Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 101 guests

Post #490281  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:19 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...I cringed at Serena's outburst but it was more that it was so out of character for her. A female buddy of mine reminded me that McEnroe made a history of outburts far, far worse and was praised as a champion. Also, "Nasty" Nastase didn't get his name because he didn't wipe after himself.
McEnroe could explode at umpires but I can't recall him doing anything near as bad as Serena's appalling behaviour in this tournament. There was more devil in him than anything else. Nor Nastase, who was more of a jester on court than truly unsporting. Nobody can seriously dispute Serena's status as a great tennis player, but a champion can't do what she did. No excuses - she was wrong and should admit it rather than hiding behind an ism.

Post #490282  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:09 pm 

Fair enough omoh. When I saw it was cringeworthy. Born out of frustration no doubt. I assume it will be put behind her. It won't permanently tarnish her legacy.

Very happy for the winner though. The media is trying to make her the ambassador for Japanese tennis. Born in Japan, but left at age 3. She's culturally Haitian American like so many others in Miami where she lived with the Haitian side of her family. She politely sidesteps it.

Post #490283  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:17 pm 

John McEnroe at his very best. Swearing, racket abuse, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Nyc9jzSDg

Post #490284  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...I cringed at Serena's outburst but it was more that it was so out of character for her. A female buddy of mine reminded me that McEnroe made a history of outburts far, far worse and was praised as a champion. Also, "Nasty" Nastase didn't get his name because he didn't wipe after himself.
McEnroe could explode at umpires but I can't recall him doing anything near as bad as Serena's appalling behaviour in this tournament. There was more devil in him than anything else. Nor Nastase, who was more of a jester on court than truly unsporting. Nobody can seriously dispute Serena's status as a great tennis player, but a champion can't do what she did. No excuses - she was wrong and should admit it rather than hiding behind an ism.

Serena Williams' nursery tantrum was truly cringeworthy. Never mind praising the other girl later, she'd already ruined her day. As you say Hoy the focus on various isms since is a bad joke, and if she's apologised to the umpire I've missed it.

Post #490285  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Serena Williams' nursery tantrum was truly cringeworthy. Never mind praising the other girl later, she'd already ruined her day. As you say Hoy the focus on various isms since is a bad joke, and if she's apologised to the umpire I've missed it.

Even the praising of Osaka seemed a bit “look at me, how wonderful I am”.

Post #490286  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:35 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

A common trait amongst Americans it would seem, based on the vast amount of evidence from one particular poster on this very forum.

Post #490287  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:02 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Greetings Kiwi.

Did you watch any of the rugby this weekend? The plot line is becoming rather monotonous. Rampant All Black, and haplesd boks and Aussis. The boks actually remind me of arsenal somehow. One senses that a massive dose of laxatives is just about the only thing that might work.

I can see Argentina beating australia in Argentina, and the log ending up with NZ with a 100% record and the rest all tied for last ...

Gidday Decaf

..... no not much . The All Blacks were playing at the same time as the NZ Warriors rugby league were taking on the Penrith Panthers in the knock out stages of the Aussie rugby league competition . Seeing as it was 'only' Argentina I opted more of the latter and then the Sydney Roosters were doing battle at the same time as Oz v Boks so never saw any of that .
The Argies acquitted themselves well although we 'd blooded about six newcomers .

The "monotonous" plot is in my humble opinion of your own making .

South Africa has had a disproportional say in how the Super 15 is set up .... citing travel cost etc etc you've installed yourself in a cosy little conference with the Agentinian entry and the Japanese Sunwolves [ the latter pretty hopeless ]

This competition hones the skills of future All Blacks , Boks and Wallabies

It's like Arsenal playing in a league with Southampton , West Ham , Newcastle , Swindon , Hereford and Leyton Orient each year
and expecting massive improvement .

Can't remember the exact details but the son who follows it avidly ...[ not Granty Boy ; he wouldn't know the difference between rugby and ping pong ]

.. told me the SA finalist last year never played one Kiwi team in the run up and this year the Lions [ ?] made the final had less points than the fourth and fifth Kiwi teams .

The arse backwards way the competition is set up the top two of each conference goes through plus a couple of lucky losers ...something like that ,
which ensures SA and Australian participation in the finals to appease the 'money ' men and televison audiences from those countries even when their teams haven't neccesarily earned the right .

Kiwi teams are stronger in the first place so playing each other more often increases the divide between us and you .

Australia suffers in the same way
Think in the last forty odd encounters the Aussie teams have scored one win over a Kiwi team .

Plus we have a very very very good coach ....Steve Hansen would have to be the best ever .

Post #490288  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:07 am 

Hi Kiwi,

You clearly have excellent underage structures and coaching. You also have the advantage that any really talented kid will play rugby, whereas in most countries other sports cone into it. And maybe most importantly of all you had one of the greatest No.10s in history and when he retired, his replacement turned out to be another genius. Like having Pele in your team and once he hangs his boots up you get Messi.

Post #490289  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I agree with you about detracting from Osaka's moment.

However, I can see the point of those who argued that the umpire over-reacted and escalated the situation. People are quite rightly asking why the same umpire has in the past been far more lenient when men have had similar if not worse outbursts. Serena's sensitivities about racism and sexism are well known and in my view justified.

Sorry to say on this occasion Serena comes across as a very privileged and powerful individual who couldn't accept the umpire's decision when she was losing a tennis match. She compounds matters by then creating the smokescreen of sexism to cover her dreadful on-court behaviour. It is what it is - poor sportswomanship. La Bueno was fiery but she would never have let her standards drop so low.
Attachment:
maria-bueno.gif

You don't address my point. Has there been consistency? This was like a ref who suddenly decided to go gung-ho with yellows. Sometime de-escalation is the thing to do.

Also, I was very surprised that you manage to argue that McEnroe and Nastasie were not worse. That sort of justification is exactly what causes the perception of sexism.

Finally, tennis needs to wake up and get rid of silly rules. Rules are hard enough to enforce fairly without throwing silly unnecessary and unfair ones into the mix. If a coach is misbehaving, kick the coach out, ffs. Don't penalise the player. Imagine that when a soccer coach misbehaved a random player got a yellow .... I can see someone like Neymar taking that well.

https://www.facebook.com/BetweenTheScen ... kyNzc0NzY/

Post #490290  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Greetings Kiwi.

Did you watch any of the rugby this weekend? The plot line is becoming rather monotonous. Rampant All Black, and haplesd boks and Aussis. The boks actually remind me of arsenal somehow. One senses that a massive dose of laxatives is just about the only thing that might work.

I can see Argentina beating australia in Argentina, and the log ending up with NZ with a 100% record and the rest all tied for last ...

Gidday Decaf

..... no not much . The All Blacks were playing at the same time as the NZ Warriors rugby league were taking on the Penrith Panthers in the knock out stages of the Aussie rugby league competition . Seeing as it was 'only' Argentina I opted more of the latter and then the Sydney Roosters were doing battle at the same time as Oz v Boks so never saw any of that .
The Argies acquitted themselves well although we 'd blooded about six newcomers .

The "monotonous" plot is in my humble opinion of your own making .

South Africa has had a disproportional say in how the Super 15 is set up .... citing travel cost etc etc you've installed yourself in a cosy little conference with the Agentinian entry and the Japanese Sunwolves [ the latter pretty hopeless ]

This competition hones the skills of future All Blacks , Boks and Wallabies

It's like Arsenal playing in a league with Southampton , West Ham , Newcastle , Swindon , Hereford and Leyton Orient each year
and expecting massive improvement .

Can't remember the exact details but the son who follows it avidly ...[ not Granty Boy ; he wouldn't know the difference between rugby and ping pong ]

.. told me the SA finalist last year never played one Kiwi team in the run up and this year the Lions [ ?] made the final had less points than the fourth and fifth Kiwi teams .

The arse backwards way the competition is set up the top two of each conference goes through plus a couple of lucky losers ...something like that ,
which ensures SA and Australian participation in the finals to appease the 'money ' men and televison audiences from those countries even when their teams haven't neccesarily earned the right .

Kiwi teams are stronger in the first place so playing each other more often increases the divide between us and you .

Australia suffers in the same way
Think in the last forty odd encounters the Aussie teams have scored one win over a Kiwi team .

Plus we have a very very very good coach ....Steve Hansen would have to be the best ever .

100% correct Kiwi. The super 15 (or whatever it is) is one of the most ridiculous competition I have ever seen, and you are right about who is to blame. Short-sighed money grabbing plus some plain silliness.

We also still have a bonehead mentality in this country. Which just doesn't cut it in modern rugby.

Post #490291  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Fair enough omoh. When I saw it was cringeworthy. Born out of frustration no doubt. I assume it will be put behind her. It won't permanently tarnish her legacy.

Very happy for the winner though. The media is trying to make her the ambassador for Japanese tennis. Born in Japan, but left at age 3. She's culturally Haitian American like so many others in Miami where she lived with the Haitian side of her family. She politely sidesteps it.

I agree with you for once :42laughter:

Post #490292  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 am 

dec wrote:
Hi Kiwi,

You clearly have excellent underage structures and coaching. You also have the advantage that any really talented kid will play rugby, whereas in most countries other sports cone into it. And maybe most importantly of all you had one of the greatest No.10s in history and when he retired, his replacement turned out to be another genius. Like having Pele in your team and once he hangs his boots up you get Messi.

All true Dec .... Liam Messam used to play soccer with two of my kids till he was about thirteen then switched to rugby , second bloke you refer to ; Beauden Barrett did the same .

More money , much higher profile for our rugby players .

Represented NZ at soccer ...oh yeah ... yawn ....... he was an All Black ...wow

Guy who works at the Op Shop is an ex All Black .. Hika Ried .... he did a bit of coaching in Ireland for a club supported by some well heeled Irish building contractor Ray O' Rourke ....who now shouts him and his wife first class air fares , top accomodation , tickets to all the games at every world cup .

Post #490293  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 am 

dec wrote:
Hi Kiwi,

In SA, the ridiculously bloated super whatever it is, and the draw of club rugby in Europe, mean that the Curry Cup now now roughly equivalent to the league cup in terms of relative status. Rugby in places like the Eastern Cape (which has a massive rugby culture in the poor coloured and black populations) has been cast adrift.

Post #490294  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 am 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/rebelgirls/vid ... 996306766/

Just saying ...

Post #490295  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 am 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:
Hi Kiwi,

All true Dec .... Liam Messam used to play soccer with two of my kids till he was about thirteen then switched to rugby , second bloke you refer to ; Beauden Barrett did the same .

More money , much higher profile for our rugby players .

Represented NZ at soccer ...oh yeah ... yawn ....... he was an All Black ...wow

Guy who works at the Op Shop is an ex All Black .. Hika Ried .... he did a bit of coaching in Ireland for a club supported by some well heeled Irish building contractor Ray O' Rourke ....who now shouts him and his wife first class air fares , top accomodation , tickets to all the games at every world cup .

... to the extent that the first thought that pops into my mind when I hear the expression 'Kiwi footballer' is: "he must be crap at rugby".

Post #490296  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:
You don't address my point. Has there been consistency? This was like a ref who suddenly decided to go gung-ho with yellows. Sometime de-escalation is the thing to do.

Also, I was very surprised that you manage to argue that McEnroe and Nastasie were not worse. That sort of justification is exactly what causes the perception of sexism.

Evening Decaf

Chris Evert commented something to the effect of that while you see male tennis players breaking these sort of rules and getting code violations, they almost always rein it in before they get docked a game. Serena lost it completely. What is the official supposed to do when he's called a liar and a theif?
Quite interesting too that the male players being cited are McEnroe and Nastase - who were in their prime about 40 years ago! Couldn't they think of anybody more contemporary?

Post #490297  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Evening Decaf

Chris Evert commented something to the effect of that while you see male tennis players breaking these sort of rules and getting code violations, they almost always rein it in before they get docked a game. Serena lost it completely. What is the official supposed to do when he's called a liar and a theif?
Quite interesting too that the male players being cited are McEnroe and Nastase - who were in their prime about 40 years ago! Couldn't they think of anybody more contemporary?

Spot on, Bromley. You cannot call a referee or umpire's integrity into question. She was totally out of order.

Post #490298  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:12 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

:toothy9: Ahhh but you don't understand old people Brom ............. Mac , Nasty it seems but yesterday plus the mention of them shows his expansive knowledge of the tennis world ...hoping to pitch a bit out of your league so to speak .

Oldies have no idea what they had for lunch two hours previous but total recall for events from fifty / sixty years back .

Bet Old Man is searching through his clippings in the attic this minute to see if "Big" Bill Tilden or Jean Borotra had any disagreements with officials .

You want something a little more modern ; how about Jeff Tarango https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQ2-EwgdXQ

Post #490299  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

:toothy9: Ahhh but you don't understand old people Brom ............. Mac , Nasty it seems but yesterday plus the mention of them shows his expansive knowledge of the tennis world ...hoping to pitch a bit out of your league so to speak .

Oldies have no idea what they had for lunch two hours previous but total recall for events from fifty / sixty years back .

Bet Old Man is searching through his clippings in the attic this minute to see if "Big" Bill Tilden or Jean Borotra had any disagreements with officials .

You want something a little more modern ; how about Jeff Tarango https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQ2-EwgdXQ

Oh there wasn't just Jeff Tarango. Here's a list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com ... story/amp/

Post #490300  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 pm 

Zed wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Oh there wasn't just Jeff Tarango. Here's a list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com ... story/amp/

Murray kicking the ball and hitting the umpire, there's no way he was aiming to do that... :42laughter:

Post #490301  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 am 

Didn't see the match, so Xhaka bossed the midfield?
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... s-15140253

Post #490302  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 am 

Babu III wrote:
He ABSOLUTELY bossed the Midfield.

He is an exceptional player, in the right system.

And if the Island Monkeys in England can't see that, well...that's because most of them are monkeys.

Quite good at throwing their own *%^@ around, but as for football?

Ha ha. The English thought Wenger had new ideas!

:42laughter:

I think you're right about Xhaka, Babu. One of the players I've read most utter claptrap about on this forum, although I exclude the likes of Hazuki from that observation. I'm not sure the people I don't exclude from it are all English though.

Post #490303  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 am 

Babu III wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Didn't see the match, so Xhaka bossed the midfield?
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... s-15140253

And if the Island Monkeys in England can't see that, well...that's because most of them are monkeys.

Quite good at throwing their own sh.it around, but as for football?

Hmmm ........ well if he is this reincarnated Roy Keane / Patrick Vieira combo ....how come the Arsenal midfield gets steamrolled more often than not .

Post #490304  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Babu III wrote:

Hmmm ........ well if he is this reincarnated Roy Keane / Patrick Vieira combo ....how come the Arsenal midfield gets steamrolled more often than not .

Jesus wept, if a "Roy Keane / Patrick Vieira combo" is your starting point for judging midfielders, are you sure your expectations are high enough?

Post #490305  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:44 am 

Monreal on Emery's tactical objectives: “This is our idea for this year – have more possession, don’t lose stupid balls in the middle of the pitch and be more compact than how we were before.”

Speaks volumes about what they thought of wengers approach

Post #490306  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Jesus wept, if a "Roy Keane / Patrick Vieira combo" is your starting point for judging midfielders, are you sure your expectations are high enough?

Hello ...Swiss German ...that's good enough.

Since Mertesacker hung up his 20 kilo boots ... I'll move my Kraut leanings to Granit

Post #490307  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 pm 

One of the things that attracted me to the EPL in particular was the atmosphere and the chants. Sometimes I'd hear some chants at the pub but it was never the same obviously. When I went to my first Arsenal match I strained to hear every chant.

Last edited by warrior on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #490308  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Babu III wrote:

I'd like to see him and Torriera together as the article suggests. The terrier/Weimeraner combo.

Post #490309  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Babu III wrote:

Quite good at throwing their own sh.it around, but as for football?

I think you're right about Xhaka, Babu. One of the players I've read most utter claptrap about on this forum, although I exclude the likes of Hazuki from that observation. I'm not sure the people I don't exclude from it are all English though.

He is far from being exceptional. He wouldn't make the first 11 for any of the other top 6 clubs.

Post #490310  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He is far from being exceptional. He wouldn't make the first 11 for any of the other top 6 clubs.

In the right system he would. Dyer has played plenty of games in midfield for Tottenham and I think Xhaka is comfortably better than him.

Post #490311  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm 

For anyone who follows the Arsenal youth players more than I do, how good is Smith-Rowe? He’s scored again for the U21 team tonight.

Every year there seems to be a mini break through in pre season from a young player, but so few break through to establish themselves in the first team.

Smith-Rowe is in probably the toughest position along with CB for a young player to make it at a top team. Players in his position and often young strikers have to forge their way in to the first team by playing out wide

Post #490312  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

In the right system he would. Dyer has played plenty of games in midfield for Tottenham and I think Xhaka is comfortably better than him.

What is the right system? And what is even his best position? It's definitely not defensive midfielder (a role that Dier is far superior at). It's not box to box midfielder as he doesn't have the pace or athleticism. Lomekian has suggested a Pirlo type role but he is simply miles away from being that good. Can he play a position like Eriksen or David Silva? Not to their level. So a sort of neat and tidy continuity player?

Post #490313  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:01 pm 

American football training is completely nuts. We were doing this as 10 year olds. Called "bull in the ring", the players form a circle, someone is chosen to be in the middle, the coaches call out a players number and you have to charge the guy in the ring at full speed. The coach often tries to call a player behind you and if you are late reacting..well, it's not pretty. Also, the coach sometimes is sadistic (or more sadistic) and tries to toughen up a weak player by calling a number of a player much bigger. I hated this drill because I was small for a 10 year old. The coach should be calling players of equal size but my coach didn't like me and would call bigger players. Luckily I was popular and they took it easy on me. I was also a running back, with pace and was needed. I broke my ankle in high school doing a similar type of drill. A lineman (one of the big guys) fell over one of my legs and sat on my ankle. Never really healed right. To this day, decades later I can tell you when its going to rain or snow.

There is a reason why we are so militaristic, we start those kinds of tendencies early.

Last edited by warrior on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #490314  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:55 am 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

What is the right system? And what is even his best position? It's definitely not defensive midfielder (a role that Dier is far superior at). It's not box to box midfielder as he doesn't have the pace or athleticism. Lomekian has suggested a Pirlo type role but he is simply miles away from being that good. Can he play a position like Eriksen or David Silva? Not to their level. So a sort of neat and tidy continuity player?

You seem quite sniffy about being neat and tidy or a continuity player. Comparing him to Pirlo is about as useful as comparing him to Vieira or Keane. There are very few as good as Pirlo in his role. If Xhaka isn't, that doesn't mean he can't do a good job for Arsenal. Koscielny was never as good as Adams or Campbell but was still a very fine player, even though I think he now needs replacing. Mkhitaryian isn't as good as Brady but will, I expect, be a fine signing. I'd say the same of Aubameyang even though he's not as good as Henry.

Xhaka isn't a defensive midfielder, so is it fair to criticise him when he was asked to play there? Dier couldn't play Xhaka's continuity game, so would it be fair to moan about him there? Babu mentioned a midfield of Torreira, Xhaka and Ramsey working. My guess is that this may well be Ramsey's last season due to his contract situation. But I can see Torreira, Xhaka and Guendouzi also working.

Post #490315  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am 

You had ample opportunity to 'toughen up' in the states...lol.
Dodge ball...sadistic PE teachers is a cliche. A lot of them former marines. Girls weren't immune either. Girls would often feign cramps, etc, and many a PE teacher sent them to the nurse for a note knowing they probably didn't even have their first period yet. Girls hated dodge ball because it was co-ed and nerdish, bookish girls got beaned in the head. Dodge ball was revenge time. The class bully was either doing most of the hitting or getting hit. No middle ground. I've seen teammates of class bullies get out of the way and give the other side free reign on him..haha.

What makes these things far worse these days in the era of snowflakes (per you Babu) is that the students are much, much bigger. Did you see LeBron James in HS? There is a reason he could go straight to pros and handle the physicality. 2 or 3 generations of families eating steroid enriched meat has produced some man-boys.

HS football is now big business. These kids are huge, quick as cats and strong as oxes.

Post #490316  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
You had ample opportunity to 'toughen up' in the states...lol.
Dodge ball...sadistic PE teachers is a cliche. A lot of them former marines. Girls weren't immune either. Girls would often feign cramps, etc, and many a PE teacher sent them to the nurse for a note knowing they probably didn't even have their first period yet. Girls hated dodge ball because it was co-ed and nerdish, bookish girls got beaned in the head. Dodge ball was revenge time. The class bully was either doing most of the hitting or getting hit. No middle ground. I've seen teammates of class bullies get out of the way and give the other side free reign on him..haha.

What makes these things far worse these days in the era of snowflakes (per you Babu) is that the students are much, much bigger. Did you see LeBron James in HS? There is a reason he could go straight to pros and handle the physicality. 2 or 3 generations of families eating steroid enriched meat has produced some man-boys.

HS football is now big business. These kids are huge, quick as cats and strong as oxes.

Despite all this you’re still *%^@ at football.

Post #490317  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:26 pm 

I can see how someone could make that a possibility but I don't see Gazidis doing that to the club. Maybe its in him. I don't know the man obviously but I have to think he has a certain amount of loyalty.

https://www.football-italia.net/127905/ ... msey-milan

Post #490318  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:10 pm 

All points bulletin out for Hodd. Where have you been hiding? Big changes at The Arsenal. Emery's era has begun and not a peep. Report in!

Post #490319  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Babu mentioned a midfield of Torreira, Xhaka and Ramsey working. My guess is that this may well be Ramsey's last season due to his contract situation. But I can see Torreira, Xhaka and Guendouzi also working.

Emery is using Ramsey further forward. I would like to see a midfield combo of Xhaka, Torreira, and Guendouzi. Should make us a bit more solid defensively. Guendouzi could be the new Ray Parlour.

Post #490320  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:32 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Emery is using Ramsey further forward. I would like to see a midfield combo of Xhaka, Torreira, and Guendouzi. Should make us a bit more solid defensively. Guendouzi could be the new Ray Parlour.

I'd say Guendouzi is technically a lot more gifted than Parlour.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12255, 12256, 12257, 12258, 12259, 12260, 12261 ... 14269  Next