Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 106 guests

Post #482681  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 am 

Rich wrote:
We’ve lost as many away league games this season as we did between 2001-2005

Well that has cheered me up. Wenger loves setting records.

Post #482682  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

5th or 6th is becoming our new level. If we get 5th or worse this year, I fear it will be consistent. The club needs a shake up.

Unless we go on an unlikely unbeaten run, can't see us finishing top 5. Unlikely for Burnley, Leicester or Everton to catch us either. 6th will get us Europa Cup again?

Post #482683  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

5th or 6th is becoming our new level. If we get 5th or worse this year, I fear it will be consistent. The club needs a shake up.

Unless we go on an unlikely unbeaten run, can't see us finishing top 5. Unlikely for Burnley, Leicester or Everton to catch us either. 6th will get us Europa Cup again?

5th gets Europa. League cup and FA Cup winners get Europa. The league cup place will go to 6th placed team if City beat us - so as long as we finish 6th Europa is guaranteed

Post #482684  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

5th gets Europa. League cup and FA Cup winners get Europa. The league cup place will go to 6th placed team if City beat us - so as long as we finish 6th Europa is guaranteed

Oh, how far down we have gone to, when a Europa place is now a trophy :20hospitals:

Post #482685  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:01 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Oh, how far down we have gone to, when a Europa place is now a trophy :20hospitals:

Getting Wenger out the door this summer will feel like winning a trophy. We should have an open top bus parade if it happens.

Post #482686  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

5 points off 5th place Chelsea them having a game in hand, that's a logical view. Chelsea are not playing well, hence 5th so they look catchable to some extent.

If we do finish 6th I wonder how that goes down within the club? Specifically, with regards to Wenger and a new contract. Maybe its more hoping than anything else, that he will call it quits. He can't be that blinded to see that it will take a herculean effort, a new defense and a lot of mental strength to even make top 4. A title anytime soon is a fantasy with the clubs ahead of us.

Post #482687  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm 

On the other hand both Man U and Chelsea have worse teams than us imo.

Man U will get worse and I believe without checking that they have the hardest run in but Chelsea if they sack Conte could have a small revival. Luckily we're not too far from them and I predict that we will overtake them.

So that's 4th place in the bag :20hospitals:

Then I woke up and remembered that we only have the Mancs to play in the top 6. One at home one away.

We can do it but you know what comes next .....................

Post #482688  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:28 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
As far as Ancellotti being at the match, I think its just as likely sperz will lose their manager as we ours. He could be there to see them. It wouldn't be a shock to anyone if either the sperz manager or Kane moves to Spain.

A game Sat. that could have been a lot more amusing for Carlo.

Post #482689  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm 

Very little fun surrounding arsenal at the moment so why don’t dabble in some speculative transfers targets. A guy on Twitter (I know!) who portrays himself as in the know (I know!), but called the Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan deals before anyone else says that this is our target list for the summer:
Timo horn
Manolas
Malcom
Max Meyer
TOBY ALDERWIELD

Post #482690  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:24 pm 

Our results against the best on the league are once again miles behind par. It has been like this for years, it must cost us a 10 point swing minimum on the top 5 each season.

The minimum aim should be win your home games and don’t lose away.

Our usual season is lose the away games and draw the home ones.
1 point away v the top 5 with old Trafford to come
5 points at home v the top 5 with city to come

With the way the fixtures are we could find ourselves 11 points adrift in 6th before we play City.

We were embarrassingly off the pace last season but this year has plunged us to new depths. It really isn’t a top 6 now. We are in our own special league of 1 in 6th

Post #482691  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 pm 

Ollie kicks off for Chelsea.................

Post #482692  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 pm 

In terms of willingly selling a player has wenger ever done a worse deal than selling szczesny to Juve for £10m?

People laugh at Jose for getting rid of de bruyn and salah but at least in his defence those players weren’t good enough to get in his chelsea team at the time. Szczesny was sent to get experience and to mature - which is exactly what he did and then we sell him for a bargain price when we are crying out for a long term gk.

Post #482693  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Very little fun surrounding arsenal at the moment so why don’t dabble in some speculative transfers targets. A guy on Twitter (I know!) who portrays himself as in the know (I know!), but called the Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan deals before anyone else says that this is our target list for the summer:
Timo horn
Manolas
Malcom
Max Meyer
TOBY ALDERWIELD

Hi Rich,

Which guy is it on twitter?

Post #482694  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Timo horn
Manolas
Malcom
Max Meyer
TOBY ALDERWIELD

Hi Rich,

Twitter handle is The Football Mole. The other to look at is The Plug AFC

Both claim or appear to have a source at the club where they get their info. I haven’t followed them for long, just the last window and all the information they gave was good. The way they both write isn’t like your usual guy who pretends to be ‘in the know’

If you just like reading any arsenal news they are worth following - Make up your own mind how much weight you give anything

Post #482695  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:40 pm 

Giroud with a very Giroud like assist for hazard.

Post #482696  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Having mentioned him, against Spurs what was our plan B way of playing late in the game. We have now taken the Giroud type of play out of the equation.

I realise we actually wasted a couple of chances late on despite not having a plan B so maybe it was not such an issue.

However I would like to see us try Eddie or someone else who dribbled in the box as plan B in the future. We never really tried a lot of high balls either probably because no one is much of a threat in the air. We might have spent some money but we may have restricted our ability to change direction during a game which really is a small step backwards.

Post #482697  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Twitter handle is The Football Mole. The other to look at is The Plug AFC

Both claim or appear to have a source at the club where they get their info. I haven’t followed them for long, just the last window and all the information they gave was good. The way they both write isn’t like your usual guy who pretends to be ‘in the know’

If you just like reading any arsenal news they are worth following - Make up your own mind how much weight you give anything

The Mole guy was posting this summer that Lemar was 100% done. So whether or not he has any inside info who knows, but I'd take it all with a massive pinch of salt.

Post #482698  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 pm 

tomc wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Getting Wenger out the door this summer will feel like winning a trophy. We should have an open top bus parade if it happens.

Wenger might smell this coming so he will probably sign a 2 year contract extension before we exit the European games.

I can see it now - we beat Man City in the cup and Kroenke personally gives him another 2 years the next day. I would love to read the forum on that day.

Post #482699  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Our medical team is now much much more advanced than it is, so I think bar perhaps minor changes to Wenger's training methods, our injury prone players are just that. Rambo has extraordinary stamina but its hamstrings and groins that are the same repeated injuries for him, so perhaps that's the ongoing long term impact of having his leg snapped into by arch orc Shawcross. Most of our other players seem to have greater variety of injuries that would suggest less of a long term problem, bar the ongoing issue of Kos's tendons, and poor old Santi.

Accepting your point. What do you do with players like Wellbeck - retain them and eat up a lot of salary or look for a full fit replacement. He is not the only player at the club like this.

I'd say Welbeck has the rest of the season to prove his worth. Two cruciate injuries is hard to come back from, but there is no doubt that his combination of attributes makes him a very useful player when fit, even if a flawed and inelegant one. If he can stay fit til the summer, i'd assume he'll be here next year. With Aubameyang being unavailable for the Europa League, Welbeck could yet significantly rebuild his reputation.

Post #482700  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am not with Lom on the explanation it is all the boards fault.

Just for the record, I do not exonerate Wenger, particularly from 2013ish onwards. But I do feel that the board's self-interested parsimony 2003-2013 was far more damaging than any of Wenger's failings in that time. Now? I'd replace both given the choice, but Wenger has looked a busted flush for long enough to make it very hard to make an argument for retaining his services.

Post #482701  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
lomekian wrote:

The key is that Wenger is no longer the sole master of his own destiny. The club's recent hirings mean he can be removed without leaving a massive black hole with Steve Bould offering the only modern footballing expertise after his departure. The club's structure made him unassailable. Now he can actually be held to account. Its a farce that the behind the scenes changes that we ALL wanted took so long to happen, but the fact they have massively increase the likelihood of his departure...because the club is now ready for it. This means that whatever his KPIs are, there is now at last some potential consequence to not meeting them. Sadly for Wenger, they've come in as he's finally started underachieving by any measurable criteria bar net transfer spend, but its about bloody time, because any staff member of any organisation with complete autonomy can go a bit Louis XIX after 20 years...

Wenger is known for not breaking contracts. So, would he do that now? From his history of stubborness and him liking to be a man of his word I don't see him leaving on his own.

My guess is creating a structure that can see Wenger not a important is Gazidis' doing.

With regards to him being shown the door, that kind of decision would mean Stan would have to give the OK. As far as I know he's happy with Wenger unless I am not privy to new information.

So, I think its unlikely to see Wenger leave before his contract is finished.

I didn't say it would be at his own behest. Much Like Wenger is with players, Stan is super loyal with coaches & GMs until he changes his mind and then they are toast, regardless of what went before. Wenger is achieving diminishing sporting returns and accordingly comparatively undermining Kroenke's asset, particularly in comparison with John Henry's (and the two hate each other). I still think its top 4 or Europa League win or bust.

Post #482702  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
We are in our own special league of 1 in 6th

I just looked at the table and you're right. In sixth place Arsenal are 7 points behind the fifth placed team Tottenham, with a goal difference worse than them by 13. In effect that contrast in goal difference, which I don't see us making up, means we'll have to win 8 more points than them over the last 11 games of the season. How likely is that? Not at all in my view.

But Arsenal are 9 points better off than the seventh placed team Burnley, with a superior goal difference to them of 18. That means to overtake Arsenal, Burnley are going to have to win 10 more points than us over the last 11 games. It's just not going to happen. So you're correct. Arsenal are miles off fifth place, and even further away from seventh place. I'd say the chances of Arsenal not finishing sixth are extremely small. Probably much less than 'extremely small'.

Post #482703  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
Timo horn
Manolas
Malcom
Max Meyer
TOBY ALDERWIELD

Only the latter would be as shock.

Timo Horn is a decent keeper on an upward trajectory with a friendly release clause -even more so if Koln go down.
Manolas we have been after since before he went to Roma, and we tried to get him in jan.
Malcom has been eyed up by us and spurs for 18 months.
Max Meyer was scouted by us a lot a couple of years ago. His form has dropped off, but he'd be on a free.

Post #482704  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
Very little fun surrounding arsenal at the moment so why don’t dabble in some speculative transfers targets.

I got excited when we signed Ray Hankin NOW such is my apathy I couldn't give a sh**t who we sign ; nothing will change .

Until we sign a man mountain midfielder and learn to attack at pace we will produce the same sterile performances .

What about Everton , Chelsea cup final you scream ..... sure once in a while the stars align but all too often Bournemouth , Swansea , Spurs , West Brom performances rear their ugly heads .

Post #482705  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 pm 

I hear ya Lom but Stan has stuck with managers with multiple bad seasons in the past. We simply don't know what his "line" is with Arsenal? Maybe it is as you say. A manager of his stature getting the sack with just a year left on his contract? Hmmm...not so sure. I could easily see Stan not renewing his contract in 18 months.

Remains to be seen, 6th place seems our place this season unless we go on an incredible run and Chelsea implodes a bit. Neither of which will likely happen but the squad has surprised us in the past when 4th place seemed not in us in the winter.

Post #482706  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 am 

If you had the ability to restructure our squad, money no object, how many of this current squad would you keep in order to create a team who put in a genuine title challenge? Ignore the manager situation because I know we could sign a world 11 but not challenge while wenger is manager. But how many of this squad are simply not good enough?
Compare that to Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, spurs - who I would estimate have at least 5-6 players each in their starting 11 good enough for a title challenge. For us it is maybe 1 or 2

Even if/when wenger goes there is huge work to do with this squad. As much optimism as there was in January all we really did was replace our best player with an inferior one who’s best position is the same as our best player and signed a very good striker which has shunted our other high cost striker to the bench.

When you see Kolasinac and Lacazette on the bench and potential midfields with Wilshere and Ramsey this team has hardly changed in the last 5 years

Post #482707  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 am 

Rich wrote:
If you had the ability to restructure our squad, money no object, how many of this current squad would you keep in order to create a team who put in a genuine title challenge? Ignore the manager situation because I know we could sign a world 11 but not challenge while wenger is manager. But how many of this squad are simply not good enough?
Compare that to Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, spurs - who I would estimate have at least 5-6 players each in their starting 11 good enough for a title challenge. For us it is maybe 1 or 2

Özil, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mhikitaryan, jack and Ramsey all worth keeping. The rest are past their best or not good enough to regularly play in a team that intends to compete for the title.

Post #482708  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I hear ya Lom but Stan has stuck with managers with multiple bad seasons in the past. We simply don't know what his "line" is with Arsenal? Maybe it is as you say. A manager of his stature getting the sack with just a year left on his contract? Hmmm...not so sure. I could easily see Stan not renewing his contract in 18 months.

Remains to be seen, 6th place seems our place this season unless we go on an incredible run and Chelsea implodes a bit. Neither of which will likely happen but the squad has surprised us in the past when 4th place seemed not in us in the winter.

Hi AG,

I would have thought that the only thing that might worry Silent Stan is if the share price starts to fall which it shows no sign of doing.

Talk that Usmanov is set to launch another bid but I suspect it would have to be silly money to even begin to even begin to tempt Stanley and Usmanov doesn't seem the sort to just throw money at it.

Post #482709  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am 

Valencia to face no further charges for his facekick. It was seen by the officials.......................

Post #482710  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
We are in our own special league of 1 in 6th

I just looked at the table and you're right. In sixth place Arsenal are 7 points behind the fifth placed team Tottenham, with a goal difference worse than them by 13. In effect that contrast in goal difference, which I don't see us making up, means we'll have to win 8 more points than them over the last 11 games of the season. How likely is that? Not at all in my view.

But Arsenal are 9 points better off than the seventh placed team Burnley, with a superior goal difference to them of 18. That means to overtake Arsenal, Burnley are going to have to win 10 more points than us over the last 11 games. It's just not going to happen. So you're correct. Arsenal are miles off fifth place, and even further away from seventh place. I'd say the chances of Arsenal not finishing sixth are extremely small. Probably much less than 'extremely small'.

The Spurs game was our last chance to move into contention for 3rd, 4th, 5th. We are doomed to the purgatory of 6th place for the rest of the season. Unless something is done, we are likely to repeat that next season. We are the best of the also-rans, and it is hard to see much movement in any direction.

Post #482711  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:11 am 

socrates wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hi AG,

I would have thought that the only thing that might worry Silent Stan is if the share price starts to fall which it shows no sign of doing.

Indeed. I doubt these chaps ever even glance in the direction of the trophy cabinet.

Post #482712  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 am 

Soc,
The reason I doubt Wenger will be shown the door is related to what you said about the share price. Stan has had to put a lot of money into the rebranded Los Angeles Rams, formerly St. Louis Rams. He also faces a possible lawsuit in St. Louis, a breach of contract suit if I am not mistaken (and I often am :icon_mrgreen: )

So, for Stan, right now he's looking at the bottom line. I don't know if the lack of CL money has started to affect the bottom line as yet. Furthermore, Stan has always been a long term holder and sells when the market is drying up and no longer profitable (like many of his shopping malls).

He's older and the future of Arsenal rests in his son who will inherit us. If you want to know where the Arsenal will be in 15 or 20 years (assuming mortality rates for a man of Stan's age), its with his son. I'm curiou sto know what he thinks of us. Will he sell? Does he know the sport?

Anyway, Stan knows that pretty much any new manager we get will ask to spend money and spend lots of it. It will give Stan some pause if he isn't reasonably a assured that the spending will result in higher league positions and a title which to him means more money (CL, share prices, merchandising, global branding for tours, etc.)

We have to remember Stan is first and foremost a businessman.

Post #482713  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Having mentioned him, against Spurs what was our plan B way of playing late in the game. We have now taken the Giroud type of play out of the equation.

I realise we actually wasted a couple of chances late on despite not having a plan B so maybe it was not such an issue.

However I would like to see us try Eddie or someone else who dribbled in the box as plan B in the future. We never really tried a lot of high balls either probably because no one is much of a threat in the air. We might have spent some money but we may have restricted our ability to change direction during a game which really is a small step backwards.

Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.

Post #482714  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Özil, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mhikitaryan, jack and Ramsey all worth keeping. The rest are past their best or not good enough to regularly play in a team that intends to compete for the title.

At the moment we still have three more slots for non-homegrown players in the first team squad. Would like to see us strengthen our defence (GK, CB and DCM) in the summer. On paper we are looking very good attacking-wise.

Post #482715  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.

I wonder if Wenger might sell Lacazette. By the end of the season we might decide that neither of them is able to score enough goals. But I think the problem that needs to be sorted is midfield which produces very little in effective balls into the box. All the midfielders have good pass numbers but most of them are sideways and not the defence splitting passes for Aubameyang or Lacazette. Did your mate make any comment on our defence and midfield.

Post #482716  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hi Gaz,

To me the Aubameyang signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

The fact that we were so comprehensively outplayed by the Spuds and now have little chance of a CL spot coupled with the fact that he can't play in the Europa League means that within two games he has become something of an irrelevance for this season.

Post #482717  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I wonder if Wenger might sell Lacazette. By the end of the season we might decide that neither of them is able to score enough goals. But I think the problem that needs to be sorted is midfield which produces very little in effective balls into the box. All the midfielders have good pass numbers but most of them are sideways and not the defence splitting passes for Aubameyang or Lacazette. Did your mate make any comment on our defence and midfield.

I suspect that your friend is no more mystified than Wenger himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if both players are sold on.

Post #482718  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 pm 

socrates wrote:
To me the Aubameyang signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

It is very much a Wenger signing of recent seasons - similar to Sanchez, Özil and Lacazette. Big money for established superstars. If only he would do it every transfer window.

Post #482719  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm 

Is Lacazette injured?

Just saw he's out for up to 6 weeks :20hospitals:

Quote:
Arsenal said in a statement this afternoon: "Striker Alex Lacazette had an arthroscopy on his left knee in London on Tuesday morning.

Post #482720  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm 

Craig Pawson's reward for being a useless referee is to ref the League Cup Final.

The Fa really are a load of wankers.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12065, 12066, 12067, 12068, 12069, 12070, 12071 ... 14269  Next