Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 96 guests

Post #487761  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 am 

Rich wrote:
Emery seems to like to play the 4-2-3-1 formation, or variants on the 4-3-3. I’ll be interested to see how the players we have work in that set up.

I think Iwobi is a real option as a box-to-box midfielder in a midfield three, hope Emery gives him a shot there if we’re going with that formation. If we sign this Torreira guy, that would give us Xhaka, Ramsey, Torreira, Elneny, Maitland-Niles and Iwobi as options. Should be able to find a couple of working combinations between those six players. A 4-3-3 makes a lot of sense with the players we have, then again so does 4-2-3-1…

Post #487762  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Since the start of last season we have lost ox, coq, Cazorla and maybe Wilshere soon from our central midfield. I expect AMN can be a proper first team addition in there but it still looks like 1/2 signings should be made.
Emery seems to like to play the 4-2-3-1 formation, or variants on the 4-3-3. I’ll be interested to see how the players we have work in that set up. Emery needs to find a permanent position for Mkhitaryan and work out how Aubameyang and Lacazette both play....and Özil....and Ramsey. We’ve got a lot of attacking talent but I’d still like to see a genuine winger with pace, trickery and an eye for goal.

We've already got one. Reiss Nelson.

Post #487763  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, I tuned in to fox News. North Korea is our friend and Canada is our enemy. Okay, got it.

Post #487764  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm 

tomc wrote:
Rich wrote:
Since the start of last season we have lost ox, coq, Cazorla and maybe Wilshere soon from our central midfield. I expect AMN can be a proper first team addition in there but it still looks like 1/2 signings should be made.
Emery seems to like to play the 4-2-3-1 formation, or variants on the 4-3-3. I’ll be interested to see how the players we have work in that set up. Emery needs to find a permanent position for Mkhitaryan and work out how Aubameyang and Lacazette both play....and Özil....and Ramsey. We’ve got a lot of attacking talent but I’d still like to see a genuine winger with pace, trickery and an eye for goal.

Good point. Looking forward to seeing how he develops under Emery.
I think there are lots of players not fulfilling their potential who could go one way or another under Emery, Iwobi, Xhaka, Chambers, Holding, Bellerin

Post #487765  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:21 pm 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/ainsley-signs-new-long-term-contract-2
Excellent News! :53big-emoticons:

Post #487766  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
tomc wrote:

Good point. Looking forward to seeing how he develops under Emery.
I think there are lots of players not fulfilling their potential who could go one way or another under Emery, Iwobi, Xhaka, Chambers, Holding, Bellerin

I think our current bunch of players will thrive with guidance and speciific and detailed instructions. The last maverick we had was Alexis Sanchez.

Post #487767  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 pm 

Lots of rumours in Italy that we're close to an agreement on Torreira, though I have no idea how good the sources are. Would probably not be confirmed before the World Cup anyway which is a shame. Remember when we signed Rosicky in 2006, and in his first game of the World Cup that year he did this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7vH9oZcfDA[/youtube]

Post #487768  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm 

Ornstein is reporting the Torreira deal is imminent. He has a buy out clause of £25m euros, but that’s if it’s all paid in one lump sum. We’ve apparently gone in with £30m euros so we can pay in instalments.

Good to get this done before the World Cup, as a decent tournament for Uruguay and he could add £20m to his price and add plenty more clubs.

It will be interesting to see who’s defensive mid turns out the best/best value?
Man U - Fred £52m
Liverpool - Fabinho £40m
Arsenal - Torreira £26m
City - Jorginho - yet to be done but likely

Post #487769  Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ornstein is reporting the Torreira deal is imminent. He has a buy out clause of £25m euros, but that’s if it’s all paid in one lump sum. We’ve apparently gone in with £30m euros so we can pay in instalments.

Good to get this done before the World Cup, as a decent tournament for Uruguay and he could add £20m to his price and add plenty more clubs.

It will be interesting to see who’s defensive mid turns out the best/best value?
Man U - Fred £52m
Liverpool - Fabinho £40m
Arsenal - Torreira £26m

I heard he’s unlikely to start so I’m guessing he might have a low key tournament. I’m not sure I could tell you I’ve watched even a half of football of any of these guys. Gone are the days of watching that random European round up on channel 4 on a Saturday morning. Anyone else? Isn’t Man U’s guy from shaktar Donetsk?

Post #487770  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:25 am 

Rich wrote:

Man U - Fred £52m
Liverpool - Fabinho £40m
Arsenal - Torreira £26m

What’s clear Rich is that others seem to be signing finished articles where the players we are getting linked with have decent reputations but aren’t acknowledged as finished articles. This is logical and fits in with the reported budgets being published and it’s fine but we will need a few of these players to come good and the signing of Torreira proves Xhaka hasn’t worked out.

Bild is also reporting we are close to signing the German Keeper Leno and if this happens it would take our total spending to around 66 million in transfer fees. I can’t envisage many more players after that coming in unless we sell with Jack, Campbell, Perez and Chambers all muted with moves away. That might generate the 25 million for a wide player that’s desperately required.

Post #487771  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:39 am 

Bild are reporting we're close to signing goalkeeper Bernd Leno. If true, and we get the Torreira deal over the line, that would mean we've taken care of arguably or four most pressing needs in terms of squad strengthening before the World Cup.

Post #487772  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 am 

Just read a write up from a sampdoria fan that suggests that Torreira isn’t the holding midfielder we seek but more of a box to box, high energy, defensive but also bombs forward type. Be interesting to see where we intend on playing him but we seem to be constantly struggling to acquire the midfield shield our defence requires.

Post #487773  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bild are reporting we're close to signing goalkeeper Bernd Leno. If true, and we get the Torreira deal over the line, that would mean we've taken care of arguably or four most pressing needs in terms of squad strengthening before the World Cup.

Sokratis done deal? I was hoping we get the ball-playing french defender Pavard from Stuggart.

Post #487774  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just read a write up from a sampdoria fan that suggests that Torreira isn’t the holding midfielder we seek but more of a box to box, high energy, defensive but also bombs forward type. Be interesting to see where we intend on playing him but we seem to be constantly struggling to acquire the midfield shield our defence requires.

He can hit a free kick and long range shot as well.......and I live in hope that it won't be coached out of him and he can get more on target than Xhaka

Post #487775  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 am 

Goonie wrote:
Sokratis done deal?

Yeah, most sources (including Ornstein) are reporting it's done but won't be announced until July.

Post #487776  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 am 

Goonie wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Sokratis done deal? I was hoping we get the ball-playing french defender Pavard from Stuggart.

Sokratis is widely reported as done but won't be announced until July because Dortmund want to push the deal in to the next football financial year. I think there will be another CB coming as well, which could mean one goes. Mustafi? Or Fulham have a rumoured interest in Chambers. Chambers improved at the end of last season but I haven't seen enough of the raw ingredients to convince me he's good enough for us. I'd take anything over £15m

Post #487777  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am 

I wouldn’t worry about those comments from the Sampdoria fan. Even if Torreira is more of a deep lying playmaker than a defensive midfielders, his stats clearly indicate he’s a good ball winner that will track back. I think he has the most interceptions in Serie A the last two seasons. Don’t think we need a pure destroyer, just someone who is defensively capable to share some of the defensive load with Xhaka. I’m confident our midfielders can work that out between them in a system that puts more emphasis on defensive responsibility.

Post #487778  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

What’s clear Rich is that others seem to be signing finished articles where the players we are getting linked with have decent reputations but aren’t acknowledged as finished articles. This is logical and fits in with the reported budgets being published and it’s fine but we will need a few of these players to come good and the signing of Torreira proves Xhaka hasn’t worked out.

Bild is also reporting we are close to signing the German Keeper Leno and if this happens it would take our total spending to around 66 million in transfer fees. I can’t envisage many more players after that coming in unless we sell with Jack, Campbell, Perez and Chambers all muted with moves away. That might generate the 25 million for a wide player that’s desperately required.

Jack and Campbell are both on a free, would free up some wages though. If we don't bend over backwards to sell our players on the cheap I think we should be able to get £15m+ for perez and chambers. Also we should be looking for at least £10m for Ospina. £40m plus a lot of wages freed up should get a very good player.
Lichtstiener, Sokratis, Torreira, Leno, CB, wide player is a good summer if the budget is to be believed. It would be a summer that looks to have a solid if unspectacular strategy and would be one that has addressed clear problems and holes in the squad. Obviously all that is on paper, it is up to Emery to gel those players and improve the existing ones to make a good summer transfer window turn in to great performances on the pitch.

Post #487779  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I wouldn’t worry about those comments from the Sampdoria fan. Even if Torreira is more of a deep lying playmaker than a defensive midfielders, his stats clearly indicate he’s a good ball winner that will track back. I think he has the most interceptions in Serie A the last two seasons. Don’t think we need a pure destroyer, just someone who is defensively capable to share some of the defensive load with Xhaka. I’m confident our midfielders can work that out between them in a system that puts more emphasis on defensive responsibility.

This is a good point. Now Wengers gone our more direct coaching and instruction should benefit our system

Post #487780  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:26 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Jack and Campbell are both on a free, would free up some wages though. If we don't bend over backwards to sell our players on the cheap I think we should be able to get £15m+ for perez and chambers. Also we should be looking for at least £10m for Ospina. £40m plus a lot of wages freed up should get a very good player.

Surely we should be able to get 15 for Chambers given he’s young and English

Chambers 15 million
Perez 10 million
Ospina. 5million

Plus losing the wages for jack and Campbell. Surely that’s enough to get your winger although we seem to be looking at another Turkish centre half in the bundesliga so it may be a case of selling chambers and replacing with another younger centre half.

Would be great if we can sign Jay Leno as goalkeeper

Post #487781  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am 

I wonder what the plan is with our central defense. There's a lot of talent there but the age mix seems a bit off. Koscielny is probably a write-off for the season. Have to assume Sokratis is bought for one of the starting positions. Mustafi had a poor season, but perhaps the club thinks he can improve under Emery. Holding, Chambers and Mavropanos are all at an age where they’re possibly too young/inexperienced to be counted on as first choice, but they’re old enough to need regular playing time to develop properly. Hard to see all three of them getting enough time.

Most rumours about central defenders apart from Sokratis have circulated around defenders in their early 20s as well.

Post #487782  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 am 

Yassin Fortune departs

Arsenal have released 19-year old French forward Yassin Fortune from the club.
He becomes player number 5 to leave the club this season.

Post #487783  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Surely we should be able to get 15 for Chambers given he’s young and English

Chambers 15 million
Perez 10 million
Ospina. 5million

Plus losing the wages for jack and Campbell. Surely that’s enough to get your winger although we seem to be looking at another Turkish centre half in the bundesliga so it may be a case of selling chambers and replacing with another younger centre half.

Would be great if we can sign Jay Leno as goalkeeper

David Letterman might be a better option. Sounds a bit more like David Seaman.

Meanwhile, Spain... WTF????

Post #487784  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 am 

When I was a boy, Question time used to be on public tv (government) here and I didn't know what they were talking about but found it quite funny. "The right honourable gentlemen..." and I still find it comedy gold
while respecting the seriousness of the topics. Blair was the most humorous PM of the ones I've seen so far.

Post #487785  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 am 

thofman wrote:

Absolutely mental, day before the tournament starts.

Post #487786  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 am 

Hazuki wrote:
thofman wrote:

Apparently, the Spanish FA were only told about the Real Madrid job yesterday just before it was announced. It's classic Madrid to ride roughshod over everyone, even the national team.

Post #487787  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:25 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Apparently, the Spanish FA were only told about the Real Madrid job yesterday just before it was announced. It's classic Madrid to ride roughshod over everyone, even the national team.

Reports saying it's against the players wishes. I get that the Spanish FA are annoyed about the Real Madrid thing, but this sounds like a recipe for disaster for the upcoming tournament. Incredibly short sighted.

Post #487788  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm 

PSG need to sell £60m worth of players before the end of June to comply with financial fair play. Forgot FFP was still a thing. Is there anyone at PSG who Emery fancies bringing with him or is this just dealt with by Real Madrid signing Neymar

Post #487789  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:33 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Reports saying it's against the players wishes. I get that the Spanish FA are annoyed about the Real Madrid thing, but this sounds like a recipe for disaster for the upcoming tournament. Incredibly short sighted.

Hierro looks like a decent solution. Very highly respected figure and the rest of the coaching staff will still have a big input. I won't be surprised if they go on to win it.

Post #487790  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
PSG need to sell £60m worth of players before the end of June to comply with financial fair play. Forgot FFP was still a thing. Is there anyone at PSG who Emery fancies bringing with him or is this just dealt with by Real Madrid signing Neymar

Rabiot.

Post #487791  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm 

Kevin whitcher at the gooner has been saying for months that we are going to sell Özil

This article definitely fuels that fire

https://www.90min.com/posts/6088818-eme ... senal-star

Post #487792  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:18 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rabiot.

Yeah both Rabiot and Mbappeé.

Post #487793  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 pm 

Few reports around now saying a move for Soyuncu, the CB from Freiburg is very close.
We may not have heard of the names but it looks like Arsenal finally have a plan in the transfer window and are making it happen early.

We’ve only got 9 players at the World Cup, plenty of big hitters are at home and should have a ull pre season with Emery.

New season fixtures are out tomorrow, really hope we get an easy start. Crucial for the new manager to get some early winnable games

Post #487794  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 pm 

It won't happen probably but I'd love for us to get Martial.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/13/anthony- ... t-7629271/

Post #487795  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 pm 

Soyuncu seems fairly quick and strong. But its youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZcM08CEyqw&t=120s

Post #487796  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Yes it may be a disaster for this tournament but at some time they need to draw a line and say to RM that they do not run the national team. Long term they are making a point to the Spanish people. By RM disclosing that he was the new RM at this time it would have become just as devisive within the team during the tournament. Any choice of players or dropping of players during the tournament would have been immediately read as favouritism or biased along RM lines. He could have started tapping up players as well.

I hope they do well in the WC just to spite him.

Post #487797  Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kevin whitcher at the gooner has been saying for months that we are going to sell Özil

This article definitely fuels that fire

https://www.90min.com/posts/6088818-eme ... senal-star

I personally have no problems with Ozils efforts for the team. People want to see a Trevor Hockey effort from our players but never demanded it of Walcott, or Wilshire. If he wants to play Ramsay in his place then he needs to be fit for a season and get the same number of assists as Özil currently provides.

But if we do sell him then we must buy a world class star to replace him. A Bergkamp quality signing, not some good player who has never won anything in any other team.

Post #487798  Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Yes it may be a disaster for this tournament but at some time they need to draw a line and say to RM that they do not run the national team.

Yes, and that time would be after the World Cup. Sure, it may not end in disaster, such a good squad of players will always have a chance to win. But it’s a huge risk to take so close to the tournament and seems more like the result of wounded egos than a well thought out move for the greater good.

Post #487799  Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I personally have no problems with Ozils efforts for the team. People want to see a Trevor Hockey effort from our players but never demanded it of Walcott, or Wilshire. If he wants to play Ramsay in his place then he needs to be fit for a season and get the same number of assists as Özil currently provides.

Yeah, would be mental to sell him. He sets us apart from all the clubs we're trying to compete with. None of them have a player like him, and for the first time since he arrived he'll start the season with two class strikers in front of him.

Post #487800  Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am 

City at home first game of the season......

Chelsea away 2nd game of the season!

WTF!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12192, 12193, 12194, 12195, 12196, 12197, 12198 ... 14269  Next