Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 113 guests

Post #487041  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Yes but I think you make the mistake thinking Arteta has to be the complete package , a good right hand man can cover any areas he might be lacking in .

I think this is what we’ll see going forward, no matter who the new manager is. There are some reports in Germany that we’re in advanced talks with Dortmund about their central defender Sokratis, and this is with us not having appointed a new manager. A clear indication that the manager is not expected to be primarily responsible for player recruitment the way Wenger was.

Post #487042  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am 

socrates wrote:
I will have you know that Gazidis contacted me to ask if I was interested in taking the manager's job.

I thought you were supposed to be our new central defender.

Post #487043  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
I will have you know that Gazidis contacted me to ask if I was interested in taking the manager's job.

Player manager. I am the new libero.

Post #487044  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I think this is what we’ll see going forward, no matter who the new manager is. There are some reports in Germany that we’re in advanced talks with Dortmund about their central defender Sokratis, and this is with us not having appointed a new manager. A clear indication that the manager is not expected to be primarily responsible for player recruitment the way Wenger was.

Whether it's true or not the firm impression I'm getting is that Mislintat has a lot of power on the players being signed. Not that surprising if he's head of recruitment. His primary focus does seem to be players he knows from Dortmund, where obviously he came from. On Talksport I heard someone crack a light-hearted jibe that he's trying to turn Arsenal into Dortmund. My guess would be that it was Andy Jacobs, though I'm not sure.

If that is what he's trying to do, I'd prefer him to turn Arsenal into Bayern.

Post #487045  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 am 

socrates wrote:

Seems easy enough. Stay behind Mustafi, if the ball is coming towards him it’ll probably end up with you.

Post #487046  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:31 am 

Just don't see how anybody can have much of an opinion on Arteta. We don't know just like we wouldn't know about the impact of any other manager experienced or otherwise. Mourinho is experienced - also a *%^@ who plays boring football. I thought we WANTED some fun and uncertainty?

By the way he was a much better player than some are suggesting especially at Everton. If he's smart, if Pep's opinion of him is warranted, if he builds a good connection with the fans then it could be a really interesting appointment. We don't know - and that's a factor that's been missing so long that I would be grateful for it.

Post #487047  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 am 

The case againest Arteta outlined perfectly

http://onlinegooner.com/article.php?sec ... v0-y9HTWhA

Won't write him off and he gets my full support but I fear the worst. What if he loses his first 4 games and people start doubting his experience.

Post #487048  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am 

Also I'm not in any way religious but if he did genuinely use charity money that was collected from fines due to be sent to the lung function unit at great ormond street children's hospital to buy his boss a Patek Phillipe then he is a pagan and deserves to go to hell when judgement comes.

Cheers

Post #487049  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am 

Daz wrote:
We don't know - and that's a factor that's been missing so long that I would be grateful for it.

Quite right. And contrary to what many think, I see this as a football decision. If it was just about saving money they wouldn’t have extended Wenger with his huge salary. If it was a pr exercise they could’ve appointed Vieira and gotten ten times the amount of goodwill. I think they have a type of football in mind for the team, and they see Arteta as someone who can execute it. They could've made this a lot easier for themselves, but their job is not to make easy decisions.

Post #487050  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
What if he loses his first 4 games and people start doubting his experience.

That long?

I was definitely in the Wenger Out camp by the end but Arsenal fans really are a bunch of spineless ninnies sometimes who deserve much of the ridicule they receive. Never *%^@*** happy, always with the negative Cuffley whine.

You said it was boring. You wanted him out.

Now get on with enjoying the uncertain times.

Post #487051  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Seems easy enough. Stay behind Mustafi, if the ball is coming towards him it’ll probably end up with you.

Stay true to yourself though and denounce yourself online afterwards.

Post #487052  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Also I'm not in any way religious but if he did genuinely use charity money that was collected from fines due to be sent to the lung function unit at great ormond street children's hospital to buy his boss a Patek Phillipe then he is a pagan and deserves to go to hell when judgement comes.

Cheers

Where/who is this story coming from?

Post #487053  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Yes but I think you make the mistake thinking Arteta has to be the complete package , a good right hand man can cover any areas he might be lacking in .

Actually Haz I reckon Arteta will be a great appointment ..... TG's posting further down , written by the bloke who styles himself the Bard is way off the mark .

" he has no experience " ... matters little in my opinion . All he has to have is a system he wants to play and implement it .

He's seen the set ups at Barcelona , PSG , Rangers , Everton , Arsenal and Man City must know what does and doesn't work .

I read an article today where Guardiola says to Mikel ... "Okay it's your team this week " and let him have the reins for three games in a row .
Arteta stayed back one on one for several hours each day with Sterling to improve his game .

Post #487054  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am 

"Have to say I was very disappointed with myself today. I made Mertesacker look like Usain Bolt. Plus as manager I was completely clueless tactically and got trapped in an endless cycle of futile tippy-happy. Cannot wait for the day I leave the club. Socrates Out."

Post #487055  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:03 am 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Are you faster than the BFG?

Post #487056  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 am 

Daz wrote:
Just don't see how anybody can have much of an opinion on Arteta. We don't know just like we wouldn't know about the impact of any other manager experienced or otherwise. Mourinho is experienced - also a *%^@ who plays boring football. I thought we WANTED some fun and uncertainty?

By the way he was a much better player than some are suggesting especially at Everton. If he's smart, if Pep's opinion of him is warranted, if he builds a good connection with the fans then it could be a really interesting appointment. We don't know - and that's a factor that's been missing so long that I would be grateful for it.

I'd be willing to accept Arteta simply because he's an unknown. Hungry, with a point to prove. Better than a dinosaur like Ancelotti anyway.

Like you, and I'm sure lots of others, I want some fun and uncertainty. Better than groundhog day any time.

(And a little part of me will miss Wenger.)

Post #487057  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Won't write him off and he gets my full support but I fear the worst. What if he loses his first 4 games and people start doubting his experience.

Its a very ill researched piece - on a number of the questions it answers in the negative it doesn't take into account what involvement and responsibilities he actually has in his current role at City.
Experience gained being a number 2 at any club very much depends on the relationship between them and the manager - e.g. Zeljko Buvac is widely lauded as being the tactical brains behind his partnership with Klopp; whereas Bouldy very much had his wings clipped under Wenger.
If you assume he has a large involvement (and yes I know we have no evidence for that) it would be just easy to say we have no evidence that he doesn't have the ability to do a number of the things quoted.

Post #487058  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
What if he loses his first 4 games and people start doubting his experience.

That long?

I was definitely in the Wenger Out camp by the end but Arsenal fans really are a bunch of spineless ninnies sometimes who deserve much of the ridicule they receive. Never *%^@*** happy, always with the negative Cuffley whine.

You said it was boring. You wanted him out.

Now get on with enjoying the uncertain times.

You know what I disagree we aren't a whiny bunch generally but 10 years of Wenger past his best has created an unfair portrayal as the anguish increased. Also social media hasn't helped.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to the new era and plan on taking my kids to a shedload of Arsenal games next season. Also as I said previously if any Arsenal fan is being critical of the next manager be it Arteta or whoever over the next couple of years then that's bang out of order considering the mess Wenger has left. The whole fan base needs to unify and get behind the new regime (who are probably on a hiding to nothing)

All of that said it doesn't make me a less of a fan to have certain doubts about Artetas credentials for the job, which I certainly do.

Post #487059  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Its a very ill researched piece - on a number of the questions it answers in the negative it doesn't take into account what involvement and responsibilities he actually has in his current role at City.
Experience gained being a number 2 at any club very much depends on the relationship between them and the manager - e.g. Zeljko Buvac is widely lauded as being the tactical brains behind his partnership with Klopp; whereas Bouldy very much had his wings clipped under Wenger.
If you assume he has a large involvement (and yes I know we have no evidence for that) it would be just easy to say we have no evidence that he doesn't have the ability to do a number of the things quoted.

I think you have just summed up what the author was trying to get across. In essence it's a blind appointment, there is no evidence to suggest he's good enough for the job or not good enough. It's just blind and selection is based on strength of character. Must be brilliant to work in professional football, just get a stack of money every which way you look regardless of achievement

Post #487060  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am 

Whoever is the new manager, it would be great if he won the first 4 games, but my goodness, what pressure he will put on himself doing so.

I reckon this team is capable of much more that they showed under Wenger; hopefully the new manager will give them some structure and confidence, and also a little bit of fear.

Losing the first 4 games wouldn't be a massive problem for me, IF there was evidence that something new was being tried and there was less tippy tappy and more aggressive directness. Oh and a couple of shots on target from outside the box every 15 mins or so would keep me happy even if results weren't going well.

Post #487061  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:34 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

I think you have just summed up what the author was trying to get across. In essence it's a blind appointment, there is no evidence to suggest he's good enough for the job or not good enough. It's just blind and selection is based on strength of character. Must be brilliant to work in professional football, just get a stack of money every which way you look regardless of achievement

That's a distortion of what I said - I was pointing out that he has just posed the questions and answered them without doing any research.
By saying it is a blind appointment, you are assuming that those making the decision have no more information than we do, which is highly unlikely.
They will have done some due diligence I'm sure, which makes them better placed to make any decision than any of us.
In the past I have said I don't trust the board to appoint the right person to replace Wenger, but having Sven Mislintat & Raul Sanllehi tempers that somewhat.

Post #487062  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:36 am 

tomc wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Cheers

Where/who is this story coming from?

And, for that matter, who is he talking about? Other than that - great post.

Post #487063  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am 

I am very disappointed already. Arteta Out.

Post #487064  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:43 am 

My list to replace Arteta.

Socrates.

Owen Coyle.

Wenger.

Post #487065  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am 

john1 wrote:
Losing the first 4 games wouldn't be a massive problem for me, IF there was evidence that something new was being tried and there was less tippy tappy and more aggressive directness.

Agree with this. Top four is a reasonable target next season, but I will be looking more at how we actually play. If there seems to be better defensive organization, if our attacking football is played with more pace and directness. If we get those things going in the right direction good results will follow.

Post #487066  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 am 

john1 wrote:
socrates wrote:

Are you faster than the BFG?

Or to put it another way: are you a functioning biped?

Post #487067  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:59 am 

Daz wrote:

Socrates.

Owen Coyle.

Wenger.

Yep, Arteta out. Other possible replacements:

Robert from the Go-Betweens.

That thing you use to find a stud in a wall.

Post #487068  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:06 am 

Speaking of which, Daz, I think you asked me ages ago about the Go-Betweens documentary. I've always found the GBs quite irritating, actually, so I don't think I'd cope very well with a 90-minute doco, as they call them in this neck of the woods. Yes, Robert from the Go-Betweens, I've got no idea why your band wasn't more successful, other than the fact that your songs were not very (a) interesting, (b) commercial.

Post #487069  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Speaking of which, Daz, I think you asked me ages ago about the Go-Betweens documentary. I've always found the GBs quite irritating, actually, so I don't think I'd cope very well with a 90-minute doco, as they call them in this neck of the woods. Yes, Robert from the Go-Betweens, I've got no idea why your band wasn't more successful, other than the fact that your songs were not very (a) interesting, (b) commercial.

1. Bachelor Kisses ("don't believe what you've heard, faithful's not a bad word.")

2. The Wrong Road ("handsome is good, pretty is better, what was that phrase, was it grace under pressure?"

3. Lavender. ("Everybody says she's good in bed. Other people say that she's well read")

Yes Robert was/is very pretentious and Lindy a nut job and Grant a narcissist but I don't mind that in a pop group. Saw them loads of time in London in the 80s, they were really great. Not so keen on the oboe period. Liberty Belle is a magnificent album though.

Most importantly they're from Queensland which is kind of my spiritual homeland and where my particular brand of urbane ironic humour is always much appreciated.

Post #487070  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm 

Daz wrote:

Socrates.

Owen Coyle.

Wenger.

Blood, soil and fascism more like. How dare you even think about denying it! You literally make me sick vomit out of my mouth.

Of course the ideal candidate list will be:

Chomsky

Stormzy featuring Cardi B

An advanced consciousness created by fusing the disparate elements of Babu's splintered personality into the dark-haired one out of Bananarama.

Post #487071  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
Of course the ideal candidate list will be:

Stormzy featuring Cardi B

Cultural appropriation and probably transphobic my football team is not your goddam prom dress, you gammon melt and by the way it's YANNY.

Post #487072  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm 

Maybe we're missing an obvious managerial choice here when Arteta finally heeds our calls to spare the club from the disaster he's going to plunge it into.

- Pre-season tour of the Kent hop fields.

- Motivational talk from Ada. "Lawks-a-mercy, Herr Mustafi, have some powdered egg for that positioning problem will ya?"

- Post game wind down with a little bit of Big Bill Broonzy.

- Edgy sarcasm in press conferences to put the MSM, bedwetters, and envious Northern refs in their place.

Only one candidate.

Post #487073  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:20 pm 

Do you reckon Arteta is a suit or a trackie type of manager ? Wonder if he goes all Pep and starts dressing like a hipster

Post #487074  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:32 pm 

Daz wrote:

Socrates.

Owen Coyle.

Wenger.

Patek Phillippe.

Post #487075  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:43 pm 

It's Gazidis' club now. I mean in terms of local control. Josh doesnt know football. Maybe the reason why Arteta is being seriously considered is because Gazidis doesnt want another big name manager to have the same power and control that Wenger has.

Just a thought.

Post #487076  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 pm 

thofman wrote:
Daz wrote:

Socrates.

Owen Coyle.

Wenger.

Patek Phillippe.

Meghan Markle's Dad.

Laurel.

Yanny.

Post #487077  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 pm 

My list to replace Arteta based mainly on imagining their post match interview.
Zippy from Rainbow
Snoop Doggy Dog

Post #487078  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:44 pm 

Daz wrote:

Socrates.

Owen Coyle.

Wenger.

Well let's see....

Pharrel Williams

Ricky Gervais

Jay Kay

:angel8:

Post #487079  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm 

Lacazette not in the French squad for the World Cup. There is a lot of competition for him sadly. Griezman, mbappe, Giroud, lemar, Dembele, fekir.

His direct competition would be griezman and mbappe. Giroud offers the plan b, Dembele and lemar play wider. Martial hasn’t made it.

Surprisingly Rabiot from PSG hasn’t made it. Rate him highly. Nzonzi has probably taken his place - a very under rated player. Would love both at arsenal. Actually I’d take pretty much any of this French squad and their first 10 reserves at arsenal.

The talent stream both they and the Germans have is amazing.

Post #487080  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 pm 

Reiss Nelson is the premier league 2 player of the year.

Also England U17 were knocked out of the euros on penalties, 5 arsenal players involved. Ameachi has been one of the star players but he was suspended for this game.

Plenty of English talent in the younger age groups at Arsenal.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12174, 12175, 12176, 12177, 12178, 12179, 12180 ... 14269  Next