Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 179 guests

Post #485281  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:40 pm 

I think giving Wenger another season if we win Europa League would only confirm that any new manager the season after wouldn't have champions league.

If, if we win Europa then Wenger has to go in order to give the new man the champions league.

If Wenger is here next season and in the Champions League can anyone see anything apart from a 2nd place group finish and a round of 16 knock out by a clear margin by one of the elite teams. It has been a saving grace for Wenger that English clubs can't draw each other in the last 16. Defeats to english clubs in Europe are more painful than to European clubs.

Post #485282  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm 

lomekian wrote:
tomc wrote:
I was at the Em that night in 2009. Really good evening. Sadly of that team only Coquelin and Wilshere went on to do anything at Arsenal. Let's hope for a better return with this team. And that you know who is long gone before he gets a chance to Wengerise them.

I was there too! Great team that.

Some great kids in the current crop. Behind AMN, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah (and possibly Da Silva and Dragomir - don't think Sheaf will make it and Bielik just can't stay fit), there are some great attacking players like Balogan, John-Jules, Amaechi, Coyle and the outstanding Smith-Rowe, who while not as technically outstanding at the same age as Jack is a lot more physically robust and a better athlete. From the current u23s and u18s I think there are collectively 5 or 6 who've got a chance.
Chelsea in the final will be tough though given how dominant they've been at this level.

It is always nice to look down the youth teams and hope for players who might make it. The harsh reality is that even if only 1 of this current youth cup team makes it to be a first team squad member it will be a success when compared to the amount of young players who make it at our club and other top clubs.

I remember seeing Afobe and Akpom bang in goals for fun at youth level and thinking they were potential big players for Arsenal.

AMN looks like a great player, his versatility in either full back position is good and that isn't even his natural position. He has the physical attributes and pace to burn he just needs to develop his experience and tactical side of the game - will need a new coach for that. He's been the biggest breakthrough this season

Post #485283  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
lomekian wrote:

I was there too! Great team that.

Some great kids in the current crop. Behind AMN, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah (and possibly Da Silva and Dragomir - don't think Sheaf will make it and Bielik just can't stay fit), there are some great attacking players like Balogan, John-Jules, Amaechi, Coyle and the outstanding Smith-Rowe, who while not as technically outstanding at the same age as Jack is a lot more physically robust and a better athlete. From the current u23s and u18s I think there are collectively 5 or 6 who've got a chance.
Chelsea in the final will be tough though given how dominant they've been at this level.

It is always nice to look down the youth teams and hope for players who might make it. The harsh reality is that even if only 1 of this current youth cup team makes it to be a first team squad member it will be a success when compared to the amount of young players who make it at our club and other top clubs.

I remember seeing Afobe and Akpom bang in goals for fun at youth level and thinking they were potential big players for Arsenal.

AMN looks like a great player, his versatility in either full back position is good and that isn't even his natural position. He has the physical attributes and pace to burn he just needs to develop his experience and tactical side of the game - will need a new coach for that. He's been the biggest breakthrough this season

Of course there is no way all but a handfull will get even close to making it, but in AMN, Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Smith-Rowe and possibly Amaechi, there are some players who have massively stood out at their age group levels, almost to the same extent as Wilshere did, so if they have better luck with injuries, they genuinely have a chance. Regardless of how many stick, this is the best crop over a 2-3 year age group we've had in a good while. Afobe i always had doubts about technically, and Akpom is the kind of player that is an 'almost' guy. His problem is he is basically the same player at 22 as he was at 19, despite plenty of loan football.

The one who disappointed me most was JET. He was SO dominant at u23 level but never developed the stamina, game intelligence or consistency to kick on. Even in his first loan spell at Blackpool he was very promising, but is probably a worse player now than he was then.

Post #485284  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 pm 

Since October 2016 we've played 31 PL away games and won just 9. Alexis scored in all 9 of those wins.

Post #485285  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm 

Saw this stat on twitter
For the first time since March 2017, Bas Dost controlled the ball before scoring this weekend, ending a run of 45 first-time finishes.

That’s what you call a clinical penalty box finisher. Imagine not requiring a first touch for any goal for a 45 goal run

Post #485286  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Utter rubbish, in my view. He doesn't deserve another thirty seconds let alone a season. Not in any way, shape or form. He's poisoning the club and the future of Arsenal is way more important than giving a selfish old buffoon another season because he won something. Especially when the only good side we'd have to face in it was Atletico.

The club is in good shape. We have a good squad. Our home form is a testimony to the team's potential. Unfortunately Wenger can't seem to motivate the players away from home this season. I believe any decent manager (including Wenger) will get more out of this team next season .

Not every flower can save love, but a rose can. Not every plant survives thirst, but a cactus can. Not every re tard can read, but look at you go, little buddy! I don't care if you lick windows, or interfere with farm animals we are all here for you. So hang in there cup cake, you're f--king special to us all on the forum. You crayon eating b'stard you!"

Post #485287  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm 

Goonie wrote:
The club is in good shape. We have a good squad. Our home form is a testimony to the team's potential. Unfortunately Wenger can't seem to motivate the players away from home this season. I believe any decent manager (including Wenger) will get more out of this team next season - this squad is certainly capable of securing more than 13 league points away from home. We do need at least one more (two would be ideal) established central defender next season.

Goonie, are you all right mate? Have you taken any psychedelics as you appear to be having hallucinations.

Post #485288  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm 

The game to worry about actually isn't the Europa league when Athletico will smash our lubricantless jam roll it's United the Sunday after the first leg because if the European tie is poised imagine the side Wenger will put out ! Basically Aubameyang and a collection of second teamers. That could be half a dozen

Post #485289  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

The club is in good shape. We have a good squad. Our home form is a testimony to the team's potential. Unfortunately Wenger can't seem to motivate the players away from home this season. I believe any decent manager (including Wenger) will get more out of this team next season .

Not every flower can save love, but a rose can. Not every plant survives thirst, but a cactus can. Not every re tard can read, but look at you go, little buddy! I don't care if you lick windows, or interfere with farm animals we are all here for you. So hang in there cup cake, you're f--king special to us all on the forum. You crayon eating b'stard you!"

:1laughter: I think after those two posts both of you could do with a little help ..... when we lived in Coulsdon there was a perfect spot that could cater for you guys ...... Cane Hill I'll give them a ring

..... http://www.abandoned-britain.com/PP/canehill/1.htm

...Oh shame it's closed .

Post #485290  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:10 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:1laughter: I think after those two posts both of you could do with a little help ..... when we lived in Coulsdon there was a perfect spot that could cater for you guys ...... Cane Hill I'll give them a ring

Oh don't worry about me son I'm fine.

You'll laugh but he spent the whole day cleaning the Gorgonzola from around his pecker and managed to spare 5 minutes to tell everyone how brilliant Arsene is doing. Almost as crackers as AG.

The forum needs a *%^@*** helpline

Post #485291  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 pm 

I wouldn’t mind seeing us make a move for Lascelles from Newcastle this summer. He has been very good for them, a proper leader. Young, English, good positioning, good in the ball.

Just a player I think will end up somewhere bigger than Newcastle

Post #485292  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Oh don't worry about me son I'm fine.

You'll laugh but he spent the whole day cleaning the Gorgonzola from around his pecker and managed to spare 5 minutes to tell everyone how brilliant Arsene is doing. Almost as crackers as AG.

The forum needs a *%^@*** helpline

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #485293  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
I wouldn’t mind seeing us make a move for Lascelles from Newcastle this summer. He has been very good for them, a proper leader. Young, English, good positioning, good in the ball.

Just a player I think will end up somewhere bigger than Newcastle

I don't want us to buy any promising player while Wenger is in charge because I think he would f***** up their career .

Post #485294  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
The club is in good shape. We have a good squad. Our home form is a testimony to the team's potential. Unfortunately Wenger can't seem to motivate the players away from home this season. I believe any decent manager (including Wenger) will get more out of this team next season - this squad is certainly capable of securing more than 13 league points away from home. We do need at least one more (two would be ideal) established central defender next season.

Good God. That's such a ridiculous post that I'm not sure whether you're being serious or having a joke. "The club is in good shape." You mean apart from having a past it has been as a manager? Why is our home form more telling of the team's potential under Wenger than our away form? We haven't won more away points because of Wenger, so why would that change if he stays?

13 league points away from home at this stage is the not the norm for Wenger. 35-40 points league points at home is what we usually get... and it seems everyone agree that any decent manager can get more out of the current squad, so I don't think it's anything controversial to say that we have a good squad and the club is in good shape.

Post #485295  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Been drinking again?

Post #485296  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Goonie, are you all right mate? Have you taken any psychedelics as you appear to be having hallucinations.

If we can properly replace Mertesacker and Cazorla, I'm confident we will perform better next season - with or without Wenger. At the moment we can still afford to add three non-homegrown players to the squad. If the club buy 3-5 established players, can't see why we can't put up a credible title challenge.

Post #485297  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:23 am 

Goonie wrote:
13 league points away from home at this stage is the not the norm for Wenger. 35-40 points league points at home is what we usually get... and it seems everyone agree that any decent manager can get more out of the current squad, so I don't think it's anything controversial to say that we have a good squad and the club is in good shape.

With Wenger as the manager, Kroenke as the owner, and almost an entire new defence being needed, how the hell can you say "the club is in good shape"?

Post #485298  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

With Wenger as the manager, Kroenke as the owner, and almost an entire new defence being needed, how the hell can you say "the club is in good shape"?

The good thing abt Kroenke is that he doesn't interfere. But there has been changes in the background preparing for Wenger's eventual departure - appointment of Mislintat and two other guys whose names I can't remember. Plus our youths are in the Final.

As for Wenger, he has underperformed. Whoever our manager is next season, should be able to get at least 75 league points next season - we definitely have the players for that. Our away form this season is an anomaly.

As for our defence, I think Bellerin will stay, Kolasinac should improve and Monreal can give us one more season. If we can properly replace Mertesacker and relegate Koscielny to be our 4th CB with quality additions, our squad will be sttengthened significantly.

Post #485299  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:08 am 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Been drinking again?

Not enough to make me think Wenger is doing a good job :laughing7:

Post #485300  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:06 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

:laughing7:

Post #485301  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 am 

To the person who did this meme - brilliant.

https://me.me/i/wenger-out-t-the-queen- ... t-13513244

Post #485302  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:23 am 

Goonie wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

If we can properly replace Mertesacker and Cazorla, I'm confident we will perform better next season - with or without Wenger. At the moment we can still afford to add three non-homegrown players to the squad. If the club buy 3-5 established players, can't see why we can't put up a credible title challenge.

Goonie, I will defend your right to have this opinion.I t seems that you have thought it through. I just do not agree.

Post #485303  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:26 am 

Goonie wrote:
The good thing abt Kroenke is that he doesn't interfere. But there has been changes in the background preparing for Wenger's eventual departure - appointment of Mislintat and two other guys whose names I can't remember. Plus our youths are in the Final.

As for Wenger, he has underperformed. Whoever our manager is next season, should be able to get at least 75 league points next season - we definitely have the players for that. Our away form this season is an anomaly.

As for our defence, I think Bellerin will stay, Kolasinac should improve and Monreal can give us one more season. If we can properly replace Mertesacker and relegate Koscielny to be our 4th CB with quality additions, our squad will be sttengthened significantly.

Kroenke is unambitious for trophies and gave Wenger a new contract. In my view that makes him a crap owner. So you think Wenger has underperformed but if we somehow fuke the Europa League you'd want him to stay? Hmmm! You think the squad we have should have more points than we do. I agree, but we haven't because of Wenger's mismanagement. I think that's a good reason to want him gone even if we do win the Europa League.

Post #485304  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
It would not surprise me if we beat Atletico, at least at home. How many goals we concede may be where the tie is decided.

I've got a feeling we'll reach the final. Worse teams than Arsenal have beaten better sides than Atletico many times, even over two legs. I just think it's wrong to write off Arsenal's chances. Also I reckon Arsenal are the more likely to score an away goal. Atletico aren't the best going forward, despite having Griezmann, and we all know how important away goals can be in European football.

Furthermore, I feel there's another issue. With the threat to Wenger's job (the Daily Mail are saying the lack of bums on seats at the Emirates in recent weeks is worrying the club's hierarchy), it would be so Wengerish for him to save himself by winning the Europa League to get Arsenal back into the Champions League. It just strikes me as so typical of Wenger. Okay, it didn't get us in the Champions League, but beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final got him a new contract last summer.

Atletico have been really flakey this season and have had some poor form slumps. It will be just like us to put down a Chelsea FA Cup type performance and get enough of a lead to hold on in Madrid.

I don't think it will matter whether we win or not because I expect Wenger to be there next year. I just don't expect Kroenke to act. Of course this could be fatal to our chances of having Ramsay renewing or Bellerin remain at the club.

Post #485305  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:36 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

I just don't expect Kroenke to act. Of course this could be fatal to our chances of having Ramsay renewing or Bellerin remain at the club.

Well I have been drinking ... a few hefty rums ..... but if Bellerin f***s off to some other point on the planet I'll be a happy man except for speed I just can't figure out what that ponsy little sh**t with the stupid haircut offers .

No positional sense , slows ever play down the right hand side with a pass backwards , can't cross for sh***t , so often caught out of position , mediocre defender ....... Maricon .

PS What's happened to the Cowboys this season ...Thurston is getting a bit long in the tooth but you still have an awesome squad yet you've dropped off a cliff . 1 win 5 losses

Post #485306  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:24 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I just don't expect Kroenke to act. Of course this could be fatal to our chances of having Ramsay renewing or Bellerin remain at the club.

Well I have been drinking ... a few hefty rums ..... but if Bellerin f***s off to some other point on the planet I'll be a happy man except for speed I just can't figure out what that ponsy little sh**t with the stupid haircut offers .

No positional sense , slows ever play down the right hand side with a pass backwards , can't cross for sh***t , so often caught out of position , mediocre defender ....... Maricon .

PS What's happened to the Cowboys this season ...Thurston is getting a bit long in the tooth but you still have an awesome squad yet you've dropped off a cliff . 1 win 5 losses

The problem is that at least he has some idea and I think he could improve. Alternatively Chambers who I thought was taken apart again on the weekend would probably play more games in the position. If a few more players actually made runs and made themselves available for Bellerin maybe he wouldn't have to pass backwards.

Cowboys - I think a few of them read the papers and thought they were in the top 4. Now they look disjointed and I think Morgan is carrying an injury. Would not surprise me if he has to have an op.

Post #485307  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 pm 

I would have loved to get Martial. Too bad. Mourinho, like Wenger, seems to ruin some players via excluding them and ignoring them (Podolski couldn't buy a match).

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... l-14544511

Post #485308  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:10 pm 

We were once known for having one of the best scouting networks in Europe. Mustafi isn't good enough. He's a liability. Neville saying his former club couldn't give him away at one time because he was so bad, tells you how out of the loop our scouts are.

http://www.arsenalshorts.com/news/20180 ... rformances

Post #485309  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:14 pm 

When I first saw this headline, I was certain they were talking about Özil. Juve wanting an Arsenal star. Has to be Özil right? But no....

http://www.arsenalshorts.com/news/20180 ... rformances

Post #485310  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:57 pm 

I think Some of Chambers performances have been frankly disasterous but I would be interested to see how he fared under a different manager who marshalled him better and knew his weaknesses as he is a player with some quality. I don’t think he’s the write off many think but Wenger isn’t helping him. You don’t send a centre half in his early twenties on the pitch without serious instruction and you just know that Arsene probably barely says a word to him. You could possibly apply this to Holding too.

Post #485311  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:07 pm 

Goonie is one of the last few believers of Wenger :53big-emoticons:

Sorry, my fellow mate, I went to the other side long time ago :icon_mrgreen:

Post #485312  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:25 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

33 points off top position
More people watching arsenal fan TV every week than turning up to games
Whole defence needs replacing
No player of any credit willing to sign a new contract unless the wages are insane (cheers Mesut)
People celebrating mediocrity by lauding players like El Nenny
Wenger talking more nonsense than Trump

Yep that's right we're top of the world Ma!

Post #485313  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think Some of Chambers performances have been frankly disasterous but I would be interested to see how he fared under a different manager who marshalled him better and knew his weaknesses as he is a player with some quality. I don’t think he’s the write off many think but Wenger isn’t helping him. You don’t send a centre half in his early twenties on the pitch without serious instruction and you just know that Arsene probably barely says a word to him. You could possibly apply this to Holding too.

Did chambers make these individual mistakes when on loan to Boro?

Post #485314  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:30 pm 

In my view wenger is failing in every single aspect of his role and expectations.

I struggle to think of a single thing he does well any more. I’m sure there are still those classy moments behind the scenes, showing his intelligence and dignity as a person but there is little there as a football manager any more.

Signings?
Improving players?
Training?
Tactics?
Set pieces?
Motivation?
Leadership?
Style of play?
Entertainment?
Youth players?

I’m really struggling

Post #485315  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Did chambers make these individual mistakes when on loan to Boro?

Not sure

I watched him versus Chelsea at Stamford bridge when I was entertaining a customer despite losing his performance seemed seemed more assured than with us. Not sure though

Post #485316  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:35 pm 

Reading that arsenal are charging Atletico away fans £40 per ticket, but they are charging our fans £79 for away fans.

Some people suggesting we should just charge Atletico fans exactly what they are charging us and use the £39 extra to subsidise Arsenal’s away fans for their trip to Spain.

Man U did this last season and it sounds like a great idea.

Post #485317  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 pm 

We just had a morning breakfast news item from the UK about the hot day and how people were out enjoying the sunshine. I think this might be the turning point for our season. Suddenly our team puts it all together. The light is on - this is the omen we have been waiting for.

We thrash Atletico, we win the European trophy so many teams want to have in the boardroom, Wenger has his contract extended. Next season we do a clean sweep and win the lot. Goonie is carried into the stadium like a Greek God. On the other hand the weather could change tomorrow.

Post #485318  Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Reading that arsenal are charging Atletico away fans £40 per ticket, but they are charging our fans £79 for away fans.

Some people suggesting we should just charge Atletico fans exactly what they are charging us and use the £39 extra to subsidise Arsenal’s away fans for their trip to Spain.

Man U did this last season and it sounds like a great idea.

It's a brilliant idea but can you see the lazy wankers running our club even caring about the fans

Post #485319  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Kroenke is unambitious for trophies and gave Wenger a new contract. In my view that makes him a crap owner. So you think Wenger has underperformed but if we somehow fuke the Europa League you'd want him to stay? Hmmm! You think the squad we have should have more points than we do. I agree, but we haven't because of Wenger's mismanagement. I think that's a good reason to want him gone even if we do win the Europa League.

Wenger's KPI, I suspect is to qualify for CL. If winning the Europa League achieves this, no reason to sack him.

Post #485320  Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 am 

gooner7 wrote:

Wenger has underperformed. Our away form is abysmal. All I'm saying is we have a good squad that will perform better next season be it under Wenger or a new manager. Proper replacement for Mertesacker and we'll improve considerably. Don't think it's a coincidence we have not finished top four with Mertesacker hardly playing the past two seasons. We saw the difference he made in the FA Cup final.

And I'm not sure why it's so controversial to suggest the club is in good shape. We are still a big club that can attract likes of Aubameyang and Lacazette. The club has been preparing for Wenger's evnrtual departure. And we have good young players coming up.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12130, 12131, 12132, 12133, 12134, 12135, 12136 ... 14292  Next