Fixtures Weds April 17th - Bayern Munich - Allianz-Arena - UEFA Champions League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 63 guests

Post #485321  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 am 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Goonie is one of the last few believers of Wenger :53big-emoticons:

Sorry, my fellow mate, I went to the other side long time ago :icon_mrgreen:

Wenger has underperformed. Our away form is abysmal. All I'm saying is we have a good squad that will perform better next season be it under Wenger or a new manager. Proper replacement for Mertesacker and we'll improve considerably. Don't think it's a coincidence we have not finished top four with Mertesacker hardly playing the past two seasons. We saw the difference he made in the FA Cup final.

And I'm not sure why it's so controversial to suggest the club is in good shape. We are still a big club that can attract likes of Aubameyang and Lacazette. The club has been preparing for Wenger's evnrtual departure. And we have good young players coming up.

Cheers Goonie, just differing opinions we have

Post #485322  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:19 am 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Kroenke is unambitious for trophies and gave Wenger a new contract. In my view that makes him a crap owner. So you think Wenger has underperformed but if we somehow fuke the Europa League you'd want him to stay? Hmmm! You think the squad we have should have more points than we do. I agree, but we haven't because of Wenger's mismanagement. I think that's a good reason to want him gone even if we do win the Europa League.

Wenger's KPI, I suspect is to qualify for CL. If winning the Europa League achieves this, no reason to sack him.

I think one of his self imposed KPI's this season was to get 85 points.
http://www.football365.com/news/wenger- ... -the-title

Post #485323  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:47 am 

I don't want Man Utd to get to 13 FA cup wins. Nor do I want Tottenham to get a trophy. Hmm...Okay, Tottenham wins the semi and loses to Southampton but problem is i doubt Soton gets to the final. I'll hold my nose and go with Chelsea if Soton loses.

Post #485324  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Wenger's KPI, I suspect is to qualify for CL. If winning the Europa League achieves this, no reason to sack him.

The club is going downhill under Wenger and will decline further if he stays. That is a reason to sack him. We can't even filll the Emirates these days.

Post #485325  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 am 

Goonie wrote:
Wenger has underperformed. Our away form is abysmal. All I'm saying is we have a good squad that will perform better next season be it under Wenger or a new manager. Proper replacement for Mertesacker and we'll improve considerably. Don't think it's a coincidence we have not finished top four with Mertesacker hardly playing the past two seasons. We saw the difference he made in the FA Cup final.

And I'm not sure why it's so controversial to suggest the club is in good shape. We are still a big club that can attract likes of Aubameyang and Lacazette. The club has been preparing for Wenger's evnrtual departure. And we have good young players coming up.

You said it yourself, Wenger has underperformed. I'll go further and say he has done for some while. That's a reason to sack him, regardless of any cup success, even if the Europa League turns out to be our route back into the Champions League next season.

Why do you think the squad will perform better under Wenger next season, if he stays? Is it just replacing Mertesacker? I do agree with you about the impact of losing him. Mertesacker in my view was seriously undervalued by some Arsenal fans. But I thought Wenger was supposed to have already replaced him with the £35m he spent on Mustafi. Also, I bet Lacazette regrets joining Arsenal after being Wengerised.

Post #485326  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

The club is going downhill under Wenger and will decline further if he stays. That is a reason to sack him. We can't even filll the Emirates these days.

He doesn't see it as a problem ..

Wenger says empty seats at Emirates are "not a big concern. Our crowd is pretty solid at the moment. … I believe we have a very faithful crowd, faithful fans, who will always be there to support the club."

And he adds: "We are sold out in every single game, so I don’t know where the problem is at the moment.”

Post #485327  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wenger says empty seats at Emirates are "not a big concern. Our crowd is pretty solid at the moment. … I believe we have a very faithful crowd, faithful fans, who will always be there to support the club."

And he adds: "We are sold out in every single game, so I don’t know where the problem is at the moment.”

Anyone who doesn't think it's a problem that only around two-thirds of season ticket holders bother going, despite having paid to attend the game, is a moron.

Post #485328  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:06 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Anyone who doesn't think it's a problem that only around two-thirds of season ticket holders bother going, despite having paid to attend the game, is a moron.

The comment is a snide deliberate dig at the fans. I think he views our supporters as inconvenient and something that hinder him now and just have to be tolerated. If he does leave this season and they announced it beforehand so they could have some sort of presentation I do wonder how many of our fans would stay behind and turn up.

Post #485329  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 am 

Kiwi, I think you spent a fair bit of time in the bush at mining sites so you might like this Utube of trucks in Oz and some of the animals encountered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GIJQLc-Ntw

Must say I have never been inconvenienced by camels but birds, roos, cattle, sheep and emus have proved a challenge at times. Been in 2 cars that hit roos and I hit an eagle once and it flipped the bonnet on my HQ Monaro at 90 mph. The rest were close shaves for me.

Post #485330  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Just as he'll blame anyone but himself for the woeful state the club is in, he'll deny there is any problem with the fans. I accused him of being deluded a couple of weeks back. I was wrong. He knows exactly what is going on but just chooses to ignore or deny it. Selfish, greedy, self-centred old man who is now shite at his job but can't bear to give up his status as Arsenal manager and do what is right by the club. Seeing the back of him when it eventually happens will be like winning a trophy.

Post #485331  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 am 

"We are sold out in every single game, so I don’t know where the problem is at the moment.”

We are most definitely NOT sold out every single game. None of the recent games have sold out. Chelsea was probably the last sell-out on 3rd January. I'm not even sure we sold our full allocation of Cup Final tickets.

Bernard is correct - at least a third of the season-ticket holders don't attend any more. I think it could well be half but some pass on or sell their tickets privately, though from personal experience, there isn't much interest.

If AW can't see that there's a problem, he should be relieved of his duties on medical grounds.

Post #485332  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

You said it yourself, Wenger has underperformed. I'll go further and say he has done for some while. That's a reason to sack him, regardless of any cup success, even if the Europa League turns out to be our route back into the Champions League next season.

Why do you think the squad will perform better under Wenger next season, if he stays? Is it just replacing Mertesacker? I do agree with you about the impact of losing him. Mertesacker in my view was seriously undervalued by some Arsenal fans. But I thought Wenger was supposed to have already replaced him with the £35m he spent on Mustafi. Also, I bet Lacazette regrets joining Arsenal after being Wengerised.

I'm speculating but the understanding between Wenger and the board/owner could be to secure CL football at a minimum. If he does it by the back door winning the Europa League, the board/owner can't say he has not kept his end of the bargain.

Minimally a proper replacement for Mertesacker. Mustafi not working out - this happens sometimes. Another CB would be ideal as Koscielny has declined. A replacement for Cazorla would be nice too as well as a new GK - basically a new defensive spine. We really should fill our quota for non-homegrown players with top quality ones.

As to why I think we will perform better next season, simply because this season's away form is a freaky one. Usually we secure at least 30 league points away and about 40 points at home. I think normal services will resume next season - hope so anyway.

Post #485333  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm speculating but the understanding between Wenger and the board/owner could be to secure CL football at a minimum. If he does it by the back door winning the Europa League, the board/owner can't say he has not kept his end of the bargain.

Minimally a proper replacement for Mertesacker. Mustafi not working out - this happens sometimes. Another CB would be ideal as Koscielny has declined. A replacement for Cazorla would be nice too as well as a new GK - basically a new defensive spine. We really should fill our quota for non-homegrown players with top quality ones.

As to why I think we will perform better next season, simply because this season's away form is a freaky one. Usually we secure at least 30 league points away and about 40 points at home. I think normal services will resume next season - hope so anyway.

I don't think you can claim that this is a freakish statistical aberration and that the law of large numbers will eventually come into play. At some point you have to conclude that the sample size is big enough and you have to accept what the numbers are telling you. We are simply crap away from home. We are flaky and our defense is rubbish. 3 wins in 16 games is quite enough evidence as far as I am concerned.

Post #485334  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I don't think you can claim that this is a freakish statistical aberration and that the law of large numbers will eventually come into play. At some point you have to conclude that the sample size is big enough and you have to accept what the numbers are telling you. We are simply crap away from home. We are flaky and our defense is rubbish. 3 wins in 16 games is quite enough evidence as far as I am concerned.

Also if results and points totals are progressively getting worse year on year you can't take the average points totals of the last 6 years as explanation as to why that will be the likely points tally for next season. Patterns are more important that averages

Post #485335  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I agree we are crap away this season. I just don't think we'd be this crappy again next season. Be that as it may, a total of 70++ points have not been good enough to see us putting a credible title challenge for the past how many seasons. I believe 07/08 was the last time we got more than 80 points.

Post #485336  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I agree we are crap away this season. I just don't think we'd be this crappy again next season. Be that as it may, a total of 70++ points have not been good enough to see us putting a credible title challenge for the past how many seasons. I believe 07/08 was the last time we got more than 80 points.

And 80 points is rarely going to be enough to win the league which was coincidentally a spin line used by Wenger in the past.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... itle-glory

We couldn't even beat Leiester to the title when every other major team was a mess.

I'm not sure what will make this team a better team next year without a new manager. Although by some fluke it might be possible that the season tally is better, it won't be of any kind of meaningful advance under Wenger.

Looking forward to watching again once he *%^@* off though but for now will make do with fifa 18 and the upcoming world cup.

Post #485337  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think Some of Chambers performances have been frankly disasterous but I would be interested to see how he fared under a different manager who marshalled him better and knew his weaknesses as he is a player with some quality. I don’t think he’s the write off many think but Wenger isn’t helping him. You don’t send a centre half in his early twenties on the pitch without serious instruction and you just know that Arsene probably barely says a word to him. You could possibly apply this to Holding too.

Mustafi too. I don't believe we were sold a dud. Its the system that is failing.

Post #485338  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:12 pm 

As Harlow rarely posts these days I just thought I would point out on his behalf it is a gloriously hot day in the city with all the girls out wearing shorts skirts.

Post #485339  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I think Some of Chambers performances have been frankly disasterous but I would be interested to see how he fared under a different manager who marshalled him better and knew his weaknesses as he is a player with some quality. I don’t think he’s the write off many think but Wenger isn’t helping him. You don’t send a centre half in his early twenties on the pitch without serious instruction and you just know that Arsene probably barely says a word to him. You could possibly apply this to Holding too.

Mustafi too. I don't believe we were sold a dud. Its the system that is failing.

Your on your own there mate! His brain farts are spectacular and he’s old enough to know better

Post #485340  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Your on your own there mate! His brain farts are spectacular and he’s old enough to know better

Not quite, Top Gun. Quite a few people are of the view that if you drop a good defender into a disorganised and constantly experimental defensive formation, the odds are that that defender will become a cockup merchant.

I don't deny that we need one top class CB signing and a new keeper. However, we need to sort out the coaching issue or well we continue to be a graveyard for promising players.

The poor form of the likes of Mustafi and Bellerin is akin to having sore, watering eyes when you have a dose of the clap. Such symptoms should not distract you from the real problem.

Wenger out.

Post #485341  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/tickets-at ... subsidised

I posted about this last week having seen a few people on twitter mention the opportunity for some good PR from the club by subsidising the travelling fans for Madrid away.

It seems a lot of people contacted the club about the difference in ticket prices for arsenal and atletico away fans - and the club have listened.

Post #485342  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not quite, Top Gun. Quite a few people are of the view that if you drop a good defender into a disorganised and constantly experimental defensive formation, the odds are that that defender will become a cockup merchant.

I don't deny that we need one top class CB signing and a new keeper. However, we need to sort out the coaching issue or well we continue to be a graveyard for promising players.

The poor form of the likes of Mustafi and Bellerin is akin to having sore, watering eyes when you have a dose of the clap. Such symptoms should not distract you from the real problem.

Wenger out.

Whilst I agree with the notion of what you're saying it is also interesting to see Liverpool's improvement since Van Dijk has been parachuted in to their defence, clearly easier to do that when you are a team who is generally playing well and winning games anyway.

Also, if we had a 25 year old Tony Adams and dropped him alongside Mustafi, Bellerin, Monreal and Xhaka and the brief was for Adams to do whatever he required with that defence on the pitch I can't see how we wouldn't improve.

None of our defenders (bar Mertesacker) strike me as leaders and organisers. Wenger has made a habit of buying the reactive, athletic, aggressive CB, ones who take risks, play on the front foot and look to nick the ball from in front of the striker. He hasn't purchased many of the organiser types. Defence is actually a position that you can get away without having world class players and still create a world class defence.

Post #485343  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

This is a very valid point and very close to our problems for the last decade .

Rich made a point above that we have being going for a certain type of centre half that nicks the ball but I don't agree. Reason being is I don't think arsene looks in any qualities when signing defenders he just views it as a vacancy to fill. It's not like that. I bet he didn't do much due diligence when signing Gabriel and Mustafi

Post #485344  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:18 pm 

Chelsea did us a favour by beating Chelsea tonight

Post #485345  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Kiwi, I think you spent a fair bit of time in the bush at mining sites so you might like this Utube of trucks in Oz and some of the animals encountered.

Must say I have never been inconvenienced by camels but birds, roos, cattle, sheep and emus have proved a challenge at times. Been in 2 cars that hit roos and I hit an eagle once and it flipped the bonnet on my HQ Monaro at 90 mph. The rest were close shaves for me.

:laughing7: How coincidental Gaz .......Was just talking about this yesterday to a mate . In Gove NT a French Canadian consultant took a brand new Toyota Landcruiser to run himself out to the airport , we went to pick it up from the car park .. no sign of the vehicle ...checking back we find it down a bank all the front stoved in , turns out he'd hit a water buffalo , vehicle was a right off .

Son and I were helping build a gas pumping station in Condamine , Central Queensland got laid off ...decided to leave early evening .

Scary at night , bush right up to the sides of the road ...f*** roos jumping out to cross the road all the time , we were down to 50 kms to try and avoid a collision .
In the end we pulled over to the side and waited for a road train to come through .... got right up his arse so he could pinball the mothers out of the way :laughing7: even that is freaky seeing big and small carcasses flying past your window .

Post #485346  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:05 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Add Aubameyang and Mkthi to the list of those regretting their move

Post #485347  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think Wenger must be a very difficult child for his parents, a difficult student for the teachers, a difficult person to befriend ....... His defence mechanism is to deny truth. Expect more from him in press conferences.

Post #485348  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think Wenger must be a very difficult child for his parents, a difficult student for the teachers, a difficult person to befriend ....... His defence mechanism is to deny truth. Expect more from him in press conferences.

Same qualifications as President of the USA

Post #485349  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:28 am 

Rich wrote:

good one, too excited with the result?

Post #485350  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

:laughing7: How coincidental Gaz .......Was just talking about this yesterday to a mate . In Gove NT a French Canadian consultant took a brand new Toyota Landcruiser to run himself out to the airport , we went to pick it up from the car park .. no sign of the vehicle ...checking back we find it down a bank all the front stoved in , turns out he'd hit a water buffalo , vehicle was a right off .

Son and I were helping build a gas pumping station in Condamine , Central Queensland got laid off ...decided to leave early evening .

Scary at night , bush right up to the sides of the road ...f*** roos jumping out to cross the road all the time , we were down to 50 kms to try and avoid a collision .
In the end we pulled over to the side and waited for a road train to come through .... got right up his arse so he could pinball the mothers out of the way :laughing7: even that is freaky seeing big and small carcasses flying past your window .

Lived out Longreach for a couple of years and the roos are thick on the road out in that area at night. Bit of green on the side of the road is always attractive. I don't think unless you have been out there you could appreciate how thick they are. Plus a lot of that area was unfenced and probably remains unfenced. Mid winter cattle often sit on the road to pick up a bit of warmth. Nearly hit a big cow outside Winton late one night. Put down some real rubbed to stop a bit short of him/her.

Love the west but jeez it can be harsh. Dont know whether you saw the Roosters game last night but that was a brilliant defensive display. They had no ball at all but dug deep. Exactly what we need to do against AM.

Not too late in the season for snakes around here neither. Good ones a dead one.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-20/s ... es/9679716

Post #485351  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:22 am 

Keep these exciting tales of the outback coming Gaz and Kiwi. Here in Bromley our main wildlife danger I'd say is avoiding dog *%^@ on tbe pavement.

Post #485352  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Keep these exciting tales of the outback coming Gaz and Kiwi. Here in Bromley our main wildlife danger I'd say is avoiding dog *%^@ on tbe pavement.

Not talking Dingos are you.

Post #485353  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:38 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

good one, too excited with the result?

Oooops. They have been known to self implode but this time it was Burnley they beat.

It’s highly likely 7th place will get Europa League next year but I hadn’t realised that 7th place will go in the qualifying rounds, which means games at the end of July messing up our ore season.

No doubt even if we finish 6th there will be the same tired excuses as to why we start the season slowly. The World Cup, the transfer window, tired players etc etc. Obviously none of this will affect the top 5

Post #485354  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 am 

Have to agree with this article. We must lose to Athletico otherwise we will just fall further behind

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article.php ... tmejhbTXDs

Post #485355  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 am 

Wengers gone !!!

Post #485356  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 am 

:22encouragement: Going not gone. At end of season

Post #485357  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 am 

It's true!!

Woooohoooooo.......

Full house Sunday.

Post #485358  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 am 

Bloody hell...

Post #485359  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 am 

putting my application in now..

Post #485360  Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 am 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
WENGER IS GOING!!!!!!!

NOW GIVE HIM A PROPER SEND OFF

I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!

[ 571628 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12131, 12132, 12133, 12134, 12135, 12136, 12137 ... 14291  Next