Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 91 guests

Post #491041  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:36 am 

A few years ago I posted a Cake team:

Graham Stack

Rum Babayaro
Trevor Cherry
Ashley Doughnut Cole

Mikel Artarta
Nigel Reo-Coconut
Jason Yule Log

Robin Vanilla Persie
Juan Pablo Angel
Francis Jaffas
Jamie Lardy

Manager: Jose Meringue
Referee: Mark Battenburg

Apologies...

Post #491042  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 pm 

Babu III wrote:
Ash wrote:

Because you can have cake or eat it, you can’t do both. If you eat it you don’t have it anymore.

You’re taking about having cake THEN eating it. You can’t have your cake AND simultaneously have eaten it. It’s isn’t Shrodingers cake.

Yup, that's why at the end I put this...

Babu III wrote:
Yeah, I'm eating my cake...

It's about that one moment in time, where all that exists in the Universe is you and a cake. It isn't in a box, you can see it, and most definitely there is an option there to eat it. Why would anyone chose the option " Do bugger all" ? It's a cake, after all.
Even if you didn't like cake you could, I assume, take it as if to eat it, and then throw it away. So why would anyone take the option " I want to have a cake but NOT eat it? " That is my question.

Budgeting, bro.

Although this logic can lead to 'not having ones cake and not eating it', as with Tory budgets.

I vividly remember being the victim of this reversed proverb when I was a kid ... hoarding goodies I got for Xmas like a little miser ... and my sister's friend eating the lot.

:20hospitals: :20hospitals:

Post #491043  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:27 pm 

Did one of you old geezers date one of these women? An gooner in LA had this pic from his father's days. Why do I have a feeling Babu has carnal knowledge of one of them? The far right...hmmm....talk about 'bell bottoms'. :icon_mrgreen:

Attachments:

Post #491044  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 am 

Arsenal legend Paul Merson says Gunners are ‘all over the place defensively’ despite 9 win streak

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... nal-emery/

Post #491045  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 am 

warrior wrote:
Arsenal legend Paul Merson says Gunners are ‘all over the place defensively’ despite 9 win streak

We'll see when we face liverpool. Nice season so far. Excellent wakeup call at the beginning. Then a stretch of not too tough but decent opposition to sort things out.

Post #491046  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 am 

Is May about to tell the Dupers to "do one".. exciting times!

Post #491047  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

This has been debate in pubs all over. Which club had the greatest PL season? I think our invincibles and last season's City side stick out for me. But to be fair, I wasn't around in the early days of the PL.

It's tough to argue against an unbeaten season. Did we even look like losing? City didn't look like losing through the calendar season..till they lost. The Man Utd treble season stands out but they won the league by a point. I think the 2000 side was more dominant in terms of the league. Their 3 losses includes a 5-0 drubbing at Chelsea and a 3-0 loss at Newcastle so....

Tough but as I said, I'm biased.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45759826

Post #491048  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:05 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
This has been debate in pubs all over. Which club had the greatest PL season? I think our invincibles and last season's City side stick out for me. But to be fair, I wasn't around in the early days of the PL.

It's tough to argue against an unbeaten season. Did we even look like losing? City didn't look like losing through the calendar season..till they lost. The Man Utd treble season stands out but they won the league by a point. I think the 2000 side was more dominant in terms of the league. Their 3 losses includes a 5-0 drubbing at Chelsea and a 3-0 loss at Newcastle so....

It might be strange today but if you put all those title teams against each other I could quite easily see the first Chelsea team under Mourinho coming out on top - certainly in one off games. Only 15 goals conceded all season and 25 clean sheets. Could any of the other great teams have broken them down?
The invisibles will always have one thing the others never got so I’d always back them in an argument with other fans but that Mourinho team was ruthlessly brilliant, not as easy on the eye as the others but they didn’t care

Post #491049  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Did one of you old geezers date one of these women? An gooner in LA had this pic from his father's days. Why do I have a feeling Babu has carnal knowledge of one of them? The far right...hmmm....talk about 'bell bottoms'. :icon_mrgreen:

That's French singer-songwriter Francois Hardy on the right circa 1969 :

She's 25 there.

Attachment:

Post #491050  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm 

Decaf wrote:
warrior wrote:

We'll see when we face liverpool. Nice season so far. Excellent wakeup call at the beginning. Then a stretch of not too tough but decent opposition to sort things out.

Following on from what you call "decent opposition", it should be remembered that we have played some fairly decent teams over the winning run. Cardiff are the only side who I perceive as being close to relegation certainties (Huddersfield are the other but we haven't played them yet). Newcastle and Fulham may struggle, but my own bet would be on them surviving, even if only just. We've beaten Newcastle and Fulham away, as well as in Cardiff a Warnock-led side who try to make up for a lack of quality with fight. I don't see any of those three away from home as a walk in the park.

At home we've beaten West Ham, Everton and a Watford team that had enjoyed a fine start to the season. Dropping points in any of those games would have been disappointing. But they're not bad at all. I'd say the worst teams we've faced were in the Europa League, and both games were negotiated comfortably. In my view it's been a positive start to the season, despite the defeats against City and Chelsea.

Post #491051  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Following on from what you call "decent opposition", it should be remembered that we have played some fairly decent teams over the winning run. Cardiff are the only side who I perceive as being close to relegation certainties (Huddersfield are the other but we haven't played them yet). Newcastle and Fulham may struggle, but my own bet would be on them surviving, even if only just. We've beaten Newcastle and Fulham away, as well as in Cardiff a Warnock-led side who try to make up for a lack of quality with fight. I don't see any of those three away from home as a walk in the park.

At home we've beaten West Ham, Everton and a Watford team that had enjoyed a fine start to the season. Dropping points in any of those games would have been disappointing. But they're not bad at all. I'd say the worst teams we've faced were in the Europa League, and both games were negotiated comfortably. In my view it's been a positive start to the season, despite the defeats against City and Chelsea.

Good points well made Bernard, and all without a single mention of cake :53big-emoticons:

Post #491052  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 pm 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

She's 25 there.

Attachment:
The attachment THbF5BT.jpg is no longer available

She was in the movie Grand Prix. Here with Antonio Sabato.

Attachments:
images-3.jpg
images-3.jpg [ 10.63 KB | Viewed 3098 times ]

Post #491053  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 pm 

We have had a very easy run of games. Cardiff are absolutely rubbish. Newcastle, Fulham and West Ham have shown relegation form. The Europa League teams were terrible. Everton are decent and Watford have started the season well. It's great to get the winning run but I can fully understand the reservations.

Post #491054  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm 

Francoise Hardy made some gorgeous records.

Last edited by warrior on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #491055  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

This will be hard for many people, particularly in the media to accept, but before the PL there was a very competitive league where George Graham took our 1990/1 team to only one defeat. Of course there were a few of Cloughies teams and even Liverpool teams who I think were very good as well.

If they want to restrict themselves to the PL then if an undefeated season is so easy why have the mega rich teams not yet repeated.

Post #491056  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:22 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

It might be strange today but if you put all those title teams against each other I could quite easily see the first Chelsea team under Mourinho coming out on top - certainly in one off games. Only 15 goals conceded all season and 25 clean sheets. Could any of the other great teams have broken them down?
The invisibles will always have one thing the others never got so I’d always back them in an argument with other fans but that Mourinho team was ruthlessly brilliant, not as easy on the eye as the others but they didn’t care

Hey Rich, I would vote for the invisibles, but I can't seem to find them on the field :42laughter:

Post #491057  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:22 am 

dec wrote:

I've always wanted to organise a threesome with two gorgeous girls - that way I could disappoint two women at once.

Post #491058  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

With full bias, the Invincibles!
So many have tried to get a record like this, and failed. And credit must go to the back 4 and the keeper. Stand up, Captain Adams!

Post #491059  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:45 am 

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

So many have tried to get a record like this, and failed. And credit must go to the back 4 and the keeper. Stand up, Captain Adams!

Adams left in 2002... that was the year EPL decided to use one match ball only. :1laughter:

Post #491060  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

This will be hard for many people, particularly in the media to accept, but before the PL there was a very competitive league where George Graham took our 1990/1 team to only one defeat. Of course there were a few of Cloughies teams and even Liverpool teams who I think were very good as well.

If they want to restrict themselves to the PL then if an undefeated season is so easy why have the mega rich teams not yet repeated.

I should have added we conceded 18 goals in 38 games.

Post #491061  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:55 am 

dec wrote:

A touch of real class. Thank's Dec.

Post #491062  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 am 

Reiss Nelson scored on his Eng U21 debut after coming on as a sub. It was a cheeky back heel finish as well.

Post #491063  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 am 

gooner7 wrote:

My Chelsea supporting friends may talk about how well disciplined Mourinho's side was in '05 regarding their defense but we'd have scored. We had too many weapons for any defense who was going to stay in their own end of the pitch. We'd have gotten a PK from them.

The most enjoyable match may be the Invincibles and the '18 City side.

If we can take part of a season, I'd say an uninjured Pires in the second half of the '02 season (imagine had he stayed healthy? but then Freddie wouldn't have been on fire possibly) would beat ANY side. ANY, Chelsea, City, and even comparing a bit of apples to apples, the '04 side perhaps. We talk about the Invincibles but the 2nd half of '02 with that run, you saw an Arsenal side that literally walked arrogantly into Old Trafford and even with a referee letting Man Utd foul and kick us at will and a determined Man Utd not to be bossed on their own pitch, we did.

I haven't been around from the beginning but as any domestic side ever went into Old Trafford in a huge, emotional, committed game and be completely bossed?

Although a great number of the players were the same, the 2nd half of the '02 season side was completely unstoppable. We spent some of the games in the '04 season not wanting to lose if we are honest. After the new year, we found ourselves undefeated, Man Utd having a bad run of matches and we were worried about losing even though we were likely to win the title.

The '02 second half was all swagger and arrogance wrapped around incredible skill and power. Where even the bench were scary to opposition. A mini '70 Brazil. :9adore-boo:

Post #491064  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am 

Goonie wrote:
Adams left in 2002... that was the year EPL decided to use one match ball only.

Where does this stuff about only using one ball come from? I'm sure these days you commonly see different balls thrown back.

Post #491065  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:31 am 

Ex-Arsenal star Nicklas Bendtner charged with violence over alleged attack that left taxi driver with broken jaw

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/e ... 287b76334c

Post #491066  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:57 pm 

The sad thing about Kanye West visiting the White House was that it was painfully obvious to anyone, to both sides of the political divide. he is mentally unstable. His foul mouth ridden, often incoherent rant can only mean he is off his meds. I don't say that jokingly. He is obviously in need of medical attention and the right wing is exploiting it as a man who has now seen the truth for what it is. Even if he lent the same support to Hillary Clinton in the same exact manner it would be a cause for alarm. To be fair, the Democrats would have welcomed that rant for their person as well. The man needs help. And that help won't come because the politics of it is too much to resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkv-9ifmY5w

Post #491067  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The sad thing about Kanye West visiting the White House was that it was painfully obvious to anyone, to both sides of the political divide. he is mentally unstable. His foul mouth ridden, often incoherent rant can only mean he is off his meds. He is obviously in need of medical attention......

Yes American, it reminds me of somebody else but I just can’t recall who for some reason .....

Post #491068  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:10 pm 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Adams left in 2002... that was the year EPL decided to use one match ball only. :1laughter:

Still stand up for leaving a strong legacy behind :12hello-bye: :42laughter:

Post #491069  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Adams left in 2002... that was the year EPL decided to use one match ball only.

Where does this stuff about only using one ball come from? I'm sure these days you commonly see different balls thrown back.

I seem to see only one ball being used throughout. Players had to stand and wait for the ball boys to retrieve the match-ball when it leaves the field. There was once the fans refused to throw the ball back, and it took a long while before officials decided for a new ball. And then the original ball was cheekily thrown back when the game was back in play.

Post #491070  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:34 pm 

If I recall (and my memory is very spotty) Chelsea played us twice in the league obviously but we also drew them in the FA cup and CL. The Invincibles beat Chelsea home and away and in the FA Cup. The week we lost to them in the CL, it was a killer week, we had to play them first leg in the CL, Man Utd in the FA cup, return leg CL and Liverpool a few days later. We were playing on tired legs every few days for a little over a week.

The '05 Chelsea team were fantastic but also caught a sweet spot. We were not as strong, Man Utd were rebuilding (finished 3rd back to back first time ever), Liverpool...well, were Liverpool...haha and City weren't their fully stocked oil rich squad yet. That Chelsea side still didn't beat us in the league. They drew both league matches. Hair close first match where we were beating them late in the match.

Post #491071  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
I seem to see only one ball being used throughout. Players had to stand and wait for the ball boys to retrieve the match-ball when it leaves the field. There was once the fans refused to throw the ball back, and it took a long while before officials decided for a new ball. And then the original ball was cheekily thrown back when the game was back in play.

Sorry but that's wrong, plain and simple. You often see ball boys throw a different ball back into play to the one that went out. I wasn't aware of the figures myself but Babu explained between 10 and 25 balls can be used per game and as he also said, the idea only one is used is a myth.

Post #491072  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 pm 

Babu III wrote:

That Chelsea team was the best ever, so far. Man City last year 2nd best..

My arse, they were. They were the first ones to have a really deep squad. I wouldn't put our Invincibles up there as the best, but they weren't far off and were the best attacking side. Man U from 99 to 01 were superb. Pre-PL Liverpool had some brilliant teams. Cloughie's Forest won back to back European Cups.

Post #491073  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:32 pm 

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles ... ub-4251338

Allan as a possible replacement for Ramsey? Can we have too many Torreira type midfielders?

Post #491074  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 pm 

Babu III wrote:
If I recall Arsenal hadn't lost to Chelsea for 17 games, but that game at Highbury in the Champions League sunk The Arsenal and started Chelsea's total dominance over Arsenal, and Jose's over wenger.
That Chelsea team won the Premier League 2 Seasons in a row as well, and destroyed the myth of wenger.

It was a matter of when not if for Chelsea. Planets aligned for them. We were moving to a new stadium and no money, Roman spent hundreds of millions of pounds. It wasn't so much Wenger than the same thing with City. Money. Unprecedented amounts of it. As much as much as Wenger frustrated me, he played a minor role.

Post #491075  Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:36 pm 

Babu III wrote:

The Arsenal could have had Roman, but oh no, they went for the DD/AW show and then Kroenke.

The DD/AW show wasn't too bad.

Post #491076  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:21 am 

Only Ramsey and Arsenal know the real truth but if this is true, I wonder why we withdrew the offer? Maybe Emery didn't want him?
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rams ... 08093.html

Post #491077  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

She's 25 there.

Edit = Ok - I had a 75 year old French guy here and he knows all these people. (" It's my vintage ")

In Order:

Far Left is = Johnny Hallyday - French singer - (Died Dec 5th, 2017) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Hallyday

Second left Sylvie Vartan = Bulgarian-French singer (She married Johnny Hallyday - 1965 - 1980) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvie_Vartan

Second from the right = Sheila - French singer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila_(singer)

Far Right = Francois Hardy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7oise_Hardy

Post #491078  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Sorry but that's wrong, plain and simple. You often see ball boys throw a different ball back into play to the one that went out. I wasn't aware of the figures myself but Babu explained between 10 and 25 balls can be used per game and as he also said, the idea only one is used is a myth.

ok, all these while, I must be watching the matches in mystical land :toothy9:

Post #491079  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:28 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Only Ramsey and Arsenal know the real truth but if this is true, I wonder why we withdrew the offer? Maybe Emery didn't want him?
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rams ... 08093.html

If I were manager, I would not play him after he has signed any pre-contract agreement in January. I do not believe he will burst his gut for the team if, and when, an agreement is in place. If I was in his position, I certainly won't go the extra mile to ensure Emery has a successful first season, after what had happened. Ramsey will sound politically correct all through the season about being a professional, and doing his best for the team. But, post January, it will be nothing but professional BS. I hope Emery sees it the same way, and give Iwobi, Smith-Rowe or AMN more playing time, in place of.

Post #491080  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:20 am 

Henry is close to being appointed Monaco manager, hopefully we can forge a good relationship with him and his club if he gets the job. Monaco bring some great youngsters through and it would also be a fantastic place for some of our younger players to go on loan....if they’re good enough

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12274, 12275, 12276, 12277, 12278, 12279, 12280 ... 14269  Next