Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 151 guests

Post #490161  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:

I think the promise is there. Give it time.

At least we’re more direct.

I'm afraid I don't see much promise. We are simply terrible at the back and it's more system-driven than personnel. 8 goals conceded in 4 games.

I’m an eternal optimist dec!

Post #490162  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:43 pm 

I have changed up some of the 'smilies' that are listed when you make a posting now to make them a bit different.

As some of the older members will know, I modify the smilies every time we get a new manager.

Post #490163  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
We’ve had to win this game 3 times.

Good practice? Perhaps there is method in the madness? :laughing7:

Post #490164  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:45 pm 

warrior wrote:
I have changed up some of the 'smilies' that are listed when you make a posting now to make them a bit different.

As some of the older members will know, I modify the smilies every time we get a new manager.

:58big-emoticons:

I can see you have given it a lot of thought. Having this one first is very convenient. :36angers:

Post #490165  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 pm 

Decaf wrote:
warrior wrote:

:58big-emoticons:

I can see you have given it a lot of thought. Having this one first is very convenient. :36angers:

All jokes aside, I did add a few of the more 'frustrated' ones on a hunch.

Post #490166  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:05 pm 

Čech :8angers:

Post #490167  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:08 pm 

Xhaka :8angers: :36angers:

Post #490168  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:16 pm 

Glad for the win but my god we are shocking at defending.

Emery still hasn’t worked out what to do with his midfield yet

Post #490169  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:17 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

I love it.

Post #490170  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:18 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I love it.

Now I'm worried the new smilies will get burned out !

Post #490171  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Glad for the win but my god we are shocking at defending.

Emery still hasn’t worked out what to do with his midfield yet

Which is odd really. Supposedly he turned up for interview with a full set of details on all the players and just what he intended to do.

Post #490172  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:20 pm 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
I love it.

Now I'm worried the new smilies will get burned out !

Nah. The unbeaten 25 match run that we’Ve just started will render them redundant :2laughter:

Post #490173  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:20 pm 

I see a genuine personal chemistry between Aubie and Lacazette. They want to see each other do well and both were happy for the other's goal. We may be seeing a good partnership happening.

Our defense remains a problem. Cardiff had trouble scoring...until us. They could have walked away with a draw. Kos will be back before the end of the calendar year. His return will go a long way in solidifying the defense.

Both wins will help Emery in having the players yrust his judgment, tactics and methods. What I hope to see this season is a recognizable and effective system. Not expecting a title. Maybe a cup...any cup. But I want to see Arsenal being tough to play and tougher to beat.

Post #490174  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:02 pm 

:42laughter: :42laughter: - :8angers:

Fantastic news from Watford......................

:22encouragement:

Post #490175  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:22 pm 

Pretty hair raising stuff but still enjoyable for some of the good things.

Attack while disjointed at times looks much quicker. Flip side is misdirected passes.

Corners actually appear to have a threat to them.

We cannot keep leaving the flanks wide open.

Xhaka despite the odd bit of good distirbution was generally poor and I can't understand why Torreira doesn't start.

Özil tried to get involved but has clearly lost his mojo.

Aggression from some players immediately after losing the ball was good. Unfortunately it's only some of them.

Playing out from the back. Ffs.

Post #490176  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:48 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Xhaka despite the odd bit of good distirbution was generally poor and I can't understand why Torreira doesn't start.

Xhaka and Čech seems to get the most criticism after this game, but I have to defend them both. Apart from a very bad pass that ultimately lead to their first goal Xhaka had a strong performance for me. Assured in possession, kept the ball moving, broke up counter attacks on a couple of occasions and created opportunities for us going forward. That bad pass is an element of his game he needs to get rid of but I don't think we can judge his entire 90 minute performance on one mistake.

As for Čech, he's clearly just doing what the coach wants. It's up to Emery to fix this situation, surely we can strive to play out from the back more without putting ourselves in bad positions time and time again.

Post #490177  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 pm 

Thought there were some positive signs for us today. We were able to keep possession more, and looked more direct when attacking. Aubameyang and Özil drifted too much in and out of the game for my liking, but Lacazette, Ramsey, Monreal and Bellerin all looked lively going forward.

Defensively, the less said the better. We're way too easy to create chances on still. At this point we need to score 2-3 goals to win and that's obviously going to cost us over the course of a season.

Post #490178  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Xhaka and Čech seems to get the most criticism after this game, but I have to defend them both. Apart from a very bad pass that ultimately lead to their first goal Xhaka had a strong performance for me. Assured in possession, kept the ball moving, broke up counter attacks on a couple of occasions and created opportunities for us going forward. That bad pass is an element of his game he needs to get rid of but I don't think we can judge his entire 90 minute performance on one mistake.

As for Čech, he's clearly just doing what the coach wants. It's up to Emery to fix this situation, surely we can strive to play out from the back more without putting ourselves in bad positions time and time again.

The problem with Xhaka is that there are elements of his game that are very good and elements of his game that are very bad and the positives do not outweigh the negatives by a significant enough margin to make him the player we need in the middle.

His passing is generally pretty good, long and short, bar the occasional stray one like today, but to me it's his general lack of mobility and athleticism that are the key issues. In virtually every game he seems to have to make rash tackles or commit silly fouls because of his inability to get back quickly enough after being caught out of position or behind the play. He's not blessed with enough defensive nous to compensate for these shortcomings either which does not help.

They say the only certain things in life are death and taxes, well I'd add Xhaka picking up a yellow card to that. :laughing7:

Post #490179  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

I think that’s the thing. Preferred philosophy always has to meet with reality and the reality is the players we have can’t play this way at the moment. Either we change how we play out from the back or change all the centre backs and goalkeeper.

This isn't about the centre backs. Mustafi and Sokratis are both decent passers of the ball. It's about Čech or more to the point it's about Emery. There are 10 outfield players in a team. You don't need to play triangles with your keeper.

They are decent passers but what for what they’re being asked to do they need to be better on the ball. Keeping away from pressing players and manoeuvring with your first touch is as important as the quick pass. So either change the CB’s and goal keeper or, yes, change the system seems right to me.

I thought Ramsey was good today further to my criticism of him last week.

Post #490180  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:39 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Thought there were some positive signs for us today. We were able to keep possession more, and looked more direct when attacking. Aubameyang and Özil drifted too much in and out of the game for my liking, but Lacazette, Ramsey, Monreal and Bellerin all looked lively going forward.

Defensively, the less said the better. We're way too easy to create chances on still. At this point we need to score 2-3 goals to win and that's obviously going to cost us over the course of a season.

I like the basic concept of playing out from the back but the teams that have mastered it, and not many have, have been blessed with far better players than we have.

Barca under Pep were brilliant at playing out from the back but they had central defenders who were great on the ball and one of the best midfield combinations of all time. City took a season to really get to grips with it and they have better players than us.

I'd love to see us get it right, and maybe over a few transfer windows we will bring in the necessary personnel to really begin to come to terms with it. The question is, what can we achieve whilst undertaking this steep learning curve and will Emery be given enough time to fully implement his methods if we are unable to challenge for a CL spot during this period.

Post #490181  Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:29 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

I thought every single defender today, without exception, had a good game. Both full backs and both central defenders did well in my view. I also have to agree with Hazuki over Xhaka. It was a sloppy pass that led to Cardiff's equaliser just before half time. But otherwise he played well.

Post #490182  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:21 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Fantastic news from Watford......................

:26encouragement:
:53big-emoticons:
:emoticon_mClapp:
:toothy9:

Post #490183  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:14 am 

Positives:
1) Both Aubameyang and Lacazette scoring. We should be able to get at least 35 league goals between them.
2) We looked dangerous from corners. Mustafi had a couple of decent chances. In tight games, ability to score from set-pieces would be a big advantage.
3) 2 wins in 2 games should inject some much-needed confidence. Let's hope the winning momentum continues.

Post #490184  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:29 am 

Babu III wrote:
*%^@*** hell, that went on a bit, sorry.
New meds. They must be working. :laughing7:

As for my new therapy, where I try and understand and appreciate things I previously hated, I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Not long enough but this is coming from a person who has been accused of being verbose. You seem to be searching for the football of your younger days and those days are gone...at least in the top division. Too much money.
You'll have to support non conference football maybe...haha.

You are in football purgatory, Babu.

Post #490185  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:35 am 

Imo Emery has missed a chance to impress me even more.

Other teams have seen how he wants us to play and press the goalie and defence from the start. Wtf aren't we putting a long ball up to our strikers when a quick break will find a lot of them in half?

It looks like Czec is under orders not to kick long though he did once I think and it eased the pressure on him.

Can't anybody else see this?

Post #490186  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:44 am 

socrates wrote:
The problem with Xhaka is that there are elements of his game that are very good and elements of his game that are very bad and the positives do not outweigh the negatives by a significant enough margin to make him the player we need in the middle.

I actually thought this was a game where his positive contributions significantly outweighed the negatives. His distribution is generally really good, he can dictate the tempo by mixing short passing with more incisive forward passing. When he gets a bit further up the pitch he’s really good at breaking up play and stopping counter attacks. I still believe it’s just about finding the right role for him, and to me that role is beside a player like Torreira who sits back and acts as the link between defense and midfield.

Post #490187  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I thought every single defender today, without exception, had a good game. Both full backs and both central defenders did well in my view. I also have to agree with Hazuki over Xhaka. It was a sloppy pass that led to Cardiff's equaliser just before half time. But otherwise he played well.

How can you say that Bernard, our defending was shambolic and despite having about 75% possession Cardiff still had enough chances to have won the game on another occasion.

I'm not saying its all down to the defence, they have too little protection in front of them at times, but I would hardly say they all played well yesterday.

As Haz pointed out, you cannot expect to score 3 goals every game especially away from home. Even the mediocre sides are finding it way to easy to create good chances against us.

Post #490188  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

I actually thought this was a game where his positive contributions significantly outweighed the negatives. His distribution is generally really good, he can dictate the tempo by mixing short passing with more incisive forward passing. When he gets a bit further up the pitch he’s really good at breaking up play and stopping counter attacks. I still believe it’s just about finding the right role for him, and to me that role is beside a player like Torreira who sits back and acts as the link between defense and midfield.

Perhaps, although I still believe his lack of pace and athleticism is just too big a flaw in his game. He reminds me a bit of one of those ex-pros in a testamonial game. Technically they still have all the skills but their legs have gone.

Post #490189  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:47 am 

socrates wrote:
How can you say that Bernard, our defending was shambolic and despite having about 75% possession Cardiff still had enough chances to have won the game on another occasion.

I'm not saying its all down to the defence, they have too little protection in front of them at times, but I would hardly say they all played well yesterday.

As Haz pointed out, you cannot expect to score 3 goals every game especially away from home. Even the mediocre sides are finding it way to easy to create good chances against us.

Easily, because they all had decent enough games. Bellerin had his best game of the season so far, Monreal was his normal high standard, Sokratis was fine, and Mustafi had a good day, or one of his better days. None of them had perfect games, but they all did well. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about the defenders (and Xhaka) and want to make the same points about them however they've just played.

Post #490190  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:56 am 

Hazuki wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Wasn't too fussed about Čech. He's being asked to play that way and doesn't have the skills to do it. I'm still a bit mystified by this play out from the back business. Even under Wenger we'd spent most of the time passing it around and playing out from the back and didn't seem to get into so many pickles.

I really didn't see Xhaka performing that well. Stray pass aside, he'd often be rifling it into the attack and due to the pace of the pass, the receivers had a lot of trouble controlling it which then put them under immediate pressure. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh and need to see after a few more games.. I think your suggestion of putting Torreira in there with him, rather than instead of him could work well.

Post #490191  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Easily, because they all had decent enough games. Bellerin had his best game of the season so far, Monreal was his normal high standard, Sokratis was fine, and Mustafi had a good day, or one of his better days. None of them had perfect games, but they all did well. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about the defenders (and Xhaka) and want to make the same points about them however they've just played.

Taken from Arseblog:

"Once again though, the worry is how easy we are to create chances against. Arsenal had 15 attempts on goal with 72% possession, Cardiff had 14 attempts on goal with 28% possession".

Now, I reiterate that the defence was not well protected and defending is a collective thing, but if that was our defenders playing well I would hate to see then on an off day.

Post #490192  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:07 am 

I thought Xhaka stank the place out at times, but also was influential at others. As a link man he's good without being top class, but I don't want him as my only defensive midfielder under any circumstances. No coincidence that in every game he's looked better once Torreira came on, and the team has looked better balanced.

Xhaka isn't a bad player. He is however a bad lone holding midfielder. Essentially he's a more robust budget Pirlo, and Pirlo never worked unless he had legs and defensive accumin alongside him.

Post #490193  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am 

Re our defenders, none were individually that bad, but they are still messy as a collective and need a better defensive shield than Xhaka because none of them are top of quality. Bellerin might be with better coaching and Monreal is solid and consistent, but none of them would be first choice for a really top side.

Post #490194  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:28 am 

Babu III wrote:
Hope all's well with you, and COYI!

He’s regularly posting on a forum where he’s blocked 95% of the posters, of course all is not well with him.

Post #490195  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:08 am 

Switched back to pro evolution soccer this year. Been 10 years!!! A good decision though it is top class.

Post #490196  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 am 

Niall wrote:
Switched back to pro evolution soccer this year. Been 10 years!!! A good decision though it is top class.
Take your word on that. Are Billy McCullough and Ian Ure on it?

Post #490197  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:10 pm 

Babu III wrote:

Hope all's well with you, and COYI!

They must be pulling their hair out at Chelsea and Southampton to have lost a fan of your dedication...

Post #490198  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:13 pm 

Although am puzzled because I thought you had a historic antipathy to everybody's favourite second team? Or is that all part of coming to terms with ancient enmities????

Post #490199  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:30 pm 

Was critical of Lacazette after Chelsea but fair play he was excellent yesterday.

If we are going to persevere with playing out from the back Leno has to come in. Čech clearly can't play that way. And Torreira starting is a no brainer.

Post #490200  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:47 pm 

I can't imagine growing up in the hooligan days or even now under the circumstances you describe. I am less fearful of some of murkier Philly neighborhoods than I would be going to hostile away grounds. Maybe because I'm more familiar with the "known' elements of the city than going to away grounds with hostile supporters and complacent cops.

I fear you will never be really happy Babu. But I think once Emery turns things around and we're back in the top 4 and challenging (whenever that happens), you'll come back to the fold and we'll let bygones be bygones with wayward Gooners such as yourself. :icon_mrgreen:

As for me, things are great. I flirted with semi retirement this year. Bored sh&tless. I traveled through SE Asia, Philippines, Malyasia, Thailand, etc, and didn't know what to do with myself. The only thing that kept me motivated was my trading but then Trump opened his mouth once too often and even made that tough. I'm much too energetic for the leisurely life.

So for now I'm working with an old boss of mine on a project for a few months just stave off the boredom and watching The Arsenal week in, week out. Posting my musings on here for no other reason just to 'vent' what I've been thinking, to no one really, just to get it out. I've mellowed with age. :icon_mrgreen: I've been a good boy on here, 'scouts honour'. :icon_mrgreen: Reading the various thoughts about the club, etc. Some I agree with, some I don't but that's what this forum is for anyway.

I'm going to take a trek throughout eastern Europe at some point. Southeastern (Hungary, Slovenia, etc. ) I've heard good things.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12252, 12253, 12254, 12255, 12256, 12257, 12258 ... 14269  Next