Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 100 guests

Post #485241  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 pm 

Course I did.

I knew it wasn’t Whogivesafuck United which was my first guess.

Post #485242  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Agree. 3 new defenders and keeper it's gotta be 130m plus on the market at the moment. We won't do that! May get a couple in but some of our defenders who are failing this season are likely to be in the side still failing next.

Factor in probable sales of Ospina, Czech,Bellerin? Wilshire, Mustafi? makes it doable.

Not sure it does Čech and Wilshere would be unlikely to command transfer fees which mainly means we'd need to get around 40 million for Bellerin and Mustafis potential transfer fee could be written on a stamp at the moment !

Plus potentially if the players coming in are decent there would be an increase in wages. I just can't see us signing a whole new defence literally. Our best chance of success is Arsene shaping his existing personnel into a snarling regimented back 4, thou shalt not pass!!

Post #485243  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
John wrote:
It's not just Arsenal though, is it? The game is meaningless now, a spending wankathon dominated by the biggest teams in Europe. The top European leagues are even less competitive than the PL so all the same teams more or less compete at the business end of the champions league. It's boring, end of story

Except some teams can break in to it by buying well, selling well and having a manager who has a clear game plan and importantly improves players.

In Klopps time with Liverpool his total spend ins/outs is very slim. No way was coutinho worth £145m but look at what Klopp can do with that money.

Arsenal have consistently sold players for well under market value. The decision to not take £60m for Sanchez last summer was clearly terrible at the time and has proven so. We squeezed mkhitaryan out of Man U but really that deal meant Sanchez was only worth £30m. So we gave up £30m for 6 months of sulking

Yeah but if they do the mega rich clubs hoover up the players who were shining at these clubs. Who can see Salah at Liverpool past next season if he has another season anywhere close to this?

Post #485244  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 pm 

Daz wrote:
Course I did.

But you get the point anyway.

Post #485245  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I’m sorry it’s a foregone conclusion :laughing7:

Further evidence it is not a foregone conclusion.

It is. They are going to podger us up the ringpiece with no lube.

Thankfully

Post #485246  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 pm 

John wrote:
Daz wrote:
Course I did.

No but I am very tired is it something to do with away goals?

Post #485247  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 pm 

Daz wrote:
Clue: it is linked to crocodiles and cake and also has a quality that might stop you falling.

I DIDN'T GOOGLE IT I DIDN'T

Still don't know who it is. Though I am *%^@ at crosswords.

Post #485248  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Draytonkid wrote:

Factor in probable sales of Ospina, Czech,Bellerin? Wilshire, Mustafi? makes it doable.

Not sure it does Čech and Wilshere would be unlikely to command transfer fees which mainly means we'd need to get around 40 million for Bellerin and Mustafis potential transfer fee could be written on a stamp at the moment !

Plus potentially if the players coming in are decent there would be an increase in wages. I just can't see us signing a whole new defence literally. Our best chance of success is Arsene shaping his existing personnel into a snarling regimented back 4, thou shalt not pass!!

I reckon we should bring the old boys back. Spunky, Dicko, Tone, Bouldy and Nutty. Like that episode of Ripping Yarns.

Post #485249  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 pm 

John wrote:
Daz wrote:
Course I did.

Is it how are the mighty fallen where are they now couldn’t happen these days?

Post #485250  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:20 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Daz wrote:
Clue: it is linked to crocodiles and cake and also has a quality that might stop you falling.

I DIDN'T GOOGLE IT I DIDN'T

Another clue then. Claudio Caniggia never played for them.

Post #485251  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:21 pm 

Daz wrote:
John wrote:

Is it how are the mighty fallen where are they now couldn’t happen these days?

Exactly

Post #485252  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:58 pm 

They're not biting, John.

In fact they're as enthusiastic about your question as a kid contemplating the tangerine in a Christmas stocking.

Post #485253  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 pm 

Daz wrote:
My wife said my love of Arsenal and being able to speak Spanish were the two things she first liked about me after the Greek god appearance obviously.

and a wise choice ... that's you third from the left in the fourth picture wearing the winged helmet .

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=image ... A&biw=1338

Post #485254  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:18 pm 

John wrote:
Quick question . Without googling the answer. Liverpool played Roma in the 1984 European cup final. In the semi final Roma won the second leg 3-0 at home having lost the first 2-0 away. Who did they beat?

Shamrock Rovers ....?

Post #485255  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm 

John wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Dundee United?

Post #485256  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Dundee United?

Bromley's got it.

Post #485257  Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
John wrote:

Dundee United?

:53big-emoticons:

Post #485258  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 am 

http://global.espn.com/football/club/ar ... -top-again

So obvious for almost a decade

Post #485259  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wenger on the problems away from home: "I have to be realistic enough to say that maybe our balance of offensive and defensive doesn’t work."

It’s ok folks he’s worked it out now !!! After 13 years and everyone on the planet telling him

At this point he’s a total embarrassment to the club in every possible way. I hope Madrid destroy us in Europe and united and Mourinho give us a hammering in between the ties. He doesn’t deserve ANY redemption from his lack of competence

Oooh, very strong words against the man who brought us the Invincibles ................... but, I concur 100% :53big-emoticons:

Post #485260  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:30 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
The guy is dead and buried in my mind.

What was he doing sending out a team with so many changes. The time to do that if it had to be done was at Man U not the games before that. This was the perfect time to fine hone the squad, make changes during the game which was well within the means and ability of our best team.

This most definitely was not the right time as he has managed to wreck what was a regrowing team spirit amongst our players.

Damn you AW I will spit on you whenever I see you even if by some miracle you manage to win the Europa which I very much doubt now.

Blimey ! Even Chris has joined the dark side :laughing7:

Next target OMOH?

Shhh, he's sleeping z

Post #485261  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Basically the market price of 3 defenders and a keeper of the required quality is probably something like 130 million quid. We don’t have that unless we sell and he still needs another wide player.

More of the same next year and probably worse as we will probably have to make do with aging defenders trying to do their best but ultimately not good enough

Wenger will want to rely on Holding & Chambers to get "better". Both have not improved since joining us.

Post #485262  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:44 am 

Daz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Mertesacker is retiring and is, as you say, past it. But at the moment, however past it he is, I'd still rather have him in the team than Mustafi. I largely agree with what you say about the others. Chambers simply isn't good enough. Koscielny was once, but even when he is fit these days, he's no longer the player he was. He's nearly 33 and sadly needs replacing. Monreal is 32 now and past his best; even when at his best he still wasn't at the level of Sansom or Cole. Hearing rumours the club is looking to move Bellerin on so I think you could be right about him leaving. Čech isn't as bad as Ospina but is another in the 'past it' category.

You didn't mention Kolasinac or Holding. After bright starts to their Arsenal careers (Kolasinac this season and Holding last season), they've both gone seriously downhill. Hence there are solid arguments that we need a brand new defence. However, as you imply, Wenger is the last man you'd select to sort it out.

The additional factor is that a defence that is so weak is also so shapeless, lacking in spirit and energy, and tactically inept. Mustafi's problems are so glaring that I cannot believe they could be improved with better coaching.

Is it true that Mustafi wanted a transfer last summer? Maybe this is why he is under performing. The wrong attitude does slow you down, even when you didn't intend it to.

Post #485263  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Once he does go Wenger can only be really judged in terms of the damage he leaves and how long it takes the club to reach their previous highs. I'm even thinking how long it takes us to get back in the top 4 let alone challenge for the title. To finish above at least 2 of the teams above us in the table is unthinkable in the next few seasons even with a new manager such is the rebuilding job at hand.

As others have pointed out, a whole new defence is required. We still haven't got that proper strong defensive midfielder and we have a horrible lack of pace or width.

The squad is a shambles and needs a visionary and absolute wizardry in the transfer market to even tread water at the moment

First off, appoint the right player as Captain. We are leaderless on the pitch for too long now.

Post #485264  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:48 am 

warrior wrote:
R. Lee Ermey, the actor known for his Golden Globe-nominated role as an intimidating drill sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket," died Sunday at the age of 74, according to his manager.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/16/entertai ... index.html

RIP

Post #485265  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 am 

John wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Dundee United?

A very rare moment of inspiration. Thinking back, what an excellent team they were. And makes you look back nostalgically to a time where it was possible for a team like them to reach a European cup semi.

Post #485266  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:
Win or lose against Athletico, the day after the second leg the club should release a statement saying Wenger is leaving at the end of the season. The Emirates can give him a wave goodbye at the last home match and they can make a presentation. Then we can go back to being a football club again and not Arsene Wenger's Arsenal. He is no longer fit for purpose and every day he stays damages us more.

If he was planning to leave they would have announced it by now. The club are waiting to see if he wins Europa and if he does he stays for another year minimum. There won’t be any movement till the season ends. He has pretty much nothing else going

Not sure that they would. If they're in the market then having Wenger still in the seat increases their bargaining power. If the club made a public statement now saying he's gone then anyone coming in would have all the cards.

Post #485267  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 am 

Don’t know if this has been mentioned but the Arsenal U18 have made it through to the FA Youth Cup final (first time since 2009). They beat Blackpool 5-0 at the Emirates last night, 7-2 on aggregate. Some very talented players in this group. Smith-Rowe standing out again, if you get the chance to watch his run to win the penalty (which he then scored) last night do it because it is quite something at any level.

I’m assuming the Final v Chelsea will be the usual home and away legs, what a great opportunity for so many of our fans to go and watch an Arsenal team at the Emirates and not have any agenda. Just go and support the team. I remember the Emirates took somewhere between 30-40,000 for the Youth Cup final in 2009 when we beat Liverpool 4-1

Post #485268  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 am 

Pogba leaving United this summer. Swap with Ramsey ? I’d be tempted

Post #485269  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 am 

Rich wrote:
Don’t know if this has been mentioned but the Arsenal U18 have made it through to the FA Youth Cup final (first time since 2009). They beat Blackpool 5-0 at the Emirates last night, 7-2 on aggregate. Some very talented players in this group. Smith-Rowe standing out again, if you get the chance to watch his run to win the penalty (which he then scored) last night do it because it is quite something at any level.

I’m assuming the Final v Chelsea will be the usual home and away legs, what a great opportunity for so many of our fans to go and watch an Arsenal team at the Emirates and not have any agenda. Just go and support the team. I remember the Emirates took somewhere between 30-40,000 for the Youth Cup final in 2009 when we beat Liverpool 4-1

I was at the Em that night in 2009. Really good evening. Sadly of that team only Coquelin and Wilshere went on to do anything at Arsenal. Let's hope for a better return with this team. And that you know who is long gone before he gets a chance to Wengerise them.

Post #485270  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:10 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
John wrote:

A very rare moment of inspiration. Thinking back, what an excellent team they were. And makes you look back nostalgically to a time where it was possible for a team like them to reach a European cup semi.

Sadly BG you could talk about Arsenal in the same way now. We are a million miles away from a European Cup semi final at the moment. I see if we finish below Burnley in 7th we have to play a Europa League qualifier in July. Wonder who Wenger will blame for that. VAR? Mother's Day? Easter? The fourth official?

Post #485271  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:58 am 

It would not surprise me if we beat Atletico, at least at home. How many goals we concede may be where the tie is decided. Still can't complain. We are a club in transition : That is from challengers to.......

On the weekend some interesting comments from Sherwood and Shearer neither of whom probably like us. But comments that many of the players in the team were simply not good enough, that fans have very little connect with most players, that Čech is past it. I was nodding.

Also in relation to earlier post on Wilshire and selling him. I may be wrong, but I thought we get nothing at all - doesn't his contract expire at the end of June.

Post #485272  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
It would not surprise me if we beat Atletico, at least at home. How many goals we concede may be where the tie is decided.

I've got a feeling we'll reach the final. Worse teams than Arsenal have beaten better sides than Atletico many times, even over two legs. I just think it's wrong to write off Arsenal's chances. Also I reckon Arsenal are the more likely to score an away goal. Atletico aren't the best going forward, despite having Griezmann, and we all know how important away goals can be in European football.

Furthermore, I feel there's another issue. With the threat to Wenger's job (the Daily Mail are saying the lack of bums on seats at the Emirates in recent weeks is worrying the club's hierarchy), it would be so Wengerish for him to save himself by winning the Europa League to get Arsenal back into the Champions League. It just strikes me as so typical of Wenger. Okay, it didn't get us in the Champions League, but beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final got him a new contract last summer.

Post #485273  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
It would not surprise me if we beat Atletico, at least at home. How many goals we concede may be where the tie is decided.

I've got a feeling we'll reach the final. Worse teams than Arsenal have beaten better sides than Atletico many times, even over two legs. I just think it's wrong to write off Arsenal's chances. Also I reckon Arsenal are the more likely to score an away goal. Atletico aren't the best going forward, despite having Griezmann, and we all know how important away goals can be in European football.

Furthermore, I feel there's another issue. With the threat to Wenger's job (the Daily Mail are saying the lack of bums on seats at the Emirates in recent weeks is worrying the club's hierarchy), it would be so Wengerish for him to save himself by winning the Europa League to get Arsenal back into the Champions League. It just strikes me as so typical of Wenger. Okay, it didn't get us in the Champions League, but beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final got him a new contract last summer.

If we win the Europa League, Wenger deserves another season.

Post #485274  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Basically the market price of 3 defenders and a keeper of the required quality is probably something like 130 million quid. We don’t have that unless we sell and he still needs another wide player.

More of the same next year and probably worse as we will probably have to make do with aging defenders trying to do their best but ultimately not good enough

Wenger will want to rely on Holding & Chambers to get "better". Both have not improved since joining us.

Both would have learnt a lot playing alongside Mertesacker. We need a new dominant CB... can't think of one that can be realistically be ours though...

Post #485275  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Utter rubbish, in my view. He doesn't deserve another thirty seconds let alone a season. Not in any way, shape or form. He's poisoning the club and the future of Arsenal is way more important than giving a selfish old buffoon another season because he won something. Especially when the only good side we'd have to face in it was Atletico.

Post #485276  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Utter rubbish, in my view. He doesn't deserve another thirty seconds let alone a season. Not in any way, shape or form. He's poisoning the club and the future of Arsenal is way more important than giving a selfish old buffoon another season because he won something. Especially when the only good side we'd have to face in it was Atletico.

The club is in good shape. We have a good squad. Our home form is a testimony to the team's potential. Unfortunately Wenger can't seem to motivate the players away from home this season. I believe any decent manager (including Wenger) will get more out of this team next season - this squad is certainly capable of securing more than 13 league points away from home. We do need at least one more (two would be ideal) established central defender next season.

Post #485277  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:11 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Can somebody get a Colney Hatch on the phone asap !!! We have an escaped patient !!!!!

Post #485278  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:13 pm 

Goonie wrote:
The club is in good shape. We have a good squad. Our home form is a testimony to the team's potential. Unfortunately Wenger can't seem to motivate the players away from home this season. I believe any decent manager (including Wenger) will get more out of this team next season - this squad is certainly capable of securing more than 13 league points away from home. We do need at least one more (two would be ideal) established central defender next season.

Good God. That's such a ridiculous post that I'm not sure whether you're being serious or having a joke. "The club is in good shape." You mean apart from having a past it has been as a manager? Why is our home form more telling of the team's potential under Wenger than our away form? We haven't won more away points because of Wenger, so why would that change if he stays?

Post #485279  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:32 pm 

One for Daz here - I went to Fulham vs Brentford (Bees end naturally) and enjoyed it more than any Arsenal game for the last 5 years (Bar the FA Cup final which was bloody brilliant I have to say). How rare for a clubs away fans to be singing the owner's name in a positive way.

Post #485280  Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:38 pm 

tomc wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was at the Em that night in 2009. Really good evening. Sadly of that team only Coquelin and Wilshere went on to do anything at Arsenal. Let's hope for a better return with this team. And that you know who is long gone before he gets a chance to Wengerise them.

I was there too! Great team that.

Some great kids in the current crop. Behind AMN, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah (and possibly Da Silva and Dragomir - don't think Sheaf will make it and Bielik just can't stay fit), there are some great attacking players like Balogan, John-Jules, Amaechi, Coyle and the outstanding Smith-Rowe, who while not as technically outstanding at the same age as Jack is a lot more physically robust and a better athlete. From the current u23s and u18s I think there are collectively 5 or 6 who've got a chance.

Chelsea in the final will be tough though given how dominant they've been at this level.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12129, 12130, 12131, 12132, 12133, 12134, 12135 ... 14269  Next