Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 113 guests

Post #480521  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am 

I see Rixy is in deepest doo-doo having been reported for his outrageous racist treatment of black Chelsea youths under his control when he was a coach there.

I bet George Berry has allowed himself a wry smile this morning.

Post #480522  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Stan Kroenke is an old man.

Steady on he's only 70 that's not old .

We gave the Pakistanis a tune up in the third one dayer today , chasing our score of 251 ; at one stage they were 7 for 3 :laughing7: and after eleven overs they'd scored eleven runs .

They were eventually all out for 74 .

Hmm, someone getting excited about a one-day cricket match. Sorry, Pete, I'm afraid that's what they call 'demenza senile'.

Post #480523  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Warrior, I know this is asking a lot but is there any way you can put up a countdown clock to the end of Wengers current contract. It will have to be in GMT and not Aust time. If its not possible I understand.

You want it to just countdown til the end of his contract, or for when he actually skedaddles ? :sad4:

Post #480524  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Tomorrow could be City’s biggest test for going the season unbeaten. There are more consistent teams, as the table proves, but at their best Liverpool are better than all but City in my opinion.

Putting aside bias, if city go unbeaten how would that rank against our unbeaten season? Looking at just the results it could be deemed to be better because the league has more really good teams whereas we had a strong Man U, and emerging Chelsea under abramovic and also rans. But in the wider context of what City have spent vs how much we put that squad together for there is only one winner. The quality of the football would be hard to separate

For the reasons you give, I suspect most Arsenal fans would rate our one more highly. But if City drop fewer points in what, as you say, is probably now a harder league (in the context of a bigger number of better sides), I'd expect most people would rate City's more highly.

As time moves on I think financial doping will be seen as less of a negative about the success of clubs.

City are on course for a remarkable points total. If they keep it up, it won't even be a contest. I actually don't think that the league is better today. The top 6 have deeper squads,, but not necessarily better teams. The rest of the division is weak and so many teams park the bus that it is probably less likely for a big team to be beaten.

City play a good brand of football but certainly not as entertaining as our 2004 team in my view.

Post #480525  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:10 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:
Ljungberg also. Watched him vs England and signed him immediately for £3m. That was Wenger at his best too, taking an ingenious punt. The result, one of the best goalscoring widemen in the era with important goals and assists |(one in particular) that will live in the memory banks forever.

Overmars and Petit in '97 also have to be up there despite the fact their spells were relatively short.

Not wrong there Niall ... did he score on his debut v Man U .
Says a lot for our squad today Ramsay would be a poor man's Ljungberg .

That goal in the Cup Final ... most these days would be content to with a theatrical collapse and win a free kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PhjPCeIzs

Cheers Pete, enjoyed the video. Some great finishes in there...

Post #480526  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 pm 

Niall wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

That goal in the Cup Final ... most these days would be content to with a theatrical collapse and win a free kick

and also noticeable how many rebounds were scored. Pires as well was a master at sniffing chances on the rebound.
2 things stop the current team scoring these goals. 1. our woeful accuracy with our shots and 2. the lack of players getting in the box

Post #480527  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
Niall wrote:

and also noticeable how many rebounds were scored. Pires as well was a master at sniffing chances on the rebound.
2 things stop the current team scoring these goals. 1. our woeful accuracy with our shots and 2. the lack of players getting in the box

We only have 3 players in our entire squad who are technically capable enough of scoring more than 10 goals per season. That's Walcott, lacazatte and Sanchez and we are selling 2 of them by the looks of things, where are the goals going to come from ?

Post #480528  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm 

Mahrez plying very well away to Chelsea. Leicester by far the better team

Post #480529  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 pm 

Leicester not resting up, they are battering Chelsea, chances, possession, territory. It is like watching a top 4 team playing a relegation team who just pack defence and can’t get hold of the ball.

Mahrez has just done a shameful dive. Ref didn’t give the pen or yellow, can you only get retrospective bans for dives that do con the ref?

Post #480530  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 pm 

Malcolm played 85 minutes tonight, laid on the only goal after a good run and cross, don't know if he was subbed to allow a farewell wave or not but rumours are building very strongly about him leaving.

Post #480531  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:34 pm 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Warrior, I know this is asking a lot but is there any way you can put up a countdown clock to the end of Wengers current contract. It will have to be in GMT and not Aust time. If its not possible I understand.

You want it to just countdown til the end of his contract, or for when he actually skedaddles ? :sad4:

Just until the end of the current contract and then we could restart the clock countdown for each of the future contracts.

Post #480532  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
warrior wrote:

Just until the end of the current contract and then we could restart the clock countdown for each of the future contracts.

Better still why not change the background of the forum to black in mourning for our beloved team, if he doesn't leave.

Post #480533  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 pm 

I can feel the excitement building on the forum for the Bournemouth game. I am not surprised as we will reach the magical 40 points and safety if we win.

Coq played in a winning team tonight. I wish him well as I think he always tried his best and with the right players around him was effective.

Of course that is a problem that has been replicated time and again -unbalanced teams.

Post #480534  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:35 am 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Ljungberg in todays Arsenal would look terrible, and Ramsey supplied by Bergkamp, Henry and Pires would be scoring for fun. It's a very unfair comparison considering the difference in quality between Arsenal now and then.

I take your point but yes and No .... he wouldn't look terrible in todays Arsenal , the rest of our players would look worse and while I've no doubt Ramsay would improve measurably playing with that trio I don't think he has the same skill level as Freddie , while a lot of Ljungberg's goals were being in the right spot , there was a fair bit of skilled calculation in some of his efforts .

Post #480535  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Steady on he's only 70 that's not old .

We gave the Pakistanis a tune up in the third one dayer today , chasing our score of 251 ; at one stage they were 7 for 3 :laughing7: and after eleven overs they'd scored eleven runs .

They were eventually all out for 74 .

Hmm, someone getting excited about a one-day cricket match. Sorry, Pete, I'm afraid that's what they call 'demenza senile'.

Watch a couple of Arsenal matches McQ ..... you'd find one day cricket is wonderful viewing by comparison .

Post #480536  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:10 am 

Rich wrote:
Niall wrote:

Same ... watched that video , and thought "Gosh did we used to play like that ".... how refreshing we got the ball and first thought was head for their goal . Unheard of these days .

Maitland Niles is the only illuminating light in this dark abyss we've stumbled into .

Post #480537  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:10 am 

Rich wrote:
Tomorrow could be City’s biggest test for going the season unbeaten. There are more consistent teams, as the table proves, but at their best Liverpool are better than all but City in my opinion.

Putting aside bias, if city go unbeaten how would that rank against our unbeaten season? Looking at just the results it could be deemed to be better because the league has more really good teams whereas we had a strong Man U, and emerging Chelsea under abramovic and also rans. But in the wider context of what City have spent vs how much we put that squad together for there is only one winner. The quality of the football would be hard to separate

Logically it makes sense that if City plays a top 5 club away they will be more apt to lose. I tend to think that if they lose it will be to a club like Burnley, Leicester, Everton or Stoke away.

Top 5 away matches are big for City. They will prepare mentally as well as tactically. However, I think you can catch them (or any big club) napping against tough sides at home.

Post #480538  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:42 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Maitland Niles is the only illuminating light in this dark abyss we've stumbled into .

He's a promising youngster but let's be realistic. He doesn't have the technical skills of Liam Brady or the ball winning abilities of Stewart Robson. He's not even a teenager any more.

If Arsene doesn't leave in 2019 I'd advise him to move on, for the sake of his long-term career. Otherwise I can see him being what I will call 'Wengerised' like Bellerin and Iwobi.

Post #480539  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I also saw the game against Sweden. As far as I'm concerned he never played that well again. It was a superb performance and as a result, by comparison, I always felt a little underwhelmed by his displays in an Arsenal shirt.

:laughing7: " Underwhelmed " ..... there'd be a vigorous debate as to whether any of your adored trio of Clichy , Hudson and Williams contributed more to the Arsenal cause than Freddie .

Steel yourself and watch the video ; but then that's not the Bernadadian way it would be a toss up who is the more stubborn and blinkered you or Wenger .

Post #480540  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

He's a promising youngster but let's be realistic. He doesn't have the technical skills of Liam Brady or the ball winning abilities of Stewart Robson. He's not even a teenager any more.

If Arsene doesn't leave in 2019 I'd advise him to move on, for the sake of his long-term career. Otherwise I can see him being what I will call 'Wengerised' like Bellerin and Iwobi.

I've no doubt he will go backwards ... but I say Maitland Niles is promising and you pick out of Arsenal's finest in two departments as a counter argument bit extreme .

Post #480541  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:03 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Steel yourself and watch the video ; but then that's not the Bernadadian way it would be a toss up who is the more stubborn and blinkered you or Wenger .

I accept he contributed more. But Williams and even more so Hudson had skill on another level to him.

Post #480542  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:10 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I've no doubt he'll go backwards .

Me too. My guess is we're seeing a promising start that will be followed by his Wengerisation.

Post #480543  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I accept he contributed more. But Williams and even more so Hudson had skill on another level to him.

:53big-emoticons: Well done Bernard ...you are on the road to recovery .

Your reply prompts the question ...which is preferable have someone who contributes more or have someone of greater technical ability say like Patrick Vieira or Vladmir Petrovic .

Post #480544  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I say Maitland Niles is promising and you pick out of Arsenal's finest in two departments as a counter argument .

You're right, I did. I was going to explain why I picked those two, so maybe I should have done. That's the sort of level I think a youngster has to be at to have a better than decent chance of avoiding being Wengerised.

Post #480545  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I say Maitland Niles is promising and you pick out of Arsenal's finest in two departments as a counter argument .

You're right, I did. I was going to explain why I picked those two, so maybe I should have done. That's the sort of level I think a youngster has to be at to have a better than decent chance of avoiding being Wengerised.

Okay ... I see where you are going with that one

... just reading the gossip Liverpool , Man U and City want Sanchez ... in the past say with the likes of Frank Stapleton I thought f*** off you w**** and I hope your career turns to custard ...... however now I think I hope Alexis improves to highlight Wenger's shortcomings .

Post #480546  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Your reply prompts the question ...which is preferable have someone who contributes more or have someone of greater technical ability say like Patrick Vieira or Vladmir Petrovic .

Vieira, of course. But it's you going on about Ljungberg's skill in what I see in a somewhat exaggerated manner.

Post #480547  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:04 am 

Just can't see us catching Spurs with Kane in this form. Our players will be on the beach from March timeframe with only self respect getting them through games

Post #480548  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:39 am 

Sanchez not travelled with squad today apparently.

I find the club a total embarrassment right now. The only defence I have with any pi$$ taking from opposition fans is essentially to agree and laugh along with them.

Post #480549  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 am 

In the summer we could easily have a squad without:
Sanchez, Özil, mertesacker, Walcott
We have already lost coquelin (right decision) but not yet replaced
Also we still haven’t resolved the future of Wilshere. Mustafi was on his way out of the door last summer. Also Ramsey and welbeck will have to sign new deals or they have to be sold in the summer, we can’t have another set of players running down their deal. Ospina will probably be looking to leave as well......and Debuchy will be off.
Added to this is I don’t think chambers or elneny are good enough and should be sold.

I think that is 13 players who are gone, going or have question marks over their future. 13 players who were considered part of the first team squad.

Working back from this, let’s assume we sort Wilshere, Ramsey and welbeck contracts, and wenger is too loyal to elneny and chambers, that is still 8 first team players gone. Will wenger sign 8 new players?

Given the above I think we need gk, 3x CB, 2x CM, 3x attacking mid and maybe a striker. That’s is probably £300m to make us competitive. At least £150-200m to get back in the top 4

Post #480550  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:01 am 

As you pointed out Sanchez has been left out. I assume her is off. Under no circumstances should we sell him to Man U. I don't care who else he goes to but not them. I would rather he go to City. Never give Mourinho or Utd any f... thing.

Post #480551  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
As you pointed out Sanchez has been left out. I assume her is off. Under no circumstances should we sell him to Man U. I don't care who else he goes to but not them. I would rather he go to City. Never give Mourinho or Utd any f... thing.

I disagree. Sanchez will cause the biggest damage to Man U than you could imagine. He replaces who? Lukaku? Matrial or Rashford?

You've already got Ibrahimovich doing nothing with Sanchez training alongside him whilst the youngsters are played Man U will be ripped asunder.

Post #480552  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
As you pointed out Sanchez has been left out. I assume her is off.

He hasn't fully recovered from his sex change operation yet. :laughing7:

Post #480553  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Everyone goes on about Mourinho. But he and Wenger hate each other. That makes Mourinho alright by me.

Post #480554  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I disagree. Sanchez will cause the biggest damage to Man U than you could imagine. He replaces who? Lukaku? Matrial or Rashford?

You've already got Ibrahimovich doing nothing with Sanchez training alongside him whilst the youngsters are played Man U will be ripped asunder.

Never ever trust Utd or Mourinho. I don't want Utd to have any chance of strengthening. There forwards have real competition for places. Whether it causes them problems is a hypothetical. If it does not cause them problems he can make a difference to them Plus he wants to win and this is right up Mourinhos street.

I also see a report that Özil is looking at Juventus as an option even with a pay cut.

Post #480555  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
As you pointed out Sanchez has been left out. I assume her is off.

He hasn't fully recovered from his sex change operation yet. :laughing7:

I noted the error but let it go.

Australia is staring to turn into one of those PC zones. You could be probably struck down by a higher power for such a remark.

At the Comm Games we won't be able to be called man and woman - we will be folks. No gender on our drivers licenses and on and on it goes. F... political correctness gone mad.

Post #480556  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:11 pm 

Beyond caring who goes where these days. The club is comatose right now. Never been so bored by professional football.

Post #480557  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 pm 

Darren wrote:
Beyond caring who goes where these days. The club is comatose right now. Never been so bored by professional football.

Far more looking forward to the Liverpool v City game.

Post #480558  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 pm 

Čech is in otherwise it’s the same team vs Chelsea. No Özil

Ramsey and Kolasinac on the bench.

Can’t see us winning this at all. We’ve been woeful away from home, zero creativity. I’m sure we’ll have lots of possession but no penetration and hardly any shots on goal. Is there even any point watching?

Post #480559  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 pm 

Wilshere starts. Good news, feared the worst as he went off against Chelsea.

Post #480560  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:42 pm 

Darren wrote:

Sums up my feelings. Liverpool have Salah on fire, Spurs have Kane on fire and we are about to sell Sanchez and Özil and don't have a single player on form. The season is over, we have finished 6th. We will scrabble enough points together to finish above Burnley but won't catch Spurs.

There is little if anything to be interested in at Arsenal until August.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12011, 12012, 12013, 12014, 12015, 12016, 12017 ... 14269  Next