Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 93 guests

Post #486961  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:21 pm 

Tuchel appointed PSG's manager? Unai Emery is available - the man to win us the Europa League.

Post #486962  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm 

Arteta would certainly be a very brave choice considering the stakes are high and yet experience is zero. I wonder what is it about him that has made him such a strong candidate with the board? They must have seen something very compelling in him when he was at Arsenal. It must be more than he's an easy going, relatively cheap punt. Had to watch the spelling in that last sentence.

Post #486963  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 pm 

He was headhunted by Guardiola, but I thought that was just because of his Spanish and premier league experience to help Pep adjust well. If he had some aptitude and he’s spent two years in that winning set up he will certainly being something. But really it’s a complete unknown and I agree that it’s such a strange choice. Under Pep, Arteta made a lot of sense as a number two, but to have no “number one” experience in this set up - which is fledgling at best - it seems a bizarre choice and, as much as we can’t know how anything will turn out, the wrong one.

Post #486964  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:48 pm 

Bored wrote:
Arteta would certainly be a very brave choice considering the stakes are high and yet experience is zero. I wonder what is it about him that has made him such a strong candidate with the board? They must have seen something very compelling in him when he was at Arsenal. It must be more than he's an easy going, relatively cheap punt. Had to watch the spelling in that last sentence.

The biggest question that cant be answered yet is if he can do a better job than Wenger? Surely that's the whole point in replacing him. Anything less and it will represent a very high stakes gamble.
Especially if the stadium starts to empty again. Apparently Kroenke has made this gamble before with the LA Rams I think.

Edit. Sean Mcvay at 32 . http://wanw.espnfc.com.au/arsenal/story ... er-sources

Post #486965  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bored wrote:

The biggest question that cant be answered yet is if he can do a better job than Wenger? Surely that's the whole point in replacing him. Anything less and it will represent a very high stakes gamble.
Especially if the stadium starts to empty again. Apparently Kroenke has made this gamble before with the LA Rams I think.

No, that's not the whole point. I could do a better job than Wenger. The point is, we need some credibility and substance. Arteta won't give us that.

Post #486966  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:36 pm 

Abu wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

No, that's not the whole point. I could do a better job than Wenger. The point is, we need some credibility and substance. Arteta won't give us that.

He must be staggered, his first job in management is at Arsenal. He doesn’t even need a lower starting point.

Actually he must be wanking himself stupid as he’s just traded up a coaches salary for wengers 8-10 million a year.

Post #486967  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm 

Also I do think the age and experience thing is key. This is also why Nagelsmann or whatever won’t be a great appointment because he’s 30. I’ve spots older than that and it’s one thing managing Hoffenheim but arsenal is quite a different proposition.

When the team are getting smashed and losing their marbles in a champions league game who is the wise old head to bring them
Together and compose them.

It’s just a baffling appointment on so many levels

Post #486968  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:45 pm 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ormer-club

----------------

What exactly are we playing at?, incompetent board and disinterested owner, the whole lot need to be hounded out.

Post #486969  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 pm 

Has any major european club in recent times ever given the manager's job to an ex player (not even a legendary ex player) with no managerial experience at all?

Before anyone quotes Zidane or Guardiola I think its fair to say that Real and Barca are elite clubs who can and do play by different rules.

It may be brave or it may be reckless. I'm intrigued yet fearful at the same time. If it happens this is either a masterstroke or something that could turn very sour very quickly. I think he would be well supported at first but the slightest hint that be is out of his depth and the natives will be restless.

United didn't give the job to Giggs despite him being a legend who the crowd adore because they know that it was just too much of a gamble.

Years ago Liverpool made Dalglish player manager but lets be fair his backroom staff were phenomenal and the footballing landscape was entirely different.

Post #486970  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:40 pm 

DHD wrote:

Arteta’s credibility and his authority as a manager isn’t helped by the fact that he never played for his country. In a dressing-room full of internationals, that hardly empowers him.

Also, in a long playing career, he never won much either – an Inter-Toto with PSG, an FA Cup with us and a couple of baubels in Scotland. It’s a lot more than I’ve ever won, but hardly the most impressive trophy cabinet in the circles he now moves in.

Please pardon the conceit of responding to my own post.

Patrick Vieira - 41 years old:

3 Prems, 4 FA Cups, 4 Seria A, 2 Italian Cup, 1 EUFA Euro, 1 FIFA World Cup, 1 FIFA Confederations Cup and 107 caps.

2011 - 2015 Youth Development, Football Development, Elite Squad Development and Reserve Team Manager at Man City. 2015 - 2018 Manager of NY City.

Doesn’t mean much if yer face doesn’t fit.

Post #486971  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:52 pm 

DHD wrote:
DHD wrote:

Arteta’s credibility and his authority as a manager isn’t helped by the fact that he never played for his country. In a dressing-room full of internationals, that hardly empowers him.

Also, in a long playing career, he never won much either – an Inter-Toto with PSG, an FA Cup with us and a couple of baubels in Scotland. It’s a lot more than I’ve ever won, but hardly the most impressive trophy cabinet in the circles he now moves in.

3 Prems, 4 FA Cups, 4 Seria A, 2 Italian Cup, 1 EUFA Euro, 1 FIFA World Cup, 1 FIFA Confederations Cup and 107 caps.

2011 - 2015 Youth Development, Football Development, Elite Squad Development and Reserve Team Manager at Man City. 2015 - 2018 Manager of NY City.

Or How about a London based Italian manager who wants the job and is the only manager to have won the UEFA Champions League three times and reached four finals (three finals and two victories with Milan, and one victory with Real Madrid).

Whilst not my favourite surely more logical than the qualification of having great hair.

Post #486972  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Or How about a London based Italian manager who wants the job and is the only manager to have won the UEFA Champions League three times and reached four finals (three finals and two victories with Milan, and one victory with Real Madrid).

Whilst not my favourite surely more logical than the qualification of having great hair.

Just read a story that someone at Napoli revealed Ancelotti has a pre-contract agreement with Arsenal and is waiting on the club rejecting alternatives.

Guess we cam rule Vieira out now. Allegri looks less likely at the minute. Enrique can't see it. Which leaves Arteta with Santi Cazorla possibly as number 2.

Some nice links though on players
Leno, Seri. Papastopolas, Under from Roma and the Turk from Firebug.

Post #486973  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 pm 

The impending Arteta appointment seems to reek of penny pinching again by the club. Far lower salary than any established coach, also won’t make huge demands on transfer budget because he’s just happy to have the job.

Allegri is perfect for us and we are going to let him slip through our hands.

Post #486974  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
The impending Arteta appointment seems to reek of penny pinching again by the club. Far lower salary than any established coach, also won’t make huge demands on transfer budget because he’s just happy to have the job.

Allegri is perfect for us and we are going to let him slip through our hands.

Allegri's football is quite dull to watch, I don't think he's going to get it.

Post #486975  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:57 pm 

I don't think style of football is coming into the equation at all. It's just a case of who can we get and how much will they cost. If the only thing they have done is phone Patrick Vieira rather than conduct a face to face interview that tells you something.

Tell you one thing, if I was Henry or Vieira I'd be on the phone to the society of black lawyers :laughing7: They must be wondering how on earth Arteta gets picked ahead of their experience and history with the club.

Post #486976  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Arteta and Alonso, first team
Freddie u23s it seems
Mertesacker youth academy.

Not much experience there

Feels like going back in time. Billy Wright was manager when I first started going and he had about as much experience as that.

Post #486977  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I don't think style of football is coming into the equation at all. It's just a case of who can we get and how much will they cost. If the only thing they have done is phone Patrick Vieira rather than conduct a face to face interview that tells you something.

Tell you one thing, if I was Henry or Vieira I'd be on the phone to the society of black lawyers :laughing7: They must be wondering how on earth Arteta gets picked ahead of their experience and history with the club.

I think they are all factors. Money, style of football and politics.

Post #486978  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 pm 

If this is about saving money, then why did they extend Wenger's contract that many times? At least the last two times there was really no pressure to do it, and the very last time I would even say a majority of Arsenal fans didn't want his contract extended. They could've easily gone with a cheaper option in 2014 and certainly in 2017.

We've recruited some people with very impressive resumés in the last year. Is it really completely out of the realm of possibility that they have a particular manager profile or particular football philosophy that they're aiming for?

Post #486979  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:

----------------

What exactly are we playing at?, incompetent board and disinterested owner, the whole lot need to be hounded out.

'Sky sources' say that Vieira 'felt' like a phone call from Arsenal was just a token gesture. That's some next level journalism right there. I agree with you about hounding out the entire board for that one.

Post #486980  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm 

And why are people talking about Allegri as if we could've easily had him but chose not to even try? Maybe he just prefers a club that won its seventh consecutive league title and were knocked out of the Champions League in the quarter finals against Real Madrid with a debatale 98th minute penalty. Think most would see Arsenal as a step down from that.

Post #486981  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Arteta and Alonso, first team
Freddie u23s it seems
Mertesacker youth academy.

Not much experience there

Feels like going back in time. Billy Wright was manager when I first started going and he had about as much experience as that.

Can you remind us how that appointment went LTG?

Post #486982  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
And why are people talking about Allegri as if we could've easily had him but chose not to even try? Maybe he just prefers a club that won its seventh consecutive league title and were knocked out of the Champions League in the quarter finals against Real Madrid with a debatale 98th minute penalty. Think most would see Arsenal as a step down from that.

I think he is interested in the job. Smoke and fire and all that. He was my first pick too when the news broke about Arsene.

Reading between the lines I think a couple of factors work against him.

Money. He will cost a big contact but more importantly he seems to think he needs £200m. If this is true then I just can't see Arsenal handing any new manager that amount of money.

Politics - the new guys are cementing their positions and have likely even overruled Wenger in the past few months. They will not want to give up this structure so soon after seeing Wenger out. Again by all accounts, Allegri wants more control over transfers that the new system allows. If true then I can't see him being appointed.

Style of football - Wenger talked about our values and although some pine for the Graham years, our values now are entertaining, attacking football that excites the crowd and attracts fans to the stadium. That has obviously not been the case recently. Allegri seems to play a defensive game not unlike Mourinho. I honestly can't see us changing to this style of football and this is where Arteta likely has an edge with the board despite his inexperience.

Post #486983  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Still mystifying that Arteta is considered a better prospect than Vieira. Half the current lot would be sh1%%&ng their pants with Vieira's shadow looming from the sidelines and he was the last one to take the team to a league title so knows what it takes. Arteta, hmm less so.

Time will tell I guess.

Parallels can be drawn from the England job . Brian Clough was far and away the best manager in the league when the England job became vacant but he was too brash and outspoken so they opted for the quiet establishment figure of Ron Greenwood .

Harry Redknapp the same , who did they get ....? another colourless dude in Roy Hodgson [ was it can't remember ]

Post #486984  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:46 pm 

Niall wrote:

Style of football - Wenger talked about our values and although some pine for the Graham years, our values now are entertaining, attacking football that excites the crowd and attracts fans to the stadium. That has obviously not been the case recently.

:laughing7: :icon_scratch: Niall ..... you'll have to walk me through this one slowly ..... IF " Wenger talked about our values , entertaining football that excites the crowd and attracts the fans to the stadium "

........... why on earth did he do the polar opposite

Post #486985  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:53 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:

Style of football - Wenger talked about our values and although some pine for the Graham years, our values now are entertaining, attacking football that excites the crowd and attracts fans to the stadium. That has obviously not been the case recently.

:laughing7: :icon_scratch: Niall ..... you'll have to walk me through this one slowly ..... IF " Wenger talked about our values , entertaining football that excites the crowd and attracts the fans to the stadium "

........... why on earth did he do the polar opposite

I know it went that way and I think that is what did for him when the football became dull and the crowd apathetic and finally absent in large numbers.

However over his tenure we were for the most time seen as an attractive side that tries to play and win while entertaining the crowd. Not a defensive dour outfit a la Mourinho.

I think these values will remain important and it's why I think (and of course I could be totally wrong) that Allegri's style of football will not be the route the board will travel. Alongside the other two points.

Post #486986  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 pm 

DHD wrote:
Can’t say I’m too enthused by Arteta. At the outset I should say that I never really rated him as a player and I never saw him as a particularly inspirational or motivating captain. As I’ve said, I can’t see he’s picked up the required skills in the 2 years since he left us and I don’t think he’s given himself the time sufficiently to change his status from teammate to boss. How are those with whom he played likely to respond to a bollocking from such an inexperienced ex-teammate?

Whilst he left us 2 years ago, he'd hardly played in his final 2 years with us when he was effectively a non-playing Club Captain – a bit like Per has been. When he did play in those last couple of seasons, his legs had so clearly gone that he was arguably the slowest thing I’ve seen in an Arsenal shirt. Latterly, his major contribution was to pick up cards, which was his only response as the opposition increasingly sought to exploit his obvious weakness. Like many in our set-up over the last few years, he was indulged by being kept on for at least 2 seasons longer than he should have been. That doesn’t bode well when we’re looking for a new broom.

On the other hand, we are looking at a top-to-bottom reorganisation of the Club's management, coaching and scouting structures so I have to be hopeful that a new approach will show improvements - not least to tactics and attitude - when compared to the last few years. However on the single issue of Arteta's appointment, I'm afraid I'm distinctly underwhelmed. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Greetings DHD ...all this really has no bearing on Arteta being a good manager . Harry Hopman Australia's greatest tennis manager was a Joe average player and alternately Graham Souness was a great player and excellent captain for Liverpool but a disaster as a manager .
...but what I can't get my head around is how Arteta even appeared on the radar ..... he's inside a little warm cocoon

Second in charge at a team who can spend obscene amounts of money to buy success , they really can't fail .

If he'd been out in the open .... a roaring success at Lincoln City say : I could understand the appointment

Post #486987  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 pm 

socrates wrote:
warrior wrote:
Here are our top 25 posters.

Attachment:
Top Posters.jpg

I can't believe I've made all those posts in an attempt to educate the masses and quite clearly I've clearly failed miserably. :laughing7:

Hardly suprising no one reads them ..... :laughing7:

Post #486988  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Brian Clough was far and away the best manager in the league...
Harry Redknapp the same...

So we're just saying anything now?

Post #486989  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Also I do think the age and experience thing is key. This is also why Nagelsmann or whatever won’t be a great appointment because he’s 30. I’ve spots older than that and it’s one thing managing Hoffenheim but arsenal is quite a different proposition.

When the team are getting smashed and losing their marbles in a champions league game who is the wise old head to bring them

Champions League game - in your dreams.

Post #486990  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:06 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Brian Clough was far and away the best manager in the league...
Harry Redknapp the same...

So we're just saying anything now?

Well I'm not sure what you are saying ........ I'm saying I think Vieira might be too much his own man for our board to handle .

Post #486991  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 am 

Former Premier League star Jlloyd Samuel dies in tragic accident

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/former-premier-league-star-jlloyd-samuel-dies-in-tragic-accident/news-story/56253f5b4fa413a9efd083d513438d48

Post #486992  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 am 

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Not well at all. He was 36 years old when appointed. He came to be regarded as a great player (with celebrity wife) who had no idea how to manage. Arsenal got consistently worse under him until he was finally booted out after four years of decline.

In yet another spooky coincidence the replacement was a “brave” or “cheap” one depending on your view as the club unexpectedly promoted its physiotherapist. The rest, as they say, is history.

Post #486993  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 am 

long time gooner wrote:
In yet another spooky coincidence the replacement was a “brave” or “cheap” one depending on your view as the club unexpectedly promoted its physiotherapist. The rest, as they say, is history.

Wenger was signed from Japan, and wasn't Millwall in the old second division when we brought in George Graham? Say what you will about an Arteta appointment, it would at least be in keeping with tradition.

Post #486994  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 am 

I read a bizarre story the other day that a few seasons ago Arteta used funds he had collected (as club captain) from player fines to buy Gazidis an expensive watch.

I had always assumed that fines dished out to players went to charity.

Post #486995  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:54 am 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Wenger was signed from Japan, and wasn't Millwall in the old second division when we brought in George Graham? Say what you will about an Arteta appointment, it would at least be in keeping with tradition.

They were both managers at least, though, with some degree of experience.

Obviously, I don't know if Arteta would be a good choice but given his inexperience its seems an incredibly brave decision at best and somewhat reckless at worst. We really need to get back into CL place contention at least very quickly or risk years in the wilderness. Even more so if rumours of very limited funds available are to be believed.

People laughed at Eddie Howe as a possibility because he has never managed a big club and were dismissive of Vieira and Henry due to a lack of experience.

Post #486996  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 am 

socrates wrote:
I read a bizarre story the other day that a few seasons ago Arteta used funds he had collected (as club captain) from player fines to buy Gazidis an expensive watch.

Ivan may need a new watch so that seems a good reason to appoint Arteta.

Post #486997  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:57 am 

Hazuki wrote:
...... With Arteta you even have Arsenal fans who have been banging the 'anyone but Wenger' drum for the past few years questioning the decision already.

This will likely be more entertaining than the football next season, should be a giggle, if indeed he is the choice.

Post #486998  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 am 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Not well at all. He was 36 years old when appointed. He came to be regarded as a great player (with celebrity wife) who had no idea how

:laughing7: Too late to go down that path we sacked the physio the other day . All these changes are spicing things up , maybe Mikel will offer Ya Ya Toure a one year stint with us . Bit long in the tooth but a lot of players get re- invigorated with a new challenge

Without googling wasn't Wright married to one of a singer group ...... Beverly Sisters .... ?

Saw something the other day Abromovich wants Pochettino at Chelsea ... that would be hysterical if it happened .

Post #486999  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:22 am 

socrates wrote:

He's a thief too. Great.

We've got a pagan as our new manager

Post #487000  Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Champions League game - in your dreams.

Not if you bring the right guy in.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12172, 12173, 12174, 12175, 12176, 12177, 12178 ... 14269  Next