Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 117 guests

Post #488001  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Think of it this way. Iran beat Portugal, Spain draw or beat Morrocco & Ronaldo goes home. Would laugh until I felt sick.

It's very hard work not to be drawn into the 'omg, gosh Christiano' hype so I really do hope that Iran do the business to spare me the effort. I fear that if this continues the corks will really come out and the gushing will be overwhelming.

I think he's great and the World Cup would be much poorer without him. Proper showman, total cock, absolutely brilliant player.

Post #488002  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:13 pm 

warrior wrote:
All I need to do is rename the old, faulty 'Bernard' account

Forum competition time.

I suggest "Battenburg".

Post #488003  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:17 pm 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
The salutory lesson from yesterday was that VAR now makes celebrating a goal a pretty fraught experience.

That's my main problem with it - sucks the fun and spontaneity from the game. Oddly the reverse happens with cricket where reviews make it more exciting (realise I have just offered a massive hostage to fortune for the world-classers I can see lurking).

I just think it should only be for very specific things and not offsides. I really don't mind a few marginal mistakes when it comes to offsides. I do mind unjust red cards or blatant penalties or acts of violence not called.

Anything that results in Sergio Ramos suffering would be great fair or unfair.

In the Australia France game I STILL can't make up my mind if it was a pen having seen all the replays!

Post #488004  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Daz wrote:

Take it back, Niall, I forgot about Mr Nuance over there...hopefully he'll get really angry about something soon and start boycotting it.

Lol. You'll be happy to know that the boycott is now over and I'll be gracing the forum with my unique, nuanced presence again. Who knows, I might drop you a PM or 2 if you're lucky. :laughing7:

Ha I nearly deleted that post actually but it was too late...

Post #488005  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:30 pm 

warrior wrote:
Per Mertesacker departs

Arsenal have released 33-year old German defender Per Mertesacker from the club.
He becomes player number 6 to leave the club this season.

Bernard spotted earlier after receiving the news.

Attachments:

Post #488006  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:40 pm 

http://www.football365.com/news/england-win-reaction-exposes-an-unhappy-divided-country

Nicholson on form again...

Post #488007  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:08 pm 

Daz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
It's very hard work not to be drawn into the 'omg, gosh Christiano' hype so I really do hope that Iran do the business to spare me the effort. I fear that if this continues the corks will really come out and the gushing will be overwhelming.

I think he's great and the World Cup would be much poorer without him. Proper showman, total cock, absolutely brilliant player.

Yeah, I'm being drawn into that too. Its hard to be a cynic sometimes.

Post #488008  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
Daz wrote:
*%^@ VAR

I think this is a really interesting point actually.

I quite like the fact that VAR is getting contentious decisions right and I can see its benefits. How boring.

This is hypothetical, but LETS SAY its the final game of the season, we're at The Lane needing 3 points to win the league. Its 1-1, its 90 mins on the clock, and we score that goal that Iran scored against Spain. Mass frenzy, only for it to be chalked off by VAR for the most marginal of offsides that the naked eye couldn't spot. What does that do to the psyche of the average fan, who's just gone spazz about winning the league at white hart lane and now has to come down from that to be denied winning the league at white hart lane? I'm not sure I could cope.

Could I be magnanimous and accept that fair's fair, the right decision has been made, well done everyone else, hard cheese for us? I expect I would be bitter as a bitch and probably give it some "Fergie wouldn't have won *%^@ with VAR". But how does VAR affect the fans in the stadium? Can you celebrate any more when you score or do you now have to wait for VAR? What's the ettiquette here if you've scored, celebrated, had to wait for VAR, and do you then celebrate again if its ok? But its not as good right, the second time?

The salutory lesson from yesterday was that VAR now makes celebrating a goal a pretty fraught experience.

BUT, it wasn't actually VAR being intrusive. It was a good old-fashioned lino (aka 'assistant ref') that spoiled it. The Iranian players didn't look. They just hared off to the corner. Then the ref then went upstairs to check, not necessary to overrule. Would he have over-ruled his linesman otherwise? I can't see why he would.

I'm sure we can all remember cases* where a team has scored and had a big celebration only to notice belatedly that the flag is up.

On reflection, I think that the way the VAR is being done, i.e. with great circumspection, makes a lot of sense. The idea is to take the really stinking decisions out of the game, not the fun.

In this case, not only was there an off-sides, there was a handball too.

*Actually I can't. I can't get the Adebayor goal celebration *%^@ up against Liverpool out of my head.

Post #488009  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:26 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Yes thanks.

ahh ok - so, was that a yes or no ?

The reason I ask is, we are 95% done fixing the quote problem.

All I need to do is rename the old, faulty 'Bernard' account which is causing the quotation error, then create a new account for you called Bernard. I just want to make sure you will be able to log back in again.

Shouldn't we discuss this?

Post #488010  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:29 pm 

Daz wrote:
Pompey Gooner wrote:

That's my main problem with it - sucks the fun and spontaneity from the game. Oddly the reverse happens with cricket where reviews make it more exciting (realise I have just offered a massive hostage to fortune for the world-classers I can see lurking).

I just think it should only be for very specific things and not offsides. I really don't mind a few marginal mistakes when it comes to offsides. I do mind unjust red cards or blatant penalties or acts of violence not called.

Anything that results in Sergio Ramos suffering would be great fair or unfair.

In the Australia France game I STILL can't make up my mind if it was a pen having seen all the replays!

I missed that game. I agree that is NOT how it should be used. Leave the marginal ones (i.e. the ones that are actually debatable) to the on-field officials.

Post #488011  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 pm 

Var has been a lot less intrusive in this competition in comparison to the Fa cup last season. I disagree with Daz, I think it's very exciting when the ref heads over to take a gander.

Btw hahaha with instant replay in cricket. The only thing more certain to induce a coma than watching a bit of cricket is to watch the same bit twice. Unless your man trips and falls when delivering the drinks for the poor souls who don't do anything other than stand around a large field for 9 hours a day, 5 days in a row. Unless it rains.

Post #488012  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm 

John wrote:
Var has been a lot less intrusive in this competition in comparison to the Fa cup last season. I disagree with Daz, I think it's very exciting when the ref heads over to take a gander.

Btw hahaha with instant replay in cricket. The only thing more certain to induce a coma than watching a bit of cricket is to watch the same bit twice. Unless your man trips and falls when delivering the drinks for the poor souls who don't do anything other than stand around a large field for 9 hours a day, 5 days in a row. Unless it rains.

Philistine :laughing7:

Post #488013  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 pm 

John wrote:

*instant replay*

Post #488014  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:41 pm 

I like this Peruvian side. France looks great and this world cup seems to have restored Pogba's confidence. France is the best Eurpiean side Ive seen so far. Yes, better than Spain I think slightly. More power and pace to Spain's better technical ability.

Girpud doing well. I really liked him. The ball would have went in without Mbappe's help probably.

Post #488015  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm 

Daz wrote:
John wrote:

*instant replay*

Whatever

Post #488016  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:52 pm 

I backed France before the tournament started. Not sure tbh.

Also backed Lucako for top scorer. 2 on the board already and you'd fancy him to notch a few more before the group stages are finished given their upcoming oppo.

Post #488017  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
I hope we sell Özil.
Arsenal's tiki-take under the former manager was toothless beauty.

I don't think there was anything beautiful about Arsenal's possession game under Wenger, toothless or not. The keeper rolls it out to a centre half. He gives it to the nearest full back who gives it back to him. He then gives it to the other centre half who gives it to the other full back who is nearest him. That full back gives it back to the keeper and the routine starts again, maybe with the variation of the keeper giving it to a full back or the other centre half.

Look, when the midfielders get the ball there is plenty of sideways passes or passing back. But I don't think Özil can be blamed as the main cause for our possession football being so boring, which if you want him sold I presume you do. His assist stats suggest he is more likely to pass it purposefully forward than many.

Also, selling Özil could be dangerous for another reason. Getting rid of him six months after signing a contract extension could give the next big player we have approaching the end of his contract, or at least his agent, doubts whether Arsenal's contract offer is to keep him longer-term as a player or to avoid losing him on a Bosman. Selling Özil for a hefty transfer fee now will surely cost him a lot of what he could have got as a signing on fee had he joined whoever on a free transfer. Can Arsenal risk that in future negotiations with players nearing the end of their contracts? I doubt it.

I do see your point about Özil. I would hope he will make more forward passes in the new season. He had a higher tendency to hold and pass sideways in the last half of the season.

Post #488018  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm 

Rog, I'm having problems sending you a PM. Could you please send me a new stand alone one and I'll see if it will let me reply to it? Thanks in advance.

Post #488019  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm 

Bernard2 wrote:
Rog, I'm having problems sending you a PM. Could you please send me a new stand alone one and I'll see if it will let me reply to it? Thanks in advance.

I have created the account for you and activated it.

Just login as Bernard with the password you supplied.

You just need to log off first, then back on again.

Post #488020  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard2 wrote:

I have created the account for you and activated it.

Just login as Bernard with the password you supplied.

You just need to log off first, then back on again.

Thanks. Seems to have worked.

Post #488021  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 pm 

Argentina 0-3 Croatia. Thoroughly deserved for the croats, argentina a total shambles.

Technically the Argies aren't out, but if Iceland beat Nigeria then Iceland and Croatia can engineer a draw that puts them both through and Argentina out.

Worst performance by a 'big' team at the world cup. The team shape was awful. They had nothing in midfield. The croatian midfield 3 are very talented but they were given the freedom of the pitch

Post #488022  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:58 pm 

Missed Argentina/Croatia game could the Argies be on their way home.....................................

Post #488023  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm 

Well, we have first huge shock result of the tournament.

Post #488024  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
Technically the Argies aren't out, but if Iceland beat Nigeria then Iceland and Croatia can engineer a draw that puts them both through and Argentina out.

Messi has his 31st biruhday this Sunday, the 24th June. That means he'll hit 35 during the next World Cup finals. Hopefully he'll be retired from international football by then. But if he's not I hope that'll be too old for him to win it for Argentina. I just don't want him to win it. I thus also hope Iceland beat Nigeria and then draw with Croatia to stop him being able to win it this time. But just to make sure, I'll be supporting Nigeria against Argentina anyway.

Post #488025  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 pm 

Am I the only one who gets p*ssed off when the TV cameras briefly focus on small sections of the fans and when they see themselves on the stadium's screens, they start waving, clapping, pointing at themselves and so on. I don't mind children doing it so much. Young kids are immature, after all. But when adults do it, I'm not so forgiving. 'ang 'em!

Post #488026  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Am I the only one who gets p*ssed off when the TV cameras briefly focus on small sections of the fans and when they see themselves on the stadium's screens, they start waving, clapping, pointing at themselves and so on. I don't mind children doing it so much. Young kids are immature, after all. But when adults do it, I'm not so forgiving. 'ang 'em!

Who was the last person to be hung for that?

Post #488027  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 pm 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

There was a time when you could get hanged for practically anything. Someone was for shoplifting an apple once. So if football had been televised back then, I'd hope the tarts (non gender-specific) who did that would be topped.

Post #488028  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

There was a time when you could get hanged for practically anything. Someone was for shoplifting an apple once. So if football had been televised back then, I'd hope the tarts (non gender-specific) who did that would be topped.

Harsh but fair.

Post #488029  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 pm 

Daz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I'd be ashamed if any Kiwi acted like that

I'm talking about play acting

.... your Welsh compatriot JPR was probably holding on to the ball at the bottom of the ruck , John Ashworth was probably just trying to dislodge it ...no malice intended :angel8:

Post #488030  Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:49 am 

@Bernard - you'll see your quote problem is fixed now ...

:icon_smile11:

Post #488031  Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Well, we have first huge shock result of the tournament.

Since it looked a 50-50 sort of game I'd hardly call it a huge shock result. Much less of a surprise than Mexico beating Germany for instance.

Post #488032  Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 am 

Bernard wrote:

I'm not sure I could go all the way and support capital punishment Bernard, but I agree they are bloody irritating.

Post #488033  Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 am 

warrior wrote:
@Bernard - you'll see your quote problem is fixed now ...

:icon_smile11:

Many thanks.

Post #488034  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:20 am 

Strange article I saw recently that we may be in for the CSKA player Govonin bu Wenger is saving him for himself even though he is out of a job. It hints that he is looking to manage right away and would want to sign him. Read another report he's turned down 2 positions. When you were the world's highest paid manager, anything is a pay cut I suppose. I have the feeling though Wenger has an inflated view of his value right now.

Post #488035  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:31 am 

Glad to see wins for Nigeria and Switzerland. Our new defender and Xhaka have performed well in the WC so far.

Post #488036  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:48 am 

Goonie wrote:
Glad to see wins for Nigeria and Switzerland. Our new defender and Xhaka have performed well in the WC so far.

Lichsteiner was more than lucky to get away with a rugby tackle on the Serbian forward. That was the most obvious penalty claim of the whole tournament.

Post #488037  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:06 am 

Goonie wrote:

Xhaka’s strike was superb, particularly as the ball was spinning wildly, could have gone anywhere if it wasn’t hit perfectly. I was pleased for him because the co comm was giving him stick all game, it was a bit like Xhaka was one of the few players he knew anything about so kept going on at him. It seemed lazy because he was saying Xhaka had been careless on the ball when he had the best pass completion rate of any Swiss player.
Lichtsteiner is an angry man, or competitive if you prefer, was in the refs ear all game. Can’t have a whole team of players like that but a bit of a b*stard is something arsenal have lacked

Post #488038  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:37 am 

Shakiri available for £12m, relegation clause apparently. You’d struggle to find better value for money for an attacking wide player this summer

Post #488039  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 am 

Rich wrote:
Lichtsteiner is an angry man, or competitive if you prefer, was in the refs ear all game. Can’t have a whole team of players like that but a bit of a b*stard is something arsenal have lacked

Former referee Jonas Eriksson is working as a pundit for Swedish televisionn during the world cup, he spoke a bit about Lichtsteiner before Switzerland - Brazil. Said he was the most unpleasant player he's ever come across, always in a bad mood and impossible to talk to. I think Arsenal can be accused of being way too nice as a team, so a little bit of that could be a good thing.

Post #488040  Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:29 pm 

Özil dropped, I think warranted. He is too slow in his play. It seems like he is spiralling downwards in double quick time. I believe he hasn't been playing well for a long time for club and now, country.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12198, 12199, 12200, 12201, 12202, 12203, 12204 ... 14269  Next