Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 91 guests

Post #489641  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
A few elections going on in the states. I'm not optimistic. The country is in a moral morass. The so called mainstream media goes in on Trump but fails to blame the reason why Trump is there and why its not only possible but probable he will get re-elected. The hard truths is that Trump has unearthed long held, dark feelings of at least 40 percent or more of the country (a conservative number). To admit it is to admit that our so called 'exceptionalism' was a good self indulgent slogan. The hard, rarely discussed truths is that this 'land of immigrants' have never liked the newer ones. And we have always had a racial issue that has never been resolved. Those two things are fueling his popularity and a sharp rise in face to face incidents against the 'others'. Those same people came from stock that faced the same attacks. It seems that once you are 3, 4 or more generations removed from such things, it causes a cognitive dissonance in a large number of us.

I contend that for the first time since WW2 the American president is no longer the most powerful world leader. I would contend that designation goes to Xi of China. I had a discussion with other Americans about it and I've argued, how can you be the most powerful when you have alienated close friends and allies and embraced others who are regarded as rivals if not enemies.

Scholars and historians have studied empires. America is showing the same signs of being in the last throes of decline (debased currency, wars it can no longer win, unqualified, corrupted leaders, etc.).

:1laughter: who the f ***** cares you dopey arsed *%^@ ..... Warrior , Old Man , one of the Singaporeans G7 or Goonie and that slippery son of mine Granty Boy are the only ones who aren't on your Ignore List

... if only you Philly Boys had real nuts I'd love to tell you where America is going wrong .... a day after 9/11

.... and that's aimed at that dumb arsed braindead Gary Glitter shoed, simpering cross dressing Spanish speaking fairy from Burnley

Post #489642  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Let me tell you why I have real doubts about Leno. James from Arseblog said in the latest podcast that he had a whisper from within the club that Leno was not impressive in training (some comments like that) and that is why Čech was selected ahead of him. Remember that Leno can play the role Emery wants him for of distribution from the back and passing etc. and should have been first choice. Leno was not even in the top 3 keepers for Germany and how far down the list he is no one knows.

But that is not all, last year he made a number of bad errors for his club and apparently he used to do this particularly when he was younger and yet it persists. Personally, I remember him from a confederations cup match for Germany against Australia 2017 when he was appalling and gifted us 2 goals. The types of goal that if Almunia had conceded he would be slaughtered on this forum. I have little confidence in him and why we paid that amount of money for him is a mystery to me. We seemed to pay a lot for a player who needed to improve and was not ready to go and despite getting him in quickly he apparently is not showing decent form. This was a gamble in a position where Ospina is soon off contract, Čech was not impressive last year and looks clumsy with the ball at his feet as is currently our plan. We needed a quality buy in an essential position.

Gaz, it will take a bit more than someone from Arseblog trying to spread rumours that may have no validity whatsoever to convince me he's no good. You say we paid a lot for him, but with the transfer market as it now is, did we? After all, this summer Liverpool paid £67m for a keeper and Chelsea paid £71m.

I've no idea how good or bad he really is because I've not seen enough of him. But from what I have seen of him in pre-season friendlies, I don't recall anything that concerned me. You also mention his standing in Germany. Didn't lomekian say he was the Bundesliga keeper of the season one year? Moreover, that's a league that Neuer plays in.

Well time will tell but I have my doubts. Mind you I thought Čech looked a little slow on the weekend so will be interesting to see who Emery sees as the best at the moment. Maybe 70mil is what u need to pay for a quality keeper.

Post #489643  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 am 

AMN has a crack in his fibular - 6-8 weeks out

Post #489644  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Of the two, Mustafi is the most error prone of the two. He's got to go, Hoy. I'll fly to England and drive him to the airport personally.
Yes he has errors in him, as have virtually all the centre-backs to have worn and Arsenal shirt since the heyday of the giants. Sol was the exception and Kolo at his peak was reliable. Great centre backs are hard to find, and when you find them you have to be ready to pay big money. Which Arsenal rarely do. Perhaps Ian Ure way back in the early 60s was the last very big spend on a central defender? Most of our best centre backs since then have either been moderately priced or come through the ranks. The big tragedy was the death in 2001 at just seventeen of Niccolo Galli, our superb youth team defender. Nothing was certain but he seemed destined for a top career.

Post #489645  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
.... and that's aimed at that dumb arsed braindead Gary Glitter shoed, simpering cross dressing Spanish speaking fairy from Burnley
There are alot of people in Burnley who fit that description, though not Sean Dych. Anyway get this beautiful song inside you.

Post #489646  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
A few elections going on in the states. I'm not optimistic. The country is in a moral morass. The so called mainstream media goes in on Trump but fails to blame the reason why Trump is there and why its not only possible but probable he will get re-elected. The hard truths is that Trump has unearthed long held, dark feelings of at least 40 percent or more of the country (a conservative number). To admit it is to admit that our so called 'exceptionalism' was a good self indulgent slogan. The hard, rarely discussed truths is that this 'land of immigrants' have never liked the newer ones. And we have always had a racial issue that has never been resolved. Those two things are fueling his popularity and a sharp rise in face to face incidents against the 'others'. Those same people came from stock that faced the same attacks. It seems that once you are 3, 4 or more generations removed from such things, it causes a cognitive dissonance in a large number of us.

I contend that for the first time since WW2 the American president is no longer the most powerful world leader. I would contend that designation goes to Xi of China. I had a discussion with other Americans about it and I've argued, how can you be the most powerful when you have alienated close friends and allies and embraced others who are regarded as rivals if not enemies.

Scholars and historians have studied empires. America is showing the same signs of being in the last throes of decline (debased currency, wars it can no longer win, unqualified, corrupted leaders, etc.).

:1laughter: who the f ***** cares you dopey arsed *%^@ ..... Warrior , Old Man , one of the Singaporeans G7 or Goonie and that slippery son of mine Granty Boy are the only ones who aren't on your Ignore List

... if only you Philly Boys had real nuts I'd love to tell you where America is going wrong .... a day after 9/11

To be fair, AG makes a few good points. I think he wrong about Chump's chances. AG has always had a tendency to extrapolate and is severely limited in his prophetic powers. But it is a scary possibility. There may just be enough Americans who are sufficiently dissaffected/thick/bigotted/inert for that to come to pass

Post #489647  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
There are alot of people in Burnley who fit that description, though not Sean Dych. Anyway get this beautiful song inside you.

Haven’t heard that song for ages. Brilliant musicianship being displayed there. Thanks for the reminder.

Post #489648  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Gaz, it will take a bit more than someone from Arseblog trying to spread rumours that may have no validity whatsoever to convince me he's no good. You say we paid a lot for him, but with the transfer market as it now is, did we? After all, this summer Liverpool paid £67m for a keeper and Chelsea paid £71m.

I've no idea how good or bad he really is because I've not seen enough of him. But from what I have seen of him in pre-season friendlies, I don't recall anything that concerned me. You also mention his standing in Germany. Didn't lomekian say he was the Bundesliga keeper of the season one year? Moreover, that's a league that Neuer plays in.

Well time will tell but I have my doubts. Mind you I thought Čech looked a little slow on the weekend so will be interesting to see who Emery sees as the best at the moment. Maybe 70mil is what u need to pay for a quality keeper.

Interesting that Emery said today Čech starts at Chelsea which has you questioning why we signed Leno. I’m assuming Leno and Sokratis have both been lined up by us for quite some time and pre Emerys arrival

Post #489649  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:53 pm 

RIP Aretha Franklin. The Queen of Soul.

Post #489650  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm 

Zed wrote:
An unforgettable voice of my youth.

Post #489651  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Zed wrote:
https://youtu.be/CgzH5Rg-jJY

An unforgettable voice for any era. An absolute wonder.

Post #489652  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Interesting that Emery said today Čech starts at Chelsea which has you questioning why we signed Leno. I’m assuming Leno and Sokratis have both been lined up by us for quite some time and pre Emerys arrival

I've no idea what's going on. Spend £20m+ on a reserve keeper. That's just nuts.

Post #489653  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Totally agree with this. Much as I was less critical of Wenger than others, there is no doubt that his last few transfer windows were, on the whole, his least successful period transfer-wise, and left us with a squad of good footballers, but one lacking in balance and with little cohesive team building taking place.

That was for me the final nail with Wenger. Tactically he'd always been a bit suspect at times, but he had always found enough players to renew the squad that you felt we were never too far away, and often with little spending. Towards the end the spending (even proportionally) increased, but the players got worse. When someone with flaws loses their greatest strengths, its time to move on.

Another example here Lom

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... reed-next/

In 2015 Wenger gave Carl Jenkinson a 5 year contract worth 45 grand a week. This is probably more than double of what he would have got at another club for a player who at no time in his career has looked capable enough of playing in the premiership. As a consequence we can’t sell Jenkinson and get him off the wage bill as Fat sam pointed out the player refuses to take a pay cut to get first team football and prefers to see his contract out. Even if we try giving him a free many clubs would be reluctant. This is another Wenger legacy decision Emery will probably have to pay off or wait till 2020 to rid himself of.

Really hope our fans are patient with Emery he will be having to manage the problems of the previous regime for some time. It’s a Teresa May Brexit scenario.

Can't play it both ways though. Everytime a player comes good and their contract runs down the manager gets castigated despite not being able to force anyone to sign. But everytime a player signs a long contract and doesn't pan out, the manager takes pelters, even when, as is the case with Jenkinson, some early promise (and an England cap) collapses after a succession of serious injuries. Not saying that I would have given Jenkinson that long a contract in 2015, but there has to be a balanced view, particularly with homegrown players whose value tends to stay stable unless like, in this case, and with Gibbs and Wilshere, their value plummets due to major injuries de-railing their career. There was a time when Jenkinson looked like a likely very decent back-up right back, and we were a better team then than we are now

Post #489654  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:44 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Another example here Lom

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... reed-next/

In 2015 Wenger gave Carl Jenkinson a 5 year contract worth 45 grand a week. This is probably more than double of what he would have got at another club for a player who at no time in his career has looked capable enough of playing in the premiership. As a consequence we can’t sell Jenkinson and get him off the wage bill as Fat sam pointed out the player refuses to take a pay cut to get first team football and prefers to see his contract out. Even if we try giving him a free many clubs would be reluctant. This is another Wenger legacy decision Emery will probably have to pay off or wait till 2020 to rid himself of.

Really hope our fans are patient with Emery he will be having to manage the problems of the previous regime for some time. It’s a Teresa May Brexit scenario.

Can't play it both ways though. Everytime a player comes good and their contract runs down the manager gets castigated despite not being able to force anyone to sign. But everytime a player signs a long contract and doesn't pan out, the manager takes pelters, even when, as is the case with Jenkinson, some early promise (and an England cap) collapses after a succession of serious injuries. Not saying that I would have given Jenkinson that long a contract in 2015, but there has to be a balanced view, particularly with homegrown players whose value tends to stay stable unless like, in this case, and with Gibbs and Wilshere, their value plummets due to major injuries de-railing their career. There was a time when Jenkinson looked like a likely very decent back-up right back, and we were a better team then than we are now

sorry Lom. Don't agree.

Not at any point has Jenkinson looked capable enough of holding down a regular place at a premiership side. The contract offer is ludicrous

Post #489655  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:58 pm 

I agree with lomekian about Jenkinson. He once looked very promising.

Post #489656  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

sorry Lom. Don't agree.

Not at any point has Jenkinson looked capable enough of holding down a regular place at a premiership side. The contract offer is ludicrous

Thats why I said he'd be a decent back-up. Despite his being injured for at least 1/3 of 4 of the last 5 seasons, he's got 90 EPL starts under his belt and an England cap (as well as 2 years being first choice for u21s).

You're the king of post event wisdom.

Its like all the people who complained about Bentdner's contract, when, at the time he signed it, he was in terms of output and potential one of the top 10 u21 strikers in Europe. Sadly he very quickly became a mentalist and then had that car crash and the subsequent injuries and has never since been as good as a player as he was at 19. A manager just can't predict these things.

Post #489657  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

sorry Lom. Don't agree.

Thats why I said he'd be a decent back-up. Despite his being injured for at least 1/3 of 4 of the last 5 seasons, he's got 90 EPL starts under his belt and an England cap (as well as 2 years being first choice for u21s).

nonsense. I was telling you and others 10 years ago Wenger was a busted flush and we would end up getting rid of him but nobody believed me

Post #489658  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:03 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I've no idea what's going on. Spend £20m+ on a reserve keeper. That's just nuts.

If Leno stays as No.2 for most of the season then that really is nuts but I'd like to see him given a run in the team before we all write him off.

I've not seen Leno play even in Germany, but if we wanted a GK from these shores I'd have gone for Schmiechel from Leicester. He'd have been £30m+ though

Post #489659  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

nonsense. I was telling you and others 10 years ago Wenger was a busted flush and we would end up getting rid of him but nobody believed me

1) That's an entirely separate point.
2) I think everyone thought we'd end up getting rid of him at some stage once he'd turned out the big jobs in the early 2000s
3) You called Wenger a busted flush before he was a busted flush. 10 years ago he nearly won the league with a fairly cheap squad that fell late on in the season because all the best players got injured. 10 years ago you were wrong. If you said 5 years, you'd have plausibility. 10 years ago we were punching so high above our financial weight.
Your argument is akin to saying that any negative prediction has no time sensitivity. Its like saying the bloke saying the end of the world is nigh will be vindicated when we finally crash into the sun in millions of years.

Post #489660  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 pm 

dec wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
https://youtu.be/CgzH5Rg-jJY

As it happens, Elvis died 41 years ago today. Kind of fitting that they would share this day. Doesn't matter what generation you're from, there's just no denying that level of greatness.

Post #489661  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 pm 

lomekian wrote:
...Its like saying the bloke saying the end of the world is nigh will be vindicated when we finally crash into the sun in millions of years.
And presumably that will be Arsene Wenger's fault too.

Post #489662  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 pm 

Decaf wrote:
To be fair, AG makes a few good points. I think he wrong about Chump's chances. AG has always had a tendency to extrapolate and is severely limited in his prophetic powers. But it is a scary possibility. There may just be enough Americans who are sufficiently dissaffected/thick/bigotted/inert for that to come to pass

If Trump's opponents are idiots like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez he'll serve a second term, that looks a certainty.

Post #489663  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
lomekian wrote:
...Its like saying the bloke saying the end of the world is nigh will be vindicated when we finally crash into the sun in millions of years.
And presumably that will be Arsene Wenger's fault too.

:laughing7:

Post #489664  Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

As it happens, Elvis died 41 years ago today. Kind of fitting that they would share this day. Doesn't matter what generation you're from, there's just no denying that level of greatness.

Aretha Franklin passes away today, Elvis passed 41 years ago today.
Today is her 60th birthday. Madonna. Younger pic of course.

Attachments:

Post #489665  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:39 am 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Elvis is dead. But I thought he was living somewhere under an assumed name.

I don't suppose you have any information about Harold Holt.

Post #489666  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:21 am 

Rest In Power, Aretha. Soul music personified.

Post #489667  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 am 

Really Soc? That makes getting back to top 4 all the much harder. It's not like we really don't have the money either, at least the Kroenke's have it. If we were the Los Angeles Rams he'd find the money.

Looks like another season without top 4. We're becoming Liverpool of the late 90s and early 00s (some could argue presently). Flattering but really not going to win the title.

Post #489668  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am 

Mavididi joining Juve b team for £2m

Post #489669  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:38 am 

It looks like both Campbell and Ospina are gone. That leaves Jenkinson who's obviously not going anywhere now that he's injured.

Post #489670  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:20 am 

Decent read which summarises nicely what I have been saying for the last few days. Nevermind 3 months this will take years to fix

It has seemed like decades that we have been hanging on in groundhog day type scenarios waiting beyond patiently for Arsene to politely do the honourable thing and leave the building. The fact the guy didn’t ever have the decency to leave of his own accord kind of sums the latter part of his reign up but that’s another story.

The sad reality for me as a true AFC fan is that Arsene was simply allowed to stay on for far too long.

http://onlinegooner.com/article.php?sec ... 3agxRrTWhA

Post #489671  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm 

Joel Campbell departs

Arsenal have sold 26-year old Costa Rican forward Joel Campbell to Frosinone for a £1.5m initial fee.
He becomes player number 12 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£63m so far.

Post #489672  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:28 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Decaf wrote:

If Trump's opponents are idiots like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez he'll serve a second term, that looks a certainty.

Agree. If ever the expression "just a pretty face" applied, it is with her.

Post #489673  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm 

:22encouragement: Monreal's fit :22encouragement:

Post #489674  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decent read which summarises nicely what I have been saying for the last few days. Nevermind 3 months this will take years to fix

It has seemed like decades that we have been hanging on in groundhog day type scenarios waiting beyond patiently for Arsene to politely do the honourable thing and leave the building. The fact the guy didn’t ever have the decency to leave of his own accord kind of sums the latter part of his reign up but that’s another story.

The sad reality for me as a true AFC fan is that Arsene was simply allowed to stay on for far too long.

Of course it's going to be difficult but top 4 is doable with our current squad. A squad that would have finished higher than 6th last season if not for a horrible away record. I'd be amazed if Emery can't rectify our away form.

Post #489675  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:52 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Of course it's going to be difficult but top 4 is doable with our current squad. A squad that would have finished higher than 6th last season if not for a horrible away record. I'd be amazed if Emery can't rectify our away form.

Our away record was abysmal last season. Our home form was outstanding though. He will do well to kept that at the same level. Our away record was so bad, that you would have to expect a much better points total so hopefully a decent battle for 4th.

Post #489676  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:

If Leno stays as No.2 for most of the season then that really is nuts but I'd like to see him given a run in the team before we all write him off.

I've not seen Leno play even in Germany, but if we wanted a GK from these shores I'd have gone for Schmiechel from Leicester. He'd have been £30m+ though

I'm not writing him off at all. I just find the whole situation quite odd. Of the keepers based in England, my choice would be Butland. Hopefully Leno works out.

Post #489677  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 pm 

Mustafi hails Emery: "He told me the positives in my game and what to work on. I’m happy because it’s difficult when you never know what to work on because no one tells you."

Ouch

Post #489678  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

But I wasn't saying it will take 3 months to fix. I said it should take 3 months to see improvement..

Post #489679  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Mustafi hails Emery: "He told me the positives in my game and what to work on. I’m happy because it’s difficult when you never know what to work on because no one tells you."

Ouch
Amazing that a man with a good number of international caps with Germany and over 150 first team games in the Italian, Spanish and English leagues, needs to be told how to play by a bloke who barely played at the highest level!

Post #489680  Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:25 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ouch
Amazing that a man with a good number of international caps with Germany and over 150 first team games in the Italian, Spanish and English leagues, needs to be told how to play by a bloke who barely played at the highest level!

Do you really think so OMOH? Or are you just trying to excuse the lack of coaching to players given by Wenger in his latter years at Arsenal. Does it necessarily follow that good coaches will have played at the highest level anyway? I'm not so sure.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12239, 12240, 12241, 12242, 12243, 12244, 12245 ... 14269  Next