Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 100 guests

Post #491001  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:55 pm 

Yes I think Bellerin can be added and yes we have seen some improved fairings from Mustafi and Xhaka but I just think the 3 players I mentioned have shown the most startling improvement with Iwobi looking full of confidence and Holding disregarding his wenegrised 2nd season syndrome he had last year and looking reasonably solid.

Someone also pointed out earlier (and I don’t know if this is right) but it’s the first away midday kick off we have won in ages. Emery seems to be killing the Wenger Stockholm syndrome our players had

Post #491002  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Nah.

Nevertheless interesting that Fulham had more goal attempts (21!), corners, and passes than us.

That stat needs to be taken with a pinch of salt as many of those were blocked shots as soon as they left the boot.....and many more were the wild long range attempts particularly by schurrle.
It is quite easy for a team to rack up goal attempts if you just shoot on site. I can’t recall a single time in the second half I was ever worried than any Fulham shot or move was going to be a goal

Post #491003  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 pm 

I like that the Emery has bought in genuine competition for places, has not been picking players on reputation and when fringe players have had a chance and performed well he has given them a start. Examples of all of this:
Guesndouzi starting the season and Torreira’s signing has improved Xhaka
Čech with genuine competition of a top class gk has performed as good as he ever has for us before his injury
Bellerin vastly improved with an experienced international breathing down his neck
Ramsey and Özil both left out of games
Holding did well in games and kept his place
Iwobi and Welbeck both doing well from the bench and in the cups and both start and play well today
Lacazette not in the 11 at the start of the season, made a difference in every sub appearance and now he’s starting and is our biggest threat
There are probably more examples as well

Post #491004  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Nevertheless interesting that Fulham had more goal attempts (21!), corners, and passes than us.

That stat needs to be taken with a pinch of salt as many of those were blocked shots as soon as they left the boot.....and many more were the wild long range attempts particularly by schurrle.
It is quite easy for a team to rack up goal attempts if you just shoot on site. I can’t recall a single time in the second half I was ever worried than any Fulham shot or move was going to be a goal

My point is that last season we would probably have had 60% possession and all but two of the shots ... leading to us losing 2-1 after leading 1-0 at half time.

Post #491005  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
I like that the Emery has bought in genuine competition for places, has not been picking players on reputation and when fringe players have had a chance and performed well he has given them a start. Examples of all of this:
Guesndouzi starting the season and Torreira’s signing has improved Xhaka
Čech with genuine competition of a top class gk has performed as good as he ever has for us before his injury
Bellerin vastly improved with an experienced international breathing down his neck
Ramsey and Özil both left out of games
Holding did well in games and kept his place
Iwobi and Welbeck both doing well from the bench and in the cups and both start and play well today
Lacazette not in the 11 at the start of the season, made a difference in every sub appearance and now he’s starting and is our biggest threat
There are probably more examples as well

Yes, its beginning to feel very good.

Post #491006  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:49 pm 

I bet quite a few members of the forum will regret saying that they'd get rid of the majority of our players and that we only had a handful of class players.

I'm sure you know who you are but it's all in the past and goes to show we can all be wrong at times.

Post #491007  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:00 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I bet quite a few members of the forum will regret saying that they'd get rid of the majority of our players and that we only had a handful of class players.

I'm sure you know who you are but it's all in the past and goes to show we can all be wrong at times.

It’s not a matter of being wrong at this stage. Lose to Liverpool or a north London Derby and opinion might change drastically. I agree with what Kevin wrote in the gooner the other week that Emery is using this season to qualify his squad by rotating and breaking up Wengers hierarchy.

We don’t seem to be breaking the bank to keep Welbeck, Ramsey or even Monreal who is out of contract in the summer I think so it’s not a complete vindication of anyone who has performed badly last year and it’s still worth pointing out there have still been some poor performances from people like Xhaka and particularly Ramsey in some but not all games. I still think there is only 3 world class players in this team and even with progress we are some way from competing for a title so it’s not the time to get carried away

I think the team that starts next season will be extremely different to this one once a few transfer windows pass.

Post #491008  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

It’s not a matter of being wrong at this stage. Lose to Liverpool or a north London Derby and opinion might change drastically. I agree with what Kevin wrote in the gooner the other week that Emery is using this season to qualify his squad by rotating and breaking up Wengers hierarchy.

We don’t seem to be breaking the bank to keep Welbeck, Ramsey or even Monreal who is out of contract in the summer I think so it’s not a complete vindication of anyone who has performed badly last year and it’s still worth pointing out there have still been some poor performances from people like Xhaka and particularly Ramsey in some but not all games. I still think there is only 3 world class players in this team and even with progress we are some way from competing for a title so it’s not the time to get carried away

I think the team that starts next season will be extremely different to this one once a few transfer windows pass.

We are still work in progress. I won't be too disappointed if we don't win any matches against any of the top five sides this season. Our away form was a bit of an anomaly last season - Emery has sorted that out it seems, so credit to him. Our squad is fully capable of getting at least 75 points - Wenger under-achieved last season but it seems like Emery is getting the best out of our squad. We could be genuine title contenders by next season.

Post #491009  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:16 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes it was an impressive game but I can also now say I’m officially impressed by start Emery has made. 2 obvious defeats aside I would have expected us to have dropped points in one of the other games by now. 9 consecutive wins is impressive stuff but the thing that strikes me is the hugely improved performances from 3 players in particular

Iwobi
Holding
Lacazette

....all 3 players look brimming with confidence and look completely different to the showing they provided last year. They say good managers make players better and bad managers make players worse.

Taking an oblique dig at someone? :1laughter: :42laughter:

Post #491010  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 am 

bubblechris wrote:

I'll put up my hand here :12hello-bye:

Although, for context, I was more for "Wenger out!" first. That was the fundamental issue staring us in the face.

Post #491011  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:24 am 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We are still work in progress. I won't be too disappointed if we don't win any matches against any of the top five sides this season. Our away form was a bit of an anomaly last season - Emery has sorted that out it seems, so credit to him. Our squad is fully capable of getting at least 75 points - Wenger under-achieved last season but it seems like Emery is getting the best out of our squad. We could be genuine title contenders by next season.

As ever, my fellow Singaporean remains diplomatic. Hey, too much of the Singaporean politeness :42laughter:

Wenger under-achieved LAST season :1laughter: . Are you sure he under achieved? And only last season? :1laughter: :15laughter:

Post #491012  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:30 am 

I wonder what Wenger is thinking of right now?

Is he being a "sour grape", and refuses to acknowledge Arsenal's progress under Emery?
Is he happy when Arsenal wins?
Is he waiting for the team to lose to the top tier teams, before coming out to make some oblique comments?
Is he texting Ramsey to make the situation no-better than it is now?

Or maybe, he is just the gentleman that he is, and relaxing on his "well" earned Arsenal wages?

Post #491013  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:46 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

As ever, my fellow Singaporean remains diplomatic. Hey, too much of the Singaporean politeness :42laughter:

Wenger under-achieved LAST season :1laughter: . Are you sure he under achieved? And only last season? :1laughter: :15laughter:

Wenger under-achieved in his last 2 seasons when he didn't get us the top 4 finish. He could not get us back into top 4 and was deservedly asked to leave. Arsenal did right by him by giving him a chance but results got worse instead of improving from the previous season.

Post #491014  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:48 am 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Wenger under-achieved in his last 2 seasons when he didn't get us the top 4 finish. He could not get us back into top 4 and was deservedly asked to leave. Arsenal did right by him by giving him a chance but results got worse instead of improving from the previous season.

cheers Goonie, just a friendly banter :58big-emoticons:

Post #491015  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:17 am 

gooner7 wrote:

Is he being a "sour grape", and refuses to acknowledge Arsenal's progress under Emery?
Is he waiting for the team to lose to the top tier teams, before coming out to make some oblique comments?

Or maybe, he is just the gentleman that he is, and relaxing on his "well" earned Arsenal wages?

I know this will come across a certain way, but deep down I really think Wenger hopes Emery fails. There I said it. :7laughter:
The biggest indictment on his last several years is if Emery improves results visibly in his first season.

I actually think conversely, Fergie is happy Mourinho isn't doing as well and I think his choosing of Moyes was about not having his legacy "tarnished" by a continuing of trophies and people saying it was being part of a 'system' than Fergie. Not true but I think Fergie might, just might be thinking that.

Post #491016  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 pm 

Deal with Adidas done apparently. £60m per season, doubling the Puma deal and second only to Man U's deal with Nike

Post #491017  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:49 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I know this will come across a certain way, but deep down I really think Wenger hopes Emery fails. There I said it. :7laughter:
The biggest indictment on his last several years is if Emery improves results visibly in his first season.

I actually think conversely, Fergie is happy Mourinho isn't doing as well and I think his choosing of Moyes was about not having his legacy "tarnished" by a continuing of trophies and people saying it was being part of a 'system' than Fergie. Not true but I think Fergie might, just might be thinking that.

Yes is does "come across a certain way". Not everyone is as petty as that.

The fact that Emery has done so well so far is a credit to him. But it also suggest that things were not nearly as bad as some people here are making out.

Wenger stayed a bit too long and things had gone a bit stale, to put it mildly. We should leave it at that.

Post #491018  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:23 pm 

Decaf wrote:
The fact that Emery has done so well so far is a credit to him. But it also suggest that things were not nearly as bad as some people here are making out. Wenger stayed a bit too long and things had gone a bit stale, to put it mildly. We should leave it at that.
Yes, keep it balanced. This stage last season after 8 games we were 6th in the League with 3 defeats (having beaten champs Leicester and drawn with Chelsea). We had won a League Cup tie and two Europa ties. Not a huge difference to now, though we do seem to be playing very well at present. When we beat some big teams I'll say to Dick, 'Ooh, you are cheeky, but I like you.'

Post #491019  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Good question, I was thinking the same. Much as we all agree he inherited a great back 4 and rode on their success, I think it fair to say that Ramsay's goal was very much made by Wenger in spirit and Emery is benefitting from that.

To answer your question, I think we know for sure what he won't say is 'yes, this is fresh and exciting, yet different, players are energised and I should have left years ago'.

Post #491020  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:22 pm 

Daveyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Good question, I was thinking the same. Much as we all agree he inherited a great back 4 and rode on their success, I think it fair to say that Ramsay's goal was very much made by Wenger in spirit and Emery is benefitting from that.

'.

So now Wenger is making goals in spirit !terrific. His ghost roams the Emirates looking to take credit for anything that may occur.

If that was the case Aubameyang rather than skimming the ball across the box for Ramsey would have chose to cut the ball back to Monreal on the edge of the box who then passes back to Xhaka and then ......

Post #491021  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 pm 

We are rumored to be interested in a Paraguayan MLS midfielder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1Fv9auEMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-T-nEa5yw

Post #491022  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:

'.

So now Wenger is making goals in spirit !terrific. His ghost roams the Emirates looking to take credit for anything that may occur.

If that was the case Aubameyang rather than skimming the ball across the box for Ramsey would have chose to cut the ball back to Monreal on the edge of the box who then passes back to Xhaka and then ......

Actually, thinking abut it, you are not wrong at all. All that never shoot if a pass can put someone in a better position nonsense that was the death of entertainment. I take it all back. Thank you.

Post #491023  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 pm 

Just reading where Gary Neville says we won't end up challenging for the title. My reaction is "so what?". We were 6th last year. Challenging for the title is way, way over expectations. It's really a nonsensical comment to some extent. No one, including Arsenal fans expect to be challenging City this season. It's asking way, way too much for this club. If we end up doing so, its fantastic.

We take one match at a time, and see where it take us. This season is about two things. Fixing the holes in the squad (defense, belief, etc.) and getting back to CL football. Those are reasonable and doable goals. It doesn't mean we don't try and beat any of the top 5 clubs, which is silly to think otherwise, but just that setting goals way higher than what we are realistically capable of is more detriment than anything else.

Post #491024  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm 

Daveyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Actually, thinking abut it, you are not wrong at all. All that never shoot if a pass can put someone in a better position .

....or not

Post #491025  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:42 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just reading where Gary Neville says we won't end up challenging for the title. My reaction is "so what?". We were 6th last year. Challenging for the title is way, way over expectations. It's really a nonsensical comment to some extent. No one, including Arsenal fans expect to be challenging City this season. It's asking way, way too much for this club. If we end up doing so, its fantastic.

We take one match at a time, and see where it take us. This season is about two things. Fixing the holes in the squad (defense, belief, etc.) and getting back to CL football. Those are reasonable and doable goals. It doesn't mean we don't try and beat any of the top 5 clubs, which is silly to think otherwise, but just that setting goals way higher than what we are realistically capable of is more detriment than anything else.

Low hanging fruit - beat Spurs at home, and finish higher than them
Let's start with that

Post #491026  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:

'.

I agree with Davey. Clearly Emery inherited a lot from Wenger. Much of it good, some of it pretty fetid.

You seem to want to have your cake and eat it, Top Gun.

You seem to want to say
a) that NOTHING of Wenger's spirit lingers. This argument is employed when something good happens. For example, if a good movement is completed with someone actually having a bloody shot even if they are more than 3 yards out (as opposed to the ball, after reaching Özil in a highly promising position, being shuttled via a series of lovely backward and sideways passes, back to our goalkeeper).

AND
b) that his spirit still hangs around like a bad fart. This argument is trundled out (and the NOTHING argument is parked) when something goes wrong.

Post #491027  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:06 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I agree with Davey. Clearly Emery inherited a lot from Wenger. Much of it good, some of it pretty fetid.

You seem to want to say
a) that NOTHING of Wenger's spirit lingers. This argument is employed when something good happens. For example, if a good movement is completed with someone actually having a bloody shot even if they are more than 3 yards out (as opposed to the ball, after reaching Özil in a highly promising position, being shuttled via a series of lovely backward and sideways passes, back to our goalkeeper).

AND
b) that his spirit still hangs around like a bad fart. This argument is trundled out (and the NOTHING argument is parked) when something goes wrong.

On the contrary I think there is nothing left of Wengers legacy it’s been rightly dismantled. Pretty much all the technical team got fired, we’ve even got a new CEO. New methods and tactics.

What Emery hasn’t been able to change though is the players he inherited and gaps in his squad as this will take significant investment and time. I’m pretty sure Emery will sign a wide midfield plAyer first opportunity. What seems illogical to me though is to put down Ramsey’s goal to Arsene when it displayed confidence and decisiveness that was beyond Wengers side for some time let’s be real.

Post #491028  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 am 

Babu III wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

On the contrary I think there is nothing left of Wengers legacy it’s been rightly dismantled. Pretty much all the technical team got fired, we’ve even got a new CEO. New methods and tactics.

What Emery hasn’t been able to change though is the players he inherited and gaps in his squad as this will take significant investment and time. I’m pretty sure Emery will sign a wide midfield plAyer first opportunity. What seems illogical to me though is to put down Ramsey’s goal to Arsene when it displayed confidence and decisiveness that was beyond Wengers side for some time let’s be real.

Wenger who? Wenger was the $@$*#y swiss army knife, bought out by Victorinox so as not to sully the great name of Swiss Army Knives.

That goal was more down to the opposition having given up the fight. Fulham are going straight down, mark my words.
That is the sort of goal that you can get when you're taking the piss out of your opponents, and they couldn't give a toss because their wages have come in already. The Mood with the fans seems to have changed though, and I was singing "Unai Emery's Red and White Army" in an English Pub before my real game started. Very nice actually.

But the reality is that Arsenal have played no-one in this 9 game run. They struggled against Man City and Chelsea, and they're only playing Europa League this season. Let's see what happens til New Year. Although looking at the fixtures, there is only Liverpool at the start of November, then Spurs and ManU at the start of December, and Liverpool at the end of the Year that stand in our way of winning every game til 2019. I think we'll probably lose those 4, but those games are our mark this year. Get a couple of points from them and we are improving.

Emery needs to get a winger, a centre back, and probably another central midfielder by next season, but it's looking good so far. The team spirit seems to be getting better, lots of people are now thankfully telling the truth about the growth that has finally been removed from the Arse, and the Future looks bright.

When you say Emery has played no one I’m assuming you mean the typical top 6 from last year? Because at the moment we seem to be beating everyone else. The Liverpool game will be the most significant indication of our progress so far as we all knew city and Chelsea was scuttle us. The ultimate indication are the games againest spurs where it will be fascinating to see what’s between us.

Look we all know we won’t win the league but that’s not the target. The target is surely top 4 which would be a great achievement

Post #491029  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 am 

Babu III wrote:
I've never understood this saying.

I've got a cake.
What do I want to do with it?
Well, eat it, of course.

Yeah, I'm eating my cake...

Well, a gentleman would offer a piece to someone. :1laughter:

Reminds me of a Benny Hill skit. There are two slices of cake. One big, one smaller and he takes the bigger piece. And the woman with him says 'I would have taken the smaller one' and Benny looks at her and says 'You got the bleeding thing didn't you?'

Post #491030  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:00 am 

John Terry retires. Hated him throughout his Chelsea career. However, I do recall he was linked to us right before Roman took over at Chelsea. If true, oh what could have been?

Post #491031  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:33 am 

Babu III wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

When you say Emery has played no one I’m assuming you mean the typical top 6 from last year? Because at the moment we seem to be beating everyone else. The Liverpool game will be the most significant indication of our progress so far as we all knew city and Chelsea was scuttle us. The ultimate indication are the games againest spurs where it will be fascinating to see what’s between us.

Look we all know we won’t win the league but that’s not the target. The target is surely top 4 which would be a great achievement

The run we're on now started against West Ham, then Cardiff City, Newcastle, Vorskla Poltava, Everton, Brentford, Watford, Qarabag and Fulham, FFS.
Arsenal Ladies would have a pretty good go at that load of collective garbage.

I'm still impressed though, I'm happy with Unai, I got FIFA 19 and have started a 2nd Career Mode with The Arsenal, and will probably be going to an away game again this season with renewed optimism about where the team is going.

We are playing Europa League, so we have a real chance of going far in that competition and going for 4th place, and make no mistake, 4th would be a big result, as you say. I'm confident we will be challenging. THFC have already showed that new Stadium/Champions League/no new signings could be a bit tricky, Man U...well, who knows, Liverpool are 2 injuries away from mediocrity, only leaves Chelsea and Man City really, and they did turn us over early on, so those 2 must be what we're aiming for...

I'm hoping for 3rd, would be very happy with 4th, would consider 6th a disaster.
And at least semis in the Europa League and FA Cup.

Fifa 19 is shocking I’m surprised you can play it. If you play your striker in through on goal with yards to spare the defender always catches him. It’s just not fun and seems a scramble. Think I will persist for a bit then ditch it

Post #491032  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:28 pm 

Babu III wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I've got a cake.
What do I want to do with it?
Well, eat it, of course.

Ooooooooooh, but then the cake is gone. Oh no, what can I do? Fuuuuck! Where can I get another cake? Hmmmm. Probably the same place I got the last one. The cake shop!!!

Whereas what you seem to think is that the best thing you can do with a freshly baked cake is to put it on a pedestal and not eat it, just gaze at it admiringly all day long, remembering what it looked like when it first arrived, imagining what it would have tasted like on that first day when it was fresh and inviting, but the reality is that it's slowly decaying in front of you, and you're getting hungrier and hungrier, and eventually the cake will be inedible and will have to be thrown into the garbage?!?

Yeah, I'm eating my cake...

" think is that the best thing you can do with a freshly baked cake is to put it on a pedestal and not eat it"

I can imagine Bernard nodding sagely to that one, his locks rippling glossily and catching the autumnal light.

Post #491033  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

You seem to want to say

AND

I think we should agree to disagree (another saying that Babu's mind might find hard to process--but I'll risk that) about that one.

Post #491034  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm 

Babu III wrote:
...Yeah, I'm eating my cake...

https://youtu.be/22iu_TQ6Vo0

Post #491035  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
What seems illogical to me though is to put down Ramsey’s goal to Arsene when it displayed confidence and decisiveness that was beyond Wengers side for some time let’s be real.

I'm not putting Ramsey's goal to Wenger. Just curious that none of the 100+ goals scored last season displayed anything like this "confidence and decisiveness" you mentioned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfgFJTlmoc

Post #491036  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:57 am 

Babu III wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Because you can have cake or eat it, you can’t do both. If you eat it you don’t have it anymore.

You’re taking about having cake THEN eating it. You can’t have your cake AND simultaneously have eaten it. It’s isn’t Shrodingers cake.

Post #491037  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:24 am 

You can't have your cake and eat it (too) is a popular English idiomatic proverb or figure of speech.[1] The proverb literally means "you cannot simultaneously retain your cake and eat it". Once the cake is eaten, it is gone. It can be used to say that one cannot or should not have or want more than one deserves or is reasonable, or that one cannot or should not try to have two incompatible things. The proverb's meaning is similar to the phrases "you can't have it both ways" and "you can't have the best of both worlds."

Post #491038  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 am 

Ash wrote:
Babu III wrote:

Because you can have cake or eat it, you can’t do both. If you eat it you don’t have it anymore.

You’re taking about having cake THEN eating it. You can’t have your cake AND simultaneously have eaten it. It’s isn’t Shrodingers cake.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #491039  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 am 

It's better to have had cake and ate it than to never having cake at all.

Post #491040  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 am 

I decided to do like Babu and have my cake and eat it too.

Last edited by warrior on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12273, 12274, 12275, 12276, 12277, 12278, 12279 ... 14269  Next