Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #490361  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:43 am 

Bit late in proceedings but just watched Serena Williams' antics ... pathetic ...... played the race , sexist , motherhood card ... I would never cheat because I have a daughter ...?????
More painful JK Rowling , Billie Jean King a host of others jump out of the woodwork to defend her .

Andy Roddick says he's done worse .... who cares you d*ckstop .... you had a flaky referee ...someone should have flattened you and McEnroe

At the press conference " Fighting for womens rights " Oh please .... big round of applause .. what is Osaka then a bloke ...?

American crowd booing ... brain dead .

Post #490362  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 am 

There’s been some pleasant surprises so far

Čech is having a decent season despite the passing stuff

Sokratis does look a decent player I think. Something slightly Keownish about him.

So far I think we are performing as expected in a transitional period. With Welbeck, Monreal and Ramsey all running down their contracts and unlikely to be with us next year I expect this will become more Emerys team next season. I think we are essentially playing for the 3 cups this year

Post #490363  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If Dier and Eellaini make appearances, I find it hard to see how Xhaka wouldn't play games for Tottenham and Manchester United.

He’s unable to play in either position remember. He’s not a holding midfielder but a box to box type that’s why he’s always screwing up.

Btw I thought he was possibly our best player yesterday although we know he can hit a screamer and find a pass this isn’t his problem

I don't think Fellaini can either, and Dier looks well dodgy to me, even at defensive midfield. The Tottenham fans I know don't think he's half as good as his reputation suggests, either. If I had the choice of having one of Dier, Fellaini or Xhaka at Arsenal, I'd choose Xhaka who I'd agree was arguably our best player.

Torriera seemed to improve things significantly when he came on, though to be fair I felt Guendouzi had a more than decent first half.

Post #490364  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 am 

Home Europa game next. I’d shuffle the pack and go with something like this.
Leno
Lichtsteiner Sokratis holding Monreal
Torreira Xhaka
Mkhitaryan iwobi Welbeck
Lacazette or Aubameyang

Kolasinac and AMN should get regular minutes in this comp when they’re fit.

Post #490365  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
So far I think we are performing as expected in a transitional period. With Welbeck, Monreal and Ramsey all running down their contracts and unlikely to be with us next year I expect this will become more Emerys team next season.

I agree with what you say about Ramsey and Welbeck. Maybe some kind of cheaper Sanchez Mkhitaryian swap in January for one or either can be sorted out. But whether it can or they go on Bosmans I'll be surprised if they're still Arsenal players next season.

When does Koscielny's contract end? Because he's 33 and injury prone. Hence I can see Emery being ruthless if it's next summer and not advising him being offered another. Of the three I think Monreal is the most likely to stay.

Post #490366  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
I don't think Fellaini can either, and Dier looks well dodgy to me, even at defensive midfield. The Tottenham fans I know don't think he's half as good as his reputation suggests, either. If I had the choice of having one of Dier, Fellaini or Xhaka at Arsenal, I'd choose Xhaka who I'd agree was arguably our best player.

Matic has regressed badly as well. Decent defensive shield but he's slower than Xhaka and has two concrete feet. James Milner is starting for Liverpool, doubt anyone would take him over Xhaka.

This was the third game in a row where Xhaka was one of our best players. It's clear we need Torreira to start alongside him though, I can only imagine Emery is worried about Torreiras fitness levels with him coming back from the World Cup late. We're noticeably better with him in the side and it allows Xhaka to focus more on our transition game. He's really excellent at that.

Post #490367  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sokratis does look a decent player I think. Something slightly Keownish about him.

Looks like a really good defender to me. The problem is that he's another number two, just like Mustafi and Koscielny (although he's way better than Mustafi and probably Koscielny too at this point). All of them would benefit from having a leader at the back, it's not a coincidence Koscielny had his best seasons playing with Mertesacker. That needs to be our next big transfer target. Just look at how van Dijk has improved Liverpools back four.

Post #490368  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So far I think we are performing as expected in a transitional period. With Welbeck, Monreal and Ramsey all running down their contracts and unlikely to be with us next year I expect this will become more Emerys team next season.

I agree with what you sayabout Ramsey and Welbeck. Maybe some kind of cheaper Sanchez Mkhitaryian swap in January for one or either can be sorted out. But whether it can or they go on Bosmans I'll be surprised if they're still Arsenal players next season.

When does Koscielny's contract end? Because he's 33 and injury prone. Hence I can see Emery being ruthless if it's next summer and not advising him being offered another. Of the three I think Monreal is the most likely to stay.

Kos has said he will leave in 2020 when his contract expires and will go back to France likely Lorient.

Post #490369  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm 

Did anyone see the post-match interview with Özil on MOTD? He said how happy he is at Arsenal, 'especially under the new coach'. Lineker described it as a 'pointed' remark.

Post #490370  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Did anyone see the post-match interview with Özil on MOTD? He said how happy he is at Arsenal, 'especially with the new coach'. Lineker described it as a 'pointed' remark.

To be honest pretty much all our players have said something similar. I thought Cazorlas comments were the most telling when he spoke about Emery calling him

"It’s normal to speak to someone who has been inside for their view. I told him what I thought: the things that he had to change and the things he had to reinforce.

"I can’t say [what they were]. That’s a secret.

“But I was clear, direct: I said that it was an incredible club, that had everything it needed to win, but that there were things that had to change.

“I said it would be hard to change some of them.

"Arsene was there for 23 years and changing 23 years overnight … it needs time.

The players knew Wenger was hopeless

Post #490371  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Looks like a really good defender to me. The problem is that he's another number two, just like Mustafi and Koscielny (although he's way better than Mustafi and probably Koscielny too at this point). All of them would benefit from having a leader at the back, it's not a coincidence Koscielny had his best seasons playing with Mertesacker. That needs to be our next big transfer target. Just look at how van Dijk has improved Liverpools back four.

We were rumoured to be interested in Koulibaly. Wonder if we will break the club's transfer record for a defender?

Post #490372  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

Concerning that Chambers isn’t getting minutes at Fulham. They are leaking goals and he hasnt started any of the last 3 games, playing only 21 minutes total from the bench.
If any young player is going to be deemed good enough to be part of Arsenal’s first team squad they should be starting for promoted teams.

Post #490373  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:46 pm 

I'm a little surprised at the expectations of Emery given the whole situation. He is in a new club, new country, with a language that is difficult for him. Given 50 million which may as well be 50 quid given the transfer market these days.

I was actually expecting us to possibly being 7th or 8th given the circumstances. He should be given this season to get his footing. The expectations of him and some fans want an 'immediate gratification' in the table. Key players in ongoing contract negotiations. Rival who are spending a king's ransom. Trying to introduce a new system and way of playing. It's a herculean task to pull that all off and especially in the time some fans are giving him which is no time.

Post #490374  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 pm 

Based on what I’ve just watched I reckon that Jack is going to struggle to regain his place at West Ham. Excellent performance all round there.

Post #490375  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:17 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I was actually expecting us to possibly being 7th or 8th given the circumstances.

Agree that Emery should be given time, but these are ridiculously low expectations. There's no excuse for allowing any of the clubs that finished below us last season to jump ahead just because we have a new manager.

Post #490376  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Based on what I’ve just watched I reckon that Jack is going to struggle to regain his place at West Ham. Excellent performance all round there.

He's off with an ankle injury now ...

Post #490377  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I was actually expecting us to possibly being 7th or 8th given the circumstances.

Agree that Emery should be given time, but these are ridiculously low expectations. There's no excuse for allowing any of the clubs that finished below us last season to jump ahead just because we have a new manager.

This getting worse to get better concept is weird. Makes no sense in a football context. Also, I don't know why American keeps going on about people not giving Emery time. Nobody has been in any way unreasonable in their assessments on this forum. We haven't put in a good performance yet but everyone is prepared to give it time.

Post #490378  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

This getting worse to get better concept is weird. Makes no sense in a football context. Also, I don't know why American keeps going on about people not giving Emery time. Nobody has been in any way unreasonable in their assessments on this forum. We haven't put in a good performance yet but everyone is prepared to give it time.

You have to remember that American doesn't actually read large chunks of the forum Dec. What you say is my experience too, I've seen virtually no impatience with Emery anywhere, no unreasonable expectations either.

Post #490379  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Did anyone see the post-match interview with Özil on MOTD? He said how happy he is at Arsenal, 'especially with the new coach'. Lineker described it as a 'pointed' remark.

To be honest pretty much all our players have said something similar. I thought Cazorlas comments were the most telling when he spoke about Emery calling him

"It’s normal to speak to someone who has been inside for their view. I told him what I thought: the things that he had to change and the things he had to reinforce.

"I can’t say [what they were]. That’s a secret.

“But I was clear, direct: I said that it was an incredible club, that had everything it needed to win, but that there were things that had to change.

“I said it would be hard to change some of them.

"Arsene was there for 23 years and changing 23 years overnight … it needs time.

The players knew Wenger was hopeless

The Özil interview was shown on MOTD2 as well. I saw the Cazorla interview when it came out. Notice he said he couldn't say what the changes were that he told Emery are required. Don't suppose it had anything to do with needing a new tea lady though. Wonder what Wenger felt about the Cazorla interview?

Post #490380  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Leno
Torreira Xhaka
Mkhitaryan iwobi Welbeck
Lacazette or Aubameyang

Interesting that you want Sokratis holding Monreal during the game. Can't Monreal hold himself? :42laughter:
Ok, stupid corny joke.

Agree we should let Leno & Lichtsteiner flex their muscles. I would let one or two young players get in too. Rest Lacazette. Let Aubameyang play, just to get his confidence back. He is not playing well at well.

Post #490381  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Leno
Torreira Xhaka
Mkhitaryan iwobi Welbeck
Lacazette or Aubameyang

Interesting that you want Sokratis holding Monreal during the game. Can't Monreal hold himself? :42laughter:
Ok, stupid corny joke.

Agree we should let Leno & Lichtsteiner flex their muscles. I would let one or two young players get in too. Rest Lacazette. Let Aubameyang play, just to get his confidence back. He is not playing well at well.

Post #490382  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
Did anyone see the post-match interview with Özil on MOTD? He said how happy he is at Arsenal, 'especially under the new coach'. Lineker described it as a 'pointed' remark.

Stating the obvious :58big-emoticons:

It was getting so so stale prior to the change

Post #490383  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:33 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

You have to remember that American doesn't actually read large chunks of the forum Dec. What you say is my experience too, I've seen virtually no impatience with Emery anywhere, no unreasonable expectations either.

AG, this is for your benefit, since you cannot read from those whom you have blocked. This will add to your perspective of what most at the forum are actually thinking right now. Perhaps because you blocked so many of them, you do not get the full perspective for the sentiments of forum members. :12hello-bye:

While you are in the US, can you ask Trump to shout his gap. Each time he opens his mouth, my investment portfolio suffers :8angers:

Post #490384  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am 

Is it too early to suggest arsenal, spurs and Man U are fighting it out for 4th place?

Post #490385  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:49 am 

Rich wrote:
Is it too early to suggest arsenal, spurs and Man U are fighting it out for 4th place?

I don't think Chelsea are guaranteed a top three place either, despite their strong start. Can see them and the three you mention fighting it out for third and fourth.

Post #490386  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:41 am 

gooner7 wrote:
AG, this is for your benefit,

Cheers gooner7, PM sent.

Post #490387  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am 

Rich wrote:

I think it looks that way now but things can and do change. I'd give sperz the edge. Every club loses to a side down in the table at some point. Losing at home to Liverpool is not anything you can ignore at all but its early in the season and if Liverpool are as strong as they appear we may see the Reds doing that to other top 6 clubs as well.
I'd put us at the bottom of the 'CL place league'. Chelsea may join that club despite their start. I'm not totally convinced by Chelsea. I don't see them as title contenders but definitely odds on favorite for a 3rd or 4th place finish from how it appears right now.
If we get our defense in order, we may make a few pundits eat their words.

Post #490388  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:15 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Another win :58big-emoticons: .. rubbish first half but improved in the second ... be patient ....

Once the team understands what the f*** Emery is on about we will see plenty of improvement .

I've just listened to his after match summation and it's like he is speaking English with a mouth full of ball bearings .

Bearing in mind that it's Emery's second language and he's learning as he goes I think his English is pretty good. At least he's not hiding behind an interpreter.

How's your Spanish then?

Post #490389  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I don't think Chelsea are guaranteed a top three place either, despite their strong start. Can see them and the three you mention fighting it out for third and fourth.

That's quite optimistic. I doubt that Spurs or United poor form will last. As for Chelsea, I wouldn't be surprised if they challenged for the title this season. So Id say its a very tough top five to crack this season. Anything better that sixth would be a very good season for Arsenal I think. 4th would be exceeding expectations considerably.

Post #490390  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:17 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That's quite optimistic. I doubt that Spurs or United poor form will last. As for Chelsea, I wouldn't be surprised if they challenged for the title this season. So Id say its a very tough top five to crack this season. Anything better that sixth would be a very good season for Arsenal I think. 4th would be exceeding expectations considerably.

I think we're more competitive than you presumably do. I think we'll be in the mix for a top four place. I'm not saying we'll get it, but if we do I don't think it "would be exceeding expectations considerably."

Post #490391  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 pm 

Rich wrote:

It's too early to say. Liverpool look good but an injury or two could really derail them. Maureen is going mental at Utd so that could fall apart completely.

I've no idea how good we are. We haven't played a good game yet. Our firepower got us past 3 poor teams but wasn't enough against Chelsea. I think we need to give it a month or 6 weeks before we get a reasonable idea of where teams are.

Post #490392  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm 

It will be interesting to see the changes we manage to make this season.
My prediction is that our home form against teams 7-20 will be as strong as last year
Our away form v teams 7-20 will improve a lot
Our total points Home and away v the big 6 will be much the same.

I 12or so point improvement on last years total

Post #490393  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I think we're more competitive than you presumably do. I think we'll be in the mix for a top four place. I'm not saying we'll get it, but if we do I don't think it "would be exceeding expectations considerably."

I'm just saying its a tough top four to crack this season. Either we have to be really good or we need two of those ahead of us to have poor seasons. 75 points, which would be a big improvement, might still get us 6th. I can't see another season where 71 got us second place like that one we finished second to Leicester.

I also think for us to challenge for a Champs league spot we will need to see a 'big' player or two having a standout season. Someone like Aubameyang, Xhaka, or Özil needs to emerge as a leader/inspirational figure.

Post #490394  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
I'm just saying its a tough top four to crack this season. Either we have to be really good or we need two of those ahead of us to have poor seasons. 75 points, which would be a big improvement, might still get us 6th. I can't see another season where 71 got us second place like that one we finished second to Leicester.

I also think for us to challenge for a Champs league spot we will need to see a 'big' player or two having a standout season. Someone like Aubameyang, Xhaka, or Özil needs to emerge as a leader/inspirational figure.

Okay but I think we're nearer to Chelsea and Man Utd than you. Even Tottenham.

Changing subjects, it's confirmed on Arsenal.com that Gazidis is off to Milan.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/ivan-gazidis-message-fans

Post #490395  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:10 am 

So Gazidis ousted Wenger just to leave himself? Or is he planning to hire Wenger to be Milan's manager?

Post #490396  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am 

Rich wrote:
It will be interesting to see the changes we manage to make this season.
My prediction is that our home form against teams 7-20 will be as strong as last year
Our away form v teams 7-20 will improve a lot
Our total points Home and away v the big 6 will be much the same.

I 12or so point improvement on last years total

I'd be disapoointed if Emery can't improve on total points in the league. We should be able to get 70 points minimally.

Post #490397  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:45 am 

Is Tim Payton of the Arsenal Supporter's Trust being fair to Gazidis? Saying he was 'conference level' in his tenure with us? I always thought Gazidis was hamstrung to a certain extent because of Wenger's power within the club. It's a very harsh statement.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ence-level

Post #490398  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:17 am 

Interesting thoughts in twitter now that it is official.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/tw ... ey=newsnow

Post #490399  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:30 am 

If I had the money, I'd actually buy an apartment there. In today's real estate market in large, global cities (London, Paris, NYC, Tokyo, etc.) it may not be outrageous but its not cheap either.

https://www.justarsenal.com/how-much-is ... now/147446

Post #490400  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 pm 

Goonie wrote:
So Gazidis ousted Wenger just to leave himself? Or is he planning to hire Wenger to be Milan's manager?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 1537278872

Arsenal CEO Ivan Gazidis to leave Premier League club and take up post at AC Milan

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12257, 12258, 12259, 12260, 12261, 12262, 12263 ... 14269  Next