Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 81 guests

Post #488041  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:34 pm 

Oh dear, Germany concedes. They have been toothless in attack. The team is surprisingly poor in attack.

Post #488042  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:35 pm 

Would you believe it Germany down 1-0.......................

Post #488043  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm 

Never seen a Swedish team cause this much trouble for Germany. Could've scored three goals and I think it was a penalty on Berg as well. Germany look completely disoriented.

Post #488044  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Never seen a Swedish team cause this much trouble for Germany. Could've scored three goals and I think it was a penalty on Berg as well. Germany look completely disoriented.

Situation completely reversed in the opening minutes of the second half. Shame

Post #488045  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:16 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Yeah, shows how fast things can turn around in football. Sweden missed a great chance at the dying seconds of the first half - a goal there and we're looking at a completely different game. Instead Germany scores immediately in the second half and the momentum has completely shifted. Think Germany wins this with a couple of goals now.

Post #488046  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Yeah, shows how fast things can turn around in football. Sweden missed a great chance at the dying seconds of the first half - a goal there and we're looking at a completely different game. Instead Germany scores immediately in the second half and the momentum has completely shifted. Think Germany wins this with a couple of goals now.

That’s the beauty of football. You never know. Germany are bossing it but it could change in an instant.

Post #488047  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:54 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

That’s the beauty of football. You never know. Germany are bossing it but it could change in an instant.

Unbelievable. You couldn’t make it up. 30 seconds after the end of added time. Stupid foul for the free kick though.

Post #488048  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:54 pm 

Bugga they'll probably win the tournament now.......................

Post #488049  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:54 pm 

Fantastic free kick goal from Kroos

Post #488050  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:56 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Bugga they'll probably win the tournament now.......................

Well it will keep Bernard happy.

Post #488051  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 pm 

Bad free kick to concede, but that's a very harsh way to end the game.

Post #488052  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:04 pm 

Sorry for the Swedes.. Germany back from the brink. Dramatic stuff.You'd expect them to turn the South Koreans over now and qualify. They didn't look great but as has been said you wouldn't be surprised if they get stronger and stronger and go on and win it.

Post #488053  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:21 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Sorry for the Swedes.. Germany back from the brink. Dramatic stuff.You'd expect them to turn the South Koreans over now and qualify. They didn't look great but as has been said you wouldn't be surprised if they get stronger and stronger and go on and win it.

I don't think so. There's an odd fragility about this German team. Sweden didn't try to take the initiative when Boateng was sent off. They paid for it.

While upsets are fun, it diminishes the knockout phase when you lose big teams in the group stages. We might have Brazil v Germany in the next round.

Post #488054  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:55 pm 

dec wrote:
I don't think so. There's an odd fragility about this German team. Sweden didn't try to take the initiative when Boateng was sent off. They paid for it.

To be fair, I think it was a combination of tiredness and simply not having enough quality that prevented Sweden from taking the initiative. Forsberg is the only really skilled player in the side and unfortunately he's not in form at all.

Post #488055  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Not if Mexico allow Sweden to win. I am prepared to pay my own way to Russia to broker that deal. My wish is for a WC final with a couple of teams who have never been there before.

I don’t enjoy the way Germany play & never have. I like teams with flair and also teams which have an edge with them. You may not be surprised to find that Brazil of 82 & the Argentina win of 86 bring the most fond memories to me. I would rather watch Morocco in this WC than some of the more traditional teams.

Post #488056  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Not if Mexico allow Sweden to win. I am prepared to pay my own way to Russia to broker that deal. My wish is for a WC final with a couple of teams who have never been there before.

I don’t enjoy the way Germany play & never have. I like teams with flair and also teams which have an edge with them. You may not be surprised to find that Brazil of 82 & the Argentina win of 86 bring the most fond memories to me. I would rather watch Morocco in this WC than some of the more traditional teams.

With the players they have, it's about time for Belgium to be a football super power. And their yellow kit looks beautiful.

Post #488057  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:15 am 

Mueller is a very dirty player. I am surprised he needs to resort to unnecessary fouling. Perhaps the frustration brought this up.

Germany will carve S Korea open in the next game. Goal difference will count. I do not think Mexico will chance it, in letting Sweden win. They may find themselves going out with an inferior goal difference.

Will Özil return to the fold against S Korea?

Post #488058  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:16 am 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

With the players they have, it's about time for Belgium to be a football super power. And their yellow kit looks beautiful.

Belgium is my new favourite. I like the way they take their game forward. A very positive side.

Post #488059  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:20 am 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Not if Mexico allow Sweden to win. I am prepared to pay my own way to Russia to broker that deal.

I didn't like Belgium's yellow kit yesterday. Personal taste, but I don't like yellow full stop. So yellow football kits just don't do it for me. I agree with gooner7 that Mexico won't risk letting Sweden win because it could see them go out on goal difference if Germany slaughter Korea.

Having said that, I don't think he was right about Thomas Muller. He's hardly Peter Storey, Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, Graham Roberts and countless othes reinvented, is he? Blimey, he's not even Mathieu Flamini.

Post #488060  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I didn't like Belgium's yellow kit yesterday. Personal taste, but I don't like yellow full stop. So yellow football kits just don't do it for me. I agree with gooner7 that Mexico won't risk letting Sweden win because it could see them go out on goal difference if Germany slaughter Korea.

Having said that, I don't think he was right about Thomas Muller. He's hardly Peter Storey, Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, Graham Roberts and countless othes reinvented, is he? Blimey, he's not even Mathieu Flamini.

His skill levels were Flaminiesque yesterday. I was amazed that Low didn't take him off. I also thought that second half was crying out for Özil. It was lots of effort and huff & puff from Germany when some craft and incision was needed.

As for yellow kits, I like them. Brazil's iconic shirt and many of our own away kits have been tremendous. Don't like Belgium's though. Best kit of this tournament has been Peru's with that wonderful red sash.

Post #488061  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:18 am 

Not that any nation should get too far ahead of themselves at the World Cup...but it’s impossible not to look at the few....and it’s fun. There could be a fight to finish 2nd rather than top between England and Belgium. England’s group play the winners/runners up in the group of Colombia/Poland/japan/Senegal. Coming first or second has no real up or downside, Senegal maybe looking the strongest there but England and Belgium would be favourites whoever they face. It would be a Potential QF tie where it gets interesting. The winners of England’s group are on course to play the winners of a Brazil v Germany game, whereas the runners up in England’s group on course to play the winners of a Mexico/Swiss match.

There’s obviously plenty of football to play and England need to make sure they beat panama before they think about what they might do v Belgium.

Post #488062  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:10 pm 

Excellent play the way the Panama Canal opened a clear path for Stones. It looked rehearsed if so well done Gareth.

Post #488063  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Excellent play the way the Panama Canal opened a clear path for Stones. It looked rehearsed if so well done Gareth.

England 5 nil now but looking a bit shaky :angel8:

Post #488064  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm 

What a horrible team. It’s like watching England play a Pulis Stoke team. No intent to play football whatsoever. No intent to entertain.

Post #488065  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:02 pm 

Panama utter filth.

Sooner they go home the better.

Post #488066  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm 

6-0 England. Will they get to double digits before the end of the match? Panama deserves to be embarrassed, some of their players are downright dirty in their play.

Post #488067  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:38 pm 

But look at the celebrations when they score 6-1. That's the best part of the World Cup.

And they have a player named Fidel Escobar.

Post #488068  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:27 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

His skill levels were Flaminiesque yesterday. I was amazed that Low didn't take him off. I also thought that second half was crying out for Özil. It was lots of effort and huff & puff from Germany when some craft and incision was needed.

As for yellow kits, I like them. Brazil's iconic shirt and many of our own away kits have been tremendous. Don't like Belgium's though. Best kit of this tournament has been Peru's with that wonderful red sash.

Crystal Palace used to have a Peru-like kit if memory serves.

I don't get sites ranking Nigeria's home kit as the best- much prefer their away kit.

England's pre-match shirt looks great, reminiscent of the early 1980s Admiral kit. Similarly Germany's kit taking inspiration from 1988-90. Croatia and Colombia's away kits are nice too. And Senegal's away shirt is just fabulous.

Post #488069  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:37 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
But look at the celebrations when they score 6-1. That's the best part of the World Cup.

Fans were great they deserved a less unpleasant team.

England's defence looks wobbly at times - Maguire especially.

Post #488070  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:48 pm 

I reckon we should lose next game to Belgium in which case next round is a doodle but the following round we will definitely avoid Brazil or Germany.

What odds are bookies offering on us losing to Belgium?

Post #488071  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Muller played badly but what I mentioned Flamini for was gooner7's comment in post 496291, page 12408 that "Mueller is a very dirty player. I am surprised he needs to resort to unnecessary fouling." He's not what I call a dirty player.

It's a matter of taste. I don't like yellow. That includes Brazil's shirts, Belgium's shirts Arsenal's away shirts, yellow cars, ripe bananas, whatever.

Post #488072  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

Muller played badly but what I mentioned Flamini for was gooner7's comment in post 496291, page 12408 that "Mueller is a very dirty player. I am surprised he needs to resort to unnecessary fouling." He's not what I call a dirty player.

It's a matter of taste. I don't like yellow. That includes Brazil's shirts, Belgium's shirts Arsenal's away shirts, yellow cars, ripe bananas, whatever.

Yes. I knew what you meant with regard to the Flamini reference. He's not dirty.

As for the colour yellow, I'll leave that to your therapist :icon_biggrin1:

Post #488073  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:11 pm 

Japan vs Senegal was one of the best matches so far. Felt badly for the Senegalese team which I thought were the better side.

Post #488074  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:08 am 

Hazuki wrote:

They stopped their dirty play in the 2nd half. Good for them. It was a wonderful celebration from team and fans, was very happy for them.

Post #488075  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

I think it was because of frustration that Mueller fouled. But didn't you see the few times he unnecessarily tripped the opposing player after the ball was gone? Overall he is not a dirty player, but he was doing a few rough house manoeuvers during the game. Perhaps the cameras deliberately panned to him during those times.

Post #488076  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 am 

I enjoyed the Japan/Senegal match. Both very positive teams, who play to win. I thought Japan was the better team, and surprisingly so. They were not overawed by the physical presence of the Senegal players. Gosh, it looked at giants against midgets out there. Yet, the Japanese players bravely ran at their opposition. Their nifty movement got them into good positions many times. I hope Poland sends out more of their reserve players in their last game. They are already out, and should let their fringe players enjoy their day at the World Cup. And at the same time, make it a tad bit easier for Japan.

Post #488077  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 am 

Bbc winning the coverage battle so far but watching Wright’s banter Roy Keane and others on ITV has been hysterical.

Post #488078  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:11 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Sorry for the Swedes..

I'm not. If you defend that deep, especially when the opposition a man down, you are asking for it. Craven stuff.

Post #488079  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
6-0 England. Will they get to double digits before the end of the match? Panama deserves to be embarrassed, some of their players are downright dirty in their play.

I reckon they could have and I wish they had. Panama were a disgrace.

Lingard looked great after his knock on the head. Kane has ice in his veins and the luck of the devil.

Post #488080  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 am 

Hazuki wrote:

There were two good penalty claims early on which the ref ridiculously ignored.

Bloody Germans. Back to their old MO of stinking the place out and yet somehow still coming through. More Zermürbungskrieg than Blitzkrieg.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12199, 12200, 12201, 12202, 12203, 12204, 12205 ... 14269  Next