Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 95 guests

Post #487841  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Remember when the French side used to be stacked with our players. Hope Emery can return us to a position of strength. Not enough arsenal players at this World Cup.

I presume you weren't impressed with Xhaka getting a new contract? Talking of new contracts, Tottenham did very well in getting Kane to sign a six year one. Even if he leaves before it's up, it surely guarantees them a huge transfer fee.

Actually I think it’s quite good as recently we have struggled to get our players tied to contracts and let them go on the cheap.

I still have my reservations about him as a player and it will be interesting to see how he fares under a new manager. Jack Wilshere is about to Join palace apparently so there will be much change next year.

God this France game is watching paint dry

Post #487842  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 am 

After a slightly ominous first five minutes, Oz have been very comfortable and France very ordinary. The French could do with getting Matuidi and Giroud on the pitch.

Post #487843  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:58 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
After a slightly ominous first five minutes, Oz have been very comfortable and France very ordinary. The French could do with getting Matuidi and Giroud on the pitch.

Yeah oz organised in defence but very little going forward. France are a shambles at the.moment and there appears to be no cohesiveness to their play.

Post #487844  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 am 

That's a shame. Very harsh pen. And I hate VAR.

Post #487845  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:16 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I still have my reservations about him as a player and it will be interesting to see how he fares under a new manager.

I think that can be said about various players I see as Wengerised. Look, I'm not saying Mustafi should be kept, but it wouldn't shock me if even he improves under Emery.

Post #487846  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 am 

1-1 :53big-emoticons: cmon Aussies

Post #487847  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:04 pm 

Pretty proud of the boys & if we play well in other games we can pick up points. France will need to improve substantially as they didn’t create much until Giroud spread us around. On this performance they are not going to win it. Hope France see they need to put in big efforts in the next 2 group games & score heaps of goals.

What was clear was that a good coach can really improve a side defensively in a short time. We were terrible defensively in the group qualifying matches but we did really well after he came on board. Let us hope it is replicated at Arsenal.

Post #487848  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 pm 

I heard there was almost a fight with one of the Aussie players when they saw one of the France players the day before out with his mother and he greeted her 'hey Mother Fekir"

I'll get my coat.. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #487849  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:55 pm 

My initial reaction is I don't like Xhaka's contract renewed. I'm hoping Emery can make him more useful considering his lackings. I'm hoping the videos of his shot are what convinced them. He needs to work on those shots in training and we employ them in matches.

Post #487850  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:59 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Pretty proud of the boys & if we play well in other games we can pick up points. France will need to improve substantially as they didn’t create much until Giroud spread us around. On this performance they are not going to win it. Hope France see they need to put in big efforts in the next 2 group games & score heaps of goals.

What was clear was that a good coach can really improve a side defensively in a short time. We were terrible defensively in the group qualifying matches but we did really well after he came on board. Let us hope it is replicated at Arsenal.

Definitely structure and the team knowing what was expected. Need more in attack though.

Next match....
Is it just me but does Messi look like a hyena?

Post #487851  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

Argentina totally dominant and then 1-1. Brilliant.

Post #487852  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:53 pm 

On Wilshere leaving I never thought be had the vision of Fabregas and although he has a lot of fight, his injuries have slowed down any technical or physical progress. Let him go I say but as usual due to the contract mismanagement we'll get *%^@ all for him.

Post #487853  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:56 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Argentina totally dominant and then 1-1. Brilliant.

Argentina are all over the place at the back. They have all the possession but are giving up chances out of nothing.

Post #487854  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:10 pm 

Now that I think about it this must have been the reason I didn't get into Harvard and Cambridge.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... am-school/

Post #487855  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:13 pm 

France dominated possession but didn't seem impressive against a very average Aussie squad.

Post #487856  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:44 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Wow. Ronaldo 3-3. What a great game.

It was all a bit mad. Soft peno. Foul by Costa for the first equaliser. The shot off the bar and the line and then the Portuguese defender's hand. Absolute howler from DeGea. Glorious volley by Koke. Dive by Ronaldo for the free kick and a superb strike, although I would question DeGea's positioning of the wall. And why oh why take Costa off?

Indeed. Costa really does round of Spain nicely. Absurd though it was that the foul wasn't given, one can only admire Costa's pace, power, and skill on the first goal. One of my favourite players. I was most impressed with Isco and the way that Nacho put his error behind him and turned in stellar performance. In fact, Spain looked almost perfect yesterday, aside from the two Ronaldo sucker-punches and the de Gea error.

Post #487857  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
A bit mad true but some glorious football by the Spanish. They look like serious contenders to me even though it was just the first game. A lot of fun and a great watch anyway.

Oh ya. Highly entertaining. I rated Spain as favourites before the tournament. I'd be less than convinced now. They played some lovely stuff but were wide open to counter attacks.

Only 4 games in, but there have been some cracking goals already.

Yes, that is the one worry about their play. But didn't most of those counter-attacks come when they were looking for an equaliser?

Post #487858  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
He looks like a malnourished rat.

Sadly I didn't bother watching the last quarter of an hour or so, as I had something more interesting to do like watching paint dry. Hence I missed Torreira. Uruguay looked very poor. Why didn't he start the game? Hopefully his being on the bench is explained by him not being 100% fit. Because if the reason was their coach not considering a fully fit Torreira to be good enough to be a starter, from what I saw of the Uruguay midfield I'm a little concerned.

Actually, when Uruguay brought on their subs they improved immeasurably. However, it was the other two subs that made the difference.

I can't say I noticed him doing anything in particular. In fact, I didn't know that we had signed Torreira until I saw it mentioned here yesterday.

I noticed his physique (or lack thereof) because my wife was commenting on how the Urugauy players were bullying the Egyptian physically, and we both felt that Torreira coming on would help to even things out.

Post #487859  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:03 pm 

Decaf wrote:
dec wrote:
Oh ya. Highly entertaining. I rated Spain as favourites before the tournament. I'd be less than convinced now. They played some lovely stuff but were wide open to counter attacks.

Only 4 games in, but there have been some cracking goals already.

Yes, that is the one worry about their play. But didn't most of those counter-attacks come when they were looking for an equaliser?

When they were 1-0 down so early in the match and when it was 1-1 too. They must be worried about DeGea. He was terrible.

Post #487860  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:06 pm 

Argentina were ridiculously one dimensional today. Their only tactic is give it to Messi. The degree to which the other players (except Mascherano) abdicated responsibility was pathetic.

Post #487861  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:32 pm 

dec wrote:
Argentina were ridiculously one dimensional today. Their only tactic is give it to Messi. The degree to which the other players (except Mascherano) abdicated responsibility was pathetic.

Agree with that. It was just the Messi show which is ridiculous - last time I looked football is a team game, even if brilliant individuals sometimes light it up. Maybe Icardi has expressed something similar - if not that, I cannot understand why he was left out of their squad.
Delighted for Iceland picking up a point, a very likeable team and nation.

Post #487862  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:04 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

Agree with that. It was just the Messi show which is ridiculous - last time I looked football is a team game, even if brilliant individuals sometimes light it up. Maybe Icardi has expressed something similar - if not that, I cannot understand why he was left out of their squad.
Delighted for Iceland picking up a point, a very likeable team and nation.

I wouldn't blame Messi for it. I'd put it squarely on the coach and also on some of the players for basically hiding. DiMaria was plain awful. He had lots of space because Messi was drawing in players and then passing it out to him. He never took on the responsibility.

What Iceland are achieving is amazing. Fair play to them.

Post #487863  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm 

Anyone watching the golf? Phil Mickelson ran after his ball and hit it back towards the hole as it was heading off the green. The football equivalent would be to move the goal to prevent a shot going in. Totally mad stuff.

Post #487864  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 am 

dec, it looked to me like Argentina's tactics were 'give the ball to Messi and let him win the game on his own'. Stupid tactics if Messi wasn't at his best, which he clearly wasn't. So I'd say the fault is shared between the coach and Messi. I realise he's a great player, but I don't want Argentina to win it because I don't want Messi to get a World Cup winner's medal. In my view Maradona is football's greatest ever player and Messi hasn't changed that. I don't want Messi to win a World Cup like Maradona did.

Post #487865  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 am 

dec wrote:
Anyone watching the golf? Phil Mickelson ran after his ball and hit it back towards the hole as it was heading off the green. The football equivalent would be to move the goal to prevent a shot going in. Totally mad stuff.

How did he reach it in time, if it was still moving after the initial shot, which from what you say I presume it was?

Post #487866  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:50 am 

Decaf wrote:
In fact, I didn't know that we had signed Torreira until I saw it mentioned here yesterday.

There are strong rumours that Torreira will sign, as there were that Arteta would take over from Wenger so that alone is no guarantee of anything. But as far as I'm aware, he hasn't already joined.

Post #487867  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

How did he reach it in time, if it was still moving after the initial shot, which from what you say I presume it was?

It was a putt, so no problem in chasing the ball. It really was quite amazing and compounded by his post round interview when he admitted that it wasn't just a moment of madness, rather a calculated action to take a two shot penalty rather than face a difficult shot.

Post #487868  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 am 

[quote="TOP GUN"]Jack Wilshere is about to Join palace apparently so there will be much change next year. [/quote]
The Mirror says he'll leave but don't mention Palace as one of his destination options.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... 721052.amp

EDIT: Bugger. The replied to post isn't in yellow. Rog, after the problems I've had in getting back on the forum, my vote is to leave things as they are. It didn't used to happen every time I posted a reply.

Post #487869  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am 

Has anything been said about the VAR over there. If VAR was applied why were Argentina not given a penalty late in the game. The ref thought it was a dive but it clearly was contact with the foot and VAR should have given a pen. There was time to look.

Post #487870  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Has anything been said about the VAR over there. If VAR was applied why were Argentina not given a penalty late in the game. The ref thought it was a dive but it clearly was contact with the foot and VAR should have given a pen. There was time to look.

It's a mess. It isn't applied with any degree of consistency. In Argentina's case I thought the penalty that they got was a dive anyway but that's not the point.

Post #487871  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:14 pm 

Bernard will be settling down with a pint of Liebfraumilch and a few bratwurst cheering on his boys, but I've got the Tequila and tortillas out.

Post #487872  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:25 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard will be settling down with a pint of Liebfraumilch and a few bratwurst cheering on his boys, but I've got the Tequila and tortillas out.

And a picture of Leo Messi pinned to his dartboard by the sounds of it. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #487873  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:36 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

And a picture of Leo Messi pinned to his dartboard by the sounds of it. :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_mrgreen:

And a well deserved goal for Mexico who've been electric so far :53big-emoticons:

Post #487874  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:48 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

And a well deserved goal for Mexico who've been electric so far :53big-emoticons:

That was a great 45 mins of football. Mexico's fast direct attacking is super.

Post #487875  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:58 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

That was a great 45 mins of football. Mexico's fast direct attacking is super.

Absolutely, so brave to leave 3 up front all the time. A coach who has clearly worked on a very good game plan. Nice to see a team who on paper are the weaker team but don’t resort to 11 men behind the ball killing any spectacle and playing for a 0-0. No problem with a defensive game plan but nexico’s Plan to use the 3 speedy attackers on the counter is fantastic. Germany need a central mid to sit a lot closer to the centre backs to cut out the counter

Post #487876  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:02 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Liebfraumilch? Good grief, not in a million years. A riesling Trockenbeerenauslese more like.

Post #487877  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Liebfraumilch? Good grief, not in a million years. A riesling Trockenbeerenauslese more like.

I thought that might draw a reaction out of you Bernard :icon_mrgreen:

Post #487878  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Ah c'mon Bernard. It's only about a fiver a bottle in Lidl :icon_razz:

Post #487879  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:31 pm 

dec wrote:

I presume you mean Liebfraumilch. I wouldn't know, as I don't live near a Lidl.

A much better second half but no equaliser yet and time is slipping by.

Post #487880  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

I presume you mean Liebfraumilch. I wouldn't know, as I don't live near a Lidl.

A much better second half but no equaliser yet and time is slipping by.

Mexico have blown a few great chances to finish it off. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a German equaliser.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12194, 12195, 12196, 12197, 12198, 12199, 12200 ... 14269  Next