Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 95 guests

Post #482761  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:49 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Warrior, recently when login on I've been getting a "This connection may not be secure" message displayed. Firefox on a Mac.

Yeah - Not a lot I can do about it though.

Why this happens is some members are using remotely linked avatars - or people are posting images from other sites which are not secure (SSL).

Our site is secure (as it uses SSL) but if there is content on the site from a remote server that isn't secure, most modern web browsers will bitch about it and display that warning.

The main thing is that our logins are encrypted and safe and also Google will rank it higher due to the SSL Certificate.

I could get rid of that error message one of two ways.

There is a plugin I could install which would force remote images to be from SSL sites only.

~Or~

I could make it so remote content isn't allowed at all - but that would be no fun.

You'll notice if you attempt to post a message, the site will be secure, as all that content on that page is from the SGAF server.

Post #482762  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm 

john1 wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Spurs are growing from strength to strength, while we are declining. Wenger cannot be held fully responsible for this changing state of North London, but at least fully responsible for the the latter part.

Errr - I'll agree with the we are declining bit, but Spurs going from strength to strength? Hmm, not until they actually win something. 56 years......... that's 56 years (only 30 years less than kiwi's age, and he's ancient).
Ipswich
Leeds
Derby
Nottm Forest
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Leicester

All 'lesser' clubs that have won the top division since Sp*rs last did.

Let's not over egg their pudding. Anchors.

PS I think I'm right in saying it was 2008 that they last won anything, and that was the League Cup.

Look at the confidence the team has. Look at the way they move about the park. Then, compare to us. If they keep going at this rate, they will eventually win something big. The EPL is not beyond them within the next 3 years. They just need to add strength and not lose key players like Kane and Eriksen. And this is something the club is more prepared to do, than Arsenal. I would not want them to win anything major. But based on what they are doing now, it is very possible. I'm looking at now, and projecting a possible future outcome. The past is a past. City didn't used to be feared as well. But, they are now more feared than MU. Their number of major trophies is definitely not anywhere close to MU. Liverpool used to be the best of England, and they have not won the EPL at all. I'm looking forward, not back. But I guess you know that.

Post #482763  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm 

The way I see it is that Wengers responsible for about 80% of the causes of arsenals decline. I respect other opinion but strongly believe this.

The board are culpable in as much as they treated Arsenal like a business too much rather than a sports team. They are also responsible for not making a very easy decision in letting Arsene go, bar that everything else is on Wenger.

If you credit him with changing football for ever, building the Emirates single handedly, revolutionising the club top to bottom blah blah blah then the vast majority of the blame needs to be attributed to him as well when it goes tits up. (...and it so has) When footballers are playing againest a better side the strategy ultimately is to keep it tight defensively, try and win every ball and wait for an opportunity. Since we sold Sol Campbell (first time) I never considered at any point we had enough defensive solidity to mount a serious challenge for anything since that date. It's been that long. This simple thing is about coaching, management and organisation. We have none of that.

When Wenger leaves we should all nosh a Pizza Hut all you can eat Buffett together or something to celebrate the ordeal being over. It seems inconceivable that another person could be Arsenal manager now and we could look to the future.

Post #482764  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 pm 

Kind of in the Daz boat as I couldn't care less if we won the Haribo cup or europa league.

What's the point of winning the europa league to gain entry to a competition that Wenger has no chance whatsoever of winning.

If losing in both those competitions meant that end of Wenger I'd take it. We are just going nowhere

Post #482765  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:16 pm 

I think there's a strong shout to suggest Pochettino is the best manager
In the league right now.

Oh and for all those who continue to think Granit Xhaka is "a bloody good player" I suggest you watch a video of Dembele for Spurs last night. Takes it off his back 4, distributes it well, drives forward always composed on the ball and rarely forgets to track back when an opposing player is running towards his penalty area.

Post #482766  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
In the league right now.

Oh and for all those who continue to think Granit Xhaka is "a bloody good player" I suggest you watch a video of Dembele for Spurs last night. Takes it off his back 4, distributes it well, drives forward always composed on the ball and rarely forgets to track back when an opposing player is running towards his penalty area.

Wrong about Poch, what has he won, what has he done AW hasn't done?

Spot on about Dembele I believ Xhaka has become a liability and needs replacing................

Post #482767  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
In the league right now.

Spot on about Dembele I believ Xhaka has become a liability and needs replacing................

If you had bothered to read "right now" you would not have committed the genetic fallacy.

You're welcome.

Post #482768  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm 

Daz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

If you had bothered to read "right now" you would not have committed the genetic fallacy.

You're welcome.

Well ifyou think he's referring to this very minute you could be right but he hasn't done anything AW has done in the past so I don't see what point your making unless you think the end of one game in solitude decides who is or isn't the best?

You know what you can do with your genetic fallacy!

Post #482769  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 pm 

I think it's relatively easy. Currently, if you had to choose the best manager in the PL it would be Pochettino.

I agree with this (I also prefer him to Pep but that's largely a personal preference for more physical and robust teams).

I also think that Real Madrid would probably agree too when it comes to choosing between:

a) Wenger

b) Pochettino

I'd go further and say I cannot imagine ANY big club who would go for option A at the end of the season, past glories notwithstanding.

Post #482770  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Oh and for all those who continue to think Granit Xhaka is "a bloody good player"

Reluctantly I am abandoning my wishful thinking that he's a swan, he's a swan, he's a swan, and coming to the conclusion that he is a one-legged hideous duckling given his inability to defend or attack which are generally liabilities in a midfielder of any type. This is a shame because I so long for a brilliant left-footed midfielder - still miss Stefan Schwarz.

Anyway, I found a website where you name a player and they will draw him for you on a t-shirt. My Tottenham supporting mate has Darren Anderton, it's really quite good.

I was wondering who I would have and think it's a toss up between the legendary Stevie Williams and Emanuel Adebayor which I would wear in deeply ironic tribute to the fact that he was one of the most enjoyably dislikable mercenary figures we ever had and the PL ever entertained.

Come on Ostersunds, do it for the Dostoevsky fans!!!!

Post #482771  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm 

It would be especially good if Ostersunds won because they could then use the headline THE IDIOT over a picture of Wenger.

Post #482772  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 pm 

Happy Valentine's Day, Bernard.

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 5.57 KB | Viewed 1616 times ]

Post #482773  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 pm 

While I hope we beat City in the league cup final, I'm not holding my breath. They are on pace to win all 3 domestic trophies. That feat wouldn't surprise anyone with the form they are in England but what about the CL?
Do they have a chance? And if so, could they be the first English side to win all 4 trophies in the same season? Pep knows the CL very well and knows what it takes to win it. Talentwise, there is no issue. Yes, Barcelona should be considered favorites but the way City are playing, I wouldn't count them out in the least.

Post #482774  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Didn’t think Bernard rated Pep?

Guardiola has done his stuff at huge or rich clubs. How can you not win the Bundesliga with Bayern (I'm being flippant as I know they don't win it every year. My point is the Champions League is the measure of a Bayern manager, not the poxy Bundesliga). He's a good coach and I'd now welcome him at Arsenal. But I'd rather have Pochettino.

Me too. Tottenham are an excellent team with great balance, pretty strong in every dept. He interviews well and doesn't come across as a bit of a knob. And sports the smartly casual look very well, just like myself.

Post #482775  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 pm 

john1 wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Spurs are growing from strength to strength, while we are declining. Wenger cannot be held fully responsible for this changing state of North London, but at least fully responsible for the the latter part.

Errr - I'll agree with the we are declining bit, but Spurs going from strength to strength? Hmm, not until they actually win something. 56 years......... that's 56 years (only 30 years less than kiwi's age, and he's ancient).
Ipswich Leeds Derby Nottm Forest Aston Villa Blackburn Leicester

PS I think I'm right in saying it was 2008 that they last won anything, and that was the League Cup.

Obviously a ploy by the leek eating Junior Sheep shagger to ensure a response ...so I'll oblige .
Correct about the age but hopelessly astray with the rest .

Common practice for the less educated to gloss over our own shortcomings by switching the focus .......... Man United lost at Newcastle tee he he ........ Spurs haven't won anything but they did win the Crufts Jubilee Cup blah blah much forced laughter

Tottenham might not have won anything for a while but at the present moment they are delivering value for money ..... to me that's all that matters .
Fast action , usually a few goals , structured game plan , very promising squad working cohesively ; all things to admire

....... meanwhile across town [ paying the highest admission fee in the land ] we get to watch our heroes get a ball from Čech then exchange 25 million passes before they cross the halfway line .

What you also have to realise John ....... most of those 'embarrassing trophies' Spurs collected were won in a pre TV era when most everyone were out playing sport and didn't have their fat arses glued to the couch watching Jerry Springer , or the Welsh Sheepdog trials .

Okey Dokey ...that's sorted that little poofter .

Post #482776  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 pm 

John wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Guardiola has done his stuff at huge or rich clubs. How can you not win the Bundesliga with Bayern (I'm being flippant as I know they don't win it every year. My point is the Champions League is the measure of a Bayern manager, not the poxy Bundesliga). He's a good coach and I'd now welcome him at Arsenal. But I'd rather have Pochettino.

Me too. Tottenham are an excellent team with great balance, pretty strong in every dept. He interviews well and doesn't come across as a bit of a knob. And sports the smartly casual look very well, just like myself.

How long has he been at Spurs? What has he won? What makes you think he's going to win anything this season? Do you seriously think if he lost his best forward and best midfielder he would still win something?

Anyone but Wenger but not just anyone. We must appoint as guaranteed winner.

Post #482777  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:45 pm 

Daz wrote:
Happy Valentine's Day, Bernard.

Many thanks. He would be the focus of my t-shirt.

Post #482778  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:45 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
John wrote:

How long has he been at Spurs? What has he won? What makes you think he's going to win anything this season? Do you seriously think if he lost his best forward and best midfielder he would still win something?

Not sure if they'll win anything no. But I would consider them a danger in the CL. And it's years since I thought the same of us. Last year for example I KNEW ( in the Bernard sense of the word) we were gone when we drew Bayern. No matter who Tottenham get in the quarterfinals, should they make it, I wouldn't be so sure.

Post #482779  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
John wrote:

We have to appoint a manger that he himself is a pull for players. We won’t (are unlikely) to be in the champions league so any new manager is going to have to be the sort players want to come and play for

Post #482780  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Anyone but Wenger but not just anyone.

Been taking lessons from the Yank ..?

Post #482781  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 pm 

Osterand away has all the current hallmarks of a 0-0 with us having 70% of the ball but having under 4 shots on target. I wouldn’t put a 1-0 defeat past us.

Post #482782  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Osterand away has all the current hallmarks of a 0-0 with us having 70% of the ball but having under 4 shots on target. I wouldn’t put a 1-0 defeat past us.

and it's not grass and most likely freezing cold......................

Post #482783  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Whoever got the job, wouldn't guarantee trophies.

But going on the evidence of his past performance, Pochettino gets his teams to play football I enjoy watching and is arguably a better fit for Arsenal as in my view he has shown he can build teams from a lower base than Guardiola. While I think practically any manager would get better performances and results from the same players in Arsenal's current squad, an element of rebuilding on what may be a tight budget (at least compared to the Manchester clubs and Chelsea) will be required from Wenger's successor. I'd have as much confidence in Pochettino doing that as I would in anyone else.

Unfortunately it's a pipe dream as I doubt we have any realistic hope of getting him.

Post #482784  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

Ipswich Leeds Derby Nottm Forest Aston Villa Blackburn Leicester

Obviously a ploy by the leek eating Junior Sheep shagger to ensure a response ...so I'll oblige .
Correct about the age but hopelessly astray with the rest .

Common practice for the less educated to gloss over our own shortcomings by switching the focus .......... Man United lost at Newcastle tee he he ........ Spurs haven't won anything but they did win the Crufts Jubilee Cup blah blah much forced laughter

Tottenham might not have won anything for a while but at the present moment they are delivering value for money ..... to me that's all that matters .
Fast action , usually a few goals , structured game plan , very promising squad working cohesively ; all things to admire

....... meanwhile across town [ paying the highest admission fee in the land ] we get to watch our heroes get a ball from Čech then exchange 25 million passes before they cross the halfway line .

What you also have to realise John ....... most of those 'embarrassing trophies' Spurs collected were won in a pre TV era when most everyone were out playing sport and didn't have their fat arses glued to the couch watching Jerry Springer , or the Welsh Sheepdog trials .

Okey Dokey ...that's sorted that little poofter .

:icon_mrgreen1:

Post #482785  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 pm 

Double post :icon_eek:

Post #482786  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:13 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

We certainly look like we are being left behind. I don’t believe any decent manager will not want a large cash injection.

Exactly, the new manager when he eventually does take over will probably be told here is your budget - £40/50M + the proceeds of player sales, Kroenke has been using Wenger as his shield for years, taking advantage of Wenger's stubborness and ego in thinking he can still "take us to the next level", meanwhile most of the fan base spend their time ranting and raving about Wenger, so it obviously worked then!. Silent Stan is not stupid.

The only possible speck of hope is that once Stan's shield is removed it may expose him a little more to the hostility of the fans and at that point he might decide to cash in and find a buyer, I doubt it though, he is known for not giving a toss what people think about him, one has to have hope though.

Post #482787  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 pm 

Hard to watch these champions league knock out games and see how far we are away in virtually every aspect of on pitch quality

Post #482788  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Whoever got the job, wouldn't guarantee trophies.

But going on the evidence of his past performance, Pochettino gets his teams to play football I enjoy watching and is arguably a better fit for Arsenal as in my view he has shown he can build teams from a lower base than Guardiola. While I think practically any manager would get better performances and results from the same players in Arsenal's current squad, an element of rebuilding on what may be a tight budget (at least compared to the Manchester clubs and Chelsea) will be required from Wenger's successor. I'd have as much confidence in Pochettino doing that as I would in anyone else.

Unfortunately it's a pipe dream as I doubt we have any realistic hope of getting him.

Poch himself has said he could never manage arsenal or Barcelona. I’d say quite a few top teams would be after him if he became available, and I could see him putting his espanyol connections aside to manage Barcelona long, long before he would manage us

Post #482789  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 pm 

It is difficult to look past English rams dominating the later stages of the champions league. Liverpool 4-0 away to Porto, that’s them in to the QF, City are basically there already. Chelsea may struggle v Barca. I make spurs favourites to go through v Juve. Man U still to come.
It could be PSG, Barca, Bayern and 4 English clubs.

Post #482790  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
It is difficult to look past English rams dominating the later stages of the champions league. Liverpool 4-0 away to Porto, that’s them in to the QF, City are basically there already. Chelsea may struggle v Barca. I make spurs favourites to go through v Juve. Man U still to come.

and the 4 English clubs will possibly have to play each other twice which added to the games they have between themselves till the end of the season will help us achieve 4th spot or 5th at worst.

Post #482791  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Rich wrote:

and the 4 English clubs will possibly have to play each other twice which added to the games they have between themselves till the end of the season will help us achieve 4th spot or 5th at worst.

£50 we wont get 4th?.

:7laughter:

Post #482792  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 pm 

People may have seen Ryan Mason having to retire from football at 26 following a fractured skull. A storey that has come out from this is the support Petr Čech have to Mason immediately after the event and continuing since.
Čech as a professional is someone I am proud to have represent my club I just wish he was better at his job. It doesn’t change my respect for him.

Post #482793  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

Basically we need a new "Wenger" because with the financial model that Kroenke has forced upon the club it will be impossible to buy our way back into the CL.

Worrying that it appears the English teams could be about to start dominating the CL, to some extent anyway, as that will just allow the likes of City to pull further away and Spurs to close the gap (financially) on us very quickly.

Ivan has a hell of a job on his hands to get us back as a regular CL club, let alone one that can win either the PL or CL.

We certainly look like we are being left behind. I don’t believe any decent manager will not want a large cash injection.

Like an anenome swaying back and forth on the Great Barrier Reef ... make up your mind .

In your previous post you say we need ' a Spurs type manager " who can get more from the squad ......... okay sounds good
..... so why then does this same bloke need a large cash injection .

Post #482794  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:44 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Like an anenome swaying back and forth on the Great Barrier Reef ... make up your mind .

In your previous post you say we need ' a Spurs type manager " who can get more from the squad ......... okay sounds good
..... so why then does this same bloke need a large cash injection .

Some of the squad are not good enough or as I stated unable to change. I think even poch spends money. Did they not buy Sanchez Llorente Aurier under him. No one player in - Čech - for him like Wenger.

Post #482795  Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:35 am 

Trump wants to have a federal law that allows concealed weapon holders to be able to go state to state DESPITE what the state's gun law is. Apparently the NRA now has a perfect storm scenario. Legislature is Republican. Supreme Court has a conservative majority and a right wing, xenophobe in the White House.

Then, a kid in Florida kills at least 17 at his High School. You can't make it up.

Post #482796  Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:44 am 

I'm predicting a win for us tonight and spend the reverse tie with a reserve squad in anticipation for the league cup final. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #482797  Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm predicting a win for us tonight and spend the reverse tie with a reserve squad in anticipation for the league cup final. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. :icon_mrgreen:

We don't f////n win it and the Manager should tender his resignation. But what is normal at other big clubs has no application to Wenger. Conclusion - we are not a big club.

Post #482798  Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am 

Didn't know that Ostersunds had an English manager called Graham Potter.

Maybe if they lose we could tempt him over here. In dog years he has won loads of stuff. I'd like to see Bellerin sticking his new copy of The Brothers Karamazov on Instagram.

Come on you Osters!

Post #482799  Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am 

Hand on heart is there really anybody who wouldn't laugh themselves silly if we lost?

Post #482800  Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

£50 we wont get 4th?.

:7laughter:

Thinking we'll finish 4th is taking over-optimism to radical extremes. To suggest we'll finish 5th isn't quite as barmy a prediction, but to say "5th at worst" makes it more barmy than would have been the case without the "at worst". Everything, in my view, currently points to us finishing 6th.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12067, 12068, 12069, 12070, 12071, 12072, 12073 ... 14269  Next