speeding up the process. It's not a political statement just a financial one. Some would argue (and I would agree) its needed. We need to purge ourselves economically off the old ways. But its going to be very, very bad for a lot of people and what will these masses do, and I count myself among them, is going to be 'interesting' to say the least.
My guess? We we will see a sharp change to far left ideology in America in much the same way Trump ushered in fringe right (alt right).
I am curious to see how it plays out in England as well. I think after all is said and done, America will no longer be seen as the premier world power. I think it will be China. In much the same way after WW2, the UK was no longer the premier world power and America took over. And in much like the UK, America will stil be very relevant but no longer the same stature.

Post #491089  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 am 

As the season goes on and the squad evolves, its okay to revise goals. Until we play another top 5 club, we won't really know where we stand. Right now, the goal is simply not to lose to any of them away and depending on the club possibly nick a home win.

So, if we continue down this path, I don't think we can catch City or Liverpool. However, I think Man Utd (already behind us) and possibly Tottenham and Chelsea can be caught and passed when all is said and done. In other words, 3rd is doable if a few things happen and one of them is the defense. We have an embarrassingly high goals against number when you look at a complete table that includes goals for and against and goal difference. If we can keep it under 30 at the end of the season, I'll be happy.

So, if the team defense gets better. It's certainly doable.

Post #491090  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:47 am 

Wenger on Ramsey's contract: "I dont really know what's happening at Arsenal. Sure, Aaron is in a strong position now. But I dont know how far #Arsenal will go in terms of giving him a huge contract. These things were once my responsibility, but not anymore. I'm happy about that"

Bitterness written all over that quote. Thank *%^@ he’s gone.

Post #491091  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:47 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, if we continue down this path, I don't think we can catch City or Liverpool. However, I think Man Utd (already behind us) and possibly Tottenham and Chelsea can be caught and passed when all is said and done.

American, I assume you didn't check the league table before writing that post. Arsenal are actually in front of Tottenham. It's close, same games, same points, but Arsenal's goal difference is currently one better than Tottenham's. That mean's Arsenal are currently one place ahead of them in the league table.

Post #491092  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
After the so called 'Great Recession' of 2008, Obama and the Federal Reserve, propped up the American economy by hook or crook. The stock market (S&P) was a no brainer. Quantitative Easing, and other things meant the market was going to go up and they were not going to let it drop on its own weight. Making money trading was easy. Buy the market on any dip and let it ride, till it retreated a little. Americangooner was a happy camper..lol. I knew the market was being propped up by smoke and mirrors and eventually it would all come down like a house of cards.
Trump changed all that. Last day of January the markets had what some call a 'flash crash'. We had another recently. The number of points is really irrelevant. A 200 point drop when the market is at 1500 is visibly different than when its at 2900. The percentage drop is what is important. That said, by all accounts (of respected financial people) we are headed for a tsunami of a crash. Trump is speeding up the process. It's not a political statement just a financial one. Some would argue (and I would agree) its needed. We need to purge ourselves economically off the old ways. But its going to be very, very bad for a lot of people and what will these masses do, and I count myself among them, is going to be 'interesting' to say the least.
My guess? We we will see a sharp change to far left ideology in America in much the same way Trump ushered in fringe right (alt right).
I am curious to see how it plays out in England as well. I think after all is said and done, America will no longer be seen as the premier world power. I think it will be China. In much the same way after WW2, the UK was no longer the premier world power and America took over. And in much like the UK, America will stil be very relevant but no longer the same stature.
The US wont shift far left. It never has and never will.

Post #491093  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wenger on Ramsey's contract: "I dont really know what's happening at Arsenal. Sure, Aaron is in a strong position now. But I dont know how far #Arsenal will go in terms of giving him a huge contract. These things were once my responsibility, but not anymore. I'm happy about that"

Bitterness written all over that quote. Thank *%^@ he’s gone.
Really? What was Context? Did he offer that freely in which case, yes ... or was he responding to a (stupid) question? If the latter what should he have said? "No comment" would have been taken as exhibiting bitterness ...

Post #491094  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
So, if we continue down this path, I don't think we can catch City or Liverpool. However, I think Man Utd (already behind us) and possibly Tottenham and Chelsea can be caught and passed when all is said and done.

American, I assume you didn't check the league table before writing that post. Arsenal are actually in front of Tottenham. It's close, same games, same points, but Arsenal's goal difference is currently one better than Tottenham's. That mean's Arsenal are currently one place ahead of them in the league table.

Perhaps he's blocked the league table?

Post #491095  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:38 pm 

A bottle of the 1945 Romanee-Conti fetched £424,000 at an auction. I bought the 1990 DRC (Domaine de la Romanee-Conti) for £550 around mid-1993 to mid-1994. Not at an auction, but BBR (Berry Bros & Rudd). Lucky I did as in a few months (the end of 1994) the DRC had gone up at BBR to £700 per bottle.

Despite the DRC being wonderful, as a rule I tend to struggle with red Burgundy. The pinot noir is not my favourite grape variety as it generally makes lighter wines. I much prefer thrusting, full-bodied wines. Also, I think you usually have to spend a lot of money to even get a semi-decent Burgundy. To an even greater extent than with Bordeaux.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7490112/b ... ction/amp/

Post #491096  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
A bottle of the 1945 Romanee-Conti fetched £424,000 at an auction. I bought the 1990 DRC (Domaine de la Romanee-Conti) for £550 around mid-1993 to mid-1994. Not at an auction, but BBR (Berry Bros & Rudd). Lucky I did as in a few months (the end of 1994) the DRC had gone up at BBR to £700 per bottle.

Despite the DRC being wonderful, as a rule I tend to struggle with red Burgundy. The pinot noir is not my favourite grape variety as it generally makes lighter wines. I much prefer thrusting, full-bodied wines. Also, I think you usually have to spend a lot of money to even get a semi-decent Burgundy. To an even greater extent than with Bordeaux.

One should always keep an open mind ...

I prefer thrusting, full-bodied, midfielders ... but perhaps Torriera will bring me round.

Post #491097  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:08 pm 

Nice interview with GG here:
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football ... -1-4814568

Post #491098  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:19 pm 

Interesting comments from Mertesacker on Wenger and Emery. Just before his bit on Čech, if you'd rather not read the whole thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... l/45764376

Post #491099  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

One should always keep an open mind ...

I prefer thrusting, full-bodied, midfielders ... but perhaps Torriera will bring me round.

I'd say Torreira was quite thrusting and full-bodied. If Özil is the footballing equivalent of pinot noir, I'd count Torreira as merlot.

Post #491100  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Depends on your definition. Far left in the US is anyone with a smidgeon of a social conscience; see Obamacare, derided as far left. Bernie Saunders, a moderate Labourite in UK terms but far left in the US.

Post #491101  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:42 pm 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Depends on your definition. Far left in the US is anyone with a smidgeon of a social conscience; see Obamacare, derided as far left. Bernie Saunders, a moderate Labourite in UK terms but far left in the US.

Definitions can be stretched beyond breaking points, however ... Bernard describing Torriera as 'full bodied' for example ...

Post #491102  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Definitions can be stretched beyond breaking points, however ... Bernard describing Torriera as 'full bodied' for example ...

He's a midget but lots of guts.

Post #491103  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:58 am 

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/france/s ... ional-team

What a huge psychological dent, feel sorry for him.

Post #491104  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 am 

http://global.espn.com/football/blog/th ... ch?src=com

Always liked Per, a very likable man

Post #491105  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:59 am 

gooner7 wrote:
http://global.espn.com/football/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/3668802/arsene-wenger-back-in-dugout-for-ex-arsenal-captain-per-mertesackers-tearful-farewell-match?src=com

Always liked Per, a very likable man

Per is great to have around a locker room. He would be great to have now if he were still capable, just for the positive attitude, etc.

Post #491106  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:56 am 

john1 wrote:

Bernie Sanders is not moderate. He espouses the most radical sort of identity politics.

Post #491107  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 am 

Gunfire wrote:
john1 wrote:

Bernie Sanders is not moderate. He espouses the most radical sort of identity politics.

Your statement is incoherent. You should try to understand centre-left politics before commenting on it.
a) Bernie is a moderate. He is a mild Keynesian/social democrat.
b) he does not espouse 'identity politics'.
c) identity politics is not radical by definition. As part of class politics and intersectionality maybe ... but 'identity politics' per se: no way, Jose.

Post #491108  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

He's a midget but lots of guts.

A bionic shrimp.

Post #491109  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:39 am 

Credit to the England squad that they have gotten good enough where an England vs Spain game is not a forgone conclusion to be a loss.
I think they are not as good as the '90s team. The '90s team faced stiffer competition I think. France was stronger late '90s. Italy was a good team then. Germany was always strong but strong then and not as strong now.
But its to take anything away from this bunch. There is a confidence and a slight swagger to them. I think what helps them that wasn't around nearly as much in the '90s is that they are playing with and against the best in the world week in, week out. Not nearly as much international quality in the '90s in the league.

Post #491110  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 am 

Gunfire wrote:
john1 wrote:

Are you being serious?

Post #491111  Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm 

John Simpson saying the Glazers want to sell Manu to Mohammed Bin Salman. If true then given recent events it could get interesting.

Post #491112  Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:51 am 

Decaf wrote:
Your statement is incoherent. You should try to understand centre-left politics before commenting on it.
c) identity politics is not radical by definition. As part of class politics and intersectionality maybe ... but 'identity politics' per se: no way, Jose.

I think you need to read up on Sanders. You clearly don't know his politics.

Post #491113  Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Have to agree to suggest sanders plays identity politics is a ridiculous statement. He opposes it strongly ...

Last edited by warrior on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #491114  Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 pm 

john1 wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Are you being serious?

Seemingly. Presumably based on some fake news about Sanders playing to the white base? There was quite a lot of that about at one point. Who knows.

Post #491115  Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:40 pm 

:42laughter:

Post #491116  Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:26 pm 

I really hope both Henry and Vieira become top coaches. Martinez had glowing things to say about Henry. He seems to have little doubt Henry will do well and even said Henry may manage Arsenal one day.

https://www.facebook.com/GiveMeSport/vi ... 420784592/

Post #491117  Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:37 pm 

Reiss Nelson with a 30 yard free kick, scoring on his first start for the eng u21 to follow up a goal and assist when he came on as sub for his debut earlier in the week.
The Hoffenheim move is doing him the world of good, glad he signed the long term deal before he went, City must be annoyed they couldn’t get Jadon Sancho to do the same

Post #491118  Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 am 

Rich wrote:
Reiss Nelson with a 30 yard free kick, scoring on his first start for the eng u21 to follow up a goal and assist when he came on as sub for his debut earlier in the week.
The Hoffenheim move is doing him the world of good, glad he signed the long term deal before he went, City must be annoyed they couldn’t get Jadon Sancho to do the same

Now to get Smith-Rowe a similar path. 2019-2020 is looking good for us.

Counting the chickens before they are hatched. No matter what, better than when the previous regime kept relying on already impotent cocks to impregnate the infertile hens.

Post #491119  Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:54 am 

This is kinda cool. At first I thought this NBA player was a foreign player or raised overseas or played or lived overseas like Kobe Bryant (Milan fan I think). But no, he's an American born and bred player and loves football and I'm guessing would rather play it if he had the skillset for it. I assume he's a gooner as well unless he visited other clubs.
His visit to Ashburton Grove, yes, I'm still not going to refer to it by its corporate sponsored name (hat tipped to Babu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_S-Ij89Wsw

his highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jlePH9_Wh8

Post #491120  Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:06 pm 

Babu III wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Fifa 19 is shocking I’m surprised you can play it. If you play your striker in through on goal with yards to spare the defender always catches him. It’s just not fun and seems a scramble. Think I will persist for a bit then ditch it

I hope you stuck with it

I had the same problems at first with the striker, but a slightly different timed nudge on R3 will get him away from the defender.
This is the best one yet. By far, especially with our Thursday Night Cup in it now!

I haven’t it’s crap.

The majority of games are draws because of the changes, it’s like playing noughts and crosses now. The goals scored are typically because of mistakes rather than good play.

[ 570735 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12275, 12276, 12277, 12278, 12279, 12280, 12281 ... 14269  Next