Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 119 guests

Post #480361  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm 

Niall wrote:
Great to come away with a result from the Bridge and to still be in the tie in a fortnight.

Have to shout out Holding's brilliant block on Hazard when Mustafi dived in yet again and went to ground during a dangerous Chelsea attack. Whilst he did some things well, the German was a bit reckless for my liking tonight in certain situations.

Arsenal's MOM for me tonight was Granit Xhaka who passed the ball solidly and looked to get it forward when possible. Would most likely have been Wilshere of course but for his unfortunate injury. Shout out to Elneny who stepped in well and was tidy on the ball when he came on.

Going forward Xhaka was good, although his set piece deliveries were shocking. I thought defensively, though, he was awful as usual due to his lack of mobility and could have easily been sent off.

Post #480362  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 pm 

socrates wrote:
Excellent result with so many players missing. We lacked any real quality but battled well. Mustafi sums that up really, a real trier who is aggressive and committed but makes too many rash challenges and basic errors to be considered top class.

Why do we get so many injuries, are our players made of balsa wood?

The more I see of Lacazette the less convinced I am by him. Not much service but he really struggles to get into games. You can see why so many big teams haven't been able to make up their minds about signing him.

In my opinion to have a hope of top four we need at least two big first eleven signings and to keep either Özil or Sanchez. I'd say a CB and a central midfielder (especially if Coq goes) at the very least and probably a wideman too but I won't be holding my breath.

Regarding Lacazette I also share some concerns. When we purchased him I recall that a female on one of the podcasts I listen to had watched him a lot. She said he had been prone to really struggling when not scoring. However she indicated that in the last 2 years he had been a lot better and did not suffer from the problem. However I am starting to see a player whose head drops when he misses a chance and especially when he is subbed off around the 65-70 minute. The other day I saw the first moment of real doubt in a game when he took too long to shoot. He was second guessing himself. He is starting to look like Chamakh rather than Henry.

Post #480363  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
Niall wrote:
Great to come away with a result from the Bridge and to still be in the tie in a fortnight.

Have to shout out Holding's brilliant block on Hazard when Mustafi dived in yet again and went to ground during a dangerous Chelsea attack. Whilst he did some things well, the German was a bit reckless for my liking tonight in certain situations.

Arsenal's MOM for me tonight was Granit Xhaka who passed the ball solidly and looked to get it forward when possible. Would most likely have been Wilshere of course but for his unfortunate injury. Shout out to Elneny who stepped in well and was tidy on the ball when he came on.

Going forward Xhaka was good, although his set piece deliveries were shocking. I thought defensively, though, he was awful as usual due to his lack of mobility and could have easily been sent off.

Yeah I mentioned his set pieces at HT. I don't think he was poor defensively tbh and he got his yellow for a cracking foul that Arsenal players should commit more often. Ok, he got caught for 2 fouls in quick succession after but neither were worthy of a yellow. All in all, a good game from the Swiss in my book.

Post #480364  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:
Excellent result with so many players missing. We lacked any real quality but battled well. Mustafi sums that up really, a real trier who is aggressive and committed but makes too many rash challenges and basic errors to be considered top class.

Why do we get so many injuries, are our players made of balsa wood?

The more I see of Lacazette the less convinced I am by him. Not much service but he really struggles to get into games. You can see why so many big teams haven't been able to make up their minds about signing him.

In my opinion to have a hope of top four we need at least two big first eleven signings and to keep either Özil or Sanchez. I'd say a CB and a central midfielder (especially if Coq goes) at the very least and probably a wideman too but I won't be holding my breath.

Regarding Lacazette I also share some concerns. When we purchased him I recall that a female on one of the podcasts I listen to had watched him a lot. She said he had been prone to really struggling when not scoring. However she indicated that in the last 2 years he had been a lot better and did not suffer from the problem. However I am starting to see a player whose head drops when he misses a chance and especially when he is subbed off around the 65-70 minute. The other day I saw the first moment of real doubt in a game when he took too long to shoot. He was second guessing himself. He is starting to look like Chamakh rather than Henry.

Yet to be convinced myself though I don't think he's had the chances you would have expected him to receive this season. I don't recall many glaring misses from him. He was poor tonight though - didn't make enough runs into the channels; poor effort in the first half and he deserved to be subbed by the manager.

Post #480365  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm 

Niall wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Yet to be convinced myself though I don't think he's had the chances you would have expected him to receive this season. I don't recall many glaring misses from him. He was poor tonight though - didn't make enough runs into the channels; poor effort in the first half and he deserved to be subbed by the manager.

I agree with all your points. The Giroud injury might cause us some concern as he scored so many late goals.

Post #480366  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 pm 

This was one of those games that shows how hard it is to assess players in this current Arsenal setup. Most have given up on Chambers and Holding (I'd like to see Holding get one more season) but today they showed why they were considered such promising players at one point. There's clearly plenty of talent there. They were composed, made the right decision at pretty much every opportunity, strong in challenge and worked well as a unit with Mustafi. Can't help but wonder how much of their lack of progress is because of them and how much is because our lack of defensive structure.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a new manager who is good at setting up a defense could sign only one defender in the summer - a replacement for Mertesacker - and build a good defense from that.

Post #480367  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Wenger has confirmed that Coquelin is going to Valencia

Good news, as he wasn't really good enough for Arsenal despite some good games and a decent spell alongside Santi. Admire his liking for a good, well timed, aggressive tackle. Hopefully it will work out well for him, great club to join in Valencia.

Post #480368  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
This was one of those games that shows how hard it is to assess players in this current Arsenal setup. Most have given up on Chambers and Holding (I'd like to see Holding get one more season) but today they showed why they were considered such promising players at one point. There's clearly plenty of talent there. They were composed, made the right decision at pretty much every opportunity, strong in challenge and worked well as a unit with Mustafi. Can't help but wonder how much of their lack of progress is because of them and how much is because our lack of defensive structure.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a new manager who is good at setting up a defense could sign only one defender in the summer - a replacement for Mertesacker - and build a good defense from that.

It's far too early to discard Holding. Young players have off days and they deserve a chance to come back.

Post #480369  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 pm 

Read on twitter that Lacazette was ill today but played through it - no idea if true but would explain his performance. Difficult game in any case, not much support today.

Post #480370  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 pm 

Niall wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Wenger has confirmed that Coquelin is going to Valencia

Good news, as he wasn't really good enough for Arsenal despite some good games and a decent spell alongside Santi. Admire his liking for a good, well timed, aggressive tackle. Hopefully it will work out well for him, great club to join in Valencia.

Good move for the player and the club. West Ham might have offered him higher wages but as you say Valencia is a great club to join and looking good for champions league places this season.
Coq was a solid if not good enough pro for us, seemed to give his all and never complained about being out of the side. Good luck to him

Any idea what the fee is? I’d heard around £10-12m which while it would have been nice to take advantage of an inflated market coquelin to Spain wasn’t ever likely to be that transfer. So with the Greek lads signing and coq off we must be in close to £20m profit for the season? Stan will be pleased

Post #480371  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:59 am 

0-0 is a good result to take into the home leg. Another cup final coming up?

Missed the game, and from the comments, seems little to get excited about. Good to hear the defenders put in a good shift. They need the confidence. Best to hear Jack made Captain.

Post #480372  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 am 

I concur with the posts that praise the result. I'd have preferred a scoring draw but leaving a cup semi final at the Bridge with a draw can't be overstated enough as a good result. Especially given who we had out there. We may end up losing the tie on a scoring draw but for now, its good.

I like Iwobi's skill with the ball, very good technical ability but he needs to raise his game up a level. Decision making, scoring. Also, holding on to the ball a bit too long. He's fairly young so hopefully he'll learn soon enough.

Post #480373  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:28 am 

Nil nil is a decent result considering the circumstances but isn't it away goals ? Surely it's unlikely we we will keep another clean sheet

Post #480374  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Nil nil is a decent result considering the circumstances but isn't it away goals ? Surely it's unlikely we we will keep another clean sheet

Away goals only count after extra time.

Post #480375  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:49 am 

Its a tall order for City to win the CL. Not with Barca in the competition as well as PSG and others but I think its not just possible but probable they will win all 3 domestic trophies and I believe that's never been done in the same season. I believe I asked that before a few years back and was told it has never been the case.

In fact, its possible they have the best domestic season ever by any side. Unbeaten in the league and the FAC and League cup trophies. Doable. Possible? Only speculation and Ladbrokes can determine that possibility but were I a City fan I would fancy 10 quid on that possibility. I'd love to see the odds.

I'd hate it and the possibility scares me but this season they don't look beatable and have a second XI that can beat almost any domestic side in the cups.

Post #480376  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Would've liked to say Iwobi was really good as well because I thought he did a lot of positive things ..

Like his drugs test ?

Post #480377  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 am 

Wenger names Coquelin replacement........

"The best way to replace Coquelin is to get Aaron Ramsey and Mesut Özil back"

He's just doing it on purpose now isn't he.... :angel7:

Post #480378  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 am 

Rich wrote:

He's just doing it on purpose now isn't he.... :angel7:

Reassuring that. Leadership comes from the top.

Post #480379  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 am 

West Ham make Javier Hernandez avaiable, worth a punt?

Post #480380  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Yes, I think there is some hidden talent there.

Post #480381  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Not even a small one.

Some rumours going around about Malcom from Brazil (playing for Bordeaux) and Cristian Pavon of Boca Juniors. Not yet gone further than the whisper stage, but I like the rumours. Like others have commented, I think Wenger’s time as manager is coming to an end quickly and a new manager with a couple of South American super talents would definitely make it more interesting following Arsenal.

Post #480382  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 am 

Rich wrote:

He's just doing it on purpose now isn't he....

Morning Rich. I accept your point about new signings offering excitement to fans. They also offer hope that they will bring improvement. But I'm perhaps being over-cynical, but regardless of that I simply can't stop myself from viewing new signings with suspicion.

First, might not Wenger be able to use new signings that he is improving things, at least potentially? Moreover, could he use that to convince Kroenke he should get another contract so he can work towards the realisation of his changed side's potential? I honestly think Wenger is selfish enough to use the pontential of new players (the new signings) to do that.

Secondly, any new signings will eat into the transfer budget available to a new manager if we're lucky enough for Wenger to go. Do we really want that? A budget which, with the money to be lost over Sanchez and Özil, might not be particularly generous. Surely a new manger wouldn't want to have his transfer budget spent by Wenger, nor would he want the new signings chosen by Wenger?

Post #480383  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 am 

Hazuki wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Not even a small one.

Some rumours going around about Malcom from Brazil (playing for Bordeaux) and Cristian Pavon of Boca Juniors. Not yet gone further than the whisper stage, but I like the rumours. Like others have commented, I think Wenger’s time as manager is coming to an end quickly and a new manager with a couple of South American super talents would definitely make it more interesting following Arsenal.

Fanciful rumour that Rakotic may be surplus to requirements now Barca have Coutinho, he would be a great signing for us.

Post #480384  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Not even a small one.

Fanciful rumour that Rakotic may be surplus to requirements now Barca have Coutinho, he would be a great signing for us.

But is Coutinho not a Neymar replacement? Or was that dembele. Either way, if Rakatic becomes available he nailed on goes to Utd City or Chelsea.

The news is Wenger is keeping the Greek lad we signed rather than sending him out on loan. Good defensive cover and promising, I guess, that he’s impressed that much in training that he’s staying but still, he’s just signed and he’s 20. We’ve now got three young CB’s with potential and Mert retiring, Kos heading towards a Santi Achilles injury and Mustafi half-way out of the door last summer. You’d think we’d need to sign someone a bit more established there in the summer. Hands up who thinks we will..

Post #480385  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:50 pm 

Ash wrote:
Hands up who thinks we will..

A year ago I would probably have been more pessimistic, but now I actually wouldn’t rule it out. Even if Wenger does stay, there seems to be a bit of a power shift going on with regards to transfers. Wenger commented on how he first wanted to loan Mavropanos somewhere, but the first signs were so encouraging that he now wants to keep him until May – it’s clearly a player Wenger wasn’t familiar with at all, and how many Arsenal players have we been able to say that about in the last 20 years?

Post #480386  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm 

As long as we're doing rumours: Telegraph are reporting Everton are willing to pay £20m for Walcott, and according to Guardian Man Utd have bid £25m for Sanchez and are willing to include Mkhitaryan in the deal.

Post #480387  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

He's just doing it on purpose now isn't he....

Morning Rich. I accept your point about new signings offering excitement to fans. They also offer hope that they will bring improvement. But I'm perhaps being over-cynical, but regardless of that I simply can't stop myself from viewing new signings with suspicion.

First, might not Wenger be able to use new signings that he is improving things, at least potentially? Moreover, could he use that to convince Kroenke he should get another contract so he can work towards the realisation of his changed side's potential? I honestly think Wenger is selfish enough to use the pontential of new players (the new signings) to do that.

Secondly, any new signings will eat into the transfer budget available to a new manager if we're lucky enough for Wenger to go. Do we really want that? A budget which, with the money to be lost over Sanchez and Özil, might not be particularly generous. Surely a new manger wouldn't want to have his transfer budget spent by Wenger, nor would he want the new signings chosen by Wenger?

If we sold Coq, Theo and Sanchez this window without any replacements I think the team would struggle to win the Europa League and thus qualify for the champions league. The lack of champions league again next season would hamper any new signings. On the flip side, Wenger makes some signings, using up the budget for the next man - or he goes on to win the Europa League and uses it to convince himself that he is still relevant and stays for a while longer.
Do you get much worse to get better? The top table is so competitive that a few season out of the champions league (without limitless money from the owner) could lead to a stagnant team for a long time even with a new manager.
Catch 22 for Arsenal fans

Post #480388  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Might as well stick with Walcott. :icon_smile11:

Post #480389  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
As long as we're doing rumours: Telegraph are reporting Everton are willing to pay £20m for Walcott, and according to Guardian Man Utd have bid £25m for Sanchez and are willing to include Mkhitaryan in the deal.

We need an Arshavin-like Jan signing.

Post #480390  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If we sold Coq, Theo and Sanchez this window without any replacements I think the team would struggle to win the Europa League and thus qualify for the champions league. The lack of champions league again next season would hamper any new signings. On the flip side, Wenger makes some signings, using up the budget for the next man - or he goes on to win the Europa League and uses it to convince himself that he is still relevant and stays for a while longer.
Do you get much worse to get better? The top table is so competitive that a few season out of the champions league (without limitless money from the owner) could lead to a stagnant team for a long time even with a new manager.

Don't mind Wenger staying if we win the Europa League.

Post #480391  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Don't mind Wenger staying if we win the Europa League.

Good joke Goonie. A 10/10 joke. Already a candidate for Best Joke for 2018! :53big-emoticons:

Post #480392  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

We need a new manager more urgently than any other

Post #480393  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:38 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

We need a new manager more urgently than any other

But I think Wenger will outmanoeuvre Gazidis and may even outlast him.

Post #480394  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 pm 

If Wenger had a proper quality squad - and I mean quality- then I would be OK with him having a go with it. So, a batch of new quality players throughout the team would be enough for me to get excited again.

Post #480395  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 pm 

The first series of True Detective beats The Wire or even the Sopranos in quality

.. erm that's it.

Post #480396  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:19 pm 

Mkhitaryan + Malcolm + £25m for Sanchez. Hell yeah!

Post #480397  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm 

Niall wrote:
If Wenger had a proper quality squad - and I mean quality- then I would be OK with him having a go with it. So, a batch of new quality players throughout the team would be enough for me to get excited again.

But Niall, Wenger is the man responsible for bringing this quality in and then managing it. He is no longer capable of doing either.

He has to go before we can move on and become contenders again. He has become bigger than the club, which I suspect is just the way he likes it.

Post #480398  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm 

Niall wrote:
Mkhitaryan + Malcolm + £25m for Sanchez. Hell yeah!

It's absolutely what's needed. Yesterday had that same feeling of a bare wafer thin side that got beat by 8-2 at United before our trolley dash that year year. Maybe we could get Benayoun on loan.

Post #480399  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:00 pm 

Niall wrote:

I will probably always be hopeful whenever we sign a new player, but I no longer believe Wenger is capable of creating a title challenging team. Even if he did the highly unlikely thing and splashed the cash on some great players, I just don't think he would set them up in the most efficient way. I think it was Squillaci who said that its difficult being a defender in a Wenger team because you are left exposed by his attacking philosophy.

Post #480400  Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Iff they give us back David Herd it's a deal.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12007, 12008, 12009, 12010, 12011, 12012, 12013 ... 14269  Next