Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 99 guests

Post #482721  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Is Lacazette injured?

Just saw he's out for up to 6 weeks :20hospitals:

Quote:
Arsenal said in a statement this afternoon: "Striker Alex Lacazette had an arthroscopy on his left knee in London on Tuesday morning.

Give Eddie Nketiah a start against the Swedes.

Post #482722  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm 

Goonie wrote:
socrates wrote:
To me the Aubameyang signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

It is very much a Wenger signing of recent seasons - similar to Sanchez, Özil and Lacazette. Big money for established superstars. If only he would do it every transfer window.

I was thinking more age-wise. He's 29 in June.

Post #482723  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Özil, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mhikitaryan, jack and Ramsey all worth keeping. The rest are past their best or not good enough to regularly play in a team that intends to compete for the title.

At the moment we still have three more slots for non-homegrown players in the first team squad. Would like to see us strengthen our defence (GK, CB and DCM) in the summer. On paper we are looking very good attacking-wise.

'on paper' being the key part there. I think our attack is very unbalanced. Wenger seems to have created an attack with good individuals but no idea how to form it in to a cohesive attacking unit and has an abundance of players with a very similar skill set.
I've long thought that Ramsey and Wilshere struggle to play in the same side. Lacazette and Aubamayang look similar, as do Özil and Mkhitaryan.
There is no natural width, no players who dribble and beat a man, giroud gone loses the target man in the squad
I'd be looking to definitely add a couple of young quick wide men in the summer. Pace, trickery, dribbling and an end product. Obviously everyone is looking for players like that. Ask defenders what they like to face and what they hate to. They are ok facing the attacking style Arsenal have because 95% of it is in front of them and little movement. In the small moments we get it spot on most defences can't cope so there is little to lose any sleep over for them. They hate facing pace and direct dribbling.

Post #482724  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm 

Juventus 2-0 spurs inside 8 minutes.

What can we do to tempt allegri to take over from wenger?!

Post #482725  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm 

Hi Rich, I know you're arguably part of the fan titillation culture with transfer gossip. But I'm sorry as I don't think it's too much to do with the players. You clearly think deeply about styles of play, tactics, and players who would fit them. But what's the point? If you named a world eleven you'd want as the team, with Wenger as manager we'd finish sixth. I strongly suspect you realise it as you've hinted you do. But I'm with kiwipete's reply to one of your posts last night. What's the point?

Players aren't the most important factor. The manager is. Let's start discussing players once Wenger has finally sodded off.

Post #482726  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 pm 

So who’s the best manager in the premier league?

Post #482727  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:

Pep

Post #482728  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 pm 

Didn’t think Bernard rated Pep?

Post #482729  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hi Rich, I know you're arguably part of the fan titillation culture with transfer gossip. But I'm sorry as I don't think it's too much to do with the players. You clearly think deeply about styles of play, tactics, and players who would fit them. But what's the point? If you named a world eleven you'd want as the team, with Wenger as manager we'd finish sixth. I strongly suspect you realise it as you've hinted you do. But I'm with kiwipete's reply to one of your posts last night. What's the point?

Players aren't the most important factor. The manager is. Let's start discussing players once Wenger has finally sodded off.

Hi Bernard, I agree with a lot of what you say, but I still enjoy talking about football and arsenal. I’m bored of constantly writing and talking about the same mistakes and having the same resigned nature with arsenal so occasionally I let my mind drift in to what it could be or what it would take to fix us.
Clearly nothing changes until wenger leaves and I would like to see a new manager with the same players but at the same time there are some things that happen on the pitch that can’t be wenger’s fault. I blame wenger for creating a culture with no consequences for mistakes but when Čech miss kicks straight to a Swansea player to score it is clear we need a new gk.

If we don’t talk about players because wenger is the problem then we are only left to talk about wenger and the board. That depresses me more than pouring over the mistakes of our players.

But for some talk about the board I think gazidis has taken a lot of flak and some of it very justified but I am of the opinion that he does want change. He has made some good behind the scenes appointments and I think he does want wenger gone. Put it this way, of all board members I feel gazidis is one of the few who do want us to push on and win things

Post #482730  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 pm 

So Pep could take our squad to a title but Wenger wouldn’t win it with city’s, I think I get it now.

Post #482731  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm 

Didn’t think Bernard rated Pep?

Guardiola has done his stuff at huge or rich clubs. How can you not win the Bundesliga with Bayern (I'm being flippant as I know they don't win it every year. My point is the Champions League is the measure of a Bayern manager, not the poxy Bundesliga). He's a good coach and I'd now welcome him at Arsenal. But I'd rather have Pochettino.

Post #482732  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Juventus 2-0 spurs inside 8 minutes.

What can we do to tempt allegri to take over from wenger?!

2-1 now. Kane scores again.
To be fair since they went 2-0 down spurs has been the dominant team and have had enough chances to be level at least

Post #482733  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Having mentioned him, against Spurs what was our plan B way of playing late in the game. We have now taken the Giroud type of play out of the equation.

I realise we actually wasted a couple of chances late on despite not having a plan B so maybe it was not such an issue.

However I would like to see us try Eddie or someone else who dribbled in the box as plan B in the future. We never really tried a lot of high balls either probably because no one is much of a threat in the air. We might have spent some money but we may have restricted our ability to change direction during a game which really is a small step backwards.

Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.

Mystified he may be little Granty Boy .... but Arsene's vision was such that he knew Lacazette was going to need a knee operation that would keep him out for six weeks .

"Six weeks "......translated ....that means we will see Lacazette back playing sometime in November .

Diaby Mkhitaryan 2 [ Welbeck ] our only striker on the European front .

Aubameyang ineligible , Lacazette injured , Sanchez or Giroud sold ..." all our chickens have come home to roost " ... big time .

Post #482734  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 pm 

Spurs back to 2-2. They deserve it. They rode their luck certainly with Juve missing a huge penalty right on half time for 3-1, but hard to not be impressed with how spurs have taken the game to Juve after a nervous start. Can’t remeber the last time we did that to any semi decent team in Europe let alone one of the best.

I always thought spurs had a thin squad and huge luck with injuries but this season they have missed their two first choice full backs from last year, alderweireld has been out for a while and wanyama our for a long time. Their forward players are consistently fit and relentless in their press for 90 minutes. It’s clear to see every player knows exactly what he’s doing with and without the ball.

Post #482735  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 pm 

The other thing spurs do is the far k side of the game. Their players continually dive and always look for the quick tactical foul when they lose possession.

Post #482736  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs back to 2-2. They deserve it. They rode their luck certainly with Juve missing a huge penalty right on half time for 3-1, but hard to not be impressed with how spurs have taken the game to Juve after a nervous start. Can’t remeber the last time we did that to any semi decent team in Europe let alone one of the best.

I always thought spurs had a thin squad and huge luck with injuries but this season they have missed their two first choice full backs from last year, alderweireld has been out for a while and wanyama our for a long time. Their forward players are consistently fit and relentless in their press for 90 minutes. It’s clear to see every player knows exactly what he’s doing with and without the ball.

Reminds me of our performance in Milan 10:years ago ,

Obviously the ultimate currency will be what this team win and who they keep out of their stars , but any gooner who can’t see this is a club on the up is living on a river in Egypt

Post #482737  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm 

Found this funny today.
Wenger has ‘nearly signed’ so many players that he is going to nearly sign the son of a player he nearly signed.

It was in relation to Justin Kluivert who is doing good things at Ajax

Post #482738  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 pm 

Even if Wenger had an ounce of self awareness he would look at this in contrast to our first leg capitulations with embarrassment , whatever the final score in the tie this is how to play in Europe

Post #482739  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Rich wrote:

Obviously the ultimate currency will be what this team win and who they keep out of their stars , but any gooner who can’t see this is a club on the up is living on a river in Egypt

Bit unfair that on people living on rivers in Egypt.

Post #482740  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

At the moment we still have three more slots for non-homegrown players in the first team squad. Would like to see us strengthen our defence (GK, CB and DCM) in the summer. On paper we are looking very good attacking-wise.

'on paper' being the key part there. I think our attack is very unbalanced. Wenger seems to have created an attack with good individuals but no idea how to form it in to a cohesive attacking unit and has an abundance of players with a very similar skill set.
I've long thought that Ramsey and Wilshere struggle to play in the same side. Lacazette and Aubamayang look similar, as do Özil and Mkhitaryan.
There is no natural width, no players who dribble and beat a man, giroud gone loses the target man in the squad
I'd be looking to definitely add a couple of young quick wide men in the summer. Pace, trickery, dribbling and an end product. Obviously everyone is looking for players like that. Ask defenders what they like to face and what they hate to. They are ok facing the attacking style Arsenal have because 95% of it is in front of them and little movement. In the small moments we get it spot on most defences can't cope so there is little to lose any sleep over for them. They hate facing pace and direct dribbling.

No need to be left wondering. one of either Eddie or Reiss should start every EPL game from now to the end of the season. Lets ask the questions now about their ability. They have dribbling and will move around the pitch. Keen as mustard. The EPL is gone but probably only Wenger believes we can make top 4.

Post #482741  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yep, all of spurs team are paid at least half what their talent deserves. I’m surprised more big teams hasn’t come in for their players but they will get picked off. Alderweireld is probably next. I’d be surprised if Real Madrid don’t make a huge bidfor Kane.
But spurs have lost some players, they have sold at the absolute peak price and crucially reinvested that money.
The key will be Kane and Pochettino. Real Madrid may be interested in both this summer.
Smaller teams generally get players picked off as soon as they win something.

Post #482742  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 pm 

socrates wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.

Hi Gaz,

To me the Aubameyang signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

The fact that we were so comprehensively outplayed by the Spuds and now have little chance of a CL spot coupled with the fact that he can't play in the Europa League means that within two games he has become something of an irrelevance for this season.

Not the first time in his career he has looked for the kick start in January. Asharvin worked but this season and last there are too many problems across the squad. He has run out of tricks. As has been said Aubameyang is quite old. Remember that after 30 years of age Wenger used to ditch players.

Looking at all the problems across the club and squad, the only thing left to try is to get a new manager. All the tricks have been tried and failed. Over to you Arsene.

Post #482743  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 pm 

I assume you are shopping for a new manager. If so I think it depends on a number of factors. Pep has it going on with a very expensive squad and some simply great players. But over at Crystal Palace Roy H has done a great job as has the Huddersfield manager. There are a number of clubs where just staying up is a great effort. So much depends on the current squad of players at the relevant club as to how I judge the best manager.

Lets move to our particular club. The trouble I now have is that across the squad we don't have many great players. Pep may not succeed with our squad. GK and defense wise we need some real money injected. Unbalanced across midfield and only one style of attack. I don't know whether he could take our squad from pretenders to challengers. I believe many of our players are either not good enough or so damaged goods they could not change.

Therefore if we want a new manager I think it has to be a Spurs type manager who can take okay players to a new level. The Raineri effect at Leicester as an example. But I suspect that over the following 2 years from a new manager being appointed we would need to churn some 7-10 players from the current squad.

Post #482744  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Therefore if we want a new manager I think it has to be a Spurs type manager who can take okay players to a new level. The Raineri effect at Leicester as an example. But I suspect that over the following 2 years from a new manager being appointed we would need to churn some 7-10 players from the current squad.

Basically we need a new "Wenger" because with the financial model that Kroenke has forced upon the club it will be impossible to buy our way back into the CL.

Worrying that it appears the English teams could be about to start dominating the CL, to some extent anyway, as that will just allow the likes of City to pull further away and Spurs to close the gap (financially) on us very quickly.

Ivan has a hell of a job on his hands to get us back as a regular CL club, let alone one that can win either the PL or CL.

Post #482745  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:

Basically we need a new "Wenger" because with the financial model that Kroenke has forced upon the club it will be impossible to buy our way back into the CL.

Ivan has a hell of a job on his hands to get us back as a regular CL club, let alone one that can win either the PL or CL.

The way I see it Kroenke is in a win win situation .... he doesn't have to invest big $$$$$ into the club , because no matter what results we churn out , type of football we play Arsenal Football Club will always be an attractive commodity .

Usmanov , some filthy rich Thai , Indian , Nigerian whoever would be busting a gut to grab the reins ... if he put the club up for sale tomorrow he'd be inundated with offers ... he'd double his investment .

Our value rises no matter what happens on the pitch . So he can sit smugly in the stands with his stupid hairpiece , wispy moustache and bide his time .

Just as Spurs were fortunate to get Pochettino we were just as misfortunate to inherit Kroenke .

Nina Smith and Fitzman have a lot to answer for .

Post #482746  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Worrying that it appears the English teams could be about to start dominating the CL, to some extent anyway, as that will just allow the likes of City to pull further away and Spurs to close the gap (financially) on us very quickly.

We certainly look like we are being left behind. I don’t believe any decent manager will not want a large cash injection.

Post #482747  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 am 

So Pep could take our squad to a title but Wenger wouldn’t win it with city’s, I think I get it now.

:icon_mrgreen: When you have got the biggest purse in England (arguably the world) to buy players it takes more than rolling the ball out on the practice pitch to win you know? There is the matter of which multi millionaire, top class player to put on the team sheet. hehe

Post #482748  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 am 

Rich wrote:
Found this funny today.
Wenger has ‘nearly signed’ so many players that he is going to nearly sign the son of a player he nearly signed.

The vacillating guy has lots of stories to tell

Post #482749  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

The way I see it Kroenke is in a win win situation .... he doesn't have to invest big $$$$$ into the club , because no matter what results we churn out , type of football we play Arsenal Football Club will always be an attractive commodity .

Usmanov , some filthy rich Thai , Indian , Nigerian whoever would be busting a gut to grab the reins ... if he put the club up for sale tomorrow he'd be inundated with offers ... he'd double his investment .

Our value rises no matter what happens on the pitch . So he can sit smugly in the stands with his stupid hairpiece , wispy moustache and bide his time .

Just as Spurs were fortunate to get Pochettino we were just as misfortunate to inherit Kroenke .

Nina Smith and Fitzman have a lot to answer for .

misfortunate, now that's a new one :icon_mrgreen:

Post #482750  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 am 

Spurs are growing from strength to strength, while we are declining. Wenger cannot be held fully responsible for this changing state of North London, but at least fully responsible for the the latter part.

Post #482751  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 am 

If anyone of their fans start doing the '99 Man Utd at Juve comparisons I'll vomit. Arsenal move into a new stadium and drop, sperz are in a new stadium while waiting for theirs and get better. Their 5th table showing has to be placed in its proper context. Man City is in its own league. The league title was won before it got started. Sperz are only 4 points from 2nd place Man Utd. 2nd to 5th is pretty tight and a couple matches here or there changes and the table can change weekly from here on out for the CL places.

I have to assume they also don't have money to spend. So that can't be used as an excuse. The big, glaring difference between us and them when we were moving was belief. We went from no worse than 2nd to top 4, they went from no CL to top 4 and those opposite trends is where belief (lack or increased) comes in.

Things may change for them if their manager of Kane goes. I think the most important person they have is the manager. They can lose Kane and I think still be formidable. They'll get a pretty penny for him and I think they won't make the same mistake with the money that they did when Bale was sold.

They could decline noticeably with no Kane. That is the logical view but their manager is good enough to counter that. Klopp seems to getting along fairly well without Coutinho. We may even end up with a better attack sans Sanchez.

Post #482752  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Found this funny today.

The vacillating guy has lots of stories to tell

His book will be bigger than the bible and just as fanciful.

Post #482753  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If anyone of their fans start doing the '99 Man Utd at Juve comparisons I'll vomit. Arsenal move into a new stadium and drop, sperz are in a new stadium while waiting for theirs and get better. Their 5th table showing has to be placed in its proper context. Man City is in its own league. The league title was won before it got started. Sperz are only 4 points from 2nd place Man Utd. 2nd to 5th is pretty tight and a couple matches here or there changes and the table can change weekly from here on out for the CL places.

I have to assume they also don't have money to spend. So that can't be used as an excuse. The big, glaring difference between us and them when we were moving was belief. We went from no worse than 2nd to top 4, they went from no CL to top 4 and those opposite trends is where belief (lack or increased) comes in.

Things may change for them if their manager of Kane goes. I think the most important person they have is the manager. They can lose Kane and I think still be formidable. They'll get a pretty penny for him and I think they won't make the same mistake with the money that they did when Bale was sold.

They could decline noticeably with no Kane. That is the logical view but their manager is good enough to counter that. Klopp seems to getting along fairly well without Coutinho. We may even end up with a better attack sans Sanchez.

Kane may not want a move. I have not seen an stories linking him to RM other than stories out of Real. No agent wining and dining at Real. Maybe he has no interest in such a move at the moment.

Post #482754  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
They can lose Kane and I think still be formidable.
They could decline noticeably with no Kane.

Thanks for clearing that one up. I'd go further and say they could either win, lose or draw their remaining fixtures this season and either make or not make the top 4.

Post #482755  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Spurs are growing from strength to strength, while we are declining. Wenger cannot be held fully responsible for this changing state of North London, but at least fully responsible for the the latter part.

Errr - I'll agree with the we are declining bit, but Spurs going from strength to strength? Hmm, not until they actually win something. 56 years......... that's 56 years (only 30 years less than kiwi's age, and he's ancient).
Ipswich
Leeds
Derby
Nottm Forest
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Leicester

All 'lesser' clubs that have won the top division since Sp*rs last did.

Let's not over egg their pudding. Anchors.

PS I think I'm right in saying it was 2008 that they last won anything, and that was the League Cup.

Post #482756  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am 

john1 wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Errr - I'll agree with the we are declining bit, but Spurs going from strength to strength? Hmm, not until they actually win something. 56 years......... that's 56 years (only 30 years less than kiwi's age, and he's ancient).
Ipswich
Leeds
Derby
Nottm Forest
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Leicester

All 'lesser' clubs that have won the top division since Sp*rs last did.

Let's not over egg their pudding. Anchors.

PS I think I'm right in saying it was 2008 that they last won anything, and that was the League Cup.

And they're showing the following on their website as part of their 'honours':

OTHER HONOURS
Southern League Champions: 1899/1900
Western League Champions: 1903/1904
London League Premier Division Champions: 1902/1903
Football League South 'C' Division Champions: 1939/1940
Football League South Champions: 1943/1944, 1944/1945
Southern District Charity Cup Winners: 1901/1902, 1904/1905 (joint), 1906/1907
Dewar Shield Winners: 1901/1902, 1933/1934
London Challenge Cup Winners: 1910/1911, 1928/1929
Anglo-Italian League Cup-Winners Cup Winners: 1971/1972
Norwich Charity Cup Winners: 1919/1920
Norwich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1946/1947, 1949/1950 (joint)
Ipswich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1951/1952 (joint)
Costa Del Sol Tournament Winners: 1965, 1966
Nolia Cup (Sweden) Winners: 1977
Japan Cup Winners: 1979
Sun International Challenge Trophy (Swaziland) Winners: 1983
Peace Cup (Korea) Winners: 2005
Vodacom Challenge (South Africa) Winners: 2007
Feyenoord Jubileum Tournament (Holland) Winners: 2008
Barclays Asia Trophy (China) Winners: 2009

EMBARRASING MUCH?? :1laughter:

Post #482757  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
...... Maybe he has no interest in such a move at the moment.

Oh he does, may be sooner than you think.

Post #482758  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm 

Warrior, recently when login on I've been getting a "This connection may not be secure" message displayed. Firefox on a Mac.

Post #482759  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 pm 

No apologies for wanting Ostersunds to thrash us because:

1) Wenger Out.

2) Their players are contractually obliged to read Dostoevsky.

Post #482760  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

I'm as anti-Wenger as anyone but I don't hold him "fully responsible" for Arsenal's decline. I see it as a joint effort between Wenger and Kroenke. Stan lacks ambition for the club's trophy haul, but critically is the reason Wenger still holds the job he does.

One may hold Wenger as mainly to blame, or Kroenke as mainly to blame, or about equally to blame. But whatever the views of people on that debate regarding the balance of the blame, I think it should be seen as a joint effort between them.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12066, 12067, 12068, 12069, 12070, 12071, 12072 ... 14269  Next