Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 99 guests

Post #487921  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm 

I thought England played quite well first half, not so much second half, but any judgement of the display has to be tempered by the fact that Tunisia were absolutely diobolical.

Historically African sides have been weak tactically and defensively but blessed with a sprinkling of strong, athletic, pacy, skilful players who can cause any nation problems. Tunisia were the complete opposite, a bunch of journeyman footballers who were well organised and had a gameplan but lacked any kind of pace or panache.

We gifted them a goal and should have had four or five ourselves. In the end we made quite hard work of very limited opponents.

That said, no team has really impressed thus far and generally the minnows have given the so called "big boys" a testing time to the extent that several games could easily have gone either way.

At the moment this world cup looks wide open. The germans could go out in the group stage if they don't buck their ideas up. France and Belgium are typically looking less than the sum of their parts and Spain whilst being the best footballing side in the competition do have defensive issues and could be undone by counter-attacking sides.

Brazil are the Neymar show which detracts from the fact that they have some really good players (Countinho, Willian, Firmino, Jesus etc) and Argentina are basically expecting Messi to drag them to the final (a la Maradona) despite having plenty of other good players themselves.

A lot could depend on who finishes where in the groups and it's possible one side of the draw could end up being very strong and the other very weak. If I had to put money on a winner I'd go for Spain but there are five or six sides who given a bit of luck with decisions and the way the draw pans out could go a long way.

Post #487922  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:08 pm 

socrates wrote:
I thought England played quite well first half, not so much second half, but any judgement of the display has to be tempered by the fact that Tunisia were absolutely diobolical.

Historically African sides have been weak tactically and defensively but blessed with a sprinkling of strong, athletic, pacy, skilful players who can cause any nation problems. Tunisia were the complete opposite, a bunch of journeyman footballers who were well organised and had a gameplan but lacked any kind of pace or panache.

We gifted them a goal and should have had four or five ourselves. In the end we made quite hard work of very limited opponents.

That said, no team has really impressed thus far and generally the minnows have given the so called "big boys" a testing time to the extent that several games could easily have gone either way.

At the moment this world cup looks wide open. The germans could go out in the group stage if they don't buck their ideas up. France and Belgium are typically looking less than the sum of their parts and Spain whilst being the best footballing side in the competition do have defensive issues and could be undone by counter-attacking sides.

Brazil are the Neymar show which detracts from the fact that they have some really good players (Countinho, Willian, Firmino, Jesus etc) and Argentina are basically expecting Messi to drag them to the final (a la Maradona) despite having plenty of other good players themselves.

A lot could depend on who finishes where in the groups and it's possible one side of the draw could end up being very strong and the other very weak. If I had to put money on a winner I'd go for Spain but there are five or six sides who given a bit of luck with decisions and the way the draw pans out could go a long way.

African football has traditionally been about sub-Saharan flair against North African discipline. There have been signs that the likes of Algeria, Morrocco, and Egypt might be evolving a more creative style. After all, European teams are bristling with talented players of North African descent. But its been mighty disappointing for Africa so far.

Post #487923  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:11 pm 

Although there's an argument Tunisia were essentially France B.

Post #487924  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Saudia Arabia has never been world beaters internationally. They get in by playing smaller mid east countries with no talent. Saudi Arabia also has a population of African descent which adds some athelticsim to their squad the other mid east countries don't have. Getting past Oman, Kuwait, UAE, Baharain isn't much of a problem. Iran and to some extent Iraq can pose problems but they don't have to do much to get there.

Throw in playing the host country with the eyes of the world on you and its a recipe for a disastrous start.

I often wonder if any middle eastern country would boycott a match if Israel got in and they have to play each other?

Struggling with this one. Are you suggesting that there is a lack of footballing talent in the Arab world?

Post #487925  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:16 pm 

Anyone watching the cricket?

Brutal.

Post #487926  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 pm 

Daz wrote:
Abu wrote:

Yep, unfortunately no one with and real stature in the middle - we might bumble our way to the quarters. If Henderson is going to knock them long balls over put Vardy on not the fancy dan Sterling...

Totally disagree. People talk about 40m quarterback balls as if they are easy or somehow vulgar but never seem to mind them done by a Gullit or a Veron. Thought Henderson had a good game and given that most of our many chances came from using width to get through the Tunisian defence it was right to try and get it out there and the LAST thing I wanted to see was the largely unwanted Jack Wilshere working his way industriously through the middle before falling over/diving/grimacing in agony as he twisted his ankle.

Overall we played better than Brazil did in their game (hugely overrated side including the tiresome Neymar) and while we tired in the second half it was great to see a team managed by a thoughtful and likeable guy who at least had given some thought to tactics - you lot are like the bloody English who moan and bitch when we get a bit of sun that it's too hot.

Enjoyable game, my daughter's first World Cup game and had the ultimate football joy of an injury time goal for her utter incredulous delight.

Disagree with what - sterling's game is going past people - Vardy's is latching onto to long balls and larruping into the net - don't think Wilshire would have helped either - you cock womble

Post #487927  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm 

Surprised to be reading so much praise for Ingerlund. Thought they were average and uninspiring.

Post #487928  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:59 pm 

DHD wrote:
Anyone watching the cricket?

Brutal.

Been at work all day - just seen the score. Bloody hell.

Post #487929  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:08 pm 

Abu wrote:
Daz wrote:

Totally disagree. People talk about 40m quarterback balls as if they are easy or somehow vulgar but never seem to mind them done by a Gullit or a Veron. Thought Henderson had a good game and given that most of our many chances came from using width to get through the Tunisian defence it was right to try and get it out there and the LAST thing I wanted to see was the largely unwanted Jack Wilshere working his way industriously through the middle before falling over/diving/grimacing in agony as he twisted his ankle.

Overall we played better than Brazil did in their game (hugely overrated side including the tiresome Neymar) and while we tired in the second half it was great to see a team managed by a thoughtful and likeable guy who at least had given some thought to tactics - you lot are like the bloody English who moan and bitch when we get a bit of sun that it's too hot.

Enjoyable game, my daughter's first World Cup game and had the ultimate football joy of an injury time goal for her utter incredulous delight.

Disagree with what - sterling's game is going past people - Vardy's is latching onto to long balls and larruping into the net - don't think Wilshire would have helped either - you cock womble

First off I don't deal with *%^@ who use phrases like cock womble or *%^@ puffin. It violates the whole point and beauty of swearing - short, sharp Anglo-Saxon jabs - and is largely for students.

Having cleared that one up, Vardy's game is being a rat-faced racist scummer and not much else.

As for Henderson the whole point is he wasn't just lifting it over the top for a runner he was finding players in dangerous positions with some long passes something I consider a recherché art and not route one predictability.

Oaf.*

*Didn't there used to be a carrot-based insult too? I distinctly recall something about carrots unless it has all been a dream.

Post #487930  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:12 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Surprised to be reading so much praise for Ingerlund. Thought they were average and uninspiring.

You also thought Sergio Ramos was hard done by.

Post #487931  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:20 pm 

Daz wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

To be fair I love Sergio Ramos. A great player. Unlike Jordan Henderson - an average and uninspiring player.

Post #487932  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Daz wrote:

To be fair I love Sergio Ramos. A great player. Unlike Jordan Henderson - an average and uninspiring player.

Blocked and reported to AG.

Post #487933  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:40 pm 

I too thought England were excellent for the first quarter. Trippier was excellent and I was hugely impressed by Loftus Cheek when he came on. Despite being a 'spud' it's hard not to like Kane and despite doing the square root of *%^@ all for almost the whole game he has a nasty habit of scoring in every *%^@** game he plays in. Rather annoyingly for a world class supporter it is disappointing that this England team and manager is in fact quite likeable. Still hope yis go out on penalties though..

Post #487934  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:45 pm 

Carrot cruncher when you went all veggie

Post #487935  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm 

Steve Bould is still assistant head coach along with Carcedo.

Be interesting to see if he is visibly more vocal.

Post #487936  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

It will also be interesting to hear if he is audibly more visual. Time will tell.

Post #487937  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Good. It would have been very unfair to tarnish him with the awful defending these past few seasons given Wenger's reluctance to give up any responsibility.

Anyway, time for Russia v Egypt. I still love the World Cup

Post #487938  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 pm 

John wrote:

No it was definitely Abu who was the carrot cruncher not me. Is it because he’s a ginger?

Post #487939  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:51 pm 

We've signed Leverkusen's Bernd Leno according to SSN.

and

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/19/official ... l-7641802/

Post #487940  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
We've signed Leverkusen's Bernd Leno according to SSN.

and

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/19/official ... l-7641802/

On arsenal.com now as well. Another signing I haven't watched but who looks like the right profile. Was a big talent from a young age, been a regular in Bundesliga for years but is only 26. Leverkusen has been a regular top 5 club with him as their starter, so he can't be that bad.

Post #487941  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 pm 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/good-luck-jack

Wilshere officially leaving. I think it's probably the right move for both him and Arsenal, but still sad to see him go. Such high hopes for him when he first broke through. If not for all the injuries he could've been the best English midfielder of this generation.

Post #487942  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
https://www.arsenal.com/news/good-luck-jack

Wilshere officially leaving. I think it's probably the right move for both him and Arsenal, but still sad to see him go. Such high hopes for him when he first broke through. If not for all the injuries he could've been the best English midfielder of this generation.

I'll second that.
Remember his performance in the Nou Camp when he stood toe toe to with that legendary Barcelona midfield, it really looked as if he was a superstar in the making. Hope it goes well for him wherever he ends up.

Post #487943  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 pm 

Sorry to see Jack go.

Wenger destroyed him by continually over playing him when he was in the red zone and created a perpetual series of injuries that reduced his ability.

#merci Arsene

Post #487944  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I'll second that.
Remember his performance in the Nou Camp when he stood toe toe to with that legendary Barcelona midfield, it really looked as if he was a superstar in the making.

I don't even think this is a rose tinted view, he really WAS that talented. But he's missed entire seasons because of injuries, that would hamper the development of any player.

For me, this means an open squad place where we could sign someone who could actually be a player for our starting eleven. Don't think Wilshere could ever be more than a squad player at Arsenal at his current level.

Post #487945  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 pm 

Wilshere off, sad to see him go but with his injury history it’s the right decision. If we saw his performances for any other prem side this season we wouldn’t be screaming to sign him.

Frustrating that it is another player gone for zero money. Probably could have got £20m for him with a couple of years left on his deal. Hopefully with the shake up behind the scenes this should be the last of our players to leave for free or vastly reduced fees.

Post #487946  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 pm 

Saw this on twitter, all these players have gone in the last 12 months.
Sczcesny, debuchy, Gibbs, Gabriel, per, coq, Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere, Sanchez, Giroud.

Post #487947  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:11 pm 

Sad to see Jack go, but he simply wasn't going to be first choice at the club. The fact is, though more tactically intelligent, he's less of a player now than he was at 19 because injuries have robbed him of his acceleration and ability to beat players effectively. A shame as I think he could still have been a useful player, but his comparative lack of athleticism was always going to count against him with Emery's managerial style.

Yet another player who could have been a world beater to have been diminished due to injury, mostly bad tackles. Diaby, Gibbs (by a young Mangala), Wilshere, and perhaps even Ramsey were all stunted by broken limbs that were solely the result of bad tackles, not to mention 2007-08 where that young team was kicked from pillar to post and ultimately fouled out of the title winning position they were in.

The legacy of stone-age English refs on Arsenal Football Club. Wilshere should have been dominating England's midfield, and had he been playing in Italy, Spain, France or Holland, the chances are he would have had less than half the injuries and a much better career to date.

Post #487948  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saw this on twitter, all these players have gone in the last 12 months.
Sczcesny, debuchy, Gibbs, Gabriel, per, coq, Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere, Sanchez, Giroud.

So much for the British (and homegrown) core....

Post #487949  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sorry to see Jack go.

Wenger destroyed him by continually over playing him when he was in the red zone and created a perpetual series of injuries that reduced his ability.

#merci Arsene

His two worst injuries were directly the result of bad tackles on him....

Post #487950  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It will also be interesting to hear if he is audibly more visual. Time will tell.

I'd get rid of Bould , not much of a bloke in my opinion .

Reasoning ....... if he did have any input as far as the defence is concerned ... he's sh***&&%t

and if he didn't ; it means he's spineless and been content to sit around for how ever many years picking up good money for doing what ....?

Just read a book " 50 people who stuffed up South Africa "

Rudolf Straeuli the Springbok coach 2002 - 2003 must have been an extreme nutcase .... took the squad to a police training camp , stripped them naked to crawl over gravel , then into a freezing cold lake still naked to pump up rugby balls.

Anyone trying to exit had live ammunition fired at them .All this in an attempt to harden them up ...team bonding

Paid dividends too ..... :laughing7: record away losses 10 - 30 v France , 6 - 21 v Scotland , 3 - 53 v England
Home 16 - 52 v the All Blacks at Loftus Verswald ....and for all this he got a 2 million rand golden handshake when he was sacked .

Post #487951  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:23 pm 

Interesting day now the Sampdoria president has said that Torreira has been sold for 30million euros to us but we are also being linked with Ever Banega now who played for Emery at Seville.

Interesting times and reminds me of when Wenger joined and we started signing all these players we never heard of like Grimandi, petit and Anelka and wondered how they were being planned to be fitted in.

Post #487952  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I'd get rid of Bould , not much of a bloke in my opinion .

Reasoning ....... if he did have any input as far as the defence is concerned ... he's sh***&&%t

and if he didn't ; it means he's spineless and been content to sit around for how ever many years picking up good money for doing what ....?

Agree

Shotgun blast to the solar Plexus. That should finish him off. Waster

Post #487953  Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm 

We fired our osteopath and travel manager! For some reason that made
me laugh and reminded me of the time when that vigilante group in Portsmouth found the home address of a paediatrician and smashed his windows.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44533207

Post #487954  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:12 am 

Bernd Leno

Arsenal have signed 26-year old German goalkeeper Bernd Leno from Bayer Leverkusen for a £19.2m initial fee.
He becomes signing number 2 this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£19.2m so far.

Post #487955  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:46 am 

warrior wrote:
Bernd Leno

Arsenal have signed 26-year old German goalkeeper Bernd Leno from Bayer Leverkusen for a £19.2m initial fee.
He becomes signing number 2 this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£19.2m so far.

Keep them coming ...... a new Arsenal. Very excited about it.

Post #487956  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:50 am 

I like the Senegal team, and the way they play. I wish Arsenal would play like that. Fast, strong, purposeful, driven. They pass the ball forward from player to player with one-two touches. Well deserved win against Poland.

Glad to see Japan beating Colombia. Although I don't think they will get through to the next round. They will be physically out muscled by the Senegalese, and bombarded by the Poles.

Post #487957  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:51 am 

Rich wrote:
Wilshere off, sad to see him go but with his injury history it’s the right decision. If we saw his performances for any other prem side this season we wouldn’t be screaming to sign him.

Frustrating that it is another player gone for zero money. Probably could have got £20m for him with a couple of years left on his deal. Hopefully with the shake up behind the scenes this should be the last of our players to leave for free or vastly reduced fees.

Jack tried, but is no longer the player he used to be before his injuries. Hope he gets his good days in the new club.

Post #487958  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:29 am 

The best of luck Jack. You were one of my favorite players. Loved your passion and skill.

Post #487959  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 am 

Happy for Senegal. Good match too. They have energy and athleticism and pace. I think they could stand to be a bit more disciplined but I like them.
Japan did well and was glad to see them win as well.
So far, Brazil seems the team that will likely take it. Belgium may get to the semis. A lot of talent there although I think they could be vulnerable at the back.

Post #487960  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:01 am 

Daz wrote:
John wrote:

No it was definitely Abu who was the carrot cruncher not me. Is it because he’s a ginger?

That's right. Either the ginger or the loose-Cannonball effect.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12196, 12197, 12198, 12199, 12200, 12201, 12202 ... 14269  Next