Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 99 guests

Post #490241  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:18 pm 

Rumor mill is Usmanov is interested in buying Charlton. Assume he wants to keep any footballing interest in the capital than having to go to Liverpool.

Post #490242  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:52 pm 

Liverpool vs Tottenham match obviously an early indicator of where the challengers in the league are with respect to each other. No matter the result, its still too early to make anything of the result. After the holiday matches would be a better indicator of where things stand. Still, I'm looking forward to it and will cheer for Liverpool obviously.
I wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool win the PL and of the sides in the running I prefer them to any other club. The media will go over the top if they win it though. It will be unbearable.
As for us a tough away match, lets see what happens.

Post #490243  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm 

Daz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Why does 'enmities' look so odd?

Because it's not how most people pronounce it?

I thought it was emnity and much prefer it that way. Proud of and entrenched in my ingorance - a poster child for humanity

Post #490244  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:47 pm 

Eddie's training with the England squad..........

Post #490245  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I for one will miss Burt Reynolds. Every American man wanted to be him during that time, rakish good looks, charm, wit and massive sex appeal. 'Smokey and the Bandit' is a classic I loved watching when it was on TV.

Yep. Doesn't it. :14laughter: I'm sorry. Couldn't resist.. :1laughter:

Attachments:
_59944322_br_cosmo624.jpg
_59944322_br_cosmo624.jpg [ 5.47 KB | Viewed 3786 times ]

Post #490246  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:37 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
As you know, modern medicinal drugs comes from these herbs, etc but of course they mucked it all up by genetically altering things.

Absolute, complete and utter bollocks.

Post #490247  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I for one will miss Burt Reynolds. Every American man wanted to be him during that time, rakish good looks, charm, wit and massive sex appeal. 'Smokey and the Bandit' is a classic I loved watching when it was on TV.

Yep. Doesn't it. :14laughter: I'm sorry. Couldn't resist.. :1laughter:

Lol...have this one over my bed. :12hello-bye:

Post #490248  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:33 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
As you know, modern medicinal drugs comes from these herbs, etc but of course they mucked it all up by genetically altering things.

Absolute, complete and utter bollocks.

Too right. A *%^@*** ridiculous statement.

Post #490249  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:38 am 

So a cop goes to the wrong apartment, thinking its hers, shoots and kills the resident thinking he broke into her apartment. So, the different furniture, wall paper, etc, wasn't a clue?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/07/da ... e-say.html

Post #490250  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 am 

Babu III wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

God you are a sad case. No one forces anyone to go anywhere.

No, I won't leave it.

Really, no one forces anyone to go anywhere.

Is that your contribution? Really? Who is the sad case?
Talking of "sad cases", why are you starting your comment with "God".

A Getafe supporter going to Miami in January for free, with his Club on a charter, with other ST Holders = Great fun!
Playing Barca there, Yippee! :26encouragement: :6encouragement: For one time! A one-off, maybe.

But if this becomes the norm? What if Arsenal play their next home game against Spurs in Beijing?
No-ones forcing anyone! :8angers:

Yes they fuccking do!
Have you got a Season Ticket? Do you go to every game? Do you go away? Have you done "All the games in a Season" ?
Are supporters that go to games better than supporters who don't? Are you the same level of supporter if you live in Bhutan and like Arsenal, or if you go to every game home and away? Are you better? Who knows? Obviously not you?

Would you go to watch Arsenal if they were playing Leicester City in the Ukraine in October?
In the League. In a real game. Well, you probably wouldn't.

Oh do piss off you sad attention seeker. Haven't you sonecgrotty island in Vietnam or somewhere to visit so you can bore us all with the details? You pathetic no mark.

Post #490251  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:03 am 

Well, I hope it all works out for you Babu. The guy is not a herbalist by trade. He was giving me free advice, he has a "day job"..haha. Agree to disagree about how modern medicine is doing. Some things are great and great breakthroughs. In America though, they are pushing the government to relax the steps needed to get drugs mainstreamed. Trials, etc, to be streamlined and that's scary...at least to me.

Anyway, hang in there.

Post #490252  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 am 

Attachment:
download.jpg
download.jpg [ 10 KB | Viewed 3591 times ]

R.I.P.

Post #490253  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Babu III wrote:
No, I won't leave it.

Really, no one forces anyone to go anywhere.

Is that your contribution? Really? Who is the sad case?
Talking of "sad cases", why are you starting your comment with "God".

A Getafe supporter going to Miami in January for free, with his Club on a charter, with other ST Holders = Great fun!
Playing Barca there, Yippee! :26encouragement: :6encouragement: For one time! A one-off, maybe.

But if this becomes the norm? What if Arsenal play their next home game against Spurs in Beijing?
No-ones forcing anyone! :8angers:

Yes they fuccking do!
Have you got a Season Ticket? Do you go to every game? Do you go away? Have you done "All the games in a Season" ?
Are supporters that go to games better than supporters who don't? Are you the same level of supporter if you live in Bhutan and like Arsenal, or if you go to every game home and away? Are you better? Who knows? Obviously not you?

Would you go to watch Arsenal if they were playing Leicester City in the Ukraine in October?
In the League. In a real game. Well, you probably wouldn't.

Oh do piss off you sad attention seeker. Haven't you sonecgrotty island in Vietnam or somewhere to visit so you can bore us all with the details? You pathetic no mark.

been told off at work have you...

Post #490254  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:23 am 

Abu wrote:

I am self employed so no. No one tells me off..................................except the missus.

Post #490255  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:25 am 

Babu III wrote:
I've tried St. John's Wort for depression, but I didn't like the name.

:knob:

Post #490256  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:28 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Abu wrote:

I am self employed so no. No one tells me off..................................except the missus.

you mean no one would give you a job

Post #490257  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:48 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Liverpool vs Tottenham match obviously an early indicator of where the challengers in the league are with respect to each other. No matter the result, its still too early to make anything of the result.

So you believe that the "Liverpool vs Tottenham match" is "obviously an early indicator of where the challengers in the league are with respect to each other." But you also feel "No matter the result, it's still too early to make anything of the result."

I therefore take it that you consider the game important but the result of it unimportant. Hmmm!!!

Post #490258  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 pm 

Watching highlights of the Real Madrid vs Arsenal legends...and that term should be applied very loosely...Lehmann was in goal and he could still play it seems...lol. There was a PK shoot out, he saved one to give us the advantage, last kick, he waves off Rosicky takes it himself, wins it. Still crazy in a good way. That CL run, I'll never forget it. For that period he was the best keeper in the world in my opinion.

Upson was there, not a legend so I assume its getting tough to get ex-players who want to come out for this..lol..he still has the boyish looks and I had to wiki his age, 39. My mind is fixed on him being a young defender.

Post #490259  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:35 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rumor mill is Usmanov is interested in buying Charlton. Assume he wants to keep any footballing interest in the capital than having to go to Liverpool.

Also one of Mansour's cousins tried to buy Liverpool twice over the last year or so and may turn his attention to Everton next.

Post #490260  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 pm 

Wondering if this UEFA nations league or whatever it's called is going to become more than international friendlies.

Post #490261  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Wondering if this UEFA nations league or whatever it's called is going to become more than international friendlies.

Yes Granty, it will. Supposed to replace meaningless international friendlies. Also to be tied into Euros and eventually WC. Wicki it. A whole explanation is there. :icon_smile11:

Post #490262  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:18 am 

Felt a closer connection to the players in the Arsenal Legends team than our current lot (sadly). Enjoyed the highlights of the match.

Post #490263  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:34 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Felt a closer connection to the players in the Arsenal Legends team than our current lot (sadly). Enjoyed the highlights of the match.

Gooner7--you sound like the lone voice of reason on here amidst the general warfare and drivelling on.

Edit. Zed and Granty are also keeping it together and avoiding getting drawn into the multiple fronted conflict.

I wonder if the Boks should bother to turn out today?

And Kohli. Not a bad player, eh?

Post #490264  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:10 am 

Anyone see the US open tennis women’s final? Seen reports and clips. I do have some sympathy for Serena but only because I know what’s it’s like to lose all reason and control playing sport, but that’s it, everything else surrounding this is so toxic.

Post #490265  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 am 

Babu III wrote:

Have a song...

I love this song, I play it all the time. I've posted it on here countless times.

There is a '70s Motown singer in you dying to get out Babu. :icon_mrgreen:
This one from that era is a classic and timeless. A few posters on here could stand a listen. :1laughter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kA3UtBj4M

Post #490266  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:28 pm 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Gooner7--you sound like the lone voice of reason on here amidst the general warfare and drivelling on.

Edit. Zed and Granty are also keeping it together and avoiding getting drawn into the multiple fronted conflict.

I wonder if the Boks should bother to turn out today?

And Kohli. Not a bad player, eh?

Decaf, I have turned a new leaf :1laughter:

Guess the era of Monsieur Wenger made me use up all my arsenal (pun intended) of weaponry. Now I am left with only a single-shot pistol, for which I need to take only "as needed" pot shots.

Post #490267  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:18 pm 

Ash wrote:
Anyone see the US open tennis women’s final? Seen reports and clips. I do have some sympathy for Serena but only because I know what’s it’s like to lose all reason and control playing sport, but that’s it, everything else surrounding this is so toxic.

Just saw clips of it. Ouch. Cringe worthy. She is possibly the greatest woman athlete ever. Arguably but that was tough to watch and I had to stop at some point. Almost as bad as one of my old tirades...almost. :1laughter:

Post #490268  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:33 pm 

Babu III wrote:
Talking of arsewipes...

David Beckham's MLS team is called Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami

You soft-in-the-head arsewipe.

Ooh, south america, oooh, pink flamingoes, ay caramba, some old shite about global values and pricks and fannies.
You absolute nosher!

Every now and then I have to puke slightly when I think of America.

*%^@, there I go generalising again. Not everyone in America has the surname Massive Wanker.

But why go to Miami. Why not do a Salford like the others from the Golden Generation, but then Lim is from Singapore and has 50%, and of course Salford suits Scholes and Neville, and Miami suits Beckham, and if that's what the people want?
But is that what the people want?

According to Spanish media, Girona's home game with Barcelona on 27 January will be played in Miami.[/url]

Catalan newspaper Sport said there would be 1,500 free flights available for Girona season ticket holders and overnight accommodation, although a refundable deposit would be required.

It said those who did not want to travel would be given a ticket to the away game against Barcelona at the Nou Camp on 23 September, while fans who cannot do either would get a discount on their season ticket.
Would you be happy, as a Season Ticket Holder, to get free flight and accommodation for one Home/Away game per Season?

On first seeing it I was fuming, but my new medication must be working, as then I imagined looking at it as a week-end break.
You could get up on the Saturday morning, eat breakfast at home, fly to Miami or somewhere equally exotic with the plane full of Season Ticket Holders, check-in at the Hotel, and then make your way leisurely to the game on Saturday evening, before enjoying a night down-town/up-town/whatever takes your fancy, before back to the Hotel to destroy the bed, then an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet with freshly squeezed Florida oranges, and just for the hell of it, I would take a do-nut and dunk it into my mug of steaming coffee, before being picked up to fly back to Europe in time for evening meal at home Sunday night, and up fresh and bright on the Monday morning.
Brilliant idea, and spreads the message of the Beautiful Game far and wide. Yeah!

Reality!
From 5 to 10 hours time difference depending on where in USA and Europe, so getting there would be easy enough leaving on a Saturday morning and getting to the game for Saturday night, but you can't get back on Sunday morning unless you leave really early...8am Sunday...and then you'd get to London in the late evening Sunday night, totally jet-lagged, with the hope that you can sleep for 8 hours now and then go to work Monday morning.

Most flights from USA to Europe go in the afternoon and arrive in Europe the next morning.
This Getafe game is Sunday afternoon, so I'm guessing the return flight will be a 9PM --> 10AM or a 10PM --> 11AM flight, so the Monday is gone.
So when would the outward flight be?
Well, Saturday morning, so that you can enjoy the afternoon and evening in Miami/wherever, of course.
So you would get a flight Saturday morning, check in PM Saturday, and then have a night and the next morning in the Hotel, check-out at 12, take all your stuff to the Stadium, then from Stadium to Airport? No, that sounds like it would be grim as well. You have to have your stuff in the Hotel while the game is on, so you're checked-in to the Hotel during game time, Sunday afternoon.
Means you sleep in the Hotel Sunday night, and fly back Monday morning, on the cheap flight back, that gets you back Home Monday night, totally furked up. But that means that you have to fly Sunday morning, and not Saturday morning.

So the trip now looks like this...

Get up Sunday morning early, make your way independently to the Airport for a flight to Somewhereshite which leaves at 7 AM.
Charter plane with 250 grumpy season ticket holders and no free alcohol on the flight. Arrival at Somewhereshite "Intérnàtiönal" Airport, and a very quick transfer to a fleet of buses to be transported 500 metres to Somewhereshite Intérnàtiönal Hotel. Herded in, given a room, told to leave your bags in the room and be ready for transport in an hour. Nothing to be taken to the game. A great chance for the Hotel to rifle through your stuff. An hour later, after not having been able to have a shower because of no hot water/water/shower you are herded onto the same buses to Somewhereshite Stadium, where you're trotted out for display to thousands of gawking locals, who will in the best case probably throw you some food, in the worst cases will throw stones, bottles, flares, etc, then you get put in the "real fans" part of the Stadium, where you have to eat the local foreign fast-food specialities and drink alcohol-free beer ( not sure, maybe alcohol, maybe ), before being transported back after the game with the buses to the Hotel, evening meal consists of a buffet of all-you-can-eat local specialities that they found somewhere Saturday night and have warmed up for you, before having to go to bed, because your flight leaves at 7 AM Monday morning, and the buses are coming at 5 to pick you up.

You *%^@*** morons!

What is happening to modern football?

Well for starters it seems unfair to imply that Beckham's team's name is faux-South American. Spanish is hardly restricted to South America. The Mexicans and Cubans (inter alia) would purse their lips at that, not to mention the 60% of Miami residents who are Spanish first language.

Secondly, I'm not sure I agree with you that your meds are working.

Finally, I don't quite see your beef with the business of football teams playing two games overseas. Tourists willingly endure those horrors anyway (and the locals more or less willingly bear it because of the income) so why not throw a football match into the mix and save on the airfair?

Post #490269  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:44 pm 

Ash wrote:
A disgraceful way for a champion sportswoman to behave. A momentary lapse of control is understandable but that was unacceptably arrogant towards the umpire and disrespectful to her opponent. There is no excuse, though lots are being made. I feel sorry for the young winner Naomi Osaka whose big moment was spoiled. That 17,000 dollar fine should sort it though...

Post #490270  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:
A disgraceful way for a champion sportswoman to behave. A momentary lapse of control is understandable but that was unacceptably arrogant towards the umpire and disrespectful to her opponent. There is no excuse, though lots are being made. I feel sorry for the young winner Naomi Osaka whose big moment was spoiled. That 17,000 dollar fine should sort it though...

I agree with you about detracting from Osaka's moment.

However, I can see the point of those who argued that the umpire over-reacted and escalated the situation. People are quite rightly asking why the same umpire has in the past been far more lenient when men have had similar if not worse outbursts. Serena's sensitivities about racism and sexism are well known and in my view justified.

But hey, I got my info from the'failing, gutless, NY Times' . Probably fake news. Perhaps I should wait to hear President Trump's wisdom on the matter--if he isn't too busy with Nike and various scandals. :42laughter:

Post #490271  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:11 pm 

Greetings Kiwi. Indeed.

Did you watch any of the rugby this weekend? The plot line is becoming rather monotonous. Rampant All Black, and haplesd boks and Aussis. The boks actually remind me of arsenal somehow. One senses that a massive dose of laxatives is just about the only thing that might work.

I can see Argentina beating australia in Argentina, and the log ending up with NZ with a 100% record and the rest all tied for last ...

Post #490272  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

However, I can see the point of those who argued that the umpire over-reacted and escalated the situation. People are quite rightly asking why the same umpire has in the past been far more lenient when men have had similar if not worse outbursts. Serena's sensitivities about racism and sexism are well known and in my view justified.

But hey, I got my info from the'failing, gutless, NY Times' . Probably fake news. Perhaps I should wait to hear President Trump's wisdom on the matter--if he isn't too busy with Nike and various scandals. :42laughter:

I think the only reason we aren’t seeing race brought into this is the heritage of her opponent and that’s a considerable blessing in my view. Also this particular umpire pinged Nadal in the Ozzie open on how long he takes between points which happens all too rarely, so the men and women thing I think is total nonsense, more like the rules applied inconsistently by different individuals which until you replace people with machines, like Hawkeye and maybe having shotclocks and what have you, you’re going to get that.

Didn’t realise she’d had a 17,000 dollar fine, hopefully that will sort it out.

Post #490273  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:36 pm 

*%^@ me she won $1.85m as runner up! I don’t think that fine is going to have quite the stinging impact I might be hoping for! :1laughter:

Post #490274  Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:56 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Sorry to say on this occasion Serena comes across as a very privileged and powerful individual who couldn't accept the umpire's decision when she was losing a tennis match. She compounds matters by then creating the smokescreen of sexism to cover her dreadful on-court behaviour. It is what it is - poor sportswomanship. La Bueno was fiery but she would never have let her standards drop so low.
Attachment:

Post #490275  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:10 am 

Babu III: I found your reflections on different drugs/meds and how they affected you really interesting.

Post #490276  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 am 

Wow, have you ever seen anything like this?? Mental...

Moto2: Romano Fenati's contract terminated after brake lever incident
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45473316

I’m annoyed at you so I’m just going to casually endanger your life, what?? I’m fired??

Post #490277  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:08 pm 

Serena was very gracious to Osaka. I saw a clip where she told the crowd not to boo and to give Osaka the honor she deserves. Credit to the winner. She played her idol and won and it was her greatest moment in her young life.

I cringed at Serena's outburst but it was more that it was so out of character for her. A female buddy of mine reminded me that McEnroe made a history of outburts far, far worse and was praised as a champion. Also, "Nasty" Nastase didn't get his name because he didn't wipe after himself.

Post #490278  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:17 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Serena was very gracious to Osaka. I saw a clip where she told the crowd not to boo and to give Osaka the honor she deserves. Credit to the winner. She played her idol and won and it was her greatest moment in her young life.

I cringed at Serena's outburst but it was more that it was so out of character for her. A female buddy of mine reminded me that McEnroe made a history of outburts far, far worse and was praised as a champion. Also, "Nasty" Nastase didn't get his name because he didn't wipe after himself.

If you followed tennis you'd know Williams' behaviour was not out of character. She has form in this regard. I also have heard Murray and Nadal have complained about this umpire who is a stickler. Good on him if true.

Post #490279  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm 

Anyway, I assume we haven't had any of our players injured over the weekend have we?

Post #490280  Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:27 pm 

Had he stayed healthy, I think Aliadiere would have had a decent Arsenal career. Maybe not legend status but a solid striker. Had he stayed healthy. Anyway, happy to read he thought enough of the club to recommend Guendouzi come to us.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/jere ... n-arsenal/

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12254, 12255, 12256, 12257, 12258, 12259, 12260 ... 14269  Next