Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 158 guests

Post #489081  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:07 pm 

Has anything changed other than the quality of players we bought?

Thought things slowed down again in the second half when the old regulars came on. Is it just me or too early to say. Don't know what I expected but all I can see so far is more Wengerball

Post #489082  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Dartford will do a pre-season friendly to help out...

I grew up with Arsenal as an institutional pillar. Never for one moment did I believe that it would be owned by one bloke to be treated as his very own.

Me too LTG. Although there were always major stakeholders in the past, from Norris through to the Hill-Woods and the Bracewell-Smiths, it felt like the club was in safe, if sometimes rather conservative, hands. The idea that it would ever be owned by one person never entered our heads. We could blame Gordon Brown, Abramovich or most obviously Arsene Wenger, but the fact is the club ownership is where it is now due to the share sales agreed by David Dein, Lady Nina and Danny Fiszman. Nobody forced them to take the millions on offer from Kroenke or Usmanov, though in the case of the dying Danny, whose family was not as interested as he, it was at least understandable.

I abhor the influence of the oligarchs, sheikhs and other massive-moneyed interests in football, but sad to say it looks as if they have won the day. And lots of fans don't have a problem with that. All the more traditional Arsenal supporter can hope for is that whoever owns Arsenal looks after it well.

Post #489083  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:21 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Has anything changed other than the quality of players we bought?

Thought things slowed down again in the second half when the old regulars came on. Is it just me or too early to say. Don't know what I expected but all I can see so far is more Wengerball

I didn’t see the game but it is going to take time for Emery to get his methods across the to players. These games will be invaluable to him. If we believe what we’ve read I’m sure the team will be in watching video reels of today’s game to show good and bad points. Emery has only really had the players for 4 weeks or so.

I’d love to see us back in the top 4 but that is a big ask considering the strength of the rams who finished above us. At best you could say Chelsea may take some time to gel and spurs may stand still but the other 3 still look strong. We should have a good shot at Europa League again.

Post #489084  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:16 pm 

Couple of RIPs, if you’ll allow.

JT Murray - best wicket keeper of his generation and a stylish bat. Never played enough for England because there were better wk/batters, and batting was more valued than wicket keeping. I grew up watching him.

Paul Madeley - fine player in a host of positions but essentially a utility defender. Acquired a reputation as the acceptable face of Leeds cuntiness. I grew up watching him too. Good player but I never liked him. Nobody did. Team of *%^@.

Post #489085  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:08 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
I grew up with Arsenal as an institutional pillar. Never for one moment did I believe that it would be owned by one bloke to be treated as his very own.

Me too LTG. Although there were always major stakeholders in the past, from Norris through to the Hill-Woods and the Bracewell-Smiths, it felt like the club was in safe, if sometimes rather conservative, hands. The idea that it would ever be owned by one person never entered our heads. We could blame Gordon Brown, Abramovich or most obviously Arsene Wenger, but the fact is the club ownership is where it is now due to the share sales agreed by David Dein, Lady Nina and Danny Fiszman. Nobody forced them to take the millions on offer from Kroenke or Usmanov, though in the case of the dying Danny, whose family was not as interested as he, it was at least understandable.

I abhor the influence of the oligarchs, sheikhs and other massive-moneyed interests in football, but sad to say it looks as if they have won the day. And lots of fans don't have a problem with that. All the more traditional Arsenal supporter can hope for is that whoever owns Arsenal looks after it well.

Very good post.

The idea that Usmanov no longer being a part of The Arsenal is a cause for regret is absurd

Post #489086  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:51 pm 

dec wrote:

The idea that Usmanov no longer being a part of The Arsenal is a cause for regret is absurd

Not really ... if one sleazebag still owning a large lump of shares , stops the other sleazebag from gaining complete control ... surely that's a win .

Post #489087  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:04 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:

Not really ... if one sleazebag still owning a large lump of shares , stops the other sleazebag from gaining complete control ... surely that's a win .

One is a bit more than a sleazebag.

Post #489088  Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:52 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:

In my view you're absolutely correct kiwipete. If Usmanov selling his shares ends up in Kroenke getting a big enough percentage to load his debts onto Arsenal, I find this celebration that Usmanov is selling indicative of desiring what's damaging to the club.

Post #489089  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:36 am 

DHD wrote:

JT Murray - best wicket keeper of his generation and a stylish bat. Never played enough for England because there were better wk/batters, and batting was more valued than wicket keeping. I grew up watching him.

Paul Madeley - fine player in a host of positions but essentially a utility defender. Acquired a reputation as the acceptable face of Leeds cuntiness. I grew up watching him too. Good player but I never liked him. Nobody did. Team of *%^@.

I saw the fag end of Murray's career at Middlesex, as I did the spinner Titmus. From memory Knott of Kent was England's wicket keeper at the time, though I think he was younger.

I still remember that Leeds team. Sprake in goal, Reaney right back, Cooper left back, Charlton and Hunter central defence, Lorimer right midfield, Gray left midfield, Bremner and Giles central midfield, Jones and Clarke up front. Madeley seemed to cover every outfield position and Harvey was the back up keeper. Hated them.

Post #489090  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 am 

Jeff Reine-Adelaide departs

Arsenal have sold 20-year old French midfielder Jeff Reine-Adelaide to Angers for a £178k initial fee.
He becomes player number 9 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£70.5m so far.

Post #489091  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

In my view you're absolutely correct kiwipete. If Usmanov selling his shares ends up in Kroenke getting a big enough percentage to load his debts onto Arsenal, I find this celebration that Usmanov is selling indicative of desiring what's damaging to the club.

I'm no lover of Usmanov but I also think your point is a fair one Kiwi. If he's selling then I hope it's to someone other than Kroenke, however that seems highly unlikely. Now it seems we may get Kroenke Jr taking over from Gazidis. It looks like we're never going to get rid of these creeps at Arsenal.

Post #489092  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:31 am 

warrior wrote:
Jeff Reine-Adelaide departs

Arsenal have sold 20-year old French midfielder Jeff Reine-Adelaide to Angers for a £178k initial fee.
He becomes player number 9 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£70.5m so far.

My memory is that a lot of positive fuss was made about Adelaide after he shone in the Emirates Cup a few years back. He turned out to be the tallest skilful midget I've ever seen. Had the physical presence of an underweight 80 year old disabled granny.

It's also a general warning about youngsters who shine in pre-season games. However well Nelson, Guendouzi and Rowe did yesterday, they still have it all to do to make it. More than all. So does Maitland-Niles, still.

Post #489093  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:50 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
I'm no lover of Usmanov but I also think your point is a fair one Kiwi. If he's selling then I hope it's to someone other than Kroenke, however that seems highly unlikely. Now it seems we may get Kroenke Jr taking over from Gazidis. It looks like we're never going to get rid of these creeps at Arsenal.

If it's the only realistic way of stopping Kroenke from reaching the percentage he requires to not just load the outstanding debt from his original takeover onto the club but also the money he'll borrow to buy the Red & White shares, I would rather have Usmanov keep the 30% if nobody else will buy them.

Where is the report Josh may take Ivan's job?

Post #489094  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

I saw the fag end of Murray's career at Middlesex, as I did the spinner Titmus. From memory Knott of Kent was England's wicket keeper at the time, though I think he was younger.

I still remember that Leeds team. Sprake in goal, Reaney right back, Cooper left back, Charlton and Hunter central defence, Lorimer right midfield, Gray left midfield, Bremner and Giles central midfield, Jones and Clarke up front. Madeley seemed to cover every outfield position and Harvey was the back up keeper. Hated them.

I think it was Jim Parks who kept Murray out of the Test team Bernard - a better batsman than Murray but not as good a keeper.

Everyone hated that Leeds team.

Post #489095  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:22 am 

DHD wrote:
I think it was Jim Parks who kept Murray out of the Test team Bernard - a better batsman than Murray but not as good a keeper.

Everyone hated that Leeds team.

Before looking him up, my memory tells me Parks played for Sussex.

EDIT: I was right about Sussex, although Wikipedia says he finished off at Somerset.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Par ... _born_1931)

Post #489096  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:37 am 

Bernard wrote:

All I've seen is speculation. It appears clear that Kroenke Jr wants to be involved somehow and Sir Chips' pronouncement the other day doesn't fill me with any confidence that Gazidis will stay. I wish they'd all *%^@ off to be honest.

Post #489097  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:57 pm 

I see a few predictions of the season online and most have it 6th. Not surprising but I think we will surprise people this season. We have a great opportunity from the start. Pep may be reluctant to start some of his World Cup players. Can't see it because we are a big game but you never know.

As far as the Atletico game, I hope some fans don't read more into it than is there. Its a preseason game using a lot of young players, against a well coached side that is among the best in Europe.

Hope Ramsey signs. Haven't kept up with the 'why' he's not signed but I remain hopeful.

Post #489098  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:29 pm 

DHD wrote:

JT Murray - best wicket keeper of his generation and a stylish bat. Never played enough for England because there were better wk/batters, and batting was more valued than wicket keeping. I grew up watching him...
Murray was a great stylist. As a glove man he seemed to invite the ball towards him rather than catch it. I was fortunate to see him score a match-changing century against West Indies at The Oval in 1966. He joined Tom Graveney with seven wickets down for not many and they put on over two hundred - Murray got 112. England won by an innings against a top West Indies side.

Post #489099  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:30 pm 

Interesting piece on forums , focuses on Brighton’s NSC which I often lurk on https://www.theguardian.com/football/wh ... e-facebook

Post #489100  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

True Bernard ... you've have to suspect Dec had had a couple too many poitins when he made that statement . :3to-drink:

Post #489101  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hmmm .... I reckon this maybe a little bit of newspaper fabrication written by a Spurs loving reporter on a slow day .

Okay let's analyse the facts ..... Kroenke rejects a billion and something takeover bid from Usmanov , quoted as wont sell at any price , blocks Usmanov's getting on the board ....... so they are hardly the best of mates .

So why would the Uzbek help the Hairpiece in any way . ?

The former has twice as much money as the Yank so isn't exactly strapped for cash plus there is Africa's richest man Dangote who also has a sh*tload more than Stan who wants piece of Arsenal [ loves the Club ] why not sell to him ....?

Get all the Arse supporters fretting and stressing ... great result .

Take heart Brom ... the Berlin Wall came down , the Communist bloc disintegrated so anything is possible .

Post #489102  Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:22 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

All I've seen is speculation. It appears clear that Kroenke Jr wants to be involved somehow and Sir Chips' pronouncement the other day doesn't fill me with any confidence that Gazidis will stay. I wish they'd all *%^@ off to be honest.

Food for thought...Gazidis. If true.
http://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/peopl ... -e-gazidis

Post #489103  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:52 am 

I do like our new third kit. Hope we see plenty of it. Prefer it to the second kit.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arsenal-an ... -singapore

Post #489104  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:59 am 

Zed wrote:

Can you explain what you mean?

Post #489105  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 am 

Any sites anyone?

I looked back for the second link Soc posted on Wednesday but his posts have vanished? Very strange?

Someone else gave a link, that's missing as well.

Have I entered another universe?
:20hospitals:
Pls help me Roger.....................

Post #489106  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 am 

https://www.vipbox.live/arsenal-vs-pari ... ain-7-live

https://www.vipbox.live/arsenal-vs-pari ... ain-2-live

Post #489107  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:40 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Zed wrote:

It's not for me to speak for Zed but Bloomberg name Gazidis as PSG's CEO from September.

Post #489108  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:52 am 

socrates wrote:
https://www.vipbox.live/arsenal-vs-paris-saint-germain-7-live

https://www.vipbox.live/arsenal-vs-pari ... ain-2-live

Do your links actually work?

Post #489109  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

It's not for me to speak for Zed but Bloomberg name Gazidis as PSG's CEO from September.

Cheers Bernard. Özil appears to have scored :22encouragement:

Post #489110  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:59 am 

Ozillllll!

Post #489111  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 pm 

The commentators' attempts to pretend that this is anything other than a pre-season friendly are quite funny.

Post #489112  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:08 pm 

Guendouzi starts again and has impressed.

Post #489113  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 pm 

Good to see a manager prowling the touchline barking instructions.

Post #489114  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Watching in the two Singapore games he looks a player Bernard. Very composed, and with an excellent range of passing. He's only just 19 (April) as well which is quite amazing.

Needs work on the defensive side of his game and obviously he lacks a bit physically as he's still a kid but he looks a steal at £8m.

Post #489115  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:16 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Watching in the two Singapore games he looks a player Bernard. Very composed, and with an excellent range of passing. He's only just 19 (April) as well which is quite amazing.

Needs work on the defensive side of his game and obviously he lacks a bit physically as he's still a kid but he looks a steal at £8m.

He looks to have a personality. If we still had Vieira and Petit in our midfield alongside him, it wouldn't shock me if he demanded the ball from them.

Post #489116  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:16 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He looks like a proper footballer, doesn't he? We've had loads of kids impress in pre-season before but it's usually due to speed, and bits of skilful dribbling. With this kid it's the authority with which he tackles and a good range of passing. It's far far too early to draw any conclusions but the signs are very good.

Post #489117  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:37 pm 

Well that was fun. Well played to all the young lads, Smith-Rowe looked excellent again and I love Nketiah. To balance that I'm not entirely convinced with our central defensive options.

Post #489118  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

He looks to have a personality. If we still had Vieira and Petit in our midfield alongside him, it wouldn't shock me if he demanded the ball from them.

Indeed. Clearly it was a very youthful PSG but he was pulling the strings. His range of passing was great and I liked the way he often went for the more expansive pass than the safe option.

Nketiah is also one to watch. Good skills and a real nose for goal.

Infact, we've got some great kids coming through.

Agree with earlier comments regarding the CBs. Not sure about Sokratis at all and we look very vulnerable in that area without Kos. I'd have loved us to sign a top CB but I guess they are not exactly easy to find. Sven diamond eyes needs to get to work. If Guendouzi is the type of player he can find for £8m then find us a young CB as well.

Would like to see a bit more of AMN in central midfield as well.

Post #489119  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Indeed. Clearly it was a very youthful PSG but he was pulling the strings. His range of passing was great and I liked the way he often went for the more expansive pass than the safe option.

Nketiah is also one to watch. Good skills and a real nose for goal.

Infact, we've got some great kids coming through.

Agree with earlier comments regarding the CBs. Not sure about Sokratis at all and we look very vulnerable in that area without Kos. I'd have loved us to sign a top CB but I guess they are not exactly easy to find. Sven diamond eyes needs to get to work. If Guendouzi is the type of player he can find for £8m then find us a young CB as well.

Would like to see a bit more of AMN in central midfield as well.

Would love to see Chambers and Holding push hard to become our first choice CBs.

Post #489120  Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:55 pm 

Watching Clare v Galway. *%^@ me. What a match. What a game!!! Skill strength speed and courage.

Actually, add ‘amazing’ to all those adjectives.

[ 570735 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12225, 12226, 12227, 12228, 12229, 12230, 12231 ... 14269  Next