Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 94 guests

Post #487001  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Champions League game - in your dreams.

Not if you bring the right guy in.

Who is your number one preferance.

I would like Ancelotti to just see how the players responded with a manager who has been around a bit. I am concerned that Arteta will not be respected by the team. Ideally Ancelotti for a season with Arteta as his side kick with a view to taking control after that season.

Post #487002  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:13 am 

Just saw this online. A new candidate is emerging for the managers job. A name you all know. Experience in the EPL.
http://the4thofficial.net/2018/05/evert ... lacements/

Yep Everton may sack Allardyce. I put Arteta just ahead of him. Sam will never buy a watch for Ivan.

Post #487003  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not if you bring the right guy in.

Who is your number one preferance.

I would like Ancelotti to just see how the players responded with a manager who has been around a bit. I am concerned that Arteta will not be respected by the team. Ideally Ancelotti for a season with Arteta as his side kick with a view to taking control after that season.

My preference would be Allegri, Ancelotti, Enrique, Vieira, Henry, Howe, Arteta in that order

Post #487004  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 am 

The only thing I'd say about Ancelotti is that I'd rather have him than Arteta. He wouldn't be in second place for me, or anywhere near it. Pochetinno I'd have way above Arteta, and obviously Simeone. Low also. Jardim too.

Post #487005  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 am 

The new transfer season opens tomorrow, will we have a new manager in place by then and will it be Arteta?
Who knows if he will be any good or not it's always a gamble for anyone that comes in at Arsenal or anywhere else for that matter.
LTG reminded me of Bertie Mee who had no managerial experience and very little footballl experience but he gave me some of my best moments as an Arsenal supporter.
Good luck Mikel if you are to be our next number1.

Post #487006  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 am 

I really wouldn't want Henry. I think Arteta may be a better bet than him.

Post #487007  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 am 

Niall wrote:

Why? What makes you say that. Henry has been coaching for the same length of time and greater if you consider youth level coaching he did at Arsenal. He has a longer association with the club not to mention being our greatest goalscorer of all time. Not to mention the unity he would bring our fan base. If you are ignoring all that and choosing Arteta instead of Henry it's likely on the basis of skin colour

Post #487008  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 am 

goonerguru wrote:
The new transfer season opens tomorrow, will we have a new manager in place by then and will it be Arteta?

The implication from this is that it won't make much difference to transfers if Arteta is in post.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/16/arsenal-b ... u-7549269/

Post #487009  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

Why? What makes you say that. Henry has been coaching for the same length of time and greater if you consider youth level coaching he did at Arsenal. He has a longer association with the club not to mention being our greatest goalscorer of all time. Not to mention the unity he would bring our fan base. If you are ignoring all that and choosing Arteta instead of Henry it's likely on the basis of skin colour

More to do with the hand of god I would think.

Post #487010  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
If you are ignoring all that and choosing Arteta instead of Henry it's likely on the basis of skin colour

It really seems you're trying to break your own record for stupidity these last few days. You haven't got the first clue about what Arteta or Henry would be like as managers. And you haven't got a clue what they are like as assistant managers. None of us do. It's not ridiculous at all to believe that one would be better than the other based on any number of criteria that are basically nothing more than educated guesses.

Post #487011  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 am 

Yeah okay big guy. Let's break your argument down then. According to you Henry would be a better choice as manager because:

He has a longer and much richer history with Arsenal as a player. Which has zero to do with his ability to manage the club.

He would unite our fanbase. Which, again, has nothing to do with his ability to manage the club.

So the only thing we're left with is the fact that Henry has been coaching for roughly the same amount of time as Arteta, or perhaps longer if you count youth level coaching at Arsenal.

Niall is clearly more than a little racist for not completely surrendering to such a stellar f*&king case. Well put together.

Post #487012  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm 

goonerguru wrote:
LTG reminded me of Bertie Mee who had no managerial experience and very little footballl experience but he gave me some of my best moments as an Arsenal supporter.

It's lovely sentiment and they appointed him after he was physio in 66. Therefore Colin Lewin should be our new manager. Whadya mean you think it's a bad idea ! We did it in 1966!!

Post #487013  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 pm 

Every one of us on here wanted change. We're getting it. Now some of you are practically asking for a bloke's head and he hasn't even been appointed yet.

He wouldn't be my first choice either by a long way but if it is Arteta we need to get behind the bloke instead of waiting for him to fail.

Post #487014  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

If you are ignoring all that and choosing Arteta instead of Henry it's likely on the basis of skin colour

I know it's difficult for you, but try not to be an absolute tube.

Post #487015  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:32 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:laughing7:

Sorry only having a wind up

Post #487016  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Your an idiot. It's such a shame your mother didn’t swallow you instead.

Yeah okay big guy. Let's break your argument down then. According to you Henry would be a better choice as manager because:

He has a longer and much richer history with Arsenal as a player. Which has zero to do with his ability to manage the club.

He would unite our fanbase. Which, again, has nothing to do with his ability to manage the club.

So the only thing we're left with is the fact that Henry has been coaching for roughly the same amount of time as Arteta, or perhaps longer if you count youth level coaching at Arsenal.

Niall is clearly more than a little racist for not completely surrendering to such a stellar *%^@*** case. Well put together.

Thank you Haz.

Clearly TG is waaay too high up on the scale of stupidity to bother arguing the toss with.

Personally, I don't think Henry has the personality required to be the manager. I admit I have no special insight into his coaching ability, my perception of him based on his punditry on Sky is I find him incredibly tedious and just a tad boring. Plus he is a little bit ego-centric in the past and made a few comments recently that annoyed some of the players. Great player, I just can't see him as a great manager.

Nothing to do with the "hand of frog" Dafatone. :icon_smile11:

Post #487017  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:35 pm 

tomc wrote:
Every one of us on here wanted change. We're getting it. Now some of you are practically asking for a bloke's head and he hasn't even been appointed yet.

He wouldn't be my first choice either by a long way but if it is Arteta we need to get behind the bloke instead of waiting for him to fail.

As I said previously he has 100% of my support and sympathy and I don't want him to fail.

I just don't understand why we picked him and think that if he collected all those fines that were due to go to Great Ormond Street and bought his boss an expensive watch instead then he's a lizard pagan.

Post #487018  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

:laughing7:

Sorry only having a wind up

Apology accepted. I don't mind and enjoy a wind up but hey, racist is a bit OTT.

Post #487019  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 pm 

tomc wrote:

I think Arseblog posted about it well this morning. It's understandable people are underwhelmed, point out his lack of experience and are not happy with the choice of Arteta and want to express that. I find it highly underwhelming myself. However, like you say if he gets it, I'll be right behind him and give him an opportunity. I'm going to take a wild guess that within football his reputation must be slightly higher than fans on the outside are currently aware of. :icon_smile11:

Post #487020  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm 

Niall wrote:
tomc wrote:

I think Arseblog posted about it well this morning. It's understandable people are underwhelmed, point out his lack of experience and are not happy with the choice of Arteta and want to express that. I find it highly underwhelming myself. However, like you say if he gets it, I'll be right behind him and give him an opportunity. I'm going to take a wild guess that within football his reputation must be slightly higher than fans on the outside are currently aware of. :icon_smile11:

Agree with all of that. It's a mixture of being underwhelmed and surprised and the whole point of the forum is to debate club decisions or direction based on what we think. The bare minimum I'd expect is that they appoint someone who will do a better job than Wenger. If they think that's Arteta then fine and I think most will go into the season with low to neatral expectations (based on our own assessments) and be pleasantly surprised if it goes well. However if it doesn't go well then there will be a fair bit of confirmation bias well established and things could turn ugly again very quickly. I'm looking forward to watching it all regardless and am excited about watching Arsenal again.

Post #487021  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Niall wrote:

Agree with all of that. It's a mixture of being underwhelmed and surprised and the whole point of the forum is to debate club decisions or direction based on what we think. The bare minimum I'd expect is that they appoint someone who will do a better job than Wenger. If they think that's Arteta then fine and I think most will go into the season with low to neatral expectations (based on our own assessments) and be pleasantly surprised if it goes well. However if it doesn't go well then there will be a fair bit of confirmation bias well established and things could turn ugly again very quickly. I'm looking forward to watching it all regardless and am excited about watching Arsenal again.

If it does go belly up Gazidis has got nowhere to hide. The Wenger shield has gone.

Post #487022  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:52 pm 

For the record, Henry coached in the academy whilst he did his badges, which is exactly the same thing that Arteta did; only difference being that It was publicly reported that Andries Jonker offered Thierry a job - something that was then revoked by Wenger, when the structure of the academy changed.

Post #487023  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:06 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Vince Ordinaire wrote:

So we're just saying anything now?

Well I'm not sure what you are saying ........ I'm saying I think Vieira might be too much his own man for our board to handle .

Yeah I got that thanks Kiwi, it was more the Clough/Redknapp comparison that caught my attention like a rabid ferret dropped in the bathwater.

I too would be more excited by Vieira, though I wouldn't draw the same conclusion you have from him (presumably) not getting the job. Plus as Hazuku pointed out, that Sky sports piece about him feeling miffed is the sort of lazy excuse for journalism that would be considered shocking in a world with any kind of professional standards.

What does encourage me about Arteta - aside from it being change at last, an interesting choice, and the fact that characters as unlikely as mild-mannered physio Bertie Mee and obnoxious interpreter Jose Mourinho have become such successful managers - is that he was the personal choice of Pep Guardiola to be his number two at City.

Much as I love him, I am not so impressed by Henry being the personal choice of Roberto Martinez.

Post #487024  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:47 pm 

Niall wrote:
Personally, I don't think Henry has the personality required to be the manager.

I'd make exactly the same point about Arteta, Niall. You call Henry tedious. Ye Gods, if Henry is tedious I'd say Arteta is extreme boredom x 10. But more important than that, I think the club needs a manager who will go in and 'kick arse' to rid the squad of the complacency that often seems to strangle our performances. From what I've seen of Arteta, that isn't him.

He appears intelligent, which is a positive. But also too reserved, introverted, quiet and a bit of a risk avoider for what I think we now need. For that reason I'd say Arteta is at the wrong place at the wrong time for the current Arsenal. At a worst case scenario I think we could even be moving from the Wenger frying pan into the Ar,teta fire.

Post #487025  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm 

Quite a clear out of Wenger's back room team. So far I've seen Primoric, Banfield, Colbert, Peyton, Bibbo, Lewin, Johnson and through retirement Akers reported as going. From the youth set'up it looks a fairly safe bet that Gatting and Laraman will soon be looking for work.

Post #487026  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 pm 

So Jack misses out on World Cup week. Not that I care too much but he’s played a lot this season and he’s played pretty well, so I don’t see either as a reason for his omission. I’m actually quite pleased that he can have a proper break – sounds like Lacazette, PEA, Ramsey and a few others will be similarly rested. I rather hope they’ll all still be with us so they can hit the ground running for the new coach.

Back to Jack though, that moment against Burnley when he dropped a shoulder, beat his opponent and surged forward to set up a goal - that’s just the sort of skill that’s needed to lift a pretty pedestrian England mf.

Jack’s one of the few players around who can keep the ball moving, can beat a man in mf and can spot a killer pass; I think England are daft not to take him. I also think we’ll miss him if he goes.

Post #487027  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:14 pm 

Agree completely about Wilshere and England. Fair enough if Southgate didn't plan to start him after all the injury problems he's had. But after a healthy season where he's put in some fine performances surely there must be room for him in the 23 man squad? The players that were selected are not bad by any means, but very few of them brings the ability to do something unexpected to the table.

Post #487028  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm 

Ray Wilson RIP happy memories of you holding the World Cup trophy in '66.

Post #487029  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:07 pm 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Well I'm not sure what you are saying ........ I'm saying I think Vieira might be too much his own man for our board to handle .

Yeah I got that thanks Kiwi, it was more the Clough/Redknapp comparison that caught my attention like a rabid ferret dropped in the bathwater.
What does encourage me about Arteta - aside from it being change at last, an interesting choice, and the fact that characters as unlikely as mild-mannered physio Bertie Mee and obnoxious interpreter Jose Mourinho have become such successful managers - is that he was the personal choice of Pep Guardiola to be his number two at City.

Much as I love him, I am not so impressed by Henry being the personal choice of Roberto Martinez.

Vince ...... I can't see why Clough / Redknapp produced the 'wolverine in the tub '.... at the time Clough was punching well above his weight in the league , and Harry's Spurs WERE playing excellent football .

Agree on Arteta ... if the watch story is true it is a bit of a kiss arse which I don't agree with .....but shows as manager with even more power he wont worry about ruffling a few feathers and let's face it there are a few that need a large rocket up their backside to produce better results.

I'm not keen on Thierry because the few times I've seen him on the Sky Pundits show , he hogs the limelight , rabbits on far too long .... get your point across then shut up .

Post #487030  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:
Personally, I don't think Henry has the personality required to be the manager.

I'd make exactly the same point about Arteta, Niall. You call Henry tedious. Ye Gods, if Henry is tedious I'd say Arteta is extreme boredom x 10. But more important than that, I think the club needs a manager who will go in and 'kick arse' to rid the squad of the complacency that often seems to strangle our performances. From what I've seen of Arteta, that isn't him.

He appears intelligent, which is a positive. But also too reserved, introverted, quiet and a bit of a risk avoider for what I think we now need. For that reason I'd say Arteta is at the wrong place at the wrong time for the current Arsenal. At a worst case scenario I think we could even be moving from the Wenger frying pan into the Ar,teta fire.

Yes but I think you make the mistake thinking Arteta has to be the complete package , a good right hand man can cover any areas he might be lacking in .

Talking of tedium ....watching the Europa final ..... Mama Mia the co commentator providing riveting insights is none other than that dribbling d***stop from the Anfield '89 ....... David Pleat .

Second point ....why do morons let off flares ...you can hardly see the players or the pitch now . Can't do your lungs a hell of lot of good either .

Post #487031  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Quite a clear out of Wenger's back room team. So far I've seen Primoric, Banfield, Colbert, Peyton, Bibbo, Lewin, Johnson and through retirement Akers reported as going. From the youth set'up it looks a fairly safe bet that Gatting and Laraman will soon be looking for work.

But not HoddGooner :22encouragement: :toothy9:

Post #487032  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm 

The Guardian's view on each Premier League team's best player this season. I agree with them about Arsenal's. He had some poor games but Monreal gets my vote as our player of the season.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/wh ... ubs-season

Post #487033  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 am 

If wondering about what kind of playing philosophy Arteta might have there are some interesting quotes here...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cybrown/20 ... 8893ce285c

Post #487034  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If the truth's known you probably don't even work there you poser , probably sort out the brass , copper and ali from the ferrous metals down at the local breakers yard .... and make the teas .

All this shady 'Martin Bormann' stuff behind the scenes , Socrates comes up with more scoops than you . :toothy9:

Post #487035  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:49 am 

Atletico gets the cup we could have won if we hadn't have messed it up in the first leg.
Anyway, a new era is upon us. I don't care who is going to be the manager (fat Sam excepted). Its not Wenger and very few people saw that coming.

We will probably mess up the process of finding a manger. Not coordinate the window with a new manger, etc but its a change and even if it gets worse before it gets better, I'll still take that instead of Wenger.

Post #487036  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:38 am 

Since we’ve moved to the emirates there are two clear eras, the first when the budget was restricted and we made an estimated £40m profit in transfers from 2006-2013. The second when the shackles were released and we’ve spent £200m net between 2014-2018.

So even in the ‘spending years’ we’re hitting a transfer budget of roughly £50m per season. In the frugal years the budget was more like minus £7m per season.

What I never understand is right now we are hearing talk of a restricted budget of £50m for new players. I can see that because we don’t have CL football and that we’ve invested quite heavily (badly) in the last few years why we might have to watch the pennies but how with our vast resources even having to pay off the stadium are we so far behind thee net spend of so many prem clubs? I’m ignoring city, Chelsea, Man U. And I’m not even thinking that much about Liverpool and spurs. I’m looking at clubs like stoke, palace etc.

We’ve potentially ‘lost’ allegri because he wants too much of a transfer budget and too much pay. The pay part is ridiculous as that would be the equivalent of a couple of million per season which to get a manager of that ilk is worth paying.

I’m glad the wenger years are over but I’m so fed up with the club being so obviously reluctant to put their hand in their pocket. How can a club like Everton drop £150m in a single window and not have to worry about financial fair play whilst we scrabble around trying to make a profit each window?

Post #487037  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes but I think you make the mistake thinking Arteta has to be the complete package , a good right hand man can cover any areas he might be lacking in .

Didn't mean to give that impression. But anyway, couldn't one offer your argument for anyone, maybe apart from Wenger? Including Henry, who I was responding to Niall's comments on?

Post #487038  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 am 

Bernard wrote:
The Guardian's view on each Premier League team's best player this season. I agree with them about Arsenal's. He had some poor games but Monreal gets my vote as our player of the season.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/wh ... ubs-season

Says something about the season we had, because I don’t think Monreal was particularly great but I struggle to think of someone who had a better season.

Post #487039  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

I can't believe I've made all those posts in an attempt to educate the masses and quite clearly I've clearly failed miserably. :laughing7:

Hardly suprising no one reads them ..... :laughing7:

Who rattled your mobility scooter.

I will have you know that Gazidis contacted me to ask if I was interested in taking the manager's job. He said he and the board had been reading my posts on here for years and it was quite clear that if I took the job I would win the quadruple in my first season. :laughing7:

Post #487040  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 am 

:1laughter:
kiwipete wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

If the truth's known you probably don't even work there you poser , probably sort out the brass , copper and ali from the ferrous metals down at the local breakers yard .... and make the teas .

All this shady 'Martin Bormann' stuff behind the scenes , Socrates comes up with more scoops than you . :toothy9:

:1laughter: :53big-emoticons:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12173, 12174, 12175, 12176, 12177, 12178, 12179 ... 14269  Next