Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests

Post #490321  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Emery is using Ramsey further forward. I would like to see a midfield combo of Xhaka, Torreira, and Guendouzi. Should make us a bit more solid defensively. Guendouzi could be the new Ray Parlour.

I'd say Guendouzi is technically a lot more gifted than Parlour.

Wot? The Romford Pele? Surely not. :42laughter:

Post #490322  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wot? The Romford Pele? Surely not. :42laughter:

I see Parlour as a club legend but not that technically gifted.

Post #490323  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
All points bulletin out for Hodd. Where have you been hiding? Big changes at The Arsenal. Emery's era has begun and not a peep. Report in!

Still here :12hello-bye:
Lots going on - all positive from what I’ve Seen.

Post #490324  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
What is the right system? And what is even his best position? It's definitely not defensive midfielder (a role that Dier is far superior at). It's not box to box midfielder as he doesn't have the pace or athleticism. Lomekian has suggested a Pirlo type role but he is simply miles away from being that good. Can he play a position like Eriksen or David Silva? Not to their level. So a sort of neat and tidy continuity player?

You seem quite sniffy about being neat and tidy or a continuity player. Comparing him to Pirlo is about as useful as comparing him to Vieira or Keane. There are very few as good as Pirlo in his role. If Xhaka isn't, that doesn't mean he can't do a good job for Arsenal. Koscielny was never as good as Adams or Campbell but was still a very fine player, even though I think he now needs replacing. Mkhitaryian isn't as good as Brady but will, I expect, be a fine signing. I'd say the same of Aubameyang even though he's not as good as Henry.

Xhaka isn't a defensive midfielder, so is it fair to criticise him when he was asked to play there? Dier couldn't play Xhaka's continuity game, so would it be fair to moan about him there? Babu mentioned a midfield of Torreira, Xhaka and Ramsey working. My guess is that this may well be Ramsey's last season due to his contract situation. But I can see Torreira, Xhaka and Guendouzi also working.

I'm not the one labelling him exceptional so I'm certainly not expecting anything like Pirlo or Brady levels from him. Actually, I don't expect much of him at all. He's a central midfielder with poor discipline, poor defensive abilities and a decent passing range when not under pressure.

Also, for what it's worth, I think Mkhitaryan has been disappointing. He looks like a pure fair-weather player and the biggest thing going for him so far is that Sanchez has been atrocious at Utd.

Post #490325  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:47 pm 

You just strike me as taking every opportunity to moan about him. You may well deny it but I almost get the impression you simply don't like him. Perfectly normal for fans of any club regarding the occasional player, even when it's not based on their quality. I feel Xhaka is better than some give him credit for, and that 'some' includes you.

Post #490326  Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Emery is using Ramsey further forward. I would like to see a midfield combo of Xhaka, Torreira, and Guendouzi. Should make us a bit more solid defensively. Guendouzi could be the new Ray Parlour.

I agree. But Parlour was effective for us at right midfield. Have we properly replaced him?

Post #490327  Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:50 am 

Weighing in on the Xhaka debate, I rate him 5.5/10. Good enough to be a key player in teams not challenging for major honours. But, not near good enough to be a key player (not even substitute), in a top honours challenging team. I think if he fundamentally change his attitude towards the game, he will improve exponentially. By that, I mean to give his game more urgency and to cut out his casual passes (which had led to quite a number of calamitous defending by the defenders or goals). My view of him is bias because he has both proven his worth and his weakness, albeit the end result from his weakness is more telling.

Post #490328  Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:06 pm 

Once Kos comes back the defense will be a bit more steady. That's our weakness, the defense and secondarily team defense. We are a very decent side once that is resolved.

We are visibly behind City, Liverpool and Tottenham. Chelsea and Man Utd are better but reachable. I have afith in Emery. I'm still surprised at how impatient some fans are.

Post #490329  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:02 am 

Babu III wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Weighing in on the Xhaka debate, I rate him 5.5/10. Good enough to be a key player in teams not challenging for major honours. But, not near good enough to be a key player (not even substitute), in a top honours challenging team. I think if he fundamentally change his attitude towards the game, he will improve exponentially. By that, I mean to give his game more urgency and to cut out his casual passes (which had led to quite a number of calamitous defending by the defenders or goals). My view of him is bias because he has both proven his worth and his weakness, albeit the end result from his weakness is more telling.

Maybe a 5.5/10 in his current position.

I think the casual passes and the lacking urgency is still a problem from the Wengker times...with his tippy-tappy-tikki-takki-what-the-fuki tactics. No-one forward is making any runs, ball gets passed from the left to right and back again, etc., etc.

Playing him further back, with a gaping hole in the middle that used to be our strength ( good CB's, a defensive system, and a good keeper ) doesn't help either.

The squad at the moment is unbalanced, and we have to fill round holes with square pegs.

Xhaka doesn't have to be THE SUPERSTAR, but in a TEAM he would be invaluable, keeping the ball moving, a great left foot, strong and not afraid of a challenge.

Football is a TEAM sport, not a collection of individuals.
Our "team" is non-existent. As yet.
Xhaka would be a vital ingredient in a team.

Good points mentioned. I hope Xhaka improves his urgency soon.

Post #490330  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 am 

I like Xhaka, flaws and all. What I particularly like about him is that he gives precisely zero *%^@* about who hes going up against, he isnt a bottler, he doesnt back down, and hes a unit. As a result Im not looking at Fellaini and Matic at Utd, for example, and thinking theyre just gonna squash us. Hes not fussed, so neither am I.

Ive had quite enough of us being pushed around physically and ld rather have a few more Xhakas in the team than any more mhikis and mesuts and other assorted pussies who disappear when it gets a bit tasty.

Post #490331  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
I see Parlour as a club legend but not that technically gifted.

Me too.

Post #490332  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:38 am 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
Ive had quite enough of us being pushed around physically and ld rather have a few more Xhakas in the team than any more mhikis and mesuts and other assorted pussies who disappear when it gets a bit tasty.

I think you make some good points there.

Post #490333  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 am 

Dear God ... the vaunted All Blacks are playing like sh^^%$%$ t .

. an idiot of throw in gifts them 7 points , kicking away possession , dropping the f**&& ball ..... not kicking the ball out after the half time siren gifts them another 3 . :36angers:

meanwhile South Africa are playing really well .

Post #490334  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:29 am 

Well done South Africa .... we were awful ....... Beauden Barrett missed three easy conversions

Post #490335  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:36 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Well done South Africa .... we were awful ....... Beauden Barrett missed three easy conversions

Why didn't they just go for the drop goal? It was there for the taking.

Post #490336  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:39 am 

Glad to see the Bokke win. Rugby in the south needed it.

Post #490337  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:54 am 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
I like Xhaka, flaws and all. What I particularly like about him is that he gives precisely zero *%^@* about who hes going up against, he isnt a bottler, he doesnt back down, and hes a unit. As a result Im not looking at Fellaini and Matic at Utd, for example, and thinking theyre just gonna squash us. Hes not fussed, so neither am I.

I know what you mean and he does like to put his foot in but goodness me he’s so *%^@*** lazy he barely wants to track back and has no sense of danger. It makes him even more of a liability than a placid passing type player like Denilson or Arteta

Post #490338  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:57 am 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think you're right about Xhaka, Babu. One of the players I've read most utter claptrap about on this forum, although I exclude the likes of Hazuki from that observation. I'm not sure the people I don't exclude from it are all English though.

He is far from being exceptional. He wouldn't make the first 11 for any of the other top 6 clubs.

I think this is the accurate analysis for Xhaka. He should be playing for someone like Newcastle or Everton

Post #490339  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm 

What does Torreira have to do to get picked ?

Post #490340  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:46 pm 

Same line-up as against Cardiff. Another away win? Think it makes sense to stick to a winning team.

Post #490341  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 pm 

Xhaka !

Post #490342  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

Xhaka earns his wages.....

Post #490343  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:14 pm 

Özil !

:58big-emoticons:

Post #490344  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 pm 

Great save from Čech :53big-emoticons:

Post #490345  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:50 pm 

No clean sheet for Čech again.

Good result though.

Tied with Spurs now.

Post #490346  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:56 pm 

Any away win in this league is not to be sniffed at. Torreira needs to start games now.
Not sure we are clicking but we’re winning games we need to win.
10 goals, 10 different goalscorers

Post #490347  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:58 pm 

Excellent result - two away wins on the trot. Didn't see it though - how was the performance?

Post #490348  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:59 pm 

Reid’s Nelson scores on his debut for hoffenheim

Post #490349  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:03 pm 

Credit to Xhaka. Well taken free kick and a good pass to Lacazette, which led to the Özil goal. :53big-emoticons:

Post #490350  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:04 pm 

Not exactly a classic, but I thought we showed some improvement here and there. Overall our best defensive performance this season, although it was disappointing that we couldn't keep a clean sheet. Sokratis in particular had a good game in defense. Xhaka had another good game. Özil got involved much more today. Bellerin is emerging as an attacking threat. Torreira must start.

Post #490351  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Sokratis in particular had a good game in defense.

I think Sokratis is showing himself to be a pretty decent signing so far. Both goals were very good. Xhaka's free kick was superb.

Post #490352  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:49 pm 

Rich wrote:

Post #490353  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Didn’t quite check my predictive text on his name!
It would be great if Reiss can establish himself in the first team in Germany and can come back to us a much better player.

Post #490354  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:13 pm 

4 straight home games for us now and a chance to see what teams Emery puts out for the cups.
It’s a shame Kolasinac and AMN are injured because they’d be shoe in for some minutes.
It would be good to see Nketiah and Smith-Rowe in the league cup

Post #490355  Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:40 pm 

I got given a ticket for spurs v Liverpool today, good chance to see both teams live.
Liverpool are the real deal. 2-1 flattered spurs, Liverpool dominated and had a strangle hold on the game. Van Djik is their rock. They also love the clipped balls between full back and centre back for one of their front 3 to run on to. I can see why Liverpool can sometimes struggle against packed defences.

Spurs were awful. Vorm inspires no confidence in the defence. Dier was slow, and Kane looked like a pub player. Something is up with Kane, he looked 2 yards off the pace, wasn’t sharp or alert and barely touched the ball, VVD bossed him all game. It’s more than a post work cup hangover, he was rushed back from injury at the end of last season and has been overplayed.

Oh and the atmosphere was awful, 80,000 and it was so quiet. Up until when spurs got their consolation I can only recall 2/3 whole stadium chants going round.

Post #490356  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
He is far from being exceptional. He wouldn't make the first 11 for any of the other top 6 clubs.

I think this is the accurate analysis for Xhaka. He should be playing for someone like Newcastle or Everton

If Dier and Eellaini make appearances, I find it hard to see how Xhaka wouldn't play games for Tottenham and Manchester United.

Post #490357  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:07 am 

Arsenal to win the league!! :58big-emoticons:

This could be Liverpool's year but they have had a few of those 'this year is it'.

City look so friggin' strong. They can lose a starter or two and still win comfortably. Liverpool have a couple players they can't win the league without.

Post #490358  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:18 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If Dier and Eellaini make appearances, I find it hard to see how Xhaka wouldn't play games for Tottenham and Manchester United.

He’s unable to play in either position remember. He’s not a holding midfielder but a box to box type that’s why he’s always screwing up.

Btw I thought he was possibly our best player yesterday although we know he can hit a screamer and find a pass this isn’t his problem

Post #490359  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 am 

A few thought on yesterday.

Great result. Average first half, much better second half.

Xhaka scored a cracker and contributed to the second so well done him. Much improved second half like the rest of the team.

Sokratis looked very good. I had my doubts when we signed him but he looks quicker than I thought and got us out of troubsle on a few occasions. He seems to be settling in well after a slow start.

Torreira is a real livewire and needs to start now I think.

Özil did a few nice things.

Still not seeing much evidence of this collective high press that Emery was supposed to be bringing to the table. Lacazette seemed the only one who was really in their faces when they had the ball.

Not sure what Emery is asking Guendouzi to do, he seems to be dropping almost into a third CB position when we have the ball. It gives us passing options at the back but it leaves us a bit light in the centre of the park.

Post #490360  Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 am 

Another win :58big-emoticons: .. rubbish first half but improved in the second ... be patient ....

Once the team understands what the f*** Emery is on about we will see plenty of improvement .

I've just listened to his after match summation and it's like he is speaking English with a mouth full of ball bearings .

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12256, 12257, 12258, 12259, 12260, 12261, 12262 ... 14269  Next